Start by marking “White Lies (Arcane Society, #2)” as Want to Read:
White Lies (Arcane Society, #2)

White Lies (The Arcane Society #2)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  5,625 ratings  ·  257 reviews
Think you can’t get a decent date? Imagine how depressing things are when you know for sure that the guy is lying when he says he’ll call…

Clare Lancaster is a Level Ten para-sensitive – and a “human lie detector”. She is also a member of the modern day Arcane Society. Over the years she has come to accept that someone with her extraordinary talent is doomed to have relati
Trade Paperback, 371 pages
Published 2007 by Piatkus Books

To ask other readers questions about White Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about White Lies

Sheree
Feb 25, 2009 Sheree rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sheree by: Lara
There were a number of things I really enjoyed about this book.
This story had a strong suspenseful plot & being uncertain of the killer until 3/4 of the way through the novel was quite refreshing. I also thoroughly enjoyed the steamy romantic sub-plot.

LibraryLass
Another great book by this author. Although IMO it wasn't the best in the series it is still a great read. And as I have seen said about other authors "a less than stellar book by JAK is much better than some authors best efforts."

Re-read Feb 08, July 09, June 11
Lisa P
I can always count on Jayne Ann Krentz for a fun, quick read, and this book was no exception. Her stuff is always so well written. This one was basically a murder mystery with the paranormal element thrown in for a little twist. The story is about the Arcane Society (members all have psychic powers of some sort, leveled 1-10, depending on their strength and abilities). There is a murder being investigated by Jake (level 10 psychic hunter), which could have dire consequences for the Arcane Societ ...more
Debbie
Don't be fooled by the author's name. This is the second book in the Arcane Society series. Apparently Jayne Ann Krentz uses her real name for novels set in the present, the pseudonym 'Amanda Quick' for novels set in the past and the pseudonym 'Jayne Castle' for novels set in the future. Why? I have no idea! It certainly makes it confusing when she writes a series set in both the present and the past.

White Lies is set in modern day Arizona and features Jake Salter, level 10 parasensitive hunter
~Leslie~
This is a re-reading of this book and it's the second in the Arcane Series. I love JAK and I really enjoyed this story and I love how she is mixing historical fiction and contemporary fiction in one series about the Arcane Society, a parapsychological organization made up of individuals who have extra- sensory abilities. This story is about Jake Salter who is sent by a detective agency associated with The Arcane Society to investigate a plot concerning the Founders Formula. He meets Clare Lancas ...more
Dee
Review of the Book - the book was ok, it was nothing to write home about. A typical contemporary with an uber ALPHA male, aka, a Hunter...and the wronged woman...ugh...I kinda figured out about half-way through who the bad guy/girl was. I'm def. going to say that i'm more a fan of JAK's historicals under the Amanda Quick name and not so much her contemporaries. That being said, I did like the first book in the series, and with this being the second, i'm going to give the third a chance (also und ...more
Dianne
Clare Lancaster lives in San Francisco, never knowing who her father was, being raised by her mother and her great-aunt. Her psychic ability is detecting lies, a gift thought by the Arcane society to eventually cause the person to become unstable, often needing to be institutionalized. She has received an email from her half-sister in Arizona, who needs help. Turns out they share the same father, a psychic who Clare has known and often referred to as Dumbass!

Jake Salter is an undercover agent fo
Meredith
Basic Premise: Murder, intrigue, illegitimate children, and psychic powers.

How could you go wrong?

Krentz is a very formulaic writer. Her men are all very alpha, very protective, and the kind of guys you could refer to using the phrase "still waters run deep". In this case, Jake is a psychic "hunter", a throwback to a time when men still needed that fight or flight instinct every moment of every day. Clare, on the other hand, is a human lie detector, and I thought that was very cool.

Actually, Kr
Zoe
It's possiible this book isn't bad. The mystery was decent, and I appreciate that paranormal elements being just a small amount (as opposed to taking over the whole book). However, I listened to the audio version, and it was so badly read (by 2 people no less) that it left me unable to judge the book on it's own. It's tough when a man and a woman both do the reading, because they made the choice to do all dialogue by a man in the man's voice - but if it was from a scene in the woman's point of v ...more
Lauren
White Lies by Jayne Ann Krentz
Book #2 in The Arcane Society
3 Stars

Synopsis:
Clare Lancaster is the illegitimate daughter of a wealthy member of the Arcane Society. She also just happens to be a human lie detector. Jake Salter is a psychic hunter sent by the Society to discover who is searching for the formula that enhances psychic abilities. The two connect immediately and become embroiled in a complex case of greed, murder and revenge.

Review:
The banter between the main characters and the feisty
Lara
This is one of my favorite Krentz/Arcane novels. And I especially enjoy the audiobook version. The heroine, Clare, is a spitfire who has a strong will but is not domineering. She is regularly put in difficult situations and always impresses. Jake is a great alpha male who also enjoys a challenge and has a wonderful sense of humor. The dialog is snappy and sharp, and the action doesn't leave you lagging.

The narration is great with a woman narrating the women's voices and the chapters written fro
Cindy
Contemporary paranormal with protected sex. The 2nd in the Arcane series, but this one is a contemporary rather than a Victorian.

Good story, kept me guessing. I liked Jake & Clare. It seems inevitable the leader of the West coast branch of Jones & Jones will get his own story.
Sandra
Second in the Arcane series, this one set in contemporary times.

Clare Lancaster, a level 10* lie detector talent, illegitimate daughter of Archer Glazebrook is our h. Jake Salter (Jones) is in Stoney Canyon on a secret J&J investigation, when Clare arrives on a visit to Archer and throws all his plans into disarray.

Jake is a level 10* Hunter and is trying to find the person connected to the disappearance & murder of various Lab technicians and the possible new Cabal promoting the Founder
Carrie
This was a good book. The second in this series, it was better than the first. I'm looking forward to finishing them all.

This was the story of Jake and Clare. Jake was called in to investigate the possible conspiricy against the Arcane Society and the plot to obtain the secret formula. The investigation centers in Stone Gap Nevada and the Glazebrook family. Clare is the illegitimate daughter of Archer Glazebrook. Jake and Clare are both level 10* on the Jones Scale and find that there combined
Diane ~Firefly~
JAK is my favorite author so I'm always happy to re-read.

What I enjoyed:
* Clare. She was very independent and willing to go after what she wanted. And her philosophy on lying was pretty interesting, and necessary to her survival.
* Jake. He was a good match for Clare. Alpha, but willing to listen to her ideas.
* (view spoiler)

What could have been better:
Christina T
White Lies is part of Jayne Ann Krentz's Arcane Society books. I had read book a while back that mentioned the Arcane Society (not part of the series but mentioned the Society) it didn't go into details so I ended up confused as to what The Arcane Society was and why it was even really mentioned. This book is technically the second in the series (the first is actually a historical written under her pen name Amanda Quick) but it explained the Arcane Society so I am not confused anymore.

I have a f
Sheila Melo
Romantic Suspense with a Paranormal Twist

WHITE LIES is the second book in the Arcane series. It is a contemporary romantic suspense book. Clare Landcaster is a high level parasensitive who is a human lie detector. Because of her abilities, she has a difficult time trusting people. She has come to Arizona to meet with her father and half siblings. At her father's home, she meets Jake Salter an Arcane business consultant, who she can tell has secrets. The two hit it off (reluctantly on Clare's par
Jackie
White Lies by Jayne Ann Krentz is an Arcane Society novel set in contemporary times. The Jones & Jones Agency founded in Perfect Poison is still in business although knowledge of its existence and mandate is mostly limited to members of the Arcane Society. Clare Lancaster knows and wants to work for J&J, but Fallon Jones hesitates to hire her, thinking that a level 10 human lie detector is a ticking time bomb. Clare’s gift comes in useful when she sees wedding photos of her well-publiciz ...more
Colleen
I really enjoyed this book. The chemistry between Clare and Jake is just incredible. Who would have thought that a human lie detector and a hunter could become friends. The romance was great, it was not too over the top.

I love the story lines in the Arcane Society series. My hope is that after a few more books Jayne Ann Krentz will get all the characters together for one great big caper. I would love to see how and if they can all work together for the greater good.
Carrie
Fun. light. JAK doesn't allow the tensions to build much, which is fine for beach reading or a rainy afternoon. This book likely won't keep you up nights with suspense. There were a few sappy or awkward scenes, but overall I enjoyed the main characters. I figured out the mystery early one, but that didn't bother me. I still liked seeing how the author wrapped it all up. I'm planning to continue the series.
Jane (PS)
Loved this book. I read this after Sizzle and Burn but the order didn't seem to matter. I'm now going to have to continue this series - probably as keepers rather than through the library - I can see I'll want to re-read these stories...
Julie
Jayne Ann Krentz ( and Amanda Quick etc) is always enjoyable. A great mystery, hot romance and The Arcane Society. Good stuff!
Kris
4 STARS

"Petite, thirtysomething Clare Lancaster is a Level Ten para-sensitive-and a "human lie detector." Over the years, she's come to accept that someone with her extraordinary talents is likely to have trouble in the relationship department. And she's even resigned herself to the fact that everyone, to one degree or another, hides behind a façade. . . .

And now it seems that meeting the half sister and family whom she never knew until seven months ago was a mistake. Her father summons her fro
Vanessa
This is my least favorite book in the Arcane Society series thus far. The plot and romance were weaker than in other books in the series, and the dialog was even more predictable than is normal for this author. I have to make this disclaimer, however. I listened to the audio, and I would not recommend it. They used both a male and a female reader, and while the male reader, David Colacci was good, the female reader, Kathy Garver was not. Her reading was flat and sounded contrived and forced. I w ...more
Stefanie
Mar 02, 2010 Stefanie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stefanie by: I try to read all books by Jayne Ann Krentz
I listened to the audiobook of White Lies in one day. I listened to the book almost to the end before I realized I read the book already a little less than two years ago. I only made this realization after I saw that I had already added it to my GoodReads library. If I didn't have GoodReads to help me keep track of the books I've read, I probably would have kept on thinking this was my first encounter with the book. I guess White Lies just wasn't too memorable. I gave it 3 stars out of 5 the fir ...more
Kelly Smith
The ability for a person to be able to tell if someone is lying really fascinates me. (I am a "lie to me" t.v. fan.) Clare Lancaster is a level 10 parasensitive who's psychic ability is to read lies. Jake Salter is a level 10 hunter, freelancing for Jones & Jones an investigative agency in the Arcane Society, who's purpose is to protect the formula that can create a super psychic. It was interesting to see a relationship develop between them.
Claire's ability to tell truth from deception is
Maxine
"White Lies" is part of the author's series concerning the Arcane Society--a secret society whose members all have paranormal talents of varied types, and who work to solve crimes.

Clare has the ability to tell when someone's lying. Not always a pleasant talent to have, but useful. She's come to Arizona at the behest of her recently discovered father. Unknown to Clare all her life is that her father is the wealthy and powerful businessman, Archer Glazebrook. She also discovered that she has a ha
Jane Stewart
I enjoyed it, but it was easy to put down when I needed to do other things.

I chuckled a couple of times at witty comments. It felt more like a mystery story than a romance novel, but there was a developing romance. I disagree with other reviewers who describe this as having explicit sex scenes or being "hot." So far I have read five Krentz books, and I would describe the sexual language in one of them as moderate and the rest of them as mild, not hot.

Story brief: The Arcane Society is an organiz
Gina
A thin line between lies and truths.

Clare Lancaster is a level-ten parasensitive. She’s a human lie detector. She can detect the smallest whiff of a lie, even if wrapped in the truth. She’d saved her new-found sister from her now dead husband, knowing that he was doing Elizabeth harm - she wasn’t having a nervous breakdown, but he was doing everything in his power to make it appear so. She’d returned to save her sister, only to come upon his dead body.

Now she’s back at the request of her new-fou
Hilly
White Lies (Arcane Society Series #2)
written by Jayne Ann Krentz,
dual-narration by Kathy Garver and David Colacci.

Kathy Garver is awful right out of the gate. She crushes her vowels and gives such a flat performance that you'd imagine that this book is a reading assignment from her elocution class!! Clearly, she very much needs lessons to help her to overcome a dreadful speaking voice, but I just wish that I needn't listen to her until she has passed that class!!

I find nothing objectionable i
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: White Lies (2007) Arcane 2 1 3 Sep 27, 2012 10:44AM
  • The Third Circle (Arcane Society, #4)
  • Dark Light (Harmony #5)

She earned a B.A. in History from the University of California at Sant
More about Jayne Ann Krentz...
Running Hot (Arcane Society, # 5) Fired Up (Arcane Society, #7) (Dreamlight Trilogy, #1) All Night Long Sizzle and Burn (Arcane Society, # 3) Smoke in Mirrors