Start by marking “The Heathen's Guide to World Religions: A Secular History of the 'One True Faiths'” as Want to Read:

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  7 reviews
The Heathen's Guide to World Religions is a humorous but accurate history of the murder, lust, greed, and sheer stupidity that have made the world's religions what they are today.

"Hopper represents the most lethal of organized religions many opponents: a curious, well-educated individual with a sharp wit." ~Queen's University Journal Review

"Wickedly fun and informative.
Published February 15th 2011 by Eris Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Heathen's Guide to World Religions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heathen's Guide to World Religions

Barb
This book is a good survey of the world's major religions from an historical perspective. The cynical humor makes the book more entertaining to read (if you aren't too attached to any of the religions Hopper discusses). My copy had a table of contents and an index, but the book itself had no page numbers, so they were of marginal help in finding material. The many, many editing errors were annoying. They detracted from the credibility of the author and drew attention away from the otherwise info ...more
Book
The Heathen's Guide to World Religions by William Hopper

"The Heathen's Guide to World Religions" is an irreverent, humorous, yet informative book about world religions. The book focuses on the origin of five major religions: Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism and Buddhism. This 312-page book is composed of five major chapters based on the aforementioned religions and many subchapters.

Positives:

1. A surprisingly informative book on the major religions of the world.
2. Better researched tha
Astarzak
So...I think I would really like to give this book 3 and 3/4 stars...but Goodreads doesn't give that option. This book was hugely entertaining and very interesting. The only reason I would mark it down, is that it got slightly droll in a couple sections and at least the version I had had MANY editing errors (as if it had never actually been edited). I really enjoyed the author's humor...and even though at first I almost thought it was too blasphemous (which is funny coming from an atheist)...he ...more
Kylene Jones
This was a very interesting book that went through the history of five major religions. He looked at facts that could be proven and not the myths in the holy books. I found it fascinating at times at how much the three religions of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam all started the same way and all have the same basic beliefs. There is not much difference there. It is so sad how many people hate over these silly differences in a mythology. (No slamming please, this is MY OPINION)
Dan
A bit on the satirical side, but does a great job in explaining the history of the major faiths on the planet... Everything contained within does have a bibliographical reference... All in all it is a fun ride through history, letting you see how the modern religions were invented and how they kept the control over all of these years.
Brenda
Absolutely loved reading this book! Hilarious and informative all at the same time. Too bad it had so many typos and editing issues - but I wouldn't let that deter anyone from reading it. I had a blast reading this book!
Donovan Rowlands
Funny but clearly one sided (atheism) point of view. I recommend it.
Elijah
Elijah marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Igpereira
Igpereira marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Rick Strength
Rick Strength marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Daryl Chritsensen
Daryl Chritsensen is currently reading it
Jul 27, 2015
ANTONIJA VRSALOVIĆ
ANTONIJA VRSALOVIĆ marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Kayla Sue
Kayla Sue marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Charles E. Rogers
Charles E. Rogers marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Sirius Wee
Sirius Wee is currently reading it
Feb 08, 2015
Gabriella Barone
Gabriella Barone marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Rajesh
Rajesh marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
John Morgan
John Morgan marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
The Wolf
The Wolf marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Rebecca Prescott
Rebecca Prescott marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Mckinsey Trattner
Mckinsey Trattner marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Heathen's Guide to World Religions: Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism and Buddhism The Heathen's Guide to Christmas The Heathen's Guide to Christmas The Eschaton The Heathen's Guide to World Religions: A Secular History of the Many 'One True Faiths'