Start by marking “The Amen Solution: The Brain Healthy Way to Lose Weight and Keep It Off” as Want to Read:
The Amen Solution: The Brain Healthy Way to Lose Weight and Keep It Off

The Amen Solution: The Brain Healthy Way to Lose Weight and Keep It Off

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  188 ratings  ·  34 reviews
A breakthrough, easy-to-follow brain-based program to lose weight and keep it off—for the rest of your life—from the bestselling author of Change Your Brain, Change Your Body, Magnificent Mind at Any Age, and Change Your Brain, Change Your Life

Have you tried diet after diet without success? Want to know the two major secrets why most diets don’t work?

The #1 secret is that
Audio, 0 pages
Published February 15th 2011 by Random House Audio (first published February 8th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Amen Solution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Amen Solution

Lisa
I saw Dr. Amen on PBS one day and was immediately sucked in to his seminar on the brain and losing weight. This book fascinated me because it it correlated bad habits (mainly due to eating/diet) with problems in certain parts of the brain and it just made total sense to me. The book has you figure out your "brain type" and the type of eater you are, and then he suggests exercises, supplements, and other ways to improve that part of your brain. I like that as a doctor he admits that you should al ...more
Kathy
Interesting stuff. Rather self-righteous tone. Information presented in way too many long lists.
I found this book informative and motivating to make some positive health changes in my life. I don't know much about SPECT brain images, and I noticed that there are some websites accusing Amen of being a quack or a scam. Even if all of the SPECT image info was dropped from the book, his nutrition information corresponds to what I've read in many other books about the relationship between a healthy brain and overall wellness. His advice for supplements matched my own doctor's advice after a ser ...more
Mallory
Some good advice in here, although most of the lists are so long that when you are listening to it in the car it's hard to concentrate on it and I ended up skipping a lot of chapters when he started getting to his 56th point with no end was in sight. I think it would have been better to include the appendixes as a pdf file rather than reading out long lists of foods.

The Amen solution isn't as forgiving as most other diet books - for Amen it's all or nothing. He said he doesn't believe in "every
Jay
If you've read other Amen books you'll find a lot of familiar territory covered in this one. Whole chapters on supplements and exercises for brain health seem to have been lifted from Amen's "Magnificent Mind for Any Age" and placed in this one -- at least he appears to be consistent in his recommendations. His take on weight loss starts from the way the brain works, as you would expect given his background. Certainly contained some interesting ideas, but there were plenty of the expected ideas ...more
Denise
The title of this book sounds like SUCH BS, but I've worked with kids who have had brain scans done at Amen clinics, and it really is fascinating the kinds of things that can go on in your brain and how they can affect your behavior. I liked that he explored how there are different issues that make people overweight--it's not always poor impulse control or bad self-esteem or whatever--and provided strategies (including brain-healthy foods, relaxation techniques, and other interesting practical i ...more
Marjorie Turner
So interesting to think about my brain type (not what I thought), and how important our thoughts are ("kill the ANTs" - automatic negative thoughts). I like that he relies on science. He is providing the science on topics I've believed for decades - but are new age and disregarded because of that.
Good information, However, I listened to the audio book and the reader's voice was extremely annoying to me. I just ended up gritting my teeth and suffered through it.
Jan
Slightly different twist--wish there were more stats as to his successes rather than a few clinical super successes.
Jessietaylortanner
I have read two of his other books and find it all fascinating. Truly a holistic approach for your whole life, working with your brain which controls every aspect of our lives and bodies. Using his advised method of eating real food, restricting calories, exercising, taking supplements, etc. he outlines a real, practical whole-life approach to battling obesity, sickness and depression. Practical, realistic methods that require a real change of heart and dedication; these methods are more difficu ...more
Thomas
The author didn't seem to advocate anything that was much different from all the other dieting/weight loss/nutrition books you see nowadays. His angle was that he concentrated on the nutrients that affected different parts of the brain. In this respect, his approach was different. He advocates a lifestyle change (as do the other "successful" weight loss books). Since I need to lose some weight myself, I'll reserve final judgement until I give it a try.
Marissa Morrison
This book contains a questionnaire to help readers learn which brain dysfunctions they have, and Amen provides specific weight management guidelines for each brain type. Other useful things in this book include a template for day-to-day weight-loss record keeping, a list of foods that are healthy for both body and brain, and a bunch of little tips titled "Two Hundred Ways To Leave Your Blubber Behind."

Everything here seems medically sound and simple enough.
Andie
Finally a book to explain why I haven't had much success with losing weight! After reading the book, I'm not taking supplements and eating "brain" foods and I feel a HUGE difference in the way my brain and body behave. I can't wait to get the cook book so that I can seriously continue my food changes to feed my brain, which will in turn allow me to lose the weight in a smart and healthy way.
Judy
Mostly skimmed. A lot of common sense stuff. Most helpful chapters to me were 5 & 6, Brain Supplements & Conquering Cravings. Also helpful was Appendix B - 200 tips to lose weight. A good way to find his recommended supplements is to visit his website, http://www.amenclinics.com/brain-scie...
Linda
Need to purchase this book so I can take my time and peruse over it. I am implementing some of what I've read, but need to go back and highlight things that were important. Was a library book, and I don't think they would've taken to kind to me highlighting their book :) Checking it out on Amazon!
Dawn
Nov 08, 2012 Dawn marked it as didn-t-finish  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health-welness
I love Dr. Amen for brain health. His first book helped put me in a better place. However, I am not overweight, I am looking for a more health filled life, so most of what I was reading did not apply. There just was not enough of his brain stuff in this book for me to read all of it.
Mylo
I really liked this book. Most of the stuff in here for weight loss has been already been said a million different ways. The quiz gives you an insight on how your brain may work. I started on the vitamins specified for me and I feel wonderful. Weird but true.
Brandy
Lots of excellent tips, particularly with regard to natural supplements to enhance weight loss and encourage overall health. Great resource to help determine what kind of "eater" you are and thus how to best respond to your particular issues.
Belann
I can't say that I learned much new in this book. He did have an interesting way to look at the brain chemistry and its involvement in weight loss. Some of those ideas might be useful for some, but I didn't really find anything useful for me.
Linda
Very informative book with lots of good nutritional and health facts. Some of the book is just a rehashing of information that is already wildly available. Easy to read and well organized. He does promote some products he has developed.
Jamie Holloway
I love this book. So many great ideas that I plan on implementing into my life style. I did many of them and when I got shopping on Thursday I plan on buying brain healthy foods...
Becky Roper
I've seen the PBS specials a couple of times, so I thought Iwould read the book. It's mostly common sense dieting, but there are some interesting brain study results added in.
Betty McMahon
I didn't "finish" the book, in fact didn't read much of it. But I can't remember how to get it on my "abandoned" bookshelf; just have to get it off my "currently reading" shelf.
Elinor Colby
I have read this twice. It makes excellent sense and when you follow his recommendations you do feel more in control of your health.
Belinda
Arrived in the mail from Amazon today. I'm not big on self help books, but this one looks promising. Now just got to read it and learn!
Tammy
Some good information about nutrition but overuse of certain words like brain and stupid.
Nina
Good ideas on why everyone is different when it comes to weight lose. Great information
Cherice
Interesting theories, liked the ANT blocking techniques.
Linda
Good ideas, healthy eating, exercise, no problems here!
  • Sugar Shock!: How Sweets and Simple Carbs Can Derail Your Life-- and How YouCan Get Back on Track
  • Live Raw: Raw Food Recipes for Good Health and Timeless Beauty
  • When I Fall in Love
  • Coffee is Good for You: From Vitamin C and Organic Foods to Low-Carb and Detox Diets, the Truth about Diet and Nutrition Claims
  • Eat Vegan on $4.00 a Day
  • When the Brain Can't Hear: Unraveling the Mystery of Auditory Processing Disorder
  • Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms? When My Lab Tests Are Normal: A Revolutionary Breakthrough In Understanding Hashimoto's Disease and Hypothyroidism
  • She's Gonna Blow!
  • The Happiness Diet: A Nutritional Prescription for a Sharp Brain, Balanced Mood, and Lean, Energized Body
  • Make it Paleo: Over 200 Grain Free Recipes For Any Occasion
  • Weeping Willow - Part One (Weeping Willow Stories #1)
  • The Immune System Recovery Plan: A Doctor's 4-Step Program to Treat Autoimmune Disease
  • Surrendering to Marriage
  • The Better Brain Book
  • Your Food Is Fooling You: How Your Brain Is Hijacked by Sugar, Fat, and Salt
  • Green Smoothie Revolution: The Radical Leap Towards Natural Health
  • Journalution: Journal Writing to Awaken Your Inner Voice, Heal Your Life, and Manifest Your Dreams
  • Better Than You Think You Are
Daniel G. Amen, MD is a physician, child and adult psychiatrist, brain imaging specialist, bestselling author, Distinguished Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association and the CEO and medical director of Amen Clinics, Inc. (ACI) in Newport Beach and Fairfield, California, Tacoma, Washington and Reston, Virginia .

ACI is the world leader in applying brain imaging science to clinical practice. AC
More about Daniel G. Amen...
Change Your Brain, Change Your Life: The Breakthrough Program for Conquering Anxiety, Depression, Obsessiveness, Anger, and Impulsiveness Change Your Brain, Change Your Body: Use Your Brain to Get and Keep the Body You Have Always Wanted Healing ADD: The Breakthrough Program That Allows You to See and Heal the 6 Types of ADD Making a Good Brain Great: The Amen Clinic Program for Achieving and Sustaining Optimal Mental Performance Magnificent Mind at Any Age: Natural Ways to Unleash Your Brain's Maximum Potential