Start by marking “Darkscope” as Want to Read:

Darkscope

3.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  101 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
DARKSCOPE
a Ghost Story

“A frightening tale of lost souls, lost love, murder and deceit.”
---The Sierra Vista Herald

After photographer Chelsea McCord’s marriage falls apart, her great uncle Bob talks her into starting a new life in 1980s Bisbee, Arizona, the historic mining town with a notorious past. Bob's father, mining magnate Lucas McCord, helped build Bisbee in the earl
Published (first published November 27th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Darkscope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darkscope

Trina Talma
Oct 24, 2015 Trina Talma rated it it was ok
Judy Collins
I am finally catching up with some long overdue reviews . . .

J. Carson Black’s, DARKSCOPE, is a delicious spellbinding ghost story with elements of mystery, murder, horror, suspense, and the supernatural; Old loves lost, new ones found, a ghost from the past, a walk through the town’s history, and intriguing evil secrets from the past.

For me, this book was quite an amazing tale, as written by one of my newfound favorite authors, set in one of my favorite unique historic old mining towns, very sp
Misfit
Oct 23, 2012 Misfit marked it as the-kindle-black-hole
Not usually my genre, but it's free and the Bisbee setting sounds like fun.

Wendy Cantu
I'm the type of person who loves paranormal mystery novels, but this fell short. It was paranormal (ghosts) and it was a mystery (who is the killer?), but the story seemed to drone on and on and focus on tangents that didn't add to the plot. The characters were naive and the main character, Chelsea, was weak and kind of an idiot for being touted as being from a notoriously strong, independent family that takes care of themselves.

Some parts of the book were genuinely interesting and I didn't want
Nickole
Jul 05, 2012 Nickole rated it it was ok
Let me start off by saying, I just didn't like this book. Usually I try to avoid reviews like this, because they're unhelpful. I prefer to list reasons why I did/didn't so prospective readers have some insight into the novel and ideas that standout etc. but I can't... it's just a matter of preference and I didn't care for it. Overlooking the grammatical issues, I enjoyed the writing style. Some of the plot twists were cliche and predictable (kidnapper anyone?) and the sappy crazy girl love story ...more
Kimberly D Mattison
Jul 22, 2015 Kimberly D Mattison rated it liked it
One afternoon down....

Predictable, but a good read while recovering from surgery while home bound. Willing to read other books by the same author.
Liz
May 25, 2012 Liz added it
Not bad writing, just a bad story line. Too many characters that turned into too many OTHER characters. Confusing and jumped around way too much! I did not feel the ending resolved anything - just left me more confused,as the characters I could barely keep track of anyway.
Also, what ever happened to Chelsea's ex? He came back into the story and nothing with him was resolved.
Melanie
Aug 24, 2012 Melanie rated it it was ok
Way too much going on here in this one. Good enough story/plot & pretty creepy in spots, but I started to get characters confused. If I've got the feeling I have to go back and look up someone because I can't remember who they are - then it's no longer a casual read & more of a research project. Major buzz kill.
Allen
Dec 16, 2012 Allen rated it really liked it
Well written fantasy/ghost story, marred only by the ten errors I found. I was also somewhat confused by the color film until the explanation farther into the book.The author may get a list of the errors from amacd55 (at) gmail (dot) com.
Christine Howard
This was a frightening paranormal and since it was set in Bisbee,AZ it caught my attention reading about an area I am familiar with. Viewing times gone by in through the lense of an old camera was a captivating device.
Morgan
Jul 26, 2012 Morgan rated it liked it
not as good as the Laura cardinal series (this book is not part of the series and is the last book written before the series started) but still good. impeccably written as always!
Sharon Meng
Jan 28, 2012 Sharon Meng rated it did not like it
I read this author's detective novels and enjoyed them. This, however, is a Stephen King imitation, and not a very good one.
Mark
Mar 18, 2013 Mark rated it it was amazing
Reportedly her first book. A very unusual, novel and imaginative storyline. Great entertainment!!
Glenn Harris
Feb 02, 2013 Glenn Harris rated it really liked it
Nicely done ghost story featuring a sinister old box camera.
Nancy
Jul 23, 2011 Nancy rated it did not like it
not memorable
Candace Nola
Candace Nola rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2016
Peggy Geiger
Peggy Geiger marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Nancy Nieslawski
Nancy Nieslawski marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
skw
skw marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Cheekylala_kindle
Cheekylala_kindle marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
PJ
PJ marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2016
Lorie Johns
Lorie Johns rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Dee
Dee marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Bonnie
Bonnie rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Mommacat
Mommacat marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Laura Blickenstaff
Laura Blickenstaff marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Hoss
Hoss marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Maisha
Maisha marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
  • Scott Nicholson Library, Vol. 1 (Boxed Set)
  • Haunted: Ten Tales of Ghosts
  • 4 Gigs of Trouble
  • The Nightmare Within
  • Blood Mountain
  • Silas
  • Death Reins In (Horse Lover's Mystery, #2)
  • As the Crow Dies
  • Deadly Night (Ghosthunters 101, #1)
  • The Quarry
  • Bullied:  The Complete Series
  • Boggy Creek: The Legend Is True
  • Cursed! (With Bonus Material!)
  • Simon Said (Professor Simon Shaw, #1)