Start by marking “Rage (Riders of the Apocalypse, #2)” as Want to Read:
Rage (Riders of the Apocalypse, #2)

Rage (Riders of the Apocalypse #2)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  1,540 ratings  ·  349 reviews
Missy didn’t mean to cut so deep. But after the party where she was humiliated in front of practically everyone in school, who could blame her for wanting some comfort? Sure, most people don’t find comfort in the touch of a razor blade, but Missy always was . . . different.

Published April 4th 2011 by Graphia

To ask other readers questions about Rage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rage

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsSpeak by Laurie Halse AndersonThe Giver by Lois Lowry
96th out of 507 books — 298 voters

More lists with this book...

on the surface, yes, i gave the second part of this series the same three stars as the first part, hunger, but know that this three stars is a shinier three.

this one also starts with a clever premise: if an anorexic girl was chosen to be famine for the first volume, who will be the incarnation of war for the second? ohhh a cutter. makes sense. someone with a lot of pent-up aggression who uses bloodshed as a coping mechanism.

the author says that, unlike the eating disorders from the first book,
the golden witch.
This was a very difficult book for me to get through. And when I mean difficult, I don't mean in the "poorly written, oh god do not want" sort of way, but more in the way of "hitting too close to home".

I am a former self-injurer, and I knew that the second book in the Horseman Quartet was going to have War as a cutter, but I hadn't prepared myself mentally and emotionally for the extremely well-written and almost graphically vivid imagery contained therein.

Continuing in the vein of "Hunger", "Ra
Jackie Kessler
Mar 05, 2011 Jackie Kessler added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Thank you, everyone, for reading RAGE and for sharing your thoughts about it. I'm donating a portion of proceeds to the organization To Write Love On Her Arms, so to those of you who have bought the book, thank you for helping to make a difference. :)
Melissa Miller is not okay. For starters her home life is sort of a joke. Her parents are hardly ever available, emotionally or otherwise, because of their demanding careers so they think all is well on the home front. They have no clue that Melissa and her sister loathe each other, want nothing to do with one another. They don't know that Melissa is deeply troubled, in desperate need of help.

School is no better. Melissa's been a social outcast ever since her ex-boyfriend told everyone her big
Where to start? The author has a wonderful way with words. The turns of phrase are so often beautiful. The dialogue between Death and Missy or Death and the other Horsemen reflect this so often. I found myself sometimes reading the same phrases agin, not because I needed to, but because the sentence was so wonderful I wanted to.

But… (and here it comes) I kept hoping as I read this that the purpose of the series would become apparent. That the overall story arc would reveal itself. Unfortunately,
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
I've only read two of the four books in this series but I really feel like EVERYONE should read these because they have such an important message. I've had my mind blown by both of these books now. Trigger warning in case you didn't read the blurb or are unfamiliar with Rage, but the MC is a cutter. I can't recommend this enough, whether you've ever self-harmed, thought about it, or never done either of those things before.
Note: I read this book in July 2011, so don't feed me to the wolves if I forget something like a name or whatever, okay? I still remember enough to re-review it.

I'll be honest, I don't have a very long attention span. If there is not something interesting going on or the pacing is too slow, chances are, I'll put it down. That was almost the case with this book. Instead though, I flipped through the 200 something pages where nothing happens, lightly skimming over it in case I miss anything import
First, let me remind you two things:

(1) There're a lot of awful things in this wide wide world: murder, rape, hunger, diseases, abuse, war, injustice, massacre, death, meaningless death. You name them, they are all there.

(2) At anytime, a great deal of awful things can happen to anyone and everyone, for no good reason at all.

So why would the author of this book thinks a middle classed, well-fed but emotionally unstable teenage girl who has a obsession with self-cutting, had actually suffered ba
Greta is Erikasbuddy
Its possible this might SPOIL Hunger for you.. just a tiny little spoiler... So be warned!

This book deals with a cutter who gets the job as WAR.

If you remember we OFFed the other WAR in HUNGER and well... it kinda repeated itself... but instead of WAR attacking FAMINE it was FAMINE attacking HUNGER.

I am looking forward to the next book... ok... really I want the book after that because it will be Death's book.

I'm still loving the idea of a Kurt Cobain look-a-like as Death.

Sure there was some sel
"Thou art war. Go thee out unto the world."
"Rage" continues the Riders of the Apocalypse series. It is the second book, but did not have much of a connection to the first, besides a fairly similar plot line.
Here's a short synopsis of the story:
Missy Miller is portrayed as a strange and misunderstood teen in high school. She always wears black and is thus automatically labeled as the goth and emo chick. She also harbors a secret-she is a cutter. Through the drawing of her own blood with a small b
Brandi Kosiner (Brandi Breathes Books)
This is a gritty and dark novel, but it drew me in and didn't let go. Missy was in a lot of pain, and she deals with pain and anger by cutting (self-mutilation). It gets pretty graphic, but it is an accurate representation of what a cutter feels and why.

Missy has a pretty good friend that tries to be there for her, her sister and her fight, but you can see her sister cares, and her parents are clueless and works a lot but they at least try to have some family time. Her ex-boyfriend found out a

Just wow.

I seriously am speechless here. Given that I didn't like the book at the beginning, actually, given that I didn't like the book until I read the end and sat to think about it for a little while, I am seriously stupefied at my grade, but this book definitely deserves it.

I live in a community that doesn't deal with self-injury and those types of problems. I mean, there are people out there that need help, but the topic of self-injury is not something that is an opened theme, or actual
Jessica Bierschied
RAGE, by Jackie Morse Kessler instantly draws you when main character Melissa “Missy” Miller confronts Death, and slams the door in His face. Missy has a fate that she must accept or she will surely die. Missy being a self-injurer she cuts, shallow and deep. Painful always. Bleed out the bad as she puts it, but one night after an ex-boyfriend tricks her into a mortifying situation she cant take it anymore and she cuts too deep. Only Death's voice can coax her to push through and open a white pac ...more
So I gotta admit, anticipation of this book (an ARC, btw) was another wash for me. I enjoyed Hunger, and was eagerly looking forward to some expansion on its world and characters, but wasn't sure I could sympathize with a heroine who cuts. Even more than anorexia, cutting was something I did not understand, but I thought perhaps Rage could do for cutting what Hunger had done for anorexia to me, and plus, there would be more development of the Horsemen, and that interesting take on Death, since h ...more
This is the second book in the Horsemen of the Apocalypse series by Kessler. I got an advanced reading copy of this book through netgalley. I really enjoyed the first book in the series, Hunger. This book was a good addition to the series. I really enjoy how Kessler ties the mythos behind the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse into teen social disorders. You don't need to read Hunger to read this book; it features a separate story and different characters.

Missy is a cutter; she cuts herself to deal
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Oh Death, how I love thee. You are quite possibly my dream man (at least for this week anyway).

Just finished Rage and was happy to find this installment to be much better than the first one. Maybe War just happened to be a more interesting character than Famine (who was sort of one note), but I think there's more to it. Something about this book felt more polished to me. I cared more about the character Missy's struggle this time around. Her story felt like the real story of a cutter. Every bit
Steph Su
I was really impressed with Hunger, the first book in this new series that combines mythological influences with serious modern issues. However, I have to be honest and say that the second book, RAGE, didn’t work for me quite as much.

I cannot say anything bad about this series’ intentions. These issues—anorexia and self-injury, body image and bullying—should be taken with the utmost seriousness, and yet Kessler uses such a wonderfully unique way to talk about these issues, which might have been
Kassi Tews
I liked the look of the cover at walmart so I picked it up to check it out. It is SO badly written it was painful to read. My friend and I make jokes on fifth grade writing assignments done from the first chapter and the back of the book. Well that should give you an idea on how it reads, slow, sloppy and inconsistant.
I started this book with a lot of excitement and a rather healthy amount of trepidation. Excitement because I was expecting a lot of fabulous things considering how much I enjoyed the previous novel, Hunger, and trepidation because I’m not too good at reading these sort of issue books.

Rage was the same hard-hitting story I had been waiting for. A lot of the scenes in the book were very difficult for me to read because I have experiences of my own regarding cutting, so I understand that manic ne
Herp Derpington
A Novel for Your Lovely, Sociopathic Teen

I love reading tacky teen novels, especially the ones that relate to the characters' various emotional problems. It's not that I actually enjoy reading them — it's just that the adult author's portrayal of the problem is oftentimes inadvertently laughable. I got the same sensation from reading this book that I had when I read Ellen Hopkin's Impulse. That's not a compliment.

The Characters:

This is the biggest problem for me.

I found Missy,
After I read "Hunger", I was so impressed by the authors writing style and creativity that I had to go ahead and read "Rage", even though it isn't set to be released until April 2011. The level of detail in regards to Missy's character is shocking and yet attractive, given the rage she hides within herself. This was a tough read for so many reasons. One, I couldn't wrap my head around the cutting and secondly, how could her parents not know. The plot moved forward at a great pace with more detai ...more
My thoughts:
This story is powerful, compelling, and terrifying. From the first sentence which is shocking to the end - where I found myself in tears - I couldn't put this one down! This is a tale of sorrow and sadness, suffering, struggle and pain. It is also a story of acceptance and triumph, forgiveness, love, and the power of belief in yourself.

Again, as with the first book, I am impressed. The story is well written. The topic is tragic, compelling, and way too real in today's society. As wi
This review is also posted on my blog, In The Good Books.

Rage is the second book in Jackie Morse Kessler's Horsemen Of The Apocalypse series, the first book being Hunger, which I admittedly read after Rage, but since the books have different protagonists, there were no spoilers.

Initially, I couldn't really feel for Missy. I didn't see what had happened to her prior to the beginning of the novel that was so bad she would take up self-harm. Traumatic things happen during the book that cause her to
After reading the last book, and how the current "War" acted I was pretty sure this book would be about a completely hate filled character whose only goal in life was to cause misery in others. Well, I was completely wrong. While Missy does hold some animosity towards others, most of her hate is directed towards herself. I don't think I've ever met or read about someone with such terrible self-loathing. As in the previous book, this one is a journey and a battle to conquer and over come inner de ...more
Rage by Jackie Morse Kessler Early Review
Reviewed by Moirae the fates book reviews.

That’s why she was chosen to become one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse: War. Now Missy wields a new kind of blade—a big, brutal sword t
If you've read Kessler's first book Hunger, you know how well she is at packing quite a bit of story in such a small amount of pages. If you haven't then you really should give her a try- her books really are incredible.

When Missy isn't feeling good about herself, there's one thing she can count on to make it all go away. It lives in a little white box in her closet & it is always there & never lets her down, unlike some of the people around her. Her sister treats her like an embarassmen
You can't not like this cover, especially if you're inclined to villainy like yours truly. You just can't. It has a freaking bloody sword on it which looks awesome, and its title is just Rage. It just screams villainy darkness and evulz.

Now this book is a girl named Missy, who, after being humiliated in front of the school, almost kills herself. But in the passing moments of life, Death comes along and names her War, one of the Riders of the Apocalypse. Sounds pretty intense, right?

Wrong. Wrong
“Addictions are notoriously difficult to just quit.” And so do I believe.

I am perchance one of the minorities who didn’t really like this book. I have no problems with the premise and writing whatsoever; given the fact that the premise itself was what lured me into reading it and the prose was beautiful, though quite repetitive. Indeed, it was very notable of Kessler to tackle serious themes such as teenage angst accompanied by self-mutilation and bullying. My problem with this book would possib
Angela  M
WOW! Rage was one powerfully emotional story. This book was definitely summed up well by it's title. Each page of this book dripped with Rage. Melissa Miller raged against her life. Melissa raged against her parents, her friends, her school, her ex. Mostly though, Melissa raged against herself.

It was a new experience for me, reading about a self-mutilator. I found Melissa very easy to relate to and understand because I was friends with a girl who cut herself when we were in high school. Melissa'
  • This Girl Is Different
  • Lark
  • Dark Goddess (Devil's Kiss, #2)
  • Fury of the Phoenix (Kingdom of Xia, #2)
  • Here Lies Bridget
  • Sleeping Beauty: Vampire Slayer (Twisted Tales, #2)
  • The Other Side of Dark
  • Neva
  • One Hundred Candles (Past Midnight, #2)
  • Those That Wake (Those That Wake, #1)
  • In the Arms of Stone Angels
  • The Siren's Cry (The Otherworldlies #2)
  • Consumed (Rayne, #2)
  • Like Mandarin
  • Trickster's Girl (Raven Duet, #1)
  • Witch Eyes (Witch Eyes, #1)
  • The Shattering
  • The Cellar
Some kids want to grow up to be doctors, or movie stars, or political assassins. Me, I wanted to draw comic books. Not Archie comics, either—superhero comic books. Maybe it was all the heavily muscled guys in spandex…

Around the time I was 15, I realized that as much as I enjoyed drawing (note that I’m saying nothing about the quality of those pics), it was a lot of fun putting words in the charact
More about Jackie Kessler...

Riders of the Apocalypse (4 books)
  • Hunger (Riders of the Apocalypse, #1)
  • Loss (Riders of the Apocalypse, #3)
  • Breath (Riders of the Apocalypse, #4)

“Prove it. I'll measure your words against your actions, and from that I will determine your worth.” 13 likes
“If Melissa Miller were an artist, she would have painted the world in vicious streaks of red. Nothing like Picasso's rose period, all soft and cheerful and so optimistic that it made you want to puke. Missy's red phase would have been brutal and bright enough to cut your eyes. Missy's art would have been honest.” 13 likes