Pale as a Ghost

Pale as a Ghost (Duncan Andrews Thriller #1)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  180 ratings  ·  55 reviews
Private detective Duncan Andrews’s best friend Gina is a witch. His dog is a zombie. And his dead boyfriend, Robbie, is a ghost. So it’s hardly any wonder that he uses his connection to the supernatural to help him solve cases. Good thing, too, because Duncan has his hands full. Janice Sanderson, the richest woman in Indianapolis, wants him to find her stripper daughter, B...more
Published April 15th 2011 by Dreamspinner Press, LLC (first published April 14th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Pale as a Ghost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pale as a Ghost

Among the Living by Jordan Castillo PriceThe Ghost on My Couch by L.A. GilbertCamp Hell by Jordan Castillo PriceCriss Cross by Jordan Castillo PriceBody and Soul by Jordan Castillo Price
Best Gay Ghosts
22nd out of 121 books — 157 voters
Captive Prince by C.S. PacatCaptive Prince by C.S. PacatZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleCut & Run by Abigail RouxShattered Glass by Dani Alexander
Best M/M With An Actual Story
432nd out of 457 books — 242 voters

More lists with this book...

Deeze
I really enjoyed this story.

The humour and mystery worked well for me. Gina is one of the rare female leads I don't want to strangle, but Daisy needed a bigger role though lol.

The romance side was sadly bittersweet. Robbie is a lovely, lovable guy, but sadly he is dead, so the romance was based on the past. You do get a feel for Robbie, but I never really got a feel for Robbie and Duncan as a couple. The story does work well and sets the stage for future books that I look forward to reading.

E...more
Don Bradshaw
This book was a lot of fun to read. Duncan Andrews is far from your average private investigator. His dead boyfriend's ghost hangs out with him, his dog is a zombie and his best friend is a hundreds year old witch. Add to that a small dose of psychic ability and you soon find out why Detective Carson of the Indianapolis police department cringes every time he hears that Duncan is on a case. The book had no sex in it which was a nice change but showed the love between Duncan and his ghost boyfri...more
Chris
Very good m/m paranormal romantic suspense about a private investigator who has a zombie dog and a jealous ghostly boyfriend to deal with as he works cases involving a possession and a supernatural serial killer.
Heather C
This was a very enjoyable light read for me. The characters were sweet. I really liked Duncan and Robbie. Poor Robbie. He was such a sweetheart. And who wouldn't love to have zombie bulldog who needs to chomp the heads off of squirrels everyday to stay "alive". Gotta love Daisy...so protective of Duncan. I enjoyed the mystery and trying to figure out what "the man" really was even though it was pretty obvious.

There were a few inconsistencies in the plot the bothered me on occasion but it was st...more
Diane Adams
Writing reviews isn't something I do very well, and so I'll tell you what I thought. Pale as a Ghost is an excellent read. I recommended it to anyone who likes a solid paranormal mystery with a little romance mixed in for good measure. I loved the humor laced through out the story as well as the bitter-sweet romance with the ghost boyfriend. It's a fun satisfying read which I enjoyed very much.
Jenn
Private Detective Duncan Andrews has a complicated life. He has a ghost for a boyfriend, a witch best friend, a lovable and hungry zombie dog, and he solves unusual crimes on top of that. In this first installment, Duncan has been hired for two separate cases, a blue female ghost haunting a family and finding a missing, rebellious girl. Along the way, he meets Nick, a man that just may convince Duncan to move on from his dead boyfriend and start dating someone human.

OH…OH…OH…how I heart this spe...more
Ann
Well, that was fun.

Duncan Andrews is a private detective who has a zombie dog named Daisy, a best friend Gina, the witch and a boyfriend Robbie, who died 10 years ago but is still around. Duncan also has a bit of the sixth sense that helps in his business and his life is far from normal. This odd life though has become his normal and the humor and snark he uses as he takes all the strange things that happen to him in stride are hilarious.

Duncan ends up meeting a perfectly nice guy, Nick. But, ho...more
Holly

Pale as a Ghost is a solid 4 star read. Very likable main characters and many things that I enjoy - paranormal/urban fantasy, a mystery, a serial killer, a dog and an actual *plot*.

The relationship between the two main characters is sweet, if unconventional (one is a ghost and they can't really touch, let alone have sex) but there is great love between them. It really is very poignant. And the plot keeps the book moving forward at a quick pace. Lots of action and adventure. The secondary charac...more
Ami
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
It was very different than I expected. I always sort of expect romance but this was more of a fun private detective/criminal type novel. Not a mystery completely but close. I really enjoyed it although the ghost of a boyfriend seemed a bit too sweet..maybe a little syrupy for me. I tend to like things rough not sweet.

The main character was awesome. Just such a down to earth and funny guy..the kind you can picture as a best friend or buddy no problem. And the Zombie dog and the witch best friend...more
Zach Sweets
Fantastic read! Plenty of mystery and action. Sex scenes kept at minimal and perfect for the book itself. Love the idea of how a human and a ghost still have a relationship together even though they couldn't do a physical relationship together. A quick read as well. Highly recommended. ;D
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
Had some really funny moments

I liked Duncan but he had a few annoying TSTL moments

The whole Nick, Robbie, and Duncan sex idea really wasn't appealing to me so not sure if I will read the next one since the whole set up for it just wasn’t my thing
LiveYourLife BuyTheBook
4 Stars
A "Live Your Life, Buy The Book" Review

I’m very glad I came across this series. I’ll admit I’m not usually a fan of human and ghost romances but this one was awesome. This story was a murder mystery with a nod to jack the ripper and all his bloody horror. The book is set in a modern day world where the supernatural live among humans. Who, for the most part, have no clue they’re there. Private Detective Duncan Andrews can see them or is open to the possibilities of them. He can sense when...more
I really enjoyed this one! I was very glad to see Robbie will be making an appearance again, he was my favorite character. Don't get me wrong, the story had a number of great characters but for some reason I could just sympathize with Robbie. Can't wait for the next installment on their story.
Susan
This was a great read. It had humour, paranormal elements and (a little bit of) romance. I loved Duncan's sense of humour which he definitely needed to put up with everything that was going on in his life. His relationship with Robbie was a little bittersweet and I really want to see what happens with Nick in the second book. It made a nice change to have a strong, positive female character in Gina but probably the star of the whole book for me was Daisy, Duncan's zombie dog!
Meggie
This was refreshing story and really good plotted. Ghosts give me creeps personally but the idea that a loved one stays with you true the years even as a ghost is really deeply romantic and pure of love. I liked that idea a lot. And how the plot developed at the end I so hoped Robbie would show up again even if I was annoyed by his attitude at start. But I liked both of them as a couple. Definitely have to admit, that I enjoyed this story!! RECOMMENDED STORY!
Tara
I'm a fan. And seriously, what isn't to love about this book. Stephen Osborne gives us a detective- Duncan Andrews-that is so awesome I can't decide where to start. I'm a big Harry Dresdan fan and a huge Joss Whedon fan and if this book is any indication this series will soon join it.

Duncan's boyfriend is a ghost, his best friend is a witch and his dog is a zombie. What's not to love? Except Duncan himself seems to have a pretty passive psychic ability to sense the supernatural, but isn't actua...more
Mary
I had a lot of fun reading this. Duncan is an awesome character-he's such an optimist. No matter what situation he found himself in, he always had a witty remark or tried to see it in a positive light. For a guy who has a sixth sense for the supernatural, is living with the ghost of his long dead boyfriend-Robbie, has a pet who just happens to be a zombie, and whose best friend is a witch-that is no small feat, especially taking into account that he hasn't been with anyone in 10 years.

The chance...more
piranha
i have a hard time categorizing this -- it's not really a romance, though it has romantic notes, and it's not really a mystery because it doesn't have enough sleuthing plot, though it's got the hardboiled detective tone down quite well. i'm ok with genre-bending though, because what it does have is great characters -- duncan, who is a solid, dependable, responsible big softie under all the quips, robbie, his ghost boyfriend, dead for 10 years, who keeps looking out for him even when jealous, gin...more
Lexi Ander
I don't think I have ever read a book that had a ghost for a love interest. The difficulties of such a relationship were well depicted and as it turned out I liked Robbie. That he and Duncan were in love wasn't a question, it was just hard without the physical contact. I found myself rooting for them to find a way for it to work around it. I was hoping that Gina would zap him or something but that would have been too easy.

There is a surprising amount of activity in the plot. Never a dull moment...more
Suze
I liked this one. Yes, its a bit paranormal with witches and ghosts and ghouls but seated in enough of reality that it was comfortable for me.
I liked the premise of the ghost boyfriend and I wasn't sure how that would work but it does seem to - unless you are either Duncan or Robbie and want to have sex!
The paranormal, who dunnit was quite good but my focus was on the relationship and how it would pan out. I felt sorry for Duncan and Nick especially - he really was dumped in a situation he knew...more
Paul Wright
To simply say this was not your everyday M/M romance would be a terrible understatement, BUT it was a hell of a ride through some crazy sh*t with Duncan! It'll be a long time before Duncan, Robbie, Gina and the assembled cast of crazies leave my thoughts. I'll be looking for more from this author because I like the style and pacing of the writing and really like the characters that spring to life (or after-life in some cases) from his wonderful mind. If off-beat supernatural with a M/M element i...more
Sherry
I am glad I gave this author another chance after reading Pop Goes the Weasel because I was not a huge fan of it. This story is quirky and endearing. You want so badly for Duncan to be with his lover, Robbie, but it's just not meant to be. I wanted to give them both a big hug!
Plainbrownwrapper
I'm sorry to say that this just didn't do it for me. I'm a big fan of UF type stories, but this one just lacked spark. The writing wasn't snappy enough, gripping enough......something enough. I was bored.

Sorry, Duncan! Sorry, Stephen! I'm sure this was intended as the start to a series, so maybe subsequent books will improve!
Grandmat
Not spooky, but lots of funny quips. Still, it has tension and violence. I liked it, and liked the characters. If you're looking for hot sex, nope, not here. However, there is a lot of sexual tension and funny efforts to get there. I hope there is a sequel to solve Duncan's little sexual problem.
Birte
Dec 10, 2013 Birte rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: xx
A fun, though also bittersweet read. I feel so sorry for Duncan and Robbie for still being in love even after so many years, but not being able to really touch each other. The 2 mistery cases added a good plot and everything put together made the book a real pageturner for me
Anne Barwell
Loved this. It's a great almost tongue in cheek style of writing but with just the right amount of emotion for those scenes. I loved the setup, characters, plot and banter and really hoping that this is the first of a series as I want more.
Wusswoo
Thanks to Deeze mentioning this one, I had to reread it. I had forgotten how much I loved this one. Perfect for a rainy, miserable Sunday. This one makes me laugh and cry. This little story has a lot of heart and breaks mine a little.
Alison
Definitely an amazing story. I would recommend it to any fan of the paranormal genre as it has just enough humour, suspense, and quirky characters to make it an enjoyable read. I will be keeping an eye out for Mr Osborne's future releases.
Tessa
Wonderful story of a private detective, his dead boyfriend, his witch friend, his zombie dog and the difficulties of life. No deep insights, but just fun to read. Also the following books.
  • The Hanged Man's Ghost
  • A Weapon Of Opportunity
  • He Speaks Dead
  • Dead Man and the Restless Spirits (Dead Man, #1)
  • Rhapsody for Piano and Ghost
  • Marlowe's Ghost
  • The Ghost on My Couch
  • Unspeakable Words
  • The Haunted Heart: Winter (The Haunted Heart, #1)
  • Rinse and Repeat
  • His Soul to Take
  • Liquid Glass
  • Windows in Time
  • The Psychic's Tale
  • Spook Squad (PsyCop, #7)
  • A Reason To Believe
  • Hainted
  • Abercrombie Zombie
Animal Instinct Wrestling With Jesus Pop Goes the Weasel Temporal Driftwood The Scarlet Tide

“It’s just that… I’m wanting to start dating myself.” I saw Gina’s eyes bug out. “I don’t mean dating myself. I’ve been doing that for ten years now. It’s gotten to the point where I buy my left hand chocolates on Valentine’s Day.” 4 likes
“My hand found its way back to her knee. I hoped it was to comfort her. I’d hate to think that my right hand was straight. “Soon. I’ll call her this afternoon and get back to you.”

She nodded. I removed my right hand, thankful that I was left-handed. I’d hate to have to try masturbating with a straight hand. It probably wouldn’t cooperate. And then where would I be?”
2 likes