Start by marking “The Manga Guide to Biochemistry” as Want to Read:
The Manga Guide to Biochemistry

The Manga Guide to Biochemistry (Manga Guides)

The latest addition to No Starch Press's EduManga series, The Manga Guide to Biochemistry uses Japanese comics, clear explanations, and a charming storyline to explain the basics of biochemistry. This volume begins with a discussion of the cells that make up living beings, as well as the basics of protein synthesis, metabolism, energy production, and photosynthesis. It go

Published November 11th 2011 by No Starch Press (first published August 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Manga Guide to Biochemistry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Manga Guide to Biochemistry

Griseo Mitran
May 08, 2016 Griseo Mitran rated it liked it
En parte la culpa es mía. Al igual que todos los años me hice la promesa de leer algo "de ciencias", algo de divulgación, en este año. Pero este año me daba tanta (TANTA) pereza que lo he ido postergando. Un día gracias a un retuit que vi en Twitter a cierta persona con perfil "de ciencias" descubrí esto, así que lo busqué y mira como divulgación sirve bastante bien.

El problema es que está plagado de los clásicos clichés sexistas japoneses que me cansan mucho (pero MUCHO), sumad a esto que me c
Canesgalactica
Apr 04, 2016 Canesgalactica rated it really liked it
I've read the majority of the Manga Guide series and so far, this is one of the better ones as far as getting the basic mechanics of the subject matter across. My only complaints would be that the story is a bit sexist and the main character is a vapid little twit. Other complaints would be that while some things were explained exceptionally well, other concepts were just sort of glossed over. It also felt as though the author ran out of comic toward the end of the book and just wrote things out ...more
Juliana Cavalcanti
Nov 11, 2014 Juliana Cavalcanti rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Some of the basic mechanisms are not completely explained, while reactions, molecule names and more advanced details are tossed out without need, also unexplained. Maybe it could do better if it had focused on carefully explaining the basics and leaving the reader with references in case he wants to know more details.
Bill Leach
May 31, 2016 Bill Leach rated it liked it
A Manga story of two students and their professor provides a wrapper around an introduction to biochemistry. The young girl's concern with eating and getting fat is used to examine the processes of the body. A good read.
Melissa
Sep 26, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-nerd, graphic
Really wish I had this back when I was in college! Would have given it five stars were it not for the female character being a total flake who obsesseses over how fat she is in spite of being totally skinny. Bleh.
Katty
Decent for a basic introduction to biochemistry, but the elements of the story are vapid and irritating, particularly the sexist characterization. It's unfortunately because the concept is great, and it could be done so much better.
Spencer
Dec 28, 2013 Spencer rated it did not like it
I thought this was a clever, albeit silly, idea for a complicated subject. However, the biochemistry information was buried in this insane story. I found this book deeply sexist and annoying. I have no idea if the other Manga Guides are this bad, but I won't be trying any others.
Karina
Feb 19, 2016 Karina rated it it was ok
There was interesting information of biochemistry but the manga does have a distraction to what the topic was about. The explanation wasn't that clear.
Hom Sack
Jul 10, 2015 Hom Sack rated it it was amazing
This is a lively, informative, and entertaining introduction to the subject. I look forward to reading the other book on Molecular Biology in the series.
Heather
Jun 27, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it
Although the characters are a little silly, this is a great read. For someone who struggled with science classes, I found this book very helpful and entertaining and I wish I found it sooner.
Renata Ogusucu
Aug 02, 2013 Renata Ogusucu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Muito bom para um primeiro contato com a disciplina, que normalmente é considerada complicada e intimidadora.
Steve
Jan 28, 2015 Steve rated it really liked it
It is difficult for me as an interested laymen to vouch for the veracity of the book, but it sure is fun!
Joel Tejada
Joel Tejada rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2015
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2015
Brandi
Brandi rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2012
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2011
Shann
Shann rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2014
Flo
Flo rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2015
Szilard Bokros
Szilard Bokros rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2014
Matěj
Matěj rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2014
John Beverley
John Beverley rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2012
Jesse Wright
Jesse Wright rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2014
Andrea
Andrea rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2015
Kendra
Kendra rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2016
Wim
Wim rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2015
Xaverius
Xaverius rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2016
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2015
Priscilla
Priscilla rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2014
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2012
Chantell  Petrell
Chantell Petrell rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2012
  • The Manga Guide to the Universe
  • The Machinery of Life
  • Cartoon Guide to the Environment
  • Sunshine Sketch, Volume 1
  • Just Write: Here's How!
  • Red Snow
  • Evolution in Four Dimensions: Genetic, Epigenetic, Behavioral, and Symbolic Variation in the History of Life
  • The Life of Super-Earths: How the Hunt for Alien Worlds and Artificial Cells Will Revolutionize Life on Our Planet
  • Wetware: A Computer in Every Living Cell
  • The Manga Cookbook
  • The Monkey King: Volume 1
  • The Rootkit Arsenal: Escape and Evasion in the Dark Corners of the System
  • Life Unfolding: How the Human Body Creates Itself

Manga Guides (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Manga Guide to Calculus