Start by marking “The Sacred Echo” as Want to Read:
The Sacred Echo

The Sacred Echo

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  318 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews

'Don't Listen For the Voice of God. Listen for His Echo.'

When God really wants to get your attention, he doesn't just say something once.

He echoes.

He speaks through a Sunday sermon, a chance conversation with a friend the next day, even a random email. The same theme, idea, impression, or lesson will repeat itself in surprising and unexpected ways until you realize that

MP3 Book, 0 pages
Published July 11th 2008 by Zondervan

To ask other readers questions about The Sacred Echo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sacred Echo

Tom
Jan 10, 2009 Tom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: prayer, life, 2009
I think Margaret Feinberg is a fine writer. Very passionate, real, honest and raw. I liked this book quite a bit. I think she has much potential but I started to compare her to my all time favorite author....Philip Yancey and became somewhat disappointed.

What I do like about her is that she opens herself up and let's us look honestly at her life (her struggles, her joys, her pains, her disappointments, etc). I do like that throughout the whole book she doesn't say "this is how prayer is supposed
Tiffany
Sep 17, 2008 Tiffany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
My husband recommended this book to me. I had read Organic God a couple of years ago and I loved it. I equally enjoyed The Sacred Echo as well.

What I loved is how she directed the reader to scripture. We can hear God audibly through His word. And she pointed out that when God repeats something in the bible....it is really worth paying attention to. I had come across some views that stated her book is about praying more in order to get what we want from Him. Or that this is false doctrine from t
Travis
I was lucky to be one of the few fans that got a chance to receive an advance copy of The Sacred Echo from Margaret Feinberg herself.

What I always loved about Feinberg is the way she writes about God. To her, God isn't just some abstract idea of a Thing in the Sky (I must confess that sometimes I limit God to this abstract idea); God is an ever-present force in our lives. In her latest book, Feinberg talks about how God speaks to us--a "sacred echo" where God will often repeat Himself to get Hi
Nan
Feb 18, 2016 Nan marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quit-reading
I am still in the midst of this book--but I can say, so far, I love it because it resonates. It resonates because it gives words to the truth of how God works in our lives by repeatedly echoing to us a word or phrase or concept to get our attention to where He is working in our life, midst, etc. I have experienced this phenomena. This is an easy to read book full of deep truths. I highly recommend it.
Natalie Snapp
Aug 31, 2010 Natalie Snapp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my word...I'm almost finished but wow...Wonderful book. She's my new favorite writer...
Polly Watson
Feb 01, 2016 Polly Watson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is wonderful reading books that help me draw closer to my Lord and Savior. Thank you, Margaret Feinberg, for sharing just enough if yourself to make your point, but not so much that it's all about you. God has been giving me "Sacred Echoes" for years. Thank you so much for teaching me of their importance and how to listen.
Liz
Aug 23, 2015 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book feels a little bit like reading a very polished, well-edited diary of Feinberg's prayer life. I appreciate stepping into someone else's inner world and considering what they are thinking and praying about, and what their experience of God is like.

Rebecca Tellez
Jul 14, 2014 Rebecca Tellez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It really challenged me to look for the echos of God in my own life. It is not a "how to" book on prayer but rather a journey of exploration of how to hear God's voice for yourself. Highly recommend this book
Ana
Jan 24, 2015 Ana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Margaret Feinberg has an awesome way of speaking truth and made me long for more. I plan to read The Organic God next.
Darlene Hull
I loved this book, and how Margaret was able to hear God in so many ways in the every day. A very encouraging book.
Laurie
Mar 09, 2009 Laurie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It was filled with questions to answer in the back, as well as Bible passages to read for further study. However, before I started reading the book, I thought it was going to be about helping people hear God more in their life. Instead, it was about understanding what you were hearing from God, and so it assumed that you were already getting "sacred echos" from God. So if you aren't, then this book might just frustrate you, as it did me sometimes, despite my intense love of it ...more
Jo Carman
Oct 06, 2015 Jo Carman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is when I knew I had a best friend author who could put my heart on paper without knowing me.
Sherill Clontz
Oct 25, 2008 Sherill Clontz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: thames robinson
The Sacred Echo is a wonderfully, honest and faithful exploration of prayer and how God speaks to us repeatedly in our daily lives. Feinberg is not afraid to tackle the hard questions of unanswered prayer, doubts, and struggles so the book really rings true to lived experience. She presents prayer as a lifestyle that continues despite the doubts, waits and struggles. The end of the book has some great reflection questions and I think it would be a great book for a small group to read and reflect ...more
Janet
Jul 20, 2014 Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christan
Margaret talks about her health struggles and family and friends illnesses, and her experiences in healing and prayer. The main message in this book is this (p.25) "As I grow in my relationship with God, I find that he often uses the repetition of a phrase or word or idea represented in Scripture not only to get, but also to keep my attention." Margaret then shares times when God got her attention.
Margaret has a joyful relationship with God, which I find refreshing and encouraging.
Brandy Smith
Oct 24, 2013 Brandy Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed seeing Margaret Feinberg at an Extraordinary Women's conference this year, what she had to say moved me. So when I had an opportunity to buy one of her books at the conference, this is the one I chose. It's not every day that I get emotional about a book, but I have to say there were several things in this one God really used to speak to my heart. I am very glad I picked this one up!
Kirstin
Sep 21, 2010 Kirstin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From the back cover, "When God really wants to get your attention, he doesn't just whisper something once. He echoes - - - " I read this on vacation on the Big Island. I have a renewed commitment to keep praying, keep listening for God's persistent voice in my life - - - in spite of distractions. Feinberg is an out-of-the-box thinker.
Sandi Mackenzie
Aug 25, 2012 Sandi Mackenzie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love how Margaret Feinberg describes her relationship with God in making her points...she makes it easily to relate to for your own personal life. That God speaks to us constantly and we can ask Him anything, at anytime...if you want to improve your perspective on prayer and your prayers...this is a good read.
Jason
Jul 15, 2010 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
I follow Margaret's blog so I thought that I would give her books a try. This one did not disappoint. It focuses on prayer. That may sound boring to you but she encouraged me to find God in his repeating phrases.

Great read for anyone who is at a place of struggling to hear God speak in their life.
Jan 25, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book and I love this author. She has the ability to write the way she speaks to people, which makes her books very warm and understandable. She also has a great mind, and you can take what she writes and actually use it in real life. This book is an excellent example of those attributes.
Stacey
Jun 03, 2010 Stacey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faith, prayer
We read this for our mops bible study. I just saw Margaret Feinberg speak at the MOPS convention and I loved what she had to say. She was eloquent, gracious, and biblical.

I got a lot out of this study and the friends I shared it with. I am thankful for God's persistent voice in my life.
Suzie
Oct 24, 2009 Suzie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are looking to deepen your prayer life, this is a really great and practical book. The best thing about Margaret Feinberg is that she brings Scriptures to life and as you read her book, you want to actually put it down and open your Bible to gain the type of perspective she has.
Jessica
Aug 28, 2009 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whenever I read a piece of work written by Margaret Feinberg, it is like diving into a delectable dessert. I want to gobble it up all I once, yet I also want to savor the experience and make it last as long as possible. I love her candidness and ability to think outside of the box.
Rebecca
Another good one by Margaret Feinberg. I didn't really get into until a third of the way in - I don't think that's the book's fault.

It should score a 3.5.

Nicely balanced, some new insights, some reminders of old. Lots of stories. Beautifully authentic.
Heather Hampton
Apr 19, 2010 Heather Hampton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very inspiring and encouraging! This book helps you to focus on your relationship with God and get closer to God through prayer and listening to Gods voice. This book is very beautifully written and a great read!
James
Apr 13, 2012 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: prayer
What has God been saying to you, is saying to you and keeps saying to you. Margaret Feinberg explores the themes that pop up again and again in the life of prayer. Quick read, and a good book on prayer.
Christy Carmean
Sep 03, 2013 Christy Carmean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the concept of Sacred Echoes- reoccurring themes in your life that God uses to get your attention. This book made me more aware of those times in my life and is helping me get the most out of them.
Shauna
Apr 14, 2014 Shauna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of the concepts in this book were a little basic for me but it was still a great book. I read it in conjunction with the bible study and it really helped tie everything together.
Jenise
This is a spiritually uplifting read. Just when you think you are just worn to the bone, find the women in the Bible that have walked the same path and what they did to get by.
Rick
Apr 08, 2009 Rick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A gentle voice encouraging us to listen to God. This was my first experience reading this author. Some wonderful stories drawn from her life experiences.
Alona
Aug 13, 2012 Alona rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
LOVED IT, NOW STARTING BY THE SAME AUTHOR ( THE ORGANIC GOD ) . Love reading Margaret Feinberg. The Sacred Echo really stays with you. God is always working.
What is Your Church Attitude? 1 13 Mar 18, 2009 03:49PM
  • Gold Cord
  • Wired:  For a Life of Worship
  • NIV Once-A-Day 31 Days of Wisdom
  • Toxic Faith: Experiencing Healing Over Painful Spiritual Abuse
A self-described "hot mess," Margaret Feinberg is a popular Bible teacher and speaker at churches and leading conferences such as Catalyst, Thrive, and Women of Joy. Her books, including The Organic God, The Sacred Echo, Scouting the Divine, and Wonderstruck and their corresponding Bible studies, have sold nearly one million copies and received critical acclaim and extensive national media coverag ...more
More about Margaret Feinberg...

“And like an echo, God often uses the repetitive events and themes in daily life to get my attention and draw me closer to himself." - The Sacred Echo” 4 likes
“Slowly, God is opening my eyes to needs all around me. In Scripture, God revisits this issue of caring for the poor- an echo that repeats itself from Genesis to Revelation. The Bible acknowledges that the poor will always be part of society, but God takes on their cause. The Mosaic law of the Old Testament is filled with regulations to prevent and eliminate poverty. The poor were given the right to glean- to take produce from the unharvested edges of the fields, a portion of the tithes, and a daily wage. The law prevented permanent slavery by releasing Jewish bondsmen and women on the sabbatical and Jubilee year and forbade charging interest on loans. In one of his most tender acts, God made sure that the poor- the aliens, widows, and orphans- were all invited to the feasts.” 2 likes