Start by marking “The Christmas Shoppe” as Want to Read:

3.76  ·  Rating Details ·  1,854 Ratings  ·  296 Reviews
The small town of Parrish Springs is not ready for Matilda Honeycutt. A strange older woman with scraggly gray hair and jewelry that jangles as she walks, Matilda is certainly not the most likely person to buy the old Barton Building on the town's quaint main street. When it becomes apparent that her new shop doesn't fit the expectations of Parrish Springs residents, a ...more
Published September 1st 2011 by Fleming H. Revell Company

To ask other readers questions about The Christmas Shoppe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Christmas Shoppe

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern1Q84 by Haruki MurakamiThe Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWittThe Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison AllenThe American Heiress by Daisy Goodwin
Best Cover Art 2011 (Non-YA)
50th out of 291 books — 1,642 voters
Elsewhere by Gabrielle ZevinCan You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaThe Other Side of the Island by Allegra GoodmanThe Christmas Shoppe by Melody CarlsonAre We There Yet? by David Levithan
Let It Snow - Snowglobes on Covers
4th out of 33 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Beth
This was a sugary sweet, quick read. It was entertaining, but there isn't much to the story. Very Hallmark-ish, which isn't really my thing, but nice for a one-time Christmas read.
Hannah
1.5 stars. I'm being generous.

This was one of the most depressing stories I've read all year. The only reason I finished is because it was short and I kept thinking that surely a Christmas story would turn around and get happier.

So a strange woman comes to town in November with a car full of junk and a hippie sense of style. She pays cash for a building up for auction and refuses to tell anyone what she's going to do. Understandably, the townsfolk get suspicious. Anything could be going on. She
Maria
A quirky woman, a strange Christmas store and a bunch of people fighting to keep their shops and town safe. Who is Matilda Honeycutt? And why did she go to Parrish Springs without any apparent reason?

I liked this story but I have to admit that I found it highly unlikely. I agree that Christmastime is a magical season and anything can happen, but I thought this was too far-fetched. The plot was lovely, really, if this kind of thing could happen in real life, I would be the first one to want a wom
Giovanni Gelati
Nov 14, 2011 Giovanni Gelati rated it it was amazing
I have my wife hooked on these things, these little novels around this time of year. Melody Carlson is beginning to become a tradition here at Casa de Gelati. My wife reads the story and then tells me to read it. I know I will enjoy it so I do and did, then my daughters form a line and the book goes from one to the other till they have all read it. Pretty good mileage on this novel.
What is not to like? The cover just rocks, the content is just as good if not better which is a true compliment bec
Abbie Riddle
Nov 13, 2011 Abbie Riddle rated it it was amazing
An eccentric old lady with strange ways, a small town, a ruthless City Councilman and a new to town City Manager fleeing a past of brokenness and pain are thrown together in a story that effects every one in this sleepy little town.

Melody Carlson has woven together a heart-touching story of faith and redemption. This book is just the right length to read on a lazy fall day as you cuddle beneath a stack of blankets. The story is easy enough to read that from the first page the reader is drawn in
Shari Larsen
Dec 18, 2012 Shari Larsen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The small town of Parrish Springs is not ready for Matilda Honeycutt; an eccentric older woman with long gray hair and jewelry that jangles as she walks. There are rumors going around about the mystical woman; is she witch, or an aging hippie selling drugs, or is she planning to sue the town?

Matilda is certainly not the most likely person to purchase the old Barton Building on the quaint main street. When her new shop doesn't fit in with the expectations of the other business owners of the town,
Gabrielle
My first Holiday/Christmas Story. I adored it. it's warm quirky feel. the characters were funny. the writing style was simple easy to read. the plot was festive and with a strong pleasant message about God's love grace and forgiveness also learning to opening your heart to love, to people and to forgiving yourself.

the message in this story is iconic and valuable you don't have to be spiritual or religious to receive it and enjoy it. the story plot reminds of heavens grocery store. Matilda Honey
Mayda
Oct 11, 2011 Mayda rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, christmas
The Christmas Shoppe is a charming, heart-warming tale set in a small town. A rather peculiar woman comes to the town, purchases a store, and opens a Christmas shop. But this store, like its owner, is unlike anything the townspeople have ever seen. Barely veiled hostility erupts from the other business people and town leaders because of the shabbiness of the store’s used merchandise. But there is more to the store – and this tale – than meets the eye. Is it magic? Is this strange person working ...more
Kalena
Christmas fiction; first book read by this author. I admit to not reading a lot of Christmas-themed books, however, I decided to join in on this group read. It was reminiscent of 30 minute TV shows where everything is resolved quickly and without too much fuss. The idea behind the book is a good one. There should be more forgiveness, patience, peace, truth, and love in the world. More fluff than substance although it was a very quick read.
Teya Peck
Dec 02, 2015 Teya Peck rated it really liked it
This was an interesting read. I personally expected a romance or whatever, but this was a different take on the Christmas season, forgiveness and peace. I really enjoyed it. Fast read in read it in one day.
Rayni
Dec 31, 2012 Rayni rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one.
Recommended to Rayni by: Pixel of Ink
I really didn't like this book. Matilda was the catalyst, but you never got to learn anything about her. I almost wish I hadn't read it.
Loraine
Dec 21, 2011 Loraine rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully quirky Christmas story filled with a delightfully refreshing Christmas spirit.
Ibjoy1953 Hannabass
Nov 29, 2011 Ibjoy1953 Hannabass rated it it was amazing
The Christmas Shoppe.....by Melody Carlson

An old historic building is up for sale along the towns shopping stores and the new stranger in town purchases it. The town people are suspicious of Matilda Honeycutt because she is opening a new store but the only thing they see that she has is old junk that no one would want. This causes quite a stir among the townspeople and they get together to see what they can do about running her out of town before she ruins all of their Christmas business.

Matilda
Cindy
Nov 05, 2011 Cindy rated it really liked it
Do you have everything you need? Well neither do the people of Parrish Springs, however they do not understand that the things they really need are not things but perhaps concepts and feelings. Like love, forgiveness, peace, kindness. When a new lady comes to town, Matilda Honeycutt and buys the Barton Building, the downtown businesses are worried about what type of business will be going in. Imagine their dismay, after waiting weeks it seems this business is a thrift store, filled with horrible ...more
Trinity Rose
Nov 06, 2011 Trinity Rose rated it it was amazing
The Christmas Shoppe is a uniquely different kind of Christmas story. It is what should really happen at Christmas.
Matilda comes into town to open a shop and it seems everyone turns against her because she is strange and different until they each one by one come into her shop.
I think Matilda is a very loveable character and full of vim and vigor. She doesn’t back down when people get mean or cross to her, she just shows them love.
I really like this book because it shows us that no matter what
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
Nov 08, 2011 Holly (2 Kids and Tired) rated it really liked it
Last year, I really enjoyed Melody Carlson's Christmas novella, Christmas at Harrington's and so I was excited to see a new one from her this year. The Christmas Shoppe was just as charming.

New city manager Susanna Elton is still trying to get her bearings when Matilda Honeycutt shows up and purchases a prime storefront. An angry councilman wanted the building and is determined to see Matilda run out of town. As Susanna and Tommy Thompson, newspaper editor, try to uncover Matilda's secrets, they
Jenn O'Brien
Oct 10, 2011 Jenn O'Brien rated it really liked it
Let the season of Christmas books begin! (Yes, I know I have a Christmas addiction, I freely admit it.) I think the thing I love the most is that you know with a Christmas book that everything is going to turn out better; the reader comes away with a hopeful, uplifted feeling that in turn gives a boost of positive energy to your attitude. I guess you could call it an infusion of the spirit of the holiday season.

As soon as I began reading this story, I could a made-for-TV movie unfolding before m
Melanie
Nov 07, 2011 Melanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
Melody Carlson
Revell

The Bantam building, center of Main Street in small town Parrish Springs is auctioned off in a sealed envelope auction. Matilda Honeycutt comes out of nowhere and wins the bid for the building. Who is this mysterious older woman who has come to open a Christmas Shoppe?
As the town’s newspaper owner Tom, upon request of Councilman George, seeks out to find the nitty gritty on Matilda, the town’s people begin to change.

A great start to the Christmas season on
Carly
Nov 06, 2011 Carly rated it really liked it
I just don’t think Christmastime would be right without one of Melody Carlson’s Christmas stories. I have read her new Christmas book every year for the past few years and I always enjoy them. The Christmas Shoppe was no exception. I enjoyed the cozy, small town and the interesting characters that Melody created. Now, this book like all of her Christmas books, is a simple story without a great deal of depth or development. And that’s okay because Melody saves that for her other books. This book ...more
Jane
Dec 19, 2015 Jane rated it really liked it
This is a quick, light-hearted read about forgiveness and healing. (Sounds like an impossibility, but here it is!) Set in a small town at Christmas time, the story reveals that each and every citizen of Parrish Hills is harboring some sort of deep heartache. Through contact with a mysterious and magical newcomer to town, each finds healing and hope for new life. Though no one personal story is developed in detail, the story manages to drive home the simple truth that hope and life are found in ...more
Camie
Dec 23, 2014 Camie rated it liked it
A sweet timely read for the season. Strange bohemian Matilda Honeycutt comes to small town Parrish Springs and causes a stir by opening up what appears to be a rather motley second hand store , The Christmas Shoppe, in the middle of town, but attitudes begin to change as townspeople are drawn to the unique shoppe and discover it's treasures. 3.5 stars
Janelle
Judging by everyone's reviews, most people seem to find this book enchanting. I lasted two chapter, until I couldn't stand any more small town pettiness Not sure if there's something wrong with the book or something wrong with me.
I'm sure it gets better and develops into something wonderful. I just couldn't wait that long.
Lois
Nov 09, 2011 Lois rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
Well, it is the time of year for eggnog and Christmas books. Melody Carlson has another stellar Christmas book this year with a sweet story that will bring tears to your eyes and remind you of the true reason we celebrate Christmas. Enjoy.
Lynne Young
Sep 20, 2011 Lynne Young rated it it was amazing
This is a delightful, quick read. Perfect for the holidays. The subtle meanings in this book can apply to anyone of us and it is a very uplifting, heartwarming story. If you are looking for a book to lift your spirit this holiday season, this book is a must read.
Paula
Feb 03, 2012 Paula rated it really liked it
A magical Christmas story!
Paula
Dec 01, 2013 Paula rated it it was amazing
Such an enjoyable Christmas story!
Megan
Nov 30, 2016 Megan rated it it was ok
The Christmas Shoppe is a classic "Hallmarkish" type story. A strange woman comes to a small town and opens a shop. However, she is very vague about the shop and her herself leading up to the opening of the shop. The towns people are in an uproar over this strange outsider opening a second hand shop.

The story is very fluffy with little substance; however it was feel-good and had a feeling of Christmas magic which is always nice during the hectic-ness of the holidays. A book about slowing down a
Jae Roth
Dec 03, 2016 Jae Roth rated it really liked it
This was a sweet little story. A very "Halmark" sort of tale about a town of people, each with a piece that's broken--as life can sometimes do to us--and an odd woman who comes to town and opens The Christmas Shoppe.

This is a feel good kind of story with characters we all know reflections of in our own lives. The theme is a reminder that we are all walking around with our missing pieces and that sometimes we just need to find them, in an unlikely place, to make us whole again.
Sandra Strange
Dec 05, 2016 Sandra Strange rated it it was ok
Another warm fuzzy book for Christmas, though Carlson's are well written. This one's a bit contrived with a stereotypical all-knowing mysterious stranger as the catalyst that changes characters instantly from nasty to nice by tapping into their childhood memories to help them deal with the issues that have made them nasty. Still worth reading and positive.
Jayme(the ghost reader)
This was a cute Christmas book. It takes place in a small town. The main character Matilda Honeycutt tries to spread Christmas cheer but the townspeople are at first against her. She wins them over by having the exact thing they need. I have read two other books by this author, "Christmas at Harrington's" and "The Christmas Bus". I enjoyed those books more than this one.
  • Christmas Roses
  • Remembering Christmas
  • A Marriage Carol
  • A Lancaster County Christmas
  • A Wild Goose Chase Christmas
  • Two Tickets to the Christmas Ball
  • One Imperfect Christmas
  • The Nine Lives of Christmas
  • Blame It On The Mistletoe (Bright's Pond #4)
  • Love Finds You Under the Mistletoe
  • Christmas Vows: $5.00 Extra
  • A Victorian Christmas
  • A Simple Amish Christmas
  • Finding Christmas: Stories of Startling Joy and Perfect Peace
Melody Carlson is the award-winning author of over two hundred books, several of them Christmas novellas from Revell, including her much-loved and bestselling book, The Christmas Bus.

She also writes many teen books, including the Diary of a Teenage Girl series, the TrueColors series, and the Carter House Girls series.

Melody was nominated for a Romantic Times Career Achievement Award in the inspi
More about Melody Carlson...

“She led him into the family room and introduced him to Alice and Jeremy. Sensing Tommy’s eyes on her and” 0 likes