Start by marking “Trifecta” as Want to Read:
Trifecta

Trifecta

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  282 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Mark and Alistair think they’re happy with their open relationship -- they can have all the anonymous sex they want, and still come home to each other for love and affection. That changes when they discover that they’ve both hooked up with the same guy, and, worse, that they’re both falling for him.

Tyler is a take-it-as-it-comes type, happy to coast through life on his goo
Published March 15th 2011 by Loose Id

To ask other readers questions about Trifecta, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trifecta

DarienMoya
^^ITS A SAD DAY IN HISTORY, WHEN I DON'T LIKE 3 MEN DOING EACH OTHER!^^

More of my reviews and thoughts on my blog PANTS OFF REVIEWS

All the ways I was excited to read this one. A book from one of my favourite authors, and about the genre she is excellent at. I was like “bring on the ménage a trois” halfway through the book I was literally in tears of frustration. With all honesty I thought ‘Kate Sherwood did not write this’ there is just no freaking way. I am supposed to be loving the hell out o
Kassa
Trifecta is a nice, sexy ménage that has some incredibly hot sex scenes and a pseudo believable relationship resolution. I didn’t really buy into it, nowhere near as much as the Dark Horse series by the same author. However those that like m/m/m romances should appreciate this offering, especially since there is an abundance of sex to help smooth over the rough parts. Those that are iffy on ménage may not appreciate this one since the main couple essential cheat on each other with the same young ...more
Kate Sherwood
Mar 17, 2011 Kate Sherwood added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: mine
Sadonna
So I'm giving this a 3 because the writing is good. I did not, however, like these characters with the exception of Tyler. Somehow I felt absolutely NO connection between Mark and Alistair nor to them. Honestly, I didn't care all that much what happened to them. I suppose I had some sympathy for Mark because he is being pulled in a lot of directions with Alistair, his ex-wife, his children, his job and Tyler. Alistair I just really did not care for at all.

Honestly, I think this would have been
Kira

4.5 stars.

I read this as soon as it was out and I did love it. It wasn't amazing in the same way than Dark Horse and the sequel were me, but only a few books ever are.

As a menage, it worked wonderfully. The view was refreshing, not quite like anything I've read before. How the three way relationship came to be was quite original and very interesting.

I liked the complexity of the characters and found all of the main characters very endearing. They were all faulty in some ways and that made them s
Lee Brazil
I liked this story a lot, but found that the end didn't satisfy my needs. It was touching, but the long leap from "Let's try it" to the epilogue of "Yay! It worked"... I felt a little like the middle of the story was missing. I loved the characters, they were well developed, and the dynamic of the relationship between the established couple was intriguing. The potential of love between people who basically don't fulfill all of one another's physical needs was interesting. A triad was the perfect ...more
Buda
Mark wasn't particularly likeable and didn't have enough of a presence in the book for me to care whether or not he and Alistair could work it out, much less if Tyler was their magic solution. I liked Tyler. I liked Alistair. Not sure I liked them together. There's a lot of using going on between these three and poor Tyler seems to be getting the shaft (pun not intended).

2.75
Snowtulip
May 29, 2011 Snowtulip rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Snowtulip by: grumpybybirth
Shelves: m-m
I really enjoy Kate Sherwood's writing, but this book wasn't for me. I didn't really feel the strength of the characters or the relationship. I liked Tyler and kept wishing this was a different story with him.
Kiki
2.5 It kept my interest in a soap opera type way, but I didn't find the relationship(s) convincing. It felt more like friends-with-benefits all the way around.
Mercedes

This book threads thru some fairly murky waters in more ways than one. But I liked that about the story.
Jenre
I’ve read a couple of other Kate Sherwood m/m/m novels and found them to be well written and thoughtful studies on the dynamics between a three way relationship. Whilst that thoughtfulness was still evident in this book, I simply didn’t really like the characters or their motivations for being in a relationship with one another and as a result this book missed the mark slightly for me.

The story begins with two men who are lovers and in an open relationship. Mark is a pilot and often away from ho
Allie
Mark and Alistair are the established couple. Mark left his wife of 15 years when he realized he could no longer go on living a lie. The men have an open relationship which they pursue while Mark is away on business (he's an airline pilot). One day, when Alistair's away, Mark picks up a much younger man, Tyler, at a longer club and they go back to Mark and Alistair's home and have a sex against the bedroom wall. Unfortunately for Mark Alistair's trip was cut short and he gets home just as the se ...more
Mary
There are some (very slight) similarities between these guys relationship dynamics and the guys from the Dark Horse'verse, BUT Tyler, Alistair, and Mark are each dealing with a whole different set of issues. Mark is working through the aftermath of a divorce-dealing with an understandably hurt but bitter ex-wife, fighting to keep a relationship with his children, and struggling to express himself as a gay man in public. Alistair is in love with Mark but he feels pressured and guilty because of w ...more
Adara
I enjoy Kate's menage stories. I like Dark Horse and sequel more because of the stronger emotions evoked, but these three are a strong trifecta as well. The course of events takes place over a couple of months, with an epilogue an unspecified amount of time later. It's intricately woven between the three of them and done fairly well. They each have their hang-ups and baggage.

The entire story is about how the three come together. I would've liked more of their story after they get together, beca
Alya
As much as loved Dark Horse and its sequel, I disliked this book. It almost seems like a surprise that the same author wrote those two. Character motivations were very hard to relate to and their interactions were stiff and came out of blue. I loved the playful dialogues in Dark Horse, but here, they seamed quite shallow. The characters themselves were plainly unsympathetic. Mark being quite pathetic in how he is easily moved to despair and his problems are not even solved by him at the end, but ...more
Michelle B
Tyler captured my heart in this book; I was less taken with Alistair and much less with Mark. Alistair and Mark's relationship needed more development in the book to make this a little more believable, and little less emotionally raw. (Not that 'having doubts' in a new relationship between A/M isn't typical, but it was a bit jarring, considering everything else that was going on between the original pair.)

This is a very good book, and has a 'fresh' take on a threesome (a sub-genre I normally don
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
When two men deeply in love fall for a third, can they make a Trifecta or will they lose everything? Mark and Alistair have been together for a year and they’re very committed to each other. They’ve gone through a lot as Mark left his marriage and two teenage daughters after falling in love with Alistair. They more than love each other, they need each other too. Yet when they meet Tyler, the young man throws their carefully planned world into chaos and they realize he might be what they need. Bu ...more
Nichole (Dirty H)
I couldn't decide if I "liked it" or if I "really liked it" and I've decided to stop using half stars, so it was hard to choose but I decided to err on the side of stingy. But maybe I did "really like it".... ugh, it's so hard!

But either way, I was disappointed that the book ended at the beginning. I've said this a million times but I'll say it again; when I read m/m/m, I want to read a book that shows how the relationship actually works. What their life is like together day to day. This was a
Jamp

It's a nice enough read. After reading some reviews I was expecting to dislike one or two characters but surprisingly it didn't happen, I liked Tyler a lot and Mark and Alistair were all right, nothing special but not unlikable, I just didn't care all that much about their relationship even before Tyler.

I felt the threesome could never last long, if the "official" boyfriend can never have any contact with the daughters of his partner or they can hardly go out for fear of old friends see
Tina
Jul 09, 2013 Tina rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: menage

3,5 stars.

Mark and Alistair are happy with their open relationship - they can have all the anonymous sex they want, and still come home to each other. That changes when they discover that they’ve both hooked up with the same guy... Tyler. Who is an easy going type, doesn't make any plans... until he meets first Mark and sometimes later Alistair. Nobody has any doubt that sex between the three of them would be fantastic, but can they make it something more?

The entire book is about how the three g
~Lei ~  Reading Is An Adventure ~
✰✰✰½
How do two Tops in an mm relationship coincide? Due to Mark's out-of-town frequency, he and Alistair decide on an open relationship when they're not together.

I think Mark is still finding his way since he'd only recently come out and he'd left a long-standing marriage to be with Alistair. Although he and Alistair loved each other, it wasn't enough and he could top when he was away.

I liked Tyler and I think he connected with each guy and with him as part of their triage, they didn't need to
♥J ♥ - LoveMeSomethingYu(MM)y
Don't even know where to start with this one. The characters were not very likeable, although Tyler had his moments. Most of the story was unbelievable, unexplained and just didn't work. How the initial two MC's maintained that relationship for as long as they did is beyond me. I'm all for a threesome or an open relationship, but this didn't work at all. There was breaking of trust left right and center. I had issues with so many things throughout this book but kept hoping for something good to ...more
Wave
I didn't like either Mark or Alistair and I felt that the characters had no depth. I also didn't understand why Mark professed this great love for Alistair that made him leave his family when there seemed to be no chemistry between them plus they fought all the time. They weren't even compatible in bed.

As for Tyler, although I liked him I couldn’t see him as a permanent part of the relationship and I thought he was being used by both Mark and Alistair.

I really love M/M/M but this book is definit
Suong Doan
Virginia
3.5 stars. There was parts of this book I really liked and other parts that were simply ok. I really liked the character of Tyler but Mark and Alistair didn't always click with me. I wasn't a fan of their open relationship, but yet, it helped to show that they both realized that despite their love and commitment to each other; they both recognized they were missing something being too much alike. I thought the writing was solid and showed a different perspective on how a m/m/m relationship could ...more
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
This was an ok menage story where the two mc's have an open relationship for when their jobs take them out of town. I enjoyed the equine aspect. it was enough without being too much. I wish there was more interaction between Allistair and Mark. Mark's family situation was heartbreaking. Tyler comes off a bit slutty, but when these three get together, things are very hot. Tyler's family was funny, and I wouldn't have minded more with them as well.
Darla Arnold
I would like to believe that a menage relationship would work in real life, most of the stories I read, however, don't support my belief. Kate Sherwoods stories do. Trifecta is shorted than Dark Horse and Out of Darkness, but still compelling. Her characters a rich and troubled with history, that makes the relationships real. People with different backgrounds coming together. Excellant, well written, character driven story. Read it in one shot.
Megsterella
I was so excited to read this book but was severely let down. The relationship between the three men was the reason I purchased this book at all. In the end, it was the most disappointing and uninteresting aspect of the story. The only reason I gave it a 2 rating was because Mark's family drama was interesting.
Lisa - President of Challengeaholics  Anon and Challenge Enabler
Mark and Alistair have an open relationship. Separately they both meet Tyler and fall in love.
I guess this is not your typical ménage set up with both of the MCs having a separate relationship with the third before agreeing that they all get together.
An enjoyable read.
Jani
Loved this. It was different enough from Dark Horse that I did not think of Dan and the guys like some did. I DO admit to thinking it was Dan when the horse trainer was waiting for the vet with the owner.. )
Would love to read about them in the future
  • What We Deserve
  • Room at the Top (Room at the Top #1)
  • The Hot Floor
  • Sandpipers' Secrets (Sandpipers, #1)
  • The Strongest Shape
  • Golden Dancer
  • By Any Other Name (By Any Other Name #1)
  • 911 (911, #1)
  • Lovegames (Queen City #2)
  • Sleeping Stone
  • Goldilocks and His Three Bears (Goldilocks #1)
  • Out Of Focus
  • Soft Focus
  • Where the Heart Is
  • Bound To Please
  • Loving Edits (Basque, #1)
  • Starting Over
Dark Horse (Dark Horse, #1) Out of the Darkness (Dark Horse, #2) Shying Away (Shying Away #1) Mark of Cain Of Dark and Bright (Dark Horse, #3)