Rise of Empire (The Riyria Revelations, #3-4)

Rise of Empire (The Riyria Revelations #3-4)

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  11,000 ratings  ·  568 reviews
A PUPPET IS CROWNED. THE TRUE HEIR REMAINS HIDDEN. A ROGUE'S SECRET COULD CHANGE EVERYTHING.

War has come to Melengar and once more Royce and Hadrian are hired to make a desperate gamble and form an alliance with the Nationalists whom are fighting the Imperialists in the south. As the power of the Nyphron Empire grows, so does Royce's suspicion that the wizard Esrahaddon is...more
Published December 14th 2011 by Orbit (first published 2009)

The Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott LynchThe Thief by Megan Whalen TurnerThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienArtemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer
Thieves
28th out of 426 books — 792 voters
Theft of Swords by Michael J. SullivanRise of Empire by Michael J. SullivanHeir of Novron by Michael J. SullivanMistborn by Brandon SandersonThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
Epic Fantasy with little to no romance
2nd out of 38 books — 42 voters

More lists with this book...

Seak (Bryce L.)
Rise of Empire is the second omnibus of The Riyria Revelations, containing books three and four, Nyphron Rising and The Emerald Storm, in the six book series.

These two books step things up to a new level and I'm excited to see how this will all end. I still can't believe these were independently published and then republished by such as Orbit. They are definitely deserving.

Nyphron Rising

At the end of Avempartha, the Nyphronian church decided that the "heir," and therefore emperor (or empress as...more
Allison
Edit 11/13/2012:

I'm finally getting back to do a proper review!

I have to say, this installment is far more epic than the first book of the series, and therefore also a little heavier. Although I really enjoyed the light feel of The Crown Conspiracy, I am glad that it's broadening into something deeper. This series is really taking me by surprise and fast becoming a favorite.

Although the epic-ness does make it heavier, I still really don't feel that this series is too depressing, at least so far...more
Rabindranauth
Oh man, reading the Riyria Revelations is like watching snowball roll downhill in a cartoon. The further it rolls, the bigger and better it gets. Rise of Empire takes everything I loved in Theft of Swords and amped it up; mysteries deepen, action intensifies, the story becomes more absorbing, and it all becomes even more fun.

The first book in this two book omnibus is Nyphron Rising, and picks up directly after the events of Avempartha. The Church of Nyphron raises a puppet Empress, and the schem...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Maybe I should set up an "Epic Fantasy" shelf? Not sure if I want to go through my shelves and add another. Whether I do or not I can recommend these heartily.

This is the way I actually read these books, in the "two volume-volume" so to speak. It helps when the books are good to have the next one waiting. That was/is the case here and it's also good to have the 5th and 6th ones waiting, at least it was for me.

While there are a lot of Epic Fantasies now-a-days, there are very few really good one...more
Jonathan
As far as recent fantasy titles go this is a fine fantasy novel. However as I was reminded in my literature tutorial today often novels can be caught up by their classification into certain genres. For instance I am often loathe to go near the genre of romance because of the amount of smut that I've noticed often filters through. However I'm sure there are good romance novels out there (look at the classics for instance) but more often many novels have romantic elements in them. As such I want t...more
Komal
I need to impress upon those fantasy fans that haven’t picked up this series yet to do so immediately. Riyria Revelation is, by far, one of the most enjoyable collections, not only in this genre, but in all others as well.

(3.5/5)

Where Avempartha had me frowning a bit by diverting from the expectations I held, Nyphron Rising went right back on track. The story was still a bit slow in this one, but the highlight of the journey was Arista. Sullivan had dedicated this book to her. She...more
Kamla
Jun 22, 2012 Kamla rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of ‘cloak and dagger’, ‘sword and sorcery’, ‘political intrigue’ and/or ‘heroic duos’
An absolutely engrossing continuation to the The Riyria Revelations series!!

After being thoroughly captivated by Theft of Swords, I had high expectations for The Riyria Revelations series and couldn’t wait to start book 2. Rise of Empire, book 2 in the three book omnibus series, surely delivers with the build up of mystery, suspense and more than a few ‘hold your breath’ moments.

As more kingdoms are swallowed up by the devious machinations and military might of the New Empire and the Church of N...more
Mimi
These two books could easily be called "Searching for Red Herrings"

After a series of major changes in the last book(s), Royce and Hadrian are still pretty much themselves, though grimmer and more exhausted versions of themselves. Both are still working for the Melengar royal family, still sent on dubious quests to save the kingdom while subverting the Nyphron Empire, which sound like a lot but it's all in a days work. The work, however, is beginning to take its toll on both of them. With the wor...more
Rob
Executive Summary: I think both stories in this omnibus are an improvement over the first two. Both the writing and the character development is better. Can't wait to finish the series.

Audio book: Mr. Reynolds again does an excellent job as a narrator. It wasn't quite as good as the last omnibus, maybe for lack of his dwarven voice. Still, audiobook is the way to go with the series.

Full Review
Since this is an omnibus, I'm going to opt to review each story individually.

So once aga...more
Ron
Since I read and reviewed Nyphron Rising elsewhere, I'm reviewing only The Emerald Storm here, even though this volume includes both books. I'm giving this story three stars only because Michael is such a great storyteller--and a good guy, too.

Some people like stories that go nowhere. Stories that wander through the countryside or, even better, explore all the corners of the map at the front (or back) of the book. These readers don't particularly care whether anything actually happens in the boo...more
Doug Bradshaw
***SLIGHT SPOILERS***

I can't say that I liked this better than the first, but I liked it a lot except for one thing: It leaves you totally hanging. Hate that. I wanted a tidy conclusion and the heads of the ne're-do-wells to fly off their shoulders. But no, every bad guy is winning and gloating and our heroes and heroines are locked up ready to be sacrificed.

I love the whole feeling of this world of great history, lost magic that is getting revived, long since hidden cities and heirs to thrones...more
D.E.M. Emrys
The beast is slain.

The heir is found.

An Empire is born.

Two thieves are in a world of trouble. The kingdom of Melengar stands against the chuch and the new Empire, cornered like a crook in an alley. But, alleys have their shadows, and thieves lurk in the shadows. Royce and Hadrian are back, partners in crime. They’ve escaped a dungeon, stole a Prince, and more besides, but they’re in for their toughest job yet.

Going behind enemy lines is no job for a soldier, but for two thieves…? The only h
Benjamin Thomas
When I read the first book of this series, Theft of Swords, I felt it was a great fantasy story, full of adventure, etc. but suffering a bit from too many standard fantasy tropes. In my review I had expressed my hope that as the series progresses, we would see the author take a few more chances with his work and let this evolve into the truly epic fantasy story that it could be.

Happily, I am pleased to report that Mr Sullivan has succeeded...in spades! This middle set of the series (actually boo...more
Natalie Grange
Sword fights, intrigue, armies, pirates, cannibals, love, loss, determination, courage, loyalty, a dog, an elf, unrequited love, sacrifice, and of course hottie swordsmen!!!

Make this into a movie already!!! ;) I can't say enough good about this series! I hope the last book doesn't ruin the awesomeness! A Sci-fi history for those of us who don't have any desire to speak elven! ;)

rameau
Writing–I imagine–the second book of a trilogy (or in this case the third and fourth book of a six part series) is always more difficult than the first. At that point you know the characters and the world already, but there's always more under the surface that needs to come out and the exposure can't end up hindering the actual storyline. The stakes are higher. How to keep people interested while the danger increases, things go wrong–they must go wrong for the ultimate pay off to be worth it–and...more
Marcela (BookaholicCat)
Rise of Empire is the second omnibus in The Riyria Revelations series by Michael J. Sullivan, this installment contains the third and fourth books in the series: Nyphron Rising and The Emerald Storm.

The above blurb describes what Nyphron Rising is about. After events in Avempartha (second book) The Empire has been stablished, slowly they are taking over other kingdoms, just very few are left, one of those is Melengar. The new and young king Alric is not faring well, his decisions are question an...more
Banner
After the first two books I was so engaged with Royce and Hadrian that I had to read the next books in the series. I was not disappointed. These two guys are some of the funniest characters to be around in modern fantasy. They remind me a bit of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, only with swords.
I'm enjoying the plot, it's not to taxing to follow; however I found it a little drawn out this time. But the author's talented way of bring you into the story makes it easier than most to keep up wit...more
Book Bandit
Gave books 1-2 (read the omnibus) 4 stars and gave these 2 books (#3-4) 5 stars. The author expanded upon the prior books and really kicked it up a notch. More plot twists, character growth, plot development, etc. while keeping up the fun banter, action and storyline around the 2 main characters. The added depth of these books comes without any of the over-burdening that sometimes comes with long fantasy series. If you enjoyed the previous books, I think you will appreciate these books as well (...more
Skip
I wish I head read this sooner after Theft of Swords. Hadrian and Royce must both deal with their pasts in Hintindar and Colnora, respectively, as they battle against the hegemony of evil leaders of the Nyphron Church, who have ordained Thrace (now called Modina) as Empress. Princess Arista really comes into her own in these books as a powerful leader and sorceress. But, it is Hadrian and Royce, whose character and morals, form the core of this truly excellent addition to the fantasy genre.
Sham27
Amazing....! I liked the plot, the characters(I LOVE Royce!!!), though I wished there was Myron, I liked the setting and I can keep the list going!:)

This book just kept me guessing what would happen next and I want more of it. Once again just AMAZING!!!

Wonder what more twist the third volume will present. So, will be grabbing the third volume right after writing this review(seriously can't wait). ;)
Blodeuedd Finland
Here is where you hear me swearing because I do not have book 3 ready *insert curse*. I seriously need more, and this coming from someone who has done pretty much nothing else than read for 2 days straight. Sp sorry if nothing I say make sense in this review.

Ok where to start? That is always the question, I am still high on good book, I do love fantasy, I just love to read without stopping and just feel that I am getting lost in another world, that nothing else exists anymore. And that is what t...more
Jojo
It's tough sometimes, reading the second novel of an author. You now know them and what to expect. But you're never sure if it would live up to the first book which hooked you so well. Rest assured that Sullivan continues his magic in this novel with the same amount of action and intrigue as before!

The story picks up a few months after the second but don't expect a recap. There are some references to events in the first book but otherwise, Sullivan expects you to keep up! Anyway, Hadrian is feel...more
Benjamin Love
I am thoroughly enjoying this series. This entry finds Riyria visiting a lot more locations than they had in the previous book (Theft of Swords). Where Theft centered around thievery and "dragon-slaying", Empire is a much more swashbuckling and high adventure themed book. Here the characters really get going and start their arcs toward where they will end.

The short of it: highly recommended if you like good, old-fashioned adventure. The story is fun, the characters relatable, and the plot moves...more
Melissa Hayden
I'm reviewing the 2 books individual
Nyphron Rising:
Once again Michael Sullivan has delivered an amazing story. I love how these stories are complete in themselves yet there is the underlying thread through them all, and growing more evident. Michael gives you all the pieces from the previous books to refresh your memory or if you haven't read them so you know what is happening.

This book has our wonderful thieves; Royce and Hadrian, but also the amazing character Princess Arista. In the story Pr...more
Tasha Turner
What to say? I told my husband this weekend that I'm falling in love with Michael J. Sullivan but he shouldn't get jealous. It's hard to separate each book out for reviewing. I read both series within 2 weeks. I couldn't stop reading to write reviews.

Strong characters, men and women. Michael makes them sweat, he puts them in seeming impossible ethical/moral positions, he forces them to stretch all their muscles and grow. The world-building is fascinating, the way he plays with magic and religion...more
Bane of Kings
Original Post: http://thefoundingfields.com/2012/03/...

I read Theft of Swords, the first Riyria Revelations novel quite some time ago, and now that I have finally devoured both Nyphron Rising and The Emerald Storm, I can tell you that I really enjoyed the time that I spent reading Rise of Empire. In fact, I’d go so far as to say that I enjoyed this Omnibus as much as the first collection.

The creation of the Nyphron Empire has brought the battle to Melengar, and in order to save her kingdom, Prin...more
Alex Telander
In Theft of Swords, Michael J. Sullivan introduced us to the unusual duo in Royce and Hadrian, giving readers some ideas of what fun and adventures they like to get up to in the first two volumes of The Riyria Revelations. In this second collected installment, Rise of Empire, readers learn more about the world and the changes that are happening here, and where our two heroes are headed next.

In Nyphron Rising, things take a turn for the worse as war comes sweeping through to Melengar and its peop...more
Darren
I've combined my separate book reviews into an omnibus review:

Book Three: Nyphron Rising

I enjoyed this book, just not much as the first two.

It was a good third book and certainly laid out all of the major pieces on the game board, so to speak. A lot of new characters were introduced, which sometimes made it difficult to follow, and perhaps my all time favorite chapter - 14 - from the series thus far was a joy to read.

The splintering of the storyline in the last portion of the book was interest...more
Klymene
Jan 19, 2012 Klymene marked it as to-read
Again with the handsome boys on the front cover. Can someone tell me who they are in real life or where I could find someone like them?! I'm almost 80% positive that once I read the book, I'll be in love.

Ah.. the missing middle book. I thought I had it somewhere. Now... I need to go and get these books. I need to read Mr. Ex-Assassin in the flesh. You know why books are always better than the movies? Because there is so much description in the books about the characters and the scenes, that it a...more
  • The Spirit War (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #4)
  • The Blinding Knife (Lightbringer, #2)
  • The Tyrant's Law (The Dagger and the Coin, #3)
  • A Dance of Blades (Shadowdance, #2)
  • Sworn in Steel (Tales of the Kin, #2)
  • Blood Song (A Raven's Shadow, #1)
  • The Crimson Campaign (The Powder Mage, #2)
  • The Daylight War (Demon Cycle, #3)
  • King of Thorns (The Broken Empire, #2)
  • The Emperor's Blades (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #1)
  • Shadow's Master (Shadow Saga, #3)
  • The Line of Illeniel (Mageborn, #2)
  • The Thousand Names (The Shadow Campaigns, #1)
  • The Crimson Vault (The Traveler's Gate Trilogy, #2)
2063919
Buy direct: Save 15%, get signed and/or dedicated books, and provide author the highest possible income. Print available for all copies, ebooks include Hollow World. Speaking of which, Hollow World has been picked for a book of the month read. Click here to join in the discussion during the month of May.

After finding a manual typewriter in the basement of a friend's house, Michael J. Sullivan inse...more
More about Michael J. Sullivan...
Theft of Swords (The Riyria Revelations, #1-2) Heir of Novron (The Riyria Revelations, #5-6) The Crown Tower (The Riyria Chronicles #1) The Crown Conspiracy (The Riyria Revelations, #1) Avempartha (The Riyria Revelations, #2)

“Have you ever been in love, Hadrian?”
“I’m not sure. How do you tell?”
“Love? Why, it’s like coming home.”
Hadrian considered the comment.
“What are you thinking?” Bulard asked.
Hadrian shook his head. “Nothing.”
“Yes, you were. What? You can tell me. I’m an excellent repository for secrets. I’ll likely forget, but if I don’t, well, I’m an old man in a remote
jungle. I’m sure to die before I can repeat anything.”
Hadrian smiled, then shrugged. “I was just thinking about the rain.”
14 likes
“You think you’re a very clever fellow, don’t you?” Saldur challenged.
“No, Your Grace,” Merrick replied. “Clever is the man who makes a fortune selling dried-up cows, explaining how it saves the farmers the trouble of getting up every morning to milk them. I’m not clever—I’m a genius.”
13 likes