Start by marking “Dark Quarry (Mike Angel Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Dark Quarry (Mike Angel Mystery #1)

Dark Quarry (Mike Angel Mystery #1)

3.19 of 5 stars 3.19  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Synopsis of Dark Quarry, by David H. Fears

This first in the "Dark" series of Mike Angel, Private Investigator mysteries is a wild ride, set in the New York/New Jersey and Chicago areas in 1960. If you like complex plots, soul-tortured protagonists, and suspense, you'll be hooked by this series. The first volumeis historical fiction, involving names and places connected wit
Published 2011 by Horizon Micro Publishing, LLC. (first published December 20th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Quarry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Quarry

Steve
Wow, this is really bad, like written-in-junior-high-school-English-class-bad. Cliché after cliché, nothing original and it doesn't look like it will change, either. DNF after 16 pages/7%.
J.R. Tomlin
Dark Quarry is the first of a series of hard-boiled mysteries featuring investigator Mike Angel by author David H. Fears. I happen to like the hard-boiled genre, so I was happy to take a look at this novel.

I must admit that I found it a bit hard to get into. The author was trying to tell too much, too soon, and he was doing a bit too much telling without letting me get into the story.

As is so often the case, the story was about a murderous woman and Mike Angel falling for her. I thought it was a
Joyce McKune
Don't like to give up, so I finished reading it, but I won't look for any more of this series. Angel would be a better detective if he'd think with the right head!
Will Decker
If you like Mickey Spillane type mysteries set in the early 60's with a hardened and scarred PI, you'll like David Fears Mike Angel series. The guy is always looking for the damsel in distress that he can save, yet rarely does he succeed. The story is written in first person and Fears pulls it off with ease. Sarcasm, sex, self-exploration, danger, suspense, and a great sense of humor, especially when it comes to his own choices in life. He's not the tough guy that he portrays to the world, but h ...more
Betty

Burdened by the unsolved murder of his father, a career NYPD lieutenant whose “voice” warns whenever danger is near, 30-year-old Mike Angel is a Korean vet and bored private investigator of insurance fraud. When a wealthy ex-college buddy hires him to tail Joe Ambler, a petty blackmailer, Mike fixates on Kimbra, a stunning beauty who kills the blackmailer. Mike impulsively helps her dispose of the body and finds himself on the wrong side of the law.
Mike discovers the dead man was the grandson of
Jean Brandenburg
This wasn't a bad book. It just wasn't a good book. It was too disjointed, like the author couldn't decide which story to tell so he told them all. And didn't finish a couple or tie them together! IMHO anyway.
Mike Angel is a private eye who gets drawn into several beautiful women's problems. I suppose it's supposed to be Mickey Spilane ish but sometimes was crude and, I couldn't keep track of which story we were on now from one night to the next.
Sorry, it just wasn't for me.
Miles
Jan 17, 2014 Miles rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: To Inquistive Readers
Shelves: kindle-ebooks
5 stars for David H Fears as a person, 3 stars for myself and my naïve, but fossilized mind. A book of this length regularly takes me a few days to complete, cover-to-cover. Because of my mindset this book took me much longer. My book collection does not contain any other books by Mr. Fears. I was actually glad to be finished reading Dark Quarry. Combing hardboiled mystery with a historical setting, metaphors and similes, Dark Quarry is a good mystery and very well written. My suggestion is that ...more
waynealbritton
Good read - not as good as some, but better than others

Had a fast start with lot of tricks and turns. Writes sex like he really understands the "ins and outs ".
ewalbritton
Elaine
Made myself read half of it & had to give up. Absolutely no substance. Just plain tacky & awful.
Don Maxwell
Glad this was a free book on book bub. Couldn't make it through.
Irene
A fast paced detective story as told to us through the eyes of hard boiled PI Mike Angel, a likeable character in spite of himself. Not my usual genre but I enjoyed this well written tale, and particularly the main character's sense of humor and his way with words. Lots of action. I would recommend it to anyone who likes mysteries, detective stories, and historical fiction.
Albert
Took me a while but after reading book three and four of this series I finally made it to the first. With that I would have to say I understand a little more about Mike and his path. If you are looking for a great mystery series to start this would be that starting point. Hopefully David takes my suggestion and keeps this series alive with more books.
Jack
Written in classic American PI style, this is a story of murder and mobsters set in the early sixties. PI Mike Angel appears to be totally irresistible to every dame that crosses his path.
Dixie Hamilton
Set in the 1960s. Protagonist is a PI who calls women "dames" and says they have "moxie". A little too stereotypical for my taste.
Ian Kharitonov
If you're a fan of hard-boiled mysteries, check out the Mike Angel series -- good stuff!
Nev Thomas
Good noir thriller but I found the story a little confusing
Gail
Gail marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Celise
Celise marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Kelly Lynch
Kelly Lynch marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Jacqueline Jurchenko
Jacqueline Jurchenko marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Walter
Walter added it
Jul 18, 2015
Lizette Edeza
Lizette Edeza marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Ingrid
Ingrid marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Domonica Starks
Domonica Starks marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Edwardky
Edwardky marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
  • Running of the Bulls (Fifth Avenue #2)
  • Dark Reckoning
  • Of Mice and Murderers (Z Series)
  • Revelations (Jane Perry #3)
  • Julius Katz Mysteries
  • State of Rebellion (Pug Connor, #1)
  • The Abigail Affair
  • Killer In The Hills (A Jack Rhodes Mystery)
  • The Noon God
  • One O'Clock Jump: A Dorie Lennox Mystery
  • Mortal Sin (Jake Lassiter, #4)
  • Chicago Lightning
  • Cool Shade
  • Druid's Daughter (Garland of Druids, #1)
  • Betrayed
  • Scarecrows
  • Rider
  • The Prophet Motive

Mike Angel Mystery (8 books)
  • Dark Lake (Mike Angel Mystery #2)
  • Dark Blonde (Mike Angel Mystery #3)
  • Dark Poison (Mike Angel Mystery #4)
  • Dark Idol (Mike Angel Mystery #5)
  • Dark Moon
  • Dark Fantasy
  • Dark Conspiracy
Dark Blonde (Mike Angel Mystery #3) Dark Lake (Mike Angel Mystery #2) Dark Fantasy Dark Poison (Mike Angel Mystery #4) Dark Idol (Mike Angel Mystery #5)