Start by marking “Ordained (The Immortal Archives, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ordained (The Immortal Archives, #1)

Ordained (The Immortal Archives #1)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  348 ratings  ·  67 reviews
Normally, the school creates the hunters - not the monsters.

Abby Sorrensten likes to play rough. Ripping the horns off the foreheads of demons, manipulating lightning and setting things on fire with the flick of your wrist can give you a serious rush. So she probably wasn’t the best choice for the Order’s experimental training program. Thirteen years of isolation, lack of
Paperback, Second Edition, 335 pages
Published April 15th 2011 (first published March 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Ordained, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ordained

Devon Ashley
Jul 11, 2013 Devon Ashley added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Who would I cast?
description
Check out my post explaining why.
Abby: Rachel McAdams
Noel: Skeet Ulrich
Emily: Emma Stone
Valerie: Evan Rachel Wood
Gaius: Derek Hough

ebooks now FREE at all sites: Amazon, B&N, Kobo, Smashwords, iTunes and Diesel.

Loved the book? Get the code for the sidebar banner at my site!

description
Amber
Jun 25, 2012 Amber rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
*3.5 Stars*

Ordained was an entertaining read, told in multiple POV's. Butt-kicking, Abby Sorrensten is one force you don't want to mess with. She is part good but has a side of evil. She must harness this power so it doesn't overtake her. Once she loses control, it's hard for Noel (Her husband) to bring her back from that dark place. Her parents were partly to blame for the way she was. Her dad seduced her mother. Her mom was a good witch and her dad was an evil warlock. His plan was to keep Abb
Melissa
Ordained is book one in The Immortal Archives Series. The characters are entertaining and aggressive, and you ca't help but feel like you're right there with them.

May contain Spoilers.

The story follows Emily in the beginning, a born-hunter trained in an order focused on destroying vampires. They're trained from a young age and then set upon the world on their own to go out and kill the things that go bump in the night. Their training focus' on vampires but vampires aren't the only things out the
Steven Burke
It has been a while since a book has held my attention to the point where I simply have to keep reading. The writing style is clean and easy to follow. The fact that this story does not have a love theme was particularly pleasant for me. I would recommend this to any serious or casual reader of fantasy or paranormal books. For a first book, Ms. Ashley has produced an engaging and rewarding story. I look forward to future books from this author.
Dianne
Vampire hunters, demons, special schools to train kids to become vampire hunters, and long kept secrets, good vs. evil-of course you have to REALLY know who the bad guys really are and who you can trust!
Jessica (Step Into Fiction)
I got sucked in from the very beginning and my attention didn't waver at all throughout the entire book. In fact, it has me craving for more. Devon Ashley has made me a fan of hers all over again. I was lucky enough to get the chance to read Falling in Between for her earlier this year and I absolutely loved it. This book was more up my alley of what I like to read (vampires, demons...yeah my kind of reading) but it was equally good.

Her vampires are so different from anything I've read. Differen
albregia

Ever since reading Harry Potter, I've been seriously fastidious over magic in books. For me, you either nail it in the head or miss it completely. You see, it's all fine and dandy when some witch brews a potion or makes a salve to induce clarity of mind or visions or whatever. But I actually cherish the whole experience of being told about clovers and lavender and eye of newt. Safe to say I would have rocked Snape's class, since I enjoy the imagery and process so much.

Devon Ashley gives the read
Monaliz
My rating: 3.5/5 stars
Blog tour giveaway running until July 7th, so make sure to stop by!

May contain some spoilers
Ordained is a book about vampires, but it really isn't your typical vampire story. Our main character is Abby, who is somewhat lunatic, if you wanna put it nicely. She definitely holds a grudge against the Order, but you can't really blame her, since the Order raised her to be a hunter in the most extreme ways. You could really call an experiment gone wrong.
Little do they know she
Kristen
GENRE: Urban Fantasy
THEME: Vampire, Demons, Magic
RECEIVED: Received for review for Tour
BLOG: http://seeingnight.blogspot.com/
3.5/5
REVIEW:
I’m always looking for the next new twist when it comes to vampire stories. Ordained ads a touch of everything from myths, magic and demons that make it original and full of action.

Ordained follows, Abby Sorrensten, who is one tough girl and has been through a lot of hell growing up after loosing her mother tragically. Abby is raised to be a huntress but used
Kirsty
I was lucky enough to receive a copy of this via Goodreads giveaways, and I couldn't wait to sink my teeth into it! I really enjoyed this book, it has a wide spectrum of characters that will appeal to adult and YA fans alike.

The book jumps straight into action with a prelude that instantly grabs your attention. The action continues throughout the book, but there is also a good balance of character building too. I really enjoyed the the variety of characters in this book, I felt that they were w
Pamela
Rate 4.5

The Order trains hunters to kill vampires, but they are aware of a demon (Eraticus) that kills hunters for their auras on their 25th birthdays, as that is when their auras become the strongest. The only thing is, the Order never warned any of the hunters of their fate nor taught them how to defend themselves against anything other than vampires. So when Emily Davis survives the demon, they think that she's their only hope of fighting off another demon (Morphus) that is headed their way d
Cesya
The beginning of Ordained starts out with a bang that has you thirsting for more.
Ordained was a new twist on vampires and not to mention the vampire hunters (haven’t read about them at all). I’m not going to lie when I say I really hated the idea of the hunters living in their academy. To me, it was more like a prison without the bars. The story really started to get interesting when Noel and Abby arrived. That’s when we got to know the characters on a deeper level and find out exactly how Abby
Michelle
Ordained certainly keeps you on your toes! It is a very fast paced and exciting read. The whole time I was reading it, I found myself saying "wait, what just happened?" and "wow, I didn't see that coming." it's not so much twists and turns; it's more like an onion. New layers keep getting peeled back and new secrets are constantly being revealed. I loved that about the book! I was never bored, and I never caught my eyes skipping ahead a few lines. (I admit it, sometimes I do that during slow par ...more
James
Well, this was a weird surprise. Despite doing things that normally have me slamming the book shut, this book proved to be a entertaining, enthralling tale that I couldn't put down. A fantastical Four Stars.

Plot : Four Stars

Two main characters; one a vampire hunter returning to her school, the other a huntress turned vampire who is fated to fight the fight against a god's creation. Add in a vampire partner as the next main character, and that's pretty much all you get. Focussing around these tw
Althea
This was unlike other vampire books I've read before and I've read a lot. Yes there are the elements that are ever present in vampire stories i.e. stakes, holy water, the sun, etc. However there was also hints of Science throughout the book which piqued my interest even more. There were many things thrown together in this book, but I think they all worked well together. Not only is there scientific aspects, there is also the bigger picture that questions morality and aspirations of some kind of ...more
Amber
Abby grew up inside the Order, where she was abused on daily basis as part of her training. She was part of an experiment to try to make a stronger huntress. Little did they know that their experiment was about to back fire on them.

Two hundred years later Emily, a huntress, is sent out to kill Eraticus, however unbeknownst to her, she wasn't expected to survive. So when she returns to the Order, everyone is surprised to see she had survived.

When Emily reveals that she was saved by the huntress,
Disincentive/Feta
N MY BLOG with giveaway links http://disincentive-reviews.blogspot....

I really liked this book. The main reason is Abby of course. She is seriously a kick-butt heroine! Definitely a strong woman who has been through a lot, but still stays strong. She is also one of those well-developed in emotions and that’s the thing I care about mostly while reading a book. What else can I say about a girl who was trained to be a vampire hunter… And then turned into a vampire?

Talking about vampires, I finall
Karie
Jul 03, 2012 Karie added it
My first thoughts on the book... The prelude was intriguing and sucked me in from the beginning. I couldnt wait to find out what led up to the situation of Abby being abused and hurt like that. I enjoyed the twist that Devon took on vampires, how the original vampires could wear a cross and drink holy water and not be affected. I liked how it explained how they became that way. I know some readers dont enjoy to much back story because it can feel like an overload of information sometimes but I t ...more
Melissa Lemon
Imagine your parents ask you to get in the car. "Where are we going?" you ask. "You'll see," they say. You drive for a long time, through a place that's unfamiliar but not entirely boring. The scenery includes some cliffs, forests, castles and interesting people to watch. "Where are we going?" you persist. "Be patient. You'll see," they reply. Days go by and you still haven't reached your destination and you're starting to despair. "We're going to see Grandma's grave, aren't we?" You remember th ...more
Stephanie
*May Contain Spoilers*
I came across this on my kobo, not sure when I got it which can be a problem with so many sitting there, anyway I decided it was time to give it a try and at first I was sucked in and very curious about what was next. The concept so cool and engaging, Emily a young hunter destined to die at the hands of the demon Eraticus like the other hunters before her is saved by Noel and Abby who have their own strange ties to the Order, they enter the hunter compound to try and save e
Reading Vacation
Abby rocks! Sarcastic, feisty, impatient, and a touch of evil make up this rough and tumble vampire. Abby’s rough background made it difficult for her to trust others, and she learned to look out for herself. Did I mention her awesome power? Abby can create fire by flicking her wrist and she knows how and when to use this power.

Abby was not the only character that had a voice in this book though. Devon Ashley let several different characters have their time in the spotlight and tell their experi
Dinda Lestarini
Abigail Sorrensten was the Order's experimental training program. Abby was treated differently from other hunters. She was beaten, bruised and isolated for 13 years. One night, Abby lost control, killed the people who hurt her and left the Order.

Emily Davis is the first huntress who live past her 25 birthday. The order trained the hunters to kill the vampire, but not trained them to kil the demon. So for years, hunters have died at the age of 25 because Eraticus, a great a demon. She met Abby fo
Ayanami Faerudo
The story started smack down in the middle of everything. Okay, not really in the middle... middle but what I mean is that unlike other books I've read, Ordained didn't start from the beginning when it all began. Action right from the start with tantalizing backflashes to whet your appetite. It got a lot more interesting when Abby and Noel entered the scene.

What I liked about Abby is not despite how powerful she is there are many aspects of her life that made her imperfect and vulnerable and tha
Ana
Rebecca A. Rogers
The Order trains hunters to kill vampires, not demons. When Abby shows up after two hundred years, she sets everyone on edge with her brazen antics and fearless approach. Abby is the only person who can kill the demon after the Order. The one reason she stays at the training school is to protect her friend Emily, who had a run-in with a demon of her own. But is Abby strong enough to face the demon, or will he be the death of her?

Ordained is a new twist on vampires and demons, one which has non-s
Melissa
Mind blowing action with such an original Storyline. How characters in this book was developed is well done. The plot had a little bit of everything in it, and really pulls at your emotions. Do not expect to put the book down once you open it. It is not going to happen. From the beginning it draws you in and the pace will keep a tight hold on you. Ending will leave you salivating for book 2.

Devon Ashley - Giveaway, Character Guest Post, and Review At Were Vamps ROmance:

Step Into Fiction

Review originally posted at Step Into Fiction

Review completed by: Jessica
Julie
The beginning was a little confusing about just who the protagonist was, and the author had so much information that set the scene it really slowed the action. This did resolve as the book progressed. But I love this style of writing, very smooth and rich where you can visualize what is happening. I will read the next book in the series, great first book!
Tia
The novel was a bit confusing at the start simply because we have two heroines in this novel. I was like, "what is going on here?" Eventually I clued in and it was alright to read, in fact it almost got great. Albeit a bit confusing and wondering at certain times but all together I was pretty impressed.
Trista Siegel
It was a lot to keep up with but overall the book was good. It's not like any other book I have read. It was nice to get that change. I really enjoyed it!

More in depth review here: http://tristasiegel.blogspot.com/2011...
Witches, Weres, a...: New Adult Urban Fantasy ORDAINED - FREE 1 7 Oct 16, 2012 04:33PM
  • Dark Seeker (Seeker, #1)
  • A Demon Made Me Do It (Demonblood #1)
  • ReVamped (Angel Creek, #1)
  • Become (Desolation, #1)
  • Crossroads (Crossroads Academy, #1)
  • Descended by Blood (Vampire Born, #1)
  • Released (Agents of Evil, #1)
  • Undead (Ever After Trilogy, #1)
  • Bloodspell (Bloodspell, #1)
  • Earth (Elemental, #1)
  • Shining in Crimson (Empire of Blood, #1)
  • Airborne (Airborne Saga, #1)
  • My Heart Be Damned (Damned, #1)
  • Frost Fire (Tortured Elements, #1)
  • Darkness Comes This Way (The Guardians of the Night, #1)
  • Bound (Unleashed #1)
  • Darkness Falls (Darkness Falls, #1)
  • Beyond (Afterlife,#1)
I'm a mom, a lover and a fighter, a coffee addict, a total smartass, wicked knitster, a Microbiologist, a baker of fine yummy treats, and someone who will fight you to the death for that last Twinkie bag of M&Ms during the zombie-apocalypse. Seriously, my addiction is that important to me. Oh, and I say seriously way too much. Seriously…

Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Devon-A...

Ordained
More about Devon Ashley...
Nearly Broken (Nearly, #1) Falling in Between (Falling, #1) Waiting On My Reason Dust (Of Dust and Darkness, #1) Falling Away (Falling, #2)

“Emily smiled mischievously. "Your engagement was a rainy day occurrence? Afraid she would say no on a good day?” 7 likes
“She sipped the tonic. Her face puckered again. She gagged, covered her mouth and mumbled in disgust, "Oh my God!"

"I said it tasted better, not great."

Abby continued to force the sour tonic down in sips. She could taste a hint of vanilla but the potion left a bitter aftertaste that was similar to vinegar. Her stomach gurgled and burned.

"Water," she coughed after her last sip of tonic.

"No. You'll dilute it," Noel said firmly, relieving her of the glass.

Smartly, she rebutted, "Isn't that what you're supposed to do after drinking poison? Or is it throw up?”
6 likes