Start by marking “Pale as a Ghost (Duncan Andrews Thrillers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Pale as a Ghost (Duncan Andrews Thrillers, #1)

Pale as a Ghost (Duncan Andrews Thrillers #1)

Private detective Duncan Andrews’s best friend Gina is a witch. His dog is a zombie. And his dead boyfriend, Robbie, is a ghost. So it’s hardly any wonder that he uses his connection to the supernatural to help him solve cases. Good thing, too, because Duncan has his hands full. Janice Sanderson, the richest woman in Indianapolis, wants him to find her stripper daughter, ...more
Published April 15th 2011 by Dreamspinner Press, LLC (first published April 14th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Pale as a Ghost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pale as a Ghost

Among the Living by Jordan Castillo PriceThe Ghost on My Couch by L.A. GilbertCamp Hell by Jordan Castillo PriceCriss Cross by Jordan Castillo PriceBody and Soul by Jordan Castillo Price
Best Gay Ghosts
23rd out of 146 books — 184 voters
Camp Hell by Jordan Castillo PriceAmong the Living by Jordan Castillo PriceThe Case Of The Wicked Wolf by Amber KellPale as a Ghost by Stephen OsborneFalling by M.L. Rhodes
Paranormal Mysteries with Gay characters
4th out of 27 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Jenni Lea
May 28, 2016 Jenni Lea rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jenni Lea by: Ann

This!

I was just saying last weekend that I wished I could find urban fantasy within the m/m genre. It seems that most of the paranormal books out there are filled with so much sex that they lose the story and wouldn't it be great to read a story along the lines of Patricia Briggs or Ilona Andrews but have the main characters be gay? I've searched so long for something like that but, with the exception of Rhys Ford's Black Dog Blues and Cari Z's book that she wrote for me, Ten Simple Tips for Sur
Deeze
I really enjoyed this story.

The humour and mystery worked well for me. Gina is one of the rare female leads I don't want to strangle, but Daisy needed a bigger role though lol.

The romance side was sadly bittersweet. Robbie is a lovely, lovable guy, but sadly he is dead, so the romance was based on the past. You do get a feel for Robbie, but I never really got a feel for Robbie and Duncan as a couple. The story does work well and sets the stage for future books that I look forward to reading.

E
Chris
Jun 09, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it
Very good m/m paranormal romantic suspense about a private investigator who has a zombie dog and a jealous ghostly boyfriend to deal with as he works cases involving a possession and a supernatural serial killer.
Jenn
Private Detective Duncan Andrews has a complicated life. He has a ghost for a boyfriend, a witch best friend, a lovable and hungry zombie dog, and he solves unusual crimes on top of that. In this first installment, Duncan has been hired for two separate cases, a blue female ghost haunting a family and finding a missing, rebellious girl. Along the way, he meets Nick, a man that just may convince Duncan to move on from his dead boyfriend and start dating someone human.

OH…OH…OH…how I heart this spe
Ann
Well, that was fun.

Duncan Andrews is a private detective who has a zombie dog named Daisy, a best friend Gina, the witch and a boyfriend Robbie, who died 10 years ago but is still around. Duncan also has a bit of the sixth sense that helps in his business and his life is far from normal. This odd life though has become his normal and the humor and snark he uses as he takes all the strange things that happen to him in stride are hilarious.

Duncan ends up meeting a perfectly nice guy, Nick. But, ho
Heather C
This was a very enjoyable light read for me. The characters were sweet. I really liked Duncan and Robbie. Poor Robbie. He was such a sweetheart. And who wouldn't love to have zombie bulldog who needs to chomp the heads off of squirrels everyday to stay "alive". Gotta love Daisy...so protective of Duncan. I enjoyed the mystery and trying to figure out what "the man" really was even though it was pretty obvious.

There were a few inconsistencies in the plot the bothered me on occasion but it was st
Ami
Apr 24, 2011 Ami rated it really liked it
Diane Adams
Apr 16, 2011 Diane Adams rated it it was amazing
Writing reviews isn't something I do very well, and so I'll tell you what I thought. Pale as a Ghost is an excellent read. I recommended it to anyone who likes a solid paranormal mystery with a little romance mixed in for good measure. I loved the humor laced through out the story as well as the bitter-sweet romance with the ghost boyfriend. It's a fun satisfying read which I enjoyed very much.
Jeff Erno
Wow, what a fantastic story! I absolutely love this book and can't say enough great things about it. The story - fast-paced, interesting, and at times utterly hilarious - sucked me right in and all I could do was keep turning pages. Most impressive is the portrayal of memorable secondary characters including ghosts, witches, ghouls, strippers, zombie dogs, and ordinary humans.

Duncan, the main character, is a paranormal private eye. He has a dead boyfriend (ghost) and a witch for a best friend.
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
It was very different than I expected. I always sort of expect romance but this was more of a fun private detective/criminal type novel. Not a mystery completely but close. I really enjoyed it although the ghost of a boyfriend seemed a bit too sweet..maybe a little syrupy for me. I tend to like things rough not sweet.

The main character was awesome. Just such a down to earth and funny guy..the kind you can picture as a best friend or buddy no problem. And the Zombie dog and the witch best friend
Chris, the Dalek King
I quite enjoyed this. I thought it was going to be a bit more grim than it was, but for all the slicing and dicing it was a rather light read. Liked that Duncan didn't suddenly go off on a goose chase over the killer, even if that part of the story didn't eventually tie into him. Seemed more real that way. And for all that I would have liked for Robbie to let Duncan and Nick get it on, I like the dynamic between Duncan and Robbie, and maybe we will be lucky to maybe get Nick/Duncan/Robbie in ...more
Mollien Fote Osterman
Blurb:

A Duncan Andrews Thriller

Holly
Nov 25, 2012 Holly rated it really liked it

Pale as a Ghost is a solid 4 star read. Very likable main characters and many things that I enjoy - paranormal/urban fantasy, a mystery, a serial killer, a dog and an actual *plot*.

The relationship between the two main characters is sweet, if unconventional (one is a ghost and they can't really touch, let alone have sex) but there is great love between them. It really is very poignant. And the plot keeps the book moving forward at a quick pace. Lots of action and adventure. The secondary charac
Susan
Jun 19, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-read, z-2012
This was a great read. It had humour, paranormal elements and (a little bit of) romance. I loved Duncan's sense of humour which he definitely needed to put up with everything that was going on in his life. His relationship with Robbie was a little bittersweet and I really want to see what happens with Nick in the second book. It made a nice change to have a strong, positive female character in Gina but probably the star of the whole book for me was Daisy, Duncan's zombie dog!
Aug 09, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one! I was very glad to see Robbie will be making an appearance again, he was my favorite character. Don't get me wrong, the story had a number of great characters but for some reason I could just sympathize with Robbie. Can't wait for the next installment on their story.
Kathleen
Aug 05, 2016 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Solid beginning to the series. A little slow as new characters are introduced, but I liked them so much I decided to continue on to the second book. Recommended.
Preethi
Nov 08, 2015 Preethi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ghosts, zombies, m-m
Once in a while, I come across books that none of my friends have read. And some of those books make me want to read them for no apparent reason. This was one such book. I have no idea what drew me in to this book, but boy, I'm really glad I decided to read this. I enjoyed this book so much!

I have to admit: this book is by no means perfect. But I have to appreciate Stephen Osborne's writing style. Something about his writing made me overlook all the flaws and enjoy this book so much!

Duncan Andr
Lexi Ander
Jul 01, 2012 Lexi Ander rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm-fantasy, favorites
I don't think I have ever read a book that had a ghost for a love interest. The difficulties of such a relationship were well depicted and as it turned out I liked Robbie. That he and Duncan were in love wasn't a question, it was just hard without the physical contact. I found myself rooting for them to find a way for it to work around it. I was hoping that Gina would zap him or something but that would have been too easy.

There is a surprising amount of activity in the plot. Never a dull moment
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
Had some really funny moments

I liked Duncan but he had a few annoying TSTL moments

The whole Nick, Robbie, and Duncan sex idea really wasn't appealing to me so not sure if I will read the next one since the whole set up for it just wasn’t my thing
Gwen
Oct 31, 2014 Gwen rated it it was amazing
Oh my a Ghost Boyfriend. I love the concept and the plot was well written. i really enjoyed the book.
Marissa
Very enjoyable. Almost no "romance" but plenty of delicious potential to come in the future.
Valérie
Aug 30, 2015 Valérie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-books
Même si j’adore lire de la bonne romance épicée en MM, je reconnais que depuis un certain j’ai pris goût à ces histoires mi-fantastiques mi-policières, avec des héros atypiques, sans aucune scène de sexe ou alors très soft. Après l’excellent « les infectés » d’Andrea Speed que j’ai fini par lire en VO, ce récit de Stephen Osborne me conforte complètement dans mes choix.

Le premier élément qui m’a plu c’est la relation entre Duncan et Robbie, c’est un vrai régal de voir leurs interactions, c’est
LiveYourLife BuyTheBook
Oct 05, 2013 LiveYourLife BuyTheBook rated it really liked it
4 Stars
A "Live Your Life, Buy The Book" Review

I’m very glad I came across this series. I’ll admit I’m not usually a fan of human and ghost romances but this one was awesome. This story was a murder mystery with a nod to jack the ripper and all his bloody horror. The book is set in a modern day world where the supernatural live among humans. Who, for the most part, have no clue they’re there. Private Detective Duncan Andrews can see them or is open to the possibilities of them. He can sense when
Kristen Burns
3.5 Stars

Full Review:
*I received a free ecopy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.*

I thought this was overall a solidly good and enjoyable urban fantasy.

First off, the characters were all likeable and people you just want to root for.

Second, I enjoyed the humor. Duncan made a great protagonist/POV character because of his snarky/sarcastic thoughts and remarks.

The plot was also well done—it flowed, it made sense, and the detective stuff and paranormal aspects made it
Lena Polskaia
Encore un petit bijou de polar fantastique ! Décidément, cela devient mon genre de prédilection dans le MM on dirait, puisque la quasi totalité de mes coups de cœur de cette année 2015 en sont. Voilà donc Duncan, un détective privé un peu désabusé qui a le don de voir ou sentir le paranormal, ce qui l'aide dans ses enquêtes. Mais pas forcément dans ses rapports avec la police. On pourrait croire que Duncan est un solitaire, comme beaucoup de ses congénères. Et bien pas du tout. Duncan a une vie ...more
Tara
Originally read 7-8-2012 thru 7-10-2012
I'm a fan. And seriously, what isn't to love about this book. Stephen Osborne gives us a detective- Duncan Andrews-that is so awesome I can't decide where to start. I'm a big Harry Dresdan fan and a huge Joss Whedon fan and if this book is any indication this series will soon join it.

Duncan's boyfriend is a ghost, his best friend is a witch and his dog is a zombie. What's not to love? Except Duncan himself seems to have a pretty passive psychic ability to
Kara
Jan 12, 2016 Kara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, paranormal
So Duncan is a private detective who just happens to be able to see ghosts like his boyfriend Robbie who died 10 years ago. He has a friend Gloria who is a witch and a zombie dog named Daisy.
Well he gets called on a case to find a missing girl whose mother wants found. At the same time he is also called on a different case where a ghost is terrorizing a family.
Let me just say the action in this book had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. I really loved Duncan's character who was so stro
L.E.
Sep 27, 2015 L.E. rated it really liked it
This was certainly different. I thought that I wouldn't like it because of the lack of physical intimacy between Duncan and Robbie (understandably), but I think it wouldn't have been as interesting and their connection so much more deeper if there was sex. Just... wow... I love Robbie! I was really sad when I thought he was gone, but that ending killed me in a good way.

Two things, though:
1. There were too many things going on. The shift on character pov and the multiple cases that Duncan had go
Paul Wright
Oct 22, 2013 Paul Wright rated it really liked it
Shelves: bought_it
To simply say this was not your everyday M/M romance would be a terrible understatement, BUT it was a hell of a ride through some crazy sh*t with Duncan! It'll be a long time before Duncan, Robbie, Gina and the assembled cast of crazies leave my thoughts. I'll be looking for more from this author because I like the style and pacing of the writing and really like the characters that spring to life (or after-life in some cases) from his wonderful mind. If off-beat supernatural with a M/M element ...more
JR
Jun 12, 2015 JR rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those looking for a great time
The world is never a dull place for PI Duncan Andrews. He has a dog that's a zombie, a witch for a best friend and his dead boyfriend ghost lives with him. Add to this a mix, cases that involve other worldly creatures and you have a day in Duncan's life.

This was so much fun. As a kid, I always hoped I would have special abilities like Duncan. Alas, that was not to be, but I can enjoy Duncan's. All the characters are fleshed out, but since this is a series, I expect there will be even more deta
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • He Speaks Dead
  • A Weapon Of Opportunity
  • The Ghost on My Couch
  • Liquid Glass
  • The Hanged Man's Ghost (The Night Wars, #1)
  • Rhapsody for Piano and Ghost
  • Dead Man and the Restless Spirits (Dead Man, #1)
  • His Soul to Take
  • Unspeakable Words (The Sixth Sense #1)
  • A Reason To Believe
  • Spook Squad (PsyCop #7)
  • Spirit
  • No Rest for the Wicked (Adam & Peter, #2)
  • Windows in Time
  • Duck Duck Ghost (Hellsinger, #2)
  • Hainted
  • A Ghost of a Chance
  • Urban Shaman

Duncan Andrews Thrillers (5 books)
  • Animal Instinct (Duncan Andrews Thrillers, #2)
  • The Scarlet Tide (Duncan Andrews Thrillers, #3)
  • Dead End (Duncan Andrews Thrillers, #4)
  • Under a Blood-Red Moon (Duncan Andrews Thrillers, #5)

“It’s just that… I’m wanting to start dating myself.” I saw Gina’s eyes bug out. “I don’t mean dating myself. I’ve been doing that for ten years now. It’s gotten to the point where I buy my left hand chocolates on Valentine’s Day.” 5 likes
“My hand found its way back to her knee. I hoped it was to comfort her. I’d hate to think that my right hand was straight. “Soon. I’ll call her this afternoon and get back to you.”

She nodded. I removed my right hand, thankful that I was left-handed. I’d hate to have to try masturbating with a straight hand. It probably wouldn’t cooperate. And then where would I be?”
3 likes