Start by marking “Dark Quarry (Mike Angel Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Dark Quarry (Mike Angel Mystery #1)

Dark Quarry (Mike Angel Mystery #1)

Synopsis of Dark Quarry, by David H. Fears

This first in the "Dark" series of Mike Angel, Private Investigator mysteries is a wild ride, set in the New York/New Jersey and Chicago areas in 1960. If you like complex plots, soul-tortured protagonists, and suspense, you'll be hooked by this series. The first volumeis historical fiction, involving names and places connected wit
Published 2011 by Horizon Micro Publishing, LLC. (first published December 20th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Quarry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Quarry

Wow, this is really bad, like written-in-junior-high-school-English-class-bad. Cliché after cliché, nothing original and it doesn't look like it will change, either. DNF after 16 pages/7%.
J.R. Tomlin
Apr 29, 2011 J.R. Tomlin rated it really liked it
Dark Quarry is the first of a series of hard-boiled mysteries featuring investigator Mike Angel by author David H. Fears. I happen to like the hard-boiled genre, so I was happy to take a look at this novel.

I must admit that I found it a bit hard to get into. The author was trying to tell too much, too soon, and he was doing a bit too much telling without letting me get into the story.

As is so often the case, the story was about a murderous woman and Mike Angel falling for her. I thought it was a
Joyce McKune
Oct 09, 2014 Joyce McKune rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: detective
Don't like to give up, so I finished reading it, but I won't look for any more of this series. Angel would be a better detective if he'd think with the right head!
Nov 20, 2011 Betty rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, kindle

Burdened by the unsolved murder of his father, a career NYPD lieutenant whose “voice” warns whenever danger is near, 30-year-old Mike Angel is a Korean vet and bored private investigator of insurance fraud. When a wealthy ex-college buddy hires him to tail Joe Ambler, a petty blackmailer, Mike fixates on Kimbra, a stunning beauty who kills the blackmailer. Mike impulsively helps her dispose of the body and finds himself on the wrong side of the law.
Mike discovers the dead man was the grandson of
Jan 17, 2014 Miles rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: To Inquistive Readers
Shelves: kindle-ebooks
5 stars for David H Fears as a person, 3 stars for myself and my naïve, but fossilized mind. A book of this length regularly takes me a few days to complete, cover-to-cover. Because of my mindset this book took me much longer. My book collection does not contain any other books by Mr. Fears. I was actually glad to be finished reading Dark Quarry. Combing hardboiled mystery with a historical setting, metaphors and similes, Dark Quarry is a good mystery and very well written. My suggestion is that ...more
Will Decker
Oct 16, 2014 Will Decker rated it really liked it
If you like Mickey Spillane type mysteries set in the early 60's with a hardened and scarred PI, you'll like David Fears Mike Angel series. The guy is always looking for the damsel in distress that he can save, yet rarely does he succeed. The story is written in first person and Fears pulls it off with ease. Sarcasm, sex, self-exploration, danger, suspense, and a great sense of humor, especially when it comes to his own choices in life. He's not the tough guy that he portrays to the world, but h ...more
Jerry Walch
May 08, 2016 Jerry Walch rated it liked it
Dark Quarry was a good story, the problem that I have with it and the reason I rate it as a three star read is the language, the language, slang, and idioms would have been appropriate for a story taking place in the thirties or forties, but not for one taking place in the sixties. Private investigators didn't think or talk in the sixties the way Mike talks and thinks in this story and it's a distraction for the reader, at least it was for this reader.
Jean Brandenburg
Oct 22, 2014 Jean Brandenburg rated it it was ok
This wasn't a bad book. It just wasn't a good book. It was too disjointed, like the author couldn't decide which story to tell so he told them all. And didn't finish a couple or tie them together! IMHO anyway.
Mike Angel is a private eye who gets drawn into several beautiful women's problems. I suppose it's supposed to be Mickey Spilane ish but sometimes was crude and, I couldn't keep track of which story we were on now from one night to the next.
Sorry, it just wasn't for me.
Jun 05, 2011 Irene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
A fast paced detective story as told to us through the eyes of hard boiled PI Mike Angel, a likeable character in spite of himself. Not my usual genre but I enjoyed this well written tale, and particularly the main character's sense of humor and his way with words. Lots of action. I would recommend it to anyone who likes mysteries, detective stories, and historical fiction.
Jan 26, 2016 Ben rated it really liked it
The clues never stay burried

Mike Angel has a gift or is it a curse with the ladies. Sharing their deep secrets with him as they relying him to satisfy their needs for closure digs him deep into a cold bottomless hole. Can he save them and survive their grasp on his weakness for giving them what they desperately want?
Sep 08, 2012 Albert rated it it was amazing
Took me a while but after reading book three and four of this series I finally made it to the first. With that I would have to say I understand a little more about Mike and his path. If you are looking for a great mystery series to start this would be that starting point. Hopefully David takes my suggestion and keeps this series alive with more books.
Rhona Crawford
Dec 29, 2015 Rhona Crawford rated it liked it
I kept hearing that voice-over from Mickey Spillaine or something like that from television ... Familiar on the one hand, but annoying on the other hand. Mike Angel hears voices, which makes him either psychic or stark raving mad - take your pick.
Dale Van
Apr 18, 2016 Dale Van rated it it was amazing
The new Purple is Russian Red.

Wild women love the Angel and Mike loves them as well.
This is a very quick read with a lot of action,sex,murder and mayhem. From New Jersey, to Chicago to Mattoon, Ill
Nov 18, 2015 MARY STEPP rated it liked it

Don't really know how I liked this book. An easy read, a bit sappy. Storyline held true and easy to follow. Just didn't grab me. Will read another one of this author's work to see if I enjoy more.
Larry W Otte
Nov 14, 2015 Larry W Otte rated it it was amazing

I really enjoyed reading this book. I grew up in the 50s and 60s. I mostly enjoyed the banter and the real thoughts and language of the characters. Thanks.
larry brashear
Oct 27, 2015 larry brashear rated it really liked it
Great Writing!

I liked the dry humor this author gave to life experience. The main character was a bit too much sometimes but this made the story interesting.
Oct 06, 2014 waynealbritton rated it really liked it
Good read - not as good as some, but better than others

Had a fast start with lot of tricks and turns. Writes sex like he really understands the "ins and outs ".
Dee Cash
Oct 30, 2015 Dee Cash rated it it was ok

Dark Quarry was such a disappointment. It was mostly boring with a few interesting high spots. I guess I'm just not into the 1950s private eye stories.
Apr 14, 2013 Jack rated it liked it
Written in classic American PI style, this is a story of murder and mobsters set in the early sixties. PI Mike Angel appears to be totally irresistible to every dame that crosses his path.
Dixie Hamilton
Jan 13, 2012 Dixie Hamilton rated it it was ok
Set in the 1960s. Protagonist is a PI who calls women "dames" and says they have "moxie". A little too stereotypical for my taste.
John Vos
John Vos rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2015
Kathy Davis
Kathy Davis rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2015
Karlajo Jackson
Karlajo Jackson rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2014
Dixie Brooks
Dixie Brooks rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2015
Sherry rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2014
Twigs1704 rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2012
Donald R Lamb
Donald R Lamb rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2015
Perry rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2015
Esta rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Running of the Bulls (Fifth Avenue #2)
  • Dark Reckoning
  • Effected Intent
  • Chicago Lightning (Nathan Heller Short Stories, Volume 3)
  • The Noon God
  • Of Mice and Murderers (Z-Detective #1)
  • The Abigail Affair
  • Scarecrows
  • One O'Clock Jump: A Dorie Lennox Mystery
  • Killer In The Hills (A Jack Rhodes Mystery)
  • Blood Island
  • Julius Katz Mysteries
  • Mortal Sin
  • Cool Shade
  • Betrayed
  • Druid's Daughter (Garland of Druids, #1)
  • Family Cursemas (The Megamillionaire Murders)
  • The Prophet Motive

Mike Angel Mystery (8 books)
  • Dark Lake (Mike Angel Mystery #2)
  • Dark Blonde (Mike Angel Mystery #3)
  • Dark Poison (Mike Angel Mystery #4)
  • Dark Idol (Mike Angel Mystery #5)
  • Dark Moon