Start by marking “Darkscope” as Want to Read:

Darkscope

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  13 reviews
DARKSCOPE
a Ghost Story

“A frightening tale of lost souls, lost love, murder and deceit.”
---The Sierra Vista Herald

After photographer Chelsea McCord’s marriage falls apart, her great uncle Bob talks her into starting a new life in 1980s Bisbee, Arizona, the historic mining town with a notorious past. Bob's father, mining magnate Lucas McCord, helped build Bisbee in the earl
Published (first published November 27th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Darkscope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darkscope

Judy Collins
I am finally catching up with some long overdue reviews . . .

J. Carson Black’s, DARKSCOPE, is a delicious spellbinding ghost story with elements of mystery, murder, horror, suspense, and the supernatural; Old loves lost, new ones found, a ghost from the past, a walk through the town’s history, and intriguing evil secrets from the past.

For me, this book was quite an amazing tale, as written by one of my newfound favorite authors, set in one of my favorite unique historic old mining towns, very sp
Misfit
Oct 23, 2012 Misfit marked it as the-kindle-black-hole
Not usually my genre, but it's free and the Bisbee setting sounds like fun.

Wendy Cantu
I'm the type of person who loves paranormal mystery novels, but this fell short. It was paranormal (ghosts) and it was a mystery (who is the killer?), but the story seemed to drone on and on and focus on tangents that didn't add to the plot. The characters were naive and the main character, Chelsea, was weak and kind of an idiot for being touted as being from a notoriously strong, independent family that takes care of themselves.

Some parts of the book were genuinely interesting and I didn't want
Nickole
Let me start off by saying, I just didn't like this book. Usually I try to avoid reviews like this, because they're unhelpful. I prefer to list reasons why I did/didn't so prospective readers have some insight into the novel and ideas that standout etc. but I can't... it's just a matter of preference and I didn't care for it. Overlooking the grammatical issues, I enjoyed the writing style. Some of the plot twists were cliche and predictable (kidnapper anyone?) and the sappy crazy girl love story ...more
Liz
May 25, 2012 Liz added it
Not bad writing, just a bad story line. Too many characters that turned into too many OTHER characters. Confusing and jumped around way too much! I did not feel the ending resolved anything - just left me more confused,as the characters I could barely keep track of anyway.
Also, what ever happened to Chelsea's ex? He came back into the story and nothing with him was resolved.
Melanie
Way too much going on here in this one. Good enough story/plot & pretty creepy in spots, but I started to get characters confused. If I've got the feeling I have to go back and look up someone because I can't remember who they are - then it's no longer a casual read & more of a research project. Major buzz kill.
Allen
Well written fantasy/ghost story, marred only by the ten errors I found. I was also somewhat confused by the color film until the explanation farther into the book.The author may get a list of the errors from amacd55 (at) gmail (dot) com.
Chris Howard
This was a frightening paranormal and since it was set in Bisbee,AZ it caught my attention reading about an area I am familiar with. Viewing times gone by in through the lense of an old camera was a captivating device.
Morgan
not as good as the Laura cardinal series (this book is not part of the series and is the last book written before the series started) but still good. impeccably written as always!
Sharon Meng
I read this author's detective novels and enjoyed them. This, however, is a Stephen King imitation, and not a very good one.
Mark
Reportedly her first book. A very unusual, novel and imaginative storyline. Great entertainment!!
Glenn Harris
Nicely done ghost story featuring a sinister old box camera.
Nancy
not memorable
Marie Lehman
Marie Lehman marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Annie Chapin
Annie Chapin marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Shannon Velazquez
Shannon Velazquez marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Jeannette
Jeannette marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Donna Vish
Donna Vish is currently reading it
Nov 25, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Marjie
Marjie marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Oddmonster
Oddmonster marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Scott Nicholson Library, Vol. 1 (Boxed Set)
  • The Hunting Tree - Book One
  • The Quarry
  • Cursed! (With Bonus Material!)
  • The Scavenger's Daughter: A Tyler West Mystery
  • Dark Water
  • Fake Kate
  • Four Live Rounds
  • The Whisper Jar
  • Cades Cove: The Curse of Allie Mae (Cades Cove, #1)
  • The Haunted
  • 4 Gigs of Trouble
  • Ashlyn's Radio
  • The Nightmare Within
  • The Ghost Ship
  • The Mortician's Wife
  • Creepy: A Collection of Scary Stories
  • Big Easy
Darkness on the Edge of Town (Laura Cardinal #1) The Shop (Cyril Landry #1) The Devil's Hour (Laura Cardinal #3) Dark Side of the Moon (Laura Cardinal #2) The Survivors Club