Start by marking “A Little Stranger” as Want to Read:
A Little Stranger

Read Book* *Different edition

A Little Stranger

Sometimes everything is not enough...

Fran has a good life: a happy marriage to a successful man, a healthy, sweet-natured toddler, a nice London flat. Then, one day, she walks out, leaving it all behind.
As Fran travels to Las Vegas and on to Vancouver she is haunted by memories of her own childhood and driven to reconnect with her estranged mother, Ireni, whose descent i

To ask other readers questions about A Little Stranger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Little Stranger

Brenda
Jul 11, 2013 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
This is an easy to read book set in London, Las Vegas and Vancouver/B.C. about a Canadian girl who feels that she has lost herself when she gives up work to have a baby. A thought provoking book which, I think, many mums will identify with. I am now feeling very Vancouver-sick, my favourite city in Canada - I have been to almost all of the places mentioned there and on the holiday trip that the family took. A good individual read and probably a good one for book groups too, I'm going to recommen ...more
Arzun Lamichhane
Oct 26, 2016 Arzun Lamichhane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Powerful insight to motherhood. Brilliant!!!
Bernadette Robinson
Mar 30, 2013 Bernadette Robinson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: slow-burner
This was what I thought about the story when I read it a while ago.

Having recently read this story, I completely empathise with Fran and at many times have often wanted to get up and go. I think most Mothers at some point in their life will have wanted to do the same. Fran is a young Mum who finds that coping with her young son Louis has in many ways become very claustrophobic. Fran makes the ultimate decision to leave Louis and her husband behind. Fran loves both Louis and her husband Nick and
Peachy
A quick read at best

While sifting through the fiction shelves at the library, I noticed the headline on the back cover of Little Stranger, which stated that it was a must read for anyone considering having children. This compelled me to read the synopsis, since having children has been important to me for a long time. As was the case with my deciding to read We Need To Talk About Kevin, I was intrigued by a mother who loses her motherly instinct.

These two novels are nothing alike, and the latte
Peachy
A quick read at best

These two novels are nothing alike, and the latte
Teena in Toronto
Jul 03, 2012 Teena in Toronto rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What I liked about this book - the writing style.

What I didn't like about this book - I didn't feel any sympathy for the characters, including Nick, Fran's husband, and could care less about what happened to them. And some of the things that happened were hard to believe ... like Leslie taking Fran in, letting her (a stranger with no money) stay in her hotel room in Vegas, giving her a drive to Vancouver and then hanging out with her.

Given the nature of the story, I didn't expect it to be a happ
Rosemary
Fran can't stand being cooped up all day in her London flat with the baby while her husband works, but they apparently can't afford childcare for her to go back to work. So one day she gets on a plane and takes off to Las Vegas.

That makes this book sound very dramatic, but in fact it's not. Nothing much happens to Fran, her husband or the baby. The interesting part for me was the focus on Fran's family in Vancouver, especially her alcoholic mother, a woman of Doukhobor heritage that I knew nothi
L.A. Berry
Many mothers could relate to the feeling of wanting to escape the responsibility of a young child and I think that the premise of this book is believable although I did struggle a little with some of the co-incidental nature of the plot. Without giving too much away, I did believe in the main character although I felt that the character of her husband didn't have the same depth. The writing is lovely to read with great descriptions giving a good sense of place.
Jamaie
Mar 29, 2010 Jamaie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While the book started out strong for me, towards the middle, I was feeling like there was just too much detail for my taste....getting boring in spots. I don't know...open ending...not knowing really what the plan would be...even though, it was hinted at on the side of the wife and the husband. Either way, I left the book wanting only good for the family & wanting it to work out.
Katerina
Oct 12, 2015 Katerina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was really good. It is more about a broken family then it is about Fran leaving her son. It about what happens to make a broken family, and about how a mother's broken family effects her children. Each view of the story is different. I only wish it was longer, and the characters thoughts explored more.
Aug 31, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: f2f-book-group
I was mostly annoyed with the main character in this book. The concept is something I am sure many people consider - just taking off - but this novel just wasn't that strong to hold my attention and make me like it.
Mabel
Feb 10, 2013 Mabel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was okay. I enjoyed reading it, but I thought it tried to tackle some pretty ambitious themes and the characters were just not well-developed enough for the task.
Talea
Jan 20, 2008 Talea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written from a perspective that I don't think is widely enough acknowledged. She's a new mom who realizes she hates being a mom. Whoops.
It was a good read, nothing amazing, but worth it.
Mary Curran
Jan 04, 2014 Mary Curran rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The loneliness of life is explored but in an "uplifting" way. We all have our limitations, to know them is to move forward. Enjoyed this much more than I thought I would.
Theryn Fleming
I wrote about A Little Stranger here.
Martinxo
Aug 09, 2007 Martinxo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: a mother-to-be
I enjoyed this well written book...somewhat unlikely but hell, that's what fiction is all about.
Amina
Amina rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2016
Tara
Tara rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2011
Becky
Becky rated it it was ok
Jan 16, 2012
Melanie Hodson
Melanie Hodson rated it it was ok
Apr 30, 2013
Shannon
Shannon rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Toni
Toni rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2013
Saeedeh
Saeedeh rated it it was ok
Apr 11, 2009
Romie
Romie rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2016
Angela
Angela rated it it was ok
Jul 10, 2012
Janleighton
Janleighton rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2012
Angie Swain
Angie Swain rated it did not like it
Aug 30, 2013
Vladimira Fonfarova
Vladimira Fonfarova rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2016
Catbrat101
Catbrat101 rated it did not like it
Jul 02, 2011
Jody
Jody rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Kate Pullinger is an award-winning writer of novels, short stories and digital works. Her most recent book is LANDING GEAR, out in Canada in April 2014, the US and UK in May 2014. She is Professor of Creative Writing and Digital Media at Bath Spa University.

Born in Cranbrook, British Columbia, Kate dropped out of McGill University after a year and a half of not studying philosophy and literature.
More about Kate Pullinger...