Start by marking “A Little Stranger” as Want to Read:
Preview
Read Book* *Different edition

A Little Stranger

3.05 of 5 stars 3.05  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Sometimes everything is not enough...

Fran has a good life: a happy marriage to a successful man, a healthy, sweet-natured toddler, a nice London flat. Then, one day, she walks out, leaving it all behind.
As Fran travels to Las Vegas and on to Vancouver she is haunted by memories of her own childhood and driven to reconnect with her estranged mother, Ireni, whose descent i

To ask other readers questions about A Little Stranger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Little Stranger

Brenda
This is an easy to read book set in London, Las Vegas and Vancouver/B.C. about a Canadian girl who feels that she has lost herself when she gives up work to have a baby. A thought provoking book which, I think, many mums will identify with. I am now feeling very Vancouver-sick, my favourite city in Canada - I have been to almost all of the places mentioned there and on the holiday trip that the family took. A good individual read and probably a good one for book groups too, I'm going to recommen ...more
Bernadette Robinson
This was what I thought about the story when I read it a while ago.

Having recently read this story, I completely empathise with Fran and at many times have often wanted to get up and go. I think most Mothers at some point in their life will have wanted to do the same. Fran is a young Mum who finds that coping with her young son Louis has in many ways become very claustrophobic. Fran makes the ultimate decision to leave Louis and her husband behind. Fran loves both Louis and her husband Nick and
Peachy
A quick read at best

While sifting through the fiction shelves at the library, I noticed the headline on the back cover of Little Stranger, which stated that it was a must read for anyone considering having children. This compelled me to read the synopsis, since having children has been important to me for a long time. As was the case with my deciding to read We Need To Talk About Kevin, I was intrigued by a mother who loses her motherly instinct.

These two novels are nothing alike, and the latte
Peachy
A quick read at best

These two novels are nothing alike, and the latte
Teena in Toronto
What I liked about this book - the writing style.

What I didn't like about this book - I didn't feel any sympathy for the characters, including Nick, Fran's husband, and could care less about what happened to them. And some of the things that happened were hard to believe ... like Leslie taking Fran in, letting her (a stranger with no money) stay in her hotel room in Vegas, giving her a drive to Vancouver and then hanging out with her.

Given the nature of the story, I didn't expect it to be a happ
Rosemary
Fran can't stand being cooped up all day in her London flat with the baby while her husband works, but they apparently can't afford childcare for her to go back to work. So one day she gets on a plane and takes off to Las Vegas.

That makes this book sound very dramatic, but in fact it's not. Nothing much happens to Fran, her husband or the baby. The interesting part for me was the focus on Fran's family in Vancouver, especially her alcoholic mother, a woman of Doukhobor heritage that I knew nothi
Lindybee
Many mothers could relate to the feeling of wanting to escape the responsibility of a young child and I think that the premise of this book is believable although I did struggle a little with some of the co-incidental nature of the plot. Without giving too much away, I did believe in the main character although I felt that the character of her husband didn't have the same depth. The writing is lovely to read with great descriptions giving a good sense of place.
Jamaie
While the book started out strong for me, towards the middle, I was feeling like there was just too much detail for my taste....getting boring in spots. I don't know...open ending...not knowing really what the plan would be...even though, it was hinted at on the side of the wife and the husband. Either way, I left the book wanting only good for the family & wanting it to work out.
Jennifer D
I was mostly annoyed with the main character in this book. The concept is something I am sure many people consider - just taking off - but this novel just wasn't that strong to hold my attention and make me like it.
Talea
Written from a perspective that I don't think is widely enough acknowledged. She's a new mom who realizes she hates being a mom. Whoops.
It was a good read, nothing amazing, but worth it.
Mary Curran
The loneliness of life is explored but in an "uplifting" way. We all have our limitations, to know them is to move forward. Enjoyed this much more than I thought I would.
Mabel
It was okay. I enjoyed reading it, but I thought it tried to tackle some pretty ambitious themes and the characters were just not well-developed enough for the task.
Martinxo
Aug 09, 2007 Martinxo rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: a mother-to-be
I enjoyed this well written book...somewhat unlikely but hell, that's what fiction is all about.
Sonam
Sonam marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Roxie
Roxie marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Amy Simpson
Amy Simpson marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Bart
Bart marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Ana Maria
Ana Maria marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Kate Pullinger is an award-winning writer of novels, short stories and digital works. Her most recent book is LANDING GEAR, out in Canada in April 2014, the US and UK in May 2014. She is Professor of Creative Writing and Digital Media at Bath Spa University.

Born in Cranbrook, British Columbia, Kate dropped out of McGill University after a year and a half of not studying philosophy and literature.
More about Kate Pullinger...
Mistress Of Nothing Landing Gear Weird Sister Where Does Kissing End? The Last Time I Saw Jane