The Timothy Files

The Timothy Files (Timothy Cone #1)

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  395 ratings  ·  16 reviews
In this shattering story of urban crime, Sanders introduces Timothy Cone, a private eye who digs too deep into the murderous exploits of big business - and uncovers a twisted web of incest, drug addiction, and gut-wrenching violence...
Published 1987 by Putnam

To ask other readers questions about The Timothy Files, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Timothy Files

Dharia Scarab

4 sta...more
John Mcconahey
He is a Vietnam vet and he owns a table and three chairs. He sleeps on a mattress on the floor and his occasional guests drink from emptied jelly jars – make that – drink ALOT from emptied jelly jars. Cleo, his neutered cat, is regularly fed such fare as moldy cheddar and turkey salami, but Cleo will eat anything. He’s having a relationship with his manager, Samantha. Timothy Cone is an investigator for Haldering and Company, a firm headed by a retired FBI agent whose function is to do corporate...more
Maurean
Sanders has long been a favorite storyteller of mine, whose characters I always enjoy. This one was no different, in that respect.
This particular tale centered on Timothy Cone, a rough-around-the-edges private detective for Haldering & Co., a Wall Street firm specializing in corporate intelligence; buyouts, takeovers and mergers. Through the book, we follow three specific cases that he was working: The first, a murderous real estate conglomerate; the second, a fertility clinic devoted to m...more
Marcia Bergeron
Three books in one featuring Timothy Cone. I enjoyed each one immensely, which is odd, considering I don't normally enjoy shorter stories. I loved the characters & Cleo, the tomcat. Perfect poolside reading.
Bonnie Murray
I liked this book, three short stories. I'll be reading more from this author :)
Dottie West
Better read as three distinct books with a little time in between. Some of the descripitions got too repititious, though would have been helpful if read with a time-lapse between books.
Chazzle
Dec 20, 2007 Chazzle rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lawrence Sanders fans; maybe Fletch fans
Not a great book, but just what the doctor ordered at this point. I almost gave it four stars, but it did seem to get a bit repetitious at times, going to the same wells for more water, saying the same things over and over, repeating itself...

I did like the lead character, who bends the rules, but knows what's important. Besides, he's rather funny at times.
John Gentry
a cheesy wall street investigator book which reads like the author had nothing in mind other than making the 3 individual short stories into a tv show of sorts. definitely entertaining though and easy to blow through on your downtime.
Loren
Oct 12, 2007 Loren added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Trcia and Keri
Since I read Beowulf and Frankenstein for work, my pleasure reading tends to be lighter and a bit more "fun." I like this book because the characters are great! You care about them and want to see them again from chapter to chapter.
Lorma
This is the very first Lawrence Sanders books I read.....seems I loved one genera of writing in the 80's...Mysteries!!!!

This story introduces Timothy Cone to us...a vietnam vet, turned private eye.Very entertaining.
Paul
A friend thought I might like this and gave me his old paperback, so I read it. I found it a little dull, but not bad. I might read something else by Mr. Sanders, but then again I might not.
Sibylle
Timothy Cone and his relationship with his cat Cleo is amusing.
I love main characters who are lacking in personal hygiene and like to drink and smoke.
Ann
Sanders creates a variety of sleuths. This financial investigator and his secreet office lover will knock your socks off.
Brian
Great story albeit a little seedy in places.
Cws
M San
Davenport
Davenport marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Mohamed Alaa
Mohamed Alaa is currently reading it
Aug 27, 2014
Paulo Muller
Paulo Muller marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Joel
Joel marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Donna
Donna added it
Aug 01, 2014
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
  • Murder in Vegas: New Crime Tales of Gambling and Desperation
  • Son of Fletch (Fletch, #10 - Son Of Fletch, #1)
  • Homegoing
  • The Outside Man
  • Dave Barry's Guide to Marriage and/or Sex
  • Saga of Old City (Greyhawk Adventures, #1)
  • The Descent of Anansi
  • Eureka
  • Mission to Moulokin (Icerigger, #2)
  • Probable Cause
  • Beyond the White House: Waging Peace, Fighting Disease, Building Hope
  • Critical Mass
  • Airborne: A Guided Tour Of An Airborne Task Force
  • The Civil War: Strange & Fascinating Facts
  • Fourth Procedure
  • Before the Dawn (Dark Angel, #1)
  • The Covenant of the Flame
  • White Cargo
Lawrence Sanders (1920–1998) was the New York Times bestselling author of more than forty mystery and suspense novels. The Anderson Tapes, completed when he was fifty years old, received an Edgar Award from the Mystery Writers of America for best first novel. His prodigious oeuvre encompasses the Edward X. Delaney, Archy McNally, and Timothy Cone series, along with his acclaimed Commandment books....more
More about Lawrence Sanders...
The First Deadly Sin (Deadly Sins, #2) McNally's Secret The Third Deadly Sin Second Deadly Sin McNally's Luck (Arch McNally, #2)