The Bride Wore Black Leather (Nightside, #12)

The Bride Wore Black Leather (Nightside #12)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  3,116 ratings  ·  194 reviews
John Taylor is marrying the love of his life, Suzie Shooter, the Nightside’s most fearsome bounty hunter. But before he can walk down the aisle he has one more case to solve as a private eye — a case that has him on the run from friends and enemies both, with his bride-to-be looking to collect the bounty on his head...
Published January 3rd 2012 by Ace (first published January 1st 2012)

Can't Wait Books of 2012
375th out of 2,496 books — 15,913 voters
Cold Days by Jim ButcherKing of Thorns by Mark  LawrenceA Perfect Blood by Kim HarrisonFair Game by Patricia BriggsTricked by Kevin Hearne
Science Fiction & Fantasy Titles for 2012!
71st out of 652 books — 1,456 voters

More lists with this book...

Shelly
Talk books with me, and within moments, Simon R. Green will come out of my mouth--namely his Nightside series. Part noir, part satire, part snark driven plot I fell quickly in love with the series and sometimes protagonist John Taylor. Taylor is a PI who has a 'gift'--the ability to find anything, anywhere. It's more badass than it sounds. Throughout the series he goes against all sorts of baddies, and creatures of myth and horror, all the while maintaining a snappy dialogue that would make any...more
David Caldwell
This book made me sad because it is John Taylor's last case as a private investigator.But then I quit being sad when it it also was his first case as Walker.

His last case as a P.I.has him investigating the death of The King of Skin at the Immortals Ball.Who can kill an immortal in front of a roomful of witnesses and no one see anything?

His first case as walker has John teaming up with Julien Advent, the Victorian Adventurer when the ghost of the Hawk and Wind Bar disappears.Who is the mysterious...more
DeLace Munger
So, here's the deal. I love Simon R. Green. His stuff can start to feel a bit formulaic at times and there's a bit more repetition than I'd like (I know this book mentioned ambulances that run on distilled suffering at least twice, possibly three times. I get it. It's a creepy/intriguing/Nightside kinda thing. Let's focus on other types of vehicles now) BUT Green is absolutely incredible at pulling me into his stories and wanting to know more about almost any character he introduces. They always...more
colleen the contrarian  ± (... never stop fighting) ±
Like most of the Nightside books, this one starts off with a smaller case which then segues into another, larger case. In this book, though, the smaller case is John's last case as a PI, and the big one is his first as Walker - and it is something of a doozy.

It's also, for those who don't know, the last book in the series. At least the last staring John Taylor. It's a pretty decent entry, though not my favorite. I was kinda hoping for a bit more of a bang, but ah well.

As with many finales, we ge...more
Traci
I'm sort of feeling a love-hate relationship with this entry in Green's Nightside series. As always, I love John Taylor and his weird and wicked world. But this time felt...somehow less. Perhaps it's due to John's new role as Walker, although I couldn't really tell much difference from "old" John to "new" John. He might be a bit more reserved in his reactions to people, a bit less violent in how he handles them, but I don't think that was it. I just couldn't quite put my finger on it...

Perhaps t...more
Betty
OK, So I'm still hooked on this series. Though I wanted to be listening to the Beatles through most of this book, what happens when the Nightside takes a trip back to the 60's and the Summer of Love and not just through the Hawk Wind Bar and Grill. Ok not really but there is a good number of allusions to the '60's and running around with Julian Advent (seeing some of the downfalls of his life as well).

The backdrop for this whole thing, is John and Suzie are finally getting married (this is book...more
Bill Rogers
When John Taylor, the Private Investigator with a supernatural ability to find things, decides to marry Shotgun Suzie, he goes out for one last bachelor fling on the night before. That's traditional. Having to save the World (yet again) and have all your friends trying to kill you because you're suddenly and unexpectedly a murderer is not quite so traditional. Except, perhaps, here. Business as usual in the Nightside, as they say.

This book was a lot of fun. I thought a few things ended a bit too...more
The Flooze
*3.5*
Warning: This book mentions spoilers for the Drood series. I was most unhappy.

The final book of the series and I find myself strangely unsatisfied. Partly because it took quite some time for the main story to start in earnest.

While many elements of the plot were engaging, it was still a helter-skelter thing. I expected better of John Taylor's send-off than yet another trumped up entity intent on possessing the Nightside. And I certainly expected better than the initial locked room murders...more
Krista D.
After the huge disappointment of the previous book, we get to the finale. I really enjoyed it. It was one of the few times with the series that I stayed up to try finishing the book.

I was expecting a big showdown for the final book. That didn't happen, though I suppose every other book threatened the end of the Nightside; I was rather used to those stakes by now.

All of the usual suspects were in this one, though I was disappointed that a book with Suzie on the cover didn't actually have Suzie in...more
Richard
A really awesome instalment to the Nightside series, while its been a bit of a rocky ride through this series, this book draws on all that's best of Simon R Greens weird anti-hero filled world that is the Nightside. With friends and enemies alike after him John Taylors last case as a private eye and the run up to his wedding couldn't be more action filled. While not wanting to spoil the plot, Simon R Green gives us an insight into things that we only hoped to see earlier in the series such as ma...more
Wickedshizuku (and the Jedi pup)
May 08, 2014 Wickedshizuku (and the Jedi pup) rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Paranormal fans, Sci-fi fans, UF fans, Horror fans, High Fantasy fans
Recommended to Wickedshizuku by: previous books
Is this the really the last book of the Nightside?

photo tumblr_m6kzev8jcw1qau345o6_250_zpsfaae6bde.gif

This takes us back to good old detective work and far less ick factors that this author so loves. I found myself not getting quite so pissed off at his love of cliche's. By this point you kind of expect them.
Sylvia McIvers
I read other books by Simon R. Green before, and they run between pretty good and lousy. The closer they are to King Arthur alternate-futures, the better they seem to be, and the stories which are Arthur/Guinevere/Mordred In Space tend to be pretty bad.

On the other hand, the title and the cover seemed to imply a great story, so I thought I'd give it a try.

The story opens with John Taylor looking for something to do, since I read other books by Simon R. Green before, and they run between pretty g...more
Marie
Simon, Simon, Simon...what am I gonna say about this? It's the last book of the Nightside (which I truly didn't realize, btw) and like its predecessor, I couldn't really find my way in. I don't know what happened in the last two books but they're clearly not as good as the rest of the series and it's a shame because the Nightside was one of my favourite universes.

Yet still, for a last installment, it had its cool moments and its action and its wrap-ups. I was fairly put out by the Julien thing...more
Rosalind M
3.5 stars. Not fun for me this time. Too much repetition, too much hyperbole, and too close to a Deus ex Machina ending.
Daniel Chichester
Although I liked this series, I'm glad that it is at an end. I got weary of the way this author writes and they way he's constructed this world. The last entry into the series was particularly lackluster, the intro murder mystery scene was completely boring and of course there is plenty of random events that happened at the perfect time. Its one thing when a character gets a bit of luck, i get that, but its another when this becomes a plot escape for the author. That's what has always bothered m...more
Carter
While all of Green's series are worth the read I find that the dark quirky nature of the Nightside novels and his colourful characters including the dead, misplaced gods, immortals, tabloid reporters and psychopaths the best of his work despite the tendency to milk a gimmick, a stereotype or an attempt at snark or levity long past its best before date.

Sadly like watching a comic who relies on the same material too long I found the Bride Wore Black Leather enjoyable but far less than when the Ni...more
Michelle
The Bride Wore Black Leather is the twelfth book in the Nightside series by Simon R Green and an ACE Fantasy.

Book Blurb:

In the secret heart of London, under the cover of endless darkness, the Nightside caters to anyone with any unusual itch that needs to be scratched. But enter at your own risk. The party animals who live here may be as inhuman as their appetites...

My name is John Taylor. The Nightside is my home. I didn't plan it that way. In fact, I once tried to get away. But I came back. An...more
Raquel Vega-Grieder
I want to start off by saying I had no idea when I started reading this book that it was number 12 in an existing series. When I started reading it there were really great aspects of this story but at times I really was so confused by certain things and wanted to give up reading it. With that being said, I do have to say that I really enjoyed this book. It was like nothing I had ever read before and it kept me coming back to it time and time again. There were some really original ideas and chara...more
Stina Zombean
*****Slightly spoilery******

This was the last installment in the Nightside series and I'm not even sure I have words to do it justice.

I've heard complaints that the series started going downhill after the Lillith wars, and to be fair, there were some tangents and repetition there. This book brought it all back though, made everything worth it, and wrapped up the series in a way that maybe I can live with (although I'd secretly love it if SRG would pick the series up again in the future, potenti...more
Ryan Vaughan
Samantha
Just when you think John Taylor cannot possibly get in any more trouble in the Nightside, you discover he can if he goes looking for it. On the eve of his nuptials to the love of his life Suzie Shooter, who I might remind you once shot him in the back to "get his attention", John Taylor decides to take on one more case as a Private Eye before becoming the Nightside's next Walker (or "The Man" as Taylor irreverently refers to the role of the Voice of the Authorities). Taylor begins his quest for...more
Mark Drew
I've always been a big fan of Simon R. Green and his Nightside books. I've read each entry in the series and always enjoyed them immensely. However, this may be the weakest link in the Taylor chronicles.

The books were always based on the basic Pulp premise of crisis, run here, run there, resolve the situation while finally destroying (or thwarting)the villain and than move onto the next threat of all encompassing oblivion for Taylor and crew. This book does all that too, but it also has hundreds...more
Melbourne on my mind
I have something of a turbulent relationship with the Nightside series. I enjoy them, but I can never manage to find them in the right order at the library, so spend half the book horribly confused with regards to the past events being referred to. This one was particularly perplexing, because the last Nightside book I read featured John and Suzie trying to kill each other. And now they're getting married. But obviously, that's my problem and not an issue with the book itself.

The story is effec...more
Sgtret
I am going though a bit of Harry Dresden withdrawal. John Taylor the primary character in The Bride Wore Black Leather is not Harry Dresden, but he does fill the gap a bit. I read this book on the chance that it may have something of the irk found in the Dresden books.

I was right in many ways and wrong about the equal number.

This volume is the latest in a series that goes back several years. When I finished it, I looked up the series and am currently half way through the first book. That says s...more
Mike

Simon Green's Nightside books are always a hoot. They're fun, fast-paced, irreverent and full of attitude. Now they've ended. I hope. I'm not saying that because they're aren't great. Check the stars people. I'm saying it because not only was this book great fun, but because John and his extended family have grown up. John has a respectable job and the love of his life, and as the title suggests there's a wedding. This book is a fitting and noble end for a venerable series.

If I had one negative

Neil
How to sum up the finale of the Nightside series. In a word, "Satisfying" would have to cover it.

The book's title references the wedding of Suzie Shooter and John Taylor as set up in the preceding book. However, the overall theme of the book evaluates who John Taylor has become over the course of the twelve books in the series, and how is relationships have evolved. Simon R. Green delivers on that by revisiting key locales from some of the earlier books, but also by bringing back key characters...more
Kathy Davie
Twelfth in the Nightside urban fantasy series set in "a business empire of sin and corruption, wonders and marvels...at very reasonable prices".

Put on your seat belt and get out your barf bag, you're entering the Nightside where
"you can find the baddest clubs and the maddest music, parties that will never end as long as someone's got cash in their pocket or credit on their cards…[where] temptation winks from every street-corner, and there's always a quiet back room where you can sell your soul.
Amanda
It's hard to believe that we've come to the end. As everyone knows, all things must end, but you never want them to. That's the case with the Nightside. After nearly 10 years, Simon R. Green's macabre and enticing Nightside novels are finally coming to a close with The Bride Wore Black Leather.

I've had a complicated relationship with the Nightside novels over the years. I was first drawn to the third book in the series, Nightingale's Lament, due to the gorgeous and mesmerizing cover. Soon after...more
Jenevieve
The 12th book in the Nightside series. It's the night before John and Suzie's wedding and John wants one last case as a PI. Nothing too exciting, nothing that would make him late for his wedding, just one last case to work before settling down as Walker. But when the case takes a wrong turn, everyone starts gunning for him, even his bride-to-be.

Now here's the problem. That's the basic blurby thing they give you on all the reviews. I kept waiting for it to happen. 2/3 of the way through the book...more
Chris Bauer
I've enjoyed just about every book Simon R. Green has come out with. They are consistently filled with hellaciously over-the-top action, absurdly awesome plots and memorable characters. Everything from John Taylor & the Nightside to the Edwin Drood series. And his dialogue kills me every time.

His latest installment in the Nightside series is no exception. Murky streets, mind-boggling mysteries and ridiculous escapes are all part of the package. Just pure fun to read.

My only gripes about the...more
  • Unquiet Dreams (Connor Grey, #2)
  • Doubletake (Cal Leandros, #7)
  • Dead Waters (Simon Canderous, #4)
  • In the House of the Wicked (Remy Chandler, #5)
  • Evil Dark (Occult Crimes Unit Investigation, #2)
  • Taken (Alex Verus, #3)
  • Aloha from Hell (Sandman Slim, #3)
  • Circle of Enemies (Twenty Palaces, #3)
  • Mean Streets (Remy Chandler, #1.5; Greywalker, #3.5; Nightside, #9.5; The Dresden Files, #10.5)
  • The Naming of the Beasts (Felix Castor, #5)
  • Monster Hunter Legion (MHI, #4)
41942
Simon Richard Green is a British science fiction and fantasy-author. He holds a degree in Modern English and American Literature from the University of Leicester. His first publication was in 1979.

His Deathstalker series is partly a parody of the usual space-opera of the 1950s, told with sovereign disregard of the rules of probability, while being at the same time extremely bloodthirsty.

Excerpted...more
More about Simon R. Green...
Something from the Nightside (Nightside, #1) Agents of Light and Darkness (Nightside, #2) Nightingale's Lament (Nightside, #3) Hex and the City (Nightside, #4) Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth (Nightside, #6)

“After all, you’re only an immortal until someone manages to kill you. After that, you were just long-lived.” 28 likes
“Books can be terrible snobs.” 10 likes