Start by marking “Winds of Change” as Want to Read:
Winds of Change

Winds of Change

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  21 reviews
A shooting star marks the beginning nightmares for the small town of Crowley’s Point. Those who venture outdoors instantly transform into piles of salt. Is it the result of biological experimentation gone awry? A terrorist’s plot? Or is it the fulfillment of a horrific Biblical prophecy?

Among those stranded in the local hardware store are a newlywed couple who may be hidin
Published March 4th 2011 by Permuted Press (first published February 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Winds of Change, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winds of Change

Bandit
My kindle seems to have accumulated some of Brannon's work, so I thought I should check out the author. Winds of Change was short enough for the purpose. And actually quite decent. Not mind blowing, amazing or awesome particularly, but a pretty solid apocalyptic novella. Brannon didn't reserve to zombie which is impressive in itself, instead his end of the world is localized (to an appliance store and contained (within a small group of customers/workers there at the time) and has a distinct Bibl ...more
Edward Gordon
When supernatural forces do battle on earth, only one species can lose—humans. “Winds of Change,” a novella by Jason Brannon (Permuted Press, March 2011) is the exciting tale of a group of individuals left in a hardware store when the world begins to end.

If you liked Stephen King’s “The Mist,” you’ll want to read this one too. Brannon originally wrote “Winds of Change” in 2008, but Permuted Press has recently released it as a stand-alone Kindle edition, and at $1.99 it’s definitely worth a read
CasualDebris
A neat premise and a few promising details are all that that this short novel has to offer. A group of people are trapped inside a hardware store while the people outside are mysteriously transforming into piles of salt. Characters speculate as to what is causing the strange apocalypse, with chemical agents of terrorism or God's judgement being the prime suspects. The main problems with the story are weak writing, poor characterization, inattention to detail, wholly absent atmosphere and wasted ...more
Dinah
This story was not a new concept. A group of people trapped in a store and the world seemingly coming to and end outside. The fun of these types of stories is trying to figure out the characters and what is happening outside.
It was a good read.
Joseph Patchen
Decent book but old plot. See my review on lurid-lit.com.
Sheila
Okay, I admit it, I enjoy this type of thing. It's a guilty pleasure for me, reading apocalyptic, supernatural, bizarre, religious, weirdness. Reading this felt like watching an old episode of The Twilight Zone.

If you are a fan of apocalyptic horror stories, and don't mind religious talk such as speaking in tongues, fallen angels, turning into salt and the like, then this might be right up your alley, too. It's an engrossing, quick read, and available for less than a dollar on amazon kindle.
Pamela D
This is a short story that I got for free on Amazon. The book had some good elements to it and the opening felt a little bit like a Stephen King book. With that said, I didn't really enjoy the book very much. The characters were flat, and I never cared what happened to anyone. Also, the plot didn't feel to come together naturally. I felt that I was just being told what was happening and even though I was told what happened, I was left feeling a little hazy on the details.
Michael Stockinger
This was a great book. After reading some poor reviews, I had low expectations and didn't see the twists and turns coming. I'd say this is one part "The Fog" by Stephen King and one part "Devil" by M. Night Shyamalan and co. Though, don't let that review turn you off of this fun and thrilling quick read because I mentioned M. Night.
Joecon
Good read. Really wish they had half stars--I would have given it 3 1/2 stars. So I gave it 4 stars. Liked the fact that the author didn't give up the cause of the problems until almost the end of the book. Good ending, good middle. Overall a decent book. I think that with a little more polish the author will improve.
Brendan Howard
Aug 23, 2011 Brendan Howard rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Permuted Press completists
Bleb. I didn't like the flat characters, the expository and who-done-it-obsessed dialogue, or the tired setup. This is the first survival horror tale I've read in a long time that made it impossible to suspend an disbelief or really get into the story.

A big disappointment.
Stu
Gah. Started off ok then ploughed into christian mythology. The characters were so flat I had trouble telling them apart and I only realised they had names when they got killed. I was expecting 'and then I woke up and it was all a dream'
Cathy
A shooting star marks the beginning of the end for many of the residents of a small town. The remainder - those who stay out of the air outside - seek to discover a reason.
James P.
Story of good vs. evil where everything isn't what it seems. Not bad writing. Would have liked a little more to the story though. I would give it a 3.5 if I could.
Surya Halim
A fun religion themed horror. The situation of the survivors was like Stephen King's The Mist except that there were no monster of any kind.
Valerie
I was on a plane, it was short & it was a free download for my Kindle. So I really can't complain too much about how bad it was.
Felicia A
A delightful short for you horror fans...edited (by moi!) and re-released by Permuted Press.
Shawn Camp
Within the first five minutes I knew this was going nowhere.
Pat Brannon
This book will grab your heart before you realize what is happening.
Sheri White
Fun read - review to come at Permuted Press.
Jerome

I enjoyed reading it.
Safia
Safia added it
Dec 26, 2014
Shannon Velazquez
Shannon Velazquez marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Jeannette
Jeannette marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Brandon Tegan
Brandon Tegan marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Nancy Girone
Nancy Girone marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Tally Bro
Tally Bro marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Jason Brannon is the author of numerous short story collections, novellas, and novels. He has seen more than 100 short stories published in various venues. His short fiction has been compiled in collections like Puzzles of Flesh, The Machinery of Infinity, and Five Days on the Banks of the Acheron. His most recent books include The Cage, Winds of Change, The Misunderstood and Other Misfit Horrors, ...more
More about Jason Brannon...
The Maze - The Lost Labyrinth The Cage The Misunderstood and Other Misfit Horrors The Order of the Bull Puzzles of Flesh