Start by marking “The Ylem (The Ylem Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Ylem (The Ylem Trilogy, #1)

The Ylem (The Ylem Trilogy #1)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  757 ratings  ·  83 reviews
An ancient book, a seventeen-year-old girl and an exotic boy from a supernatural world hold the key to freedom for a long-oppressed race, but that freedom could come at the cost of the human world.

Seventeen-year-old Kalista is suffering from a broken heart, so when her playwright father proposes they move their lives from New York to New Mexico because he is in need of in
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 413 pages
Published April 23rd 2011 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about The Ylem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ylem

Switched by Amanda HockingMy Blood Approves by Amanda HockingBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireFate by Amanda HockingTorn by Amanda Hocking
Self-Published Young Adult Books
84th out of 1,571 books — 2,513 voters
The Host by Stephenie MeyerFirelight by Sophie JordanDeadly Cool by Gemma HallidayNightshade by Andrea CremerShatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
best "eye" on the cover
129th out of 693 books — 1,609 voters

More lists with this book...

Tatiana Vila
Mar 15, 2011 Tatiana Vila rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: favorites
A must read if you like paranormal romance!
Midu Hadi
Jan 04, 2012 Midu Hadi rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young adult fans
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Dec 20, 2011 Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) by: R2R
Shelves: reviewed
I received this book as a part of Read 2 Review.

Overall this was an excellent read. This is one you should definitely pick up. There were a couple of storylines intermingled and the author does a wonderful job at doing just that. I was captivated, intrigued, and sucked into this story. I was falling madly in love with Tristan although I would say I loved Dean too! But for those with a hate for love triangles, there really wasn’t one here. Kalista knew who she wanted and never wavered. The other
Clare Marie
Honestly? This was a fantastic book; at first I wasn't sure if it was going to be one that I enjoyed, but as I got in to it, I really did. It was interesting, and you had to keep wondering about what was going on, who was who, and why things kept happening. It threw in quite a few interesting twists, as well, that definitely kept me wanting to read.

It's the type of book that only answers half the questions, and it makes you want to go out and pick up the next book instantly - something I definit
Alana ~ The Book Pimp
First of all, thanks to Tatiana Vila for allowing the R2R group to review her book!

Overall Impressions
I really, really enjoyed this book, far more than I even expected to! It's a good thing I still have some credit on my gift cards so I can buy the next book! The fact that it is a YA should not scare off any prospective readers. I did not find the characters to be overly whiny or acting too young (a problem I have found in other YA books.)

Basic Premise
Kalista (great name, by the way!) is not yo
Nicole
Dec 26, 2011 Nicole rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Teens and Adults
Recommended to Nicole by: read 2 review
This was a good book, not great for me. To me it had a very Edward and Bella feel to it. The start of their romance seemed to have to same characteristics with Tristan being so hot and cold and Kalista falling so hard and fast. I found that I still had allot of questions when it ended like exactly what is the Ylem? Maybe we are not supposed to know yet (obviously) but still I would like to know since it is the title of the book I just read.

It was an interesting story but I really don't want to g
Christie Rich
Aside from not knowing how to pronounce the title, I loved this book. I have to admit that I haven't read many shifter books, and I think I might have been missing out! lol.

I loved the world Tatiana Vila created! Can't wait to read more in this series.
Gina -
This book is hard to rate. I really liked this book, but some of it was a bit if-y. Sometimes in the book, mainly in the middle, the story seemed to drag on a bit and you wonder if it's just there as "fluff" because it doesn't hold your interest too much to keep reading. But you do want to keep reading (if it makes sense).

A lot of questions haven't been answered in this novel. We are left in the dark about a lot of things in their world. Yes, we see it from Kalista's point of view and she doesn
Maghon Thomas
Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle!!!!!! First thank you, R-2-R and the author! I'm totally dumbfounded!!!! Someone, a few weeks ago, told me I needed to read this book, but I'm not even sure how to pronounce the title, so I have been brushing it aside. BIGGEST MISTAKE!!!!! How stupid, I admit this!!! I got my copy for review and I fell in love! I don't know what else to say except GIMME GIMME #2!!! Everything is well done in this book. It is very well written, it's got a great cliff hanger, and it' ...more
Emma
Dec 22, 2011 Emma rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: r2r
I really, really liked this book! I loved Kalista, the main character. She is strong and weak at the same time, she is very human. I like the mystery around her and the ending really made her even more interesting.
I liked her relationship with Tristan, I am not a big fan of instant love. And even though this was instant love, because of the way they keep trying to push each other away, I loved it.

I recommened this book to everyone. I really liked it, it was refreshing and I am looking forward t
Tishia (Paperback Opinion)
17 year old Kalista and her father move from New York to a small town in New Mexico. Most teenagers would probably be upset about this disruption in their lives, but Kalista is suffering from a broken heart and thinks that a fresh start might be just what she needs. Things seem to be going well – she makes friends quickly and even meets a handsome boy who intrigues her. Her life gets a little crazy though, when she finds out that some legends are actually true and paranormal beings are living am ...more
Candace (Lovey Dovey Books)
This book kept me on my toes. I could never tell what would happen next. The ending was really good and I was so mad because I'm going to have to wait until the next book to understand why the heck Steve showed up in Ruidoso!!

So the story is about werewolves but not so much about 'the Ylem'. It was mentioned but I still don't know what that's all about. I kind of like how the story doesn't give so much away, so I know it's coming in the rest of the series. It gives me something to look forward t
Husnaa
First and foremost, I got this book through R2R(:

Secondly, I think I shall cry all because of stupid Tristan, can't believe i'm calling him stupid so ok let's go with stupid Esha!! I hate her so freaking much right now!! As soon as this book was halfway through, I just knew that it was not gonna be a happy ending (Thank God for a sequel) and I have to say it was very predictable.. I just wanted to smack him so bad!! The 2nd book just better be better or I shall scream!!

Caleb sounded so nice! I
Candis
I received this book as a Read to Review (R2R) - as always, thanks to the hard working folks that allow us to read this books.

This story follows Kalista and Tristan on a path of mystery and adventure. Kalista, moving from New York, has an electrifying power. Tristan, the small town lead boy, is more than just your ordinary elite tier popular boy.

Pros: Intriguing story line. I like the fact that not all the supernatural is thrown out all at once. She makes you work to figure out what the possible
Nikki  Peterson
I absolutely loved this book. It got my attention from the prologue all the way to the end. The twists and turns are fabulous and only help to keep the book interesting. I am definitely getting the next book as soon as possible. I was dissatisfied with the end of the book, but in a strange way still liked it. Just going to have to see if my hopes for the story line take the turn I was hoping for, or if it will shoot off down a different path and be equally as gratifying.
deanneluvbooks
Best! Book! Ever! I loved this book so much I couldn't set it down even for a second. Every time I was interupted it was like be torn awake from an amazing dream. I'm not looking forward to waiting a whole year for the rest of Kalista's story. I can't wait to find out what happens between all those men in her life. Wow, what a lucky girl, well maybe not because it might be really difficult to juggle so many hot guys. Thank Tatiana for such a great escape:)
Marsha
Dec 16, 2011 Marsha rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mature Young Adults due to language
I love paranormal fiction especially when the story line and characters go against the norm of vampire, werewolf etc. myths. This is the case with "The Ylem." I truly enjoyed this first installment of the trilogy. Seventeen year old Kalista moves with her playwright father from New York to New Mexico. She does not resist the move especially when her bestfriend, Steve breaks her heart after she confesses her love for him.

While attending the local High School, Kalista is suddenly taken with the be
Ameil
Alex
I liked the storyline of 'The Ylem', it was a good combination of the YA romance that I love with a supernatural twist that is a re-imagining of a well loved paranormal genre. I have never read this genre as it is presented in this book and I congratulate the author for shaking up what can sometimes be a repetitive subject. Unfortunately I didn't feel that the story flowed as well as it could have...but it's not all bad!! For starters, the ending was brilliant! I'm really keen to know what will ...more
Cami Hensley

*Warning* If you read this book, you will want to read the next one ASAP and it is not out yet. I know the Author is working on getting it out soon, but not having it to pick up right after was so not cool. ; )

Kalista has been the new kid in town after moving from New York to New Mexico. She has a little bit of an issue with Static Electricity and is really afraid of high speeds and driving by herself due to a car accident that took her mothers life.

Lucki
Jagged
"Don't think. Your mind is going to fool your eyes. Instead, listen to your heart and you'll see the truth."

Okay...so it is really obvious that English is not Vila's first language.
"You like to observe people a lot, isn't it?"
"I made up some really nice friends."
This made it seem that her friends were imaginary--which is pretty much true. They don't really do anything in the story.
"Do. Not. Mess. Up. With. Me."
See? There are a lot of odd word placements and Vila's sentence structures are horre
Shari

I really wanted to like this book... and I did. I enjoyed it, but not as much as I wanted to. It was just missing a bit of meat and finesse to give me that satisfying sigh of a great read.

I thoroughly appreciated the interesting twist on paranormal... it was refreshing and imaginative and rather unique given how much the vampire and werewolf thing has been done, and done again. I found myself interested in the history of these beings and wanting to learn more. I think the water crystal
Melissa

I didn't love it but I definitely didn't hate it either.

The book seemed sort of mundane during the first half - it gave you important information and brought up alot of questions but as the questions added up - none were answered.

The last 1/4 of the book had me hooked though and made my struggling through the first half worth it. Things started to make more sense and there was a lot of action. That is until the disappointment that Tristan throws on Kalista at the end, it seemed sudden
Shawna LeAnn
I do not know where to start with this book. Like seriously. I LOVED it. And for the first time there isn't just one set thing that made me love this book. It was EVERYTHING about this book that made me fall in love with it. From the strong characters, to the amazing plot, and the paranormal aspect that she makes all her own. This book definitely left an etch on my brain, and I can not wait for book two.

Full review coming tomorrow....BUT I will say, I LOVED Kalista, Tristan is a hunk who needs t
Lauren Helms
This book was kind of hard to get into at first. But once I sat down and got in to it, I enjoyed it. I didn't care for the chapters that where from Calab's point of view. But fortunately, there was only a few of them. I really liked the chemistry between Kalista and Tristian. There were moments that I felt there was a lot of similarities with Twilight. But, I did enjoy the book and I'm looking forward to reading the the 2nd book.
C.L. Bevill
I think I would have given it three and a half stars. This books reminds me of the Twilight series. Werewolves, vampires, and teenager girl, oh, my. Yes, the main character was whiney but hey she's a teenager. Then the author did a twist at the end. I won't spoil it for those of you who are reading it. I did enjoy it over all and look forward to the 2nd one. Since this was a freebie, I say go for it.
Luna Melissa
deffinetly waiting unpatiently for book 2.! a must read. a book the must be on your read page! youll love and wont regret. but i ask for the author to hurry. lol i want to read and know asap so many questions and speculations i want answered.. great book keeps ur attention until u finish all the series. RREEEAAADDD!!!
Lashae
Dawn
This was a great story, loved how it unfolded & the character development. I really liked Kalista as the female lead, just a normal girl & she didn't whine! Definitely looking forward to the next book.
Jessica
I felt it had a slow start, but still piqued my interest. Then all of sudden, the plot took off and I couldn't put it down! I cannot wait for the 2nd installment to see what happens with Kalista and Tristan.
E.Y.A.B.: The Ylem 1 9 May 01, 2012 06:16AM
  • Starcrossed: Perigee (Starcrossed, #1)
  • Mourning Sun (Highland Home, #1)
  • Fate Fixed (Erris Coven, #1)
  • Mundahlia (The Mundahlian Era, #1)
  • Tempus (Tempus, #1)
  • Gifts of the Blood (Angel's Edge, #1)
  • The Understorey (The Leaving #1)
  • Silver Moon (Silver Moon, #1)
  • Dark Seeker (Seeker, #1)
  • Warriors of the Cross (Warrior, #1)
  • Blood Warrior (The Alexa Montgomery Saga, #1)
  • The Book of Lost Souls (Ivy MacTavish, #1)
  • The Apocalypse Gene
  • The Pocket Watch (The Trinity Saga, #1)
  • Sam I Am (October Trilogy, #1)
  • Paranormal Public (Paranormal Public, #1)
  • Bridger (Bridger, #1)
  • My Enchanted Life
4719629
Though half of her blood calls her to Spain, Tatiana Vila was born in El Salvador, where she currently lives and works on both The Ylem Trilogy and her Away series. She's also a book cover designer and an eco-friendly jewelry maker!

When not writing, glued to her husband Mr. Keyboard, or cover designing, she can be found watching tacky reality shows, singing in the shower, buying baggy shirts, eati
More about Tatiana Vila...

The Ylem Trilogy (3 books)
  • Alluvion (The Ylem Trilogy, #2)
  • Zenith (The Ylem Trilogy, #3)
Break Away (Away, #1) Alluvion (The Ylem Trilogy, #2) Breath Away (Away, #2) Zenith (The Ylem Trilogy, #3) The Captain's Story (The Diaries of a Trollop Book 1)

“So…if you happened to be in Belle’s position, could you love a…beast?”
“No,” I said, immediately. He looked away, disappointed for some reason.
“Good, that’s…very wise,” he said, fixing his eyes on the windshield.
“I would love his heart,” I confessed.”
19 likes
“Hey, precious.” A pretty brunette slid to Tristan’s side out of the blue.
Precious? Who does she think she is? Gollum?”
8 likes