Start by marking “White Lies (Arcane Society, #2)” as Want to Read:
White Lies (Arcane Society, #2)

White Lies (The Arcane Society #2)

3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  7,348 Ratings  ·  345 Reviews
Think you can’t get a decent date? Imagine how depressing things are when you know for sure that the guy is lying when he says he’ll call…

Clare Lancaster is a Level Ten para-sensitive – and a “human lie detector”. She is also a member of the modern day Arcane Society. Over the years she has come to accept that someone with her extraordinary talent is doomed to have relati
Trade Paperback, 371 pages
Published 2007 by Piatkus Books

To ask other readers questions about White Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about White Lies

Lakshmi C
Aug 10, 2014 Lakshmi C rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Murder, Mystery, Mayhem and Romance

This was a captivating read with all the necessary elements for a happy, satisfied reader. ( This was a re-read)

Clare Lancaster was feisty, stubborn and independent. The book opens with Clare meeting her half sister, Elizabeth for the first time. Elizabeth is convinced that her husband plans to kill her but nobody believes Elizabeth. Except Clare.

Some months later Clare is back in Arizona and stuck with Elizabeth's family and her father, Archer. Clare is at the
Lizzy
So you know I am a fan of the Arcane Society series, despite my initial reluctance to start it and the lateness in posting my reviews. Now I am in the processing of revisiting it all, and I am really enjoying reading it once more and going back and forth in time. I found it gives you a different perspective and added to my overall enjoyment. Whether as Jayne Ann Krentz or Amanda Quick, I love her writing and creative stories!

White Lies, is the kick of the Nightshade plotline set in contemporary
Robin (Bridge Four)
This is a slightly confusing series. I read the first book in the Arcane Society and enjoyed the HR/PNR aspect of it then I was eager to read the second book in the series and I didn’t look at the synopsis or anything just picked it up and thought that maybe it would be about one of the siblings from the first book. Imagine my confusion when it wasn’t about a sibling from Second Sight or anyone from Second sight because it is set in present day.

I then thought that I had purchased the wrong book
Sheree
Jan 28, 2009 Sheree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sheree by: Lara
There were a number of things I really enjoyed about this book.
This story had a strong suspenseful plot & being uncertain of the killer until 3/4 of the way through the novel was quite refreshing. I also thoroughly enjoyed the steamy romantic sub-plot.

Clare Lancaster is a level 10 parasensitive who's psychic ability is to read lies. Jake Salter is a level 10 hunter, freelancing for Jones & Jones an investigative agency in the Arcane Society, who's purpose is to protect the formula that
Lyndi
Mar 28, 2015 Lyndi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
4.5 stars I really like this author because I never know who the villain is until The Big Reveal. Unfortunately, that means I have a hard time putting it down. I sit down with a book when the baby goes to sleep and the next thing I know, I've finished the book and see that it's almost five in the morning. I need eye drops, my eyes are scratchy. It was worth it.

I liked our main characters, Clare and Jake. They were both alphas and I always enjoy that pairing when the woman isn't a bitch and the m
~Leslie~
Jun 09, 2011 ~Leslie~ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paper-copy, re-read
This is a re-reading of this book and it's the second in the Arcane Series. I love JAK and I really enjoyed this story and I love how she is mixing historical fiction and contemporary fiction in one series about the Arcane Society, a parapsychological organization made up of individuals who have extra- sensory abilities. This story is about Jake Salter who is sent by a detective agency associated with The Arcane Society to investigate a plot concerning the Founders Formula. He meets Clare Lancas ...more
Diane ~Firefly~
JAK is my favorite author so I'm always happy to re-read.

What I enjoyed:
* Clare. She was very independent and willing to go after what she wanted. And her philosophy on lying was pretty interesting, and necessary to her survival.
* Jake. He was a good match for Clare. Alpha, but willing to listen to her ideas.
* Clare's family was supportive. It was nice to see her dad doing his best to be a good father since he hadn't known about her very long.
* (view spoiler)
LibraryLass
Feb 06, 2008 LibraryLass rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book by this author. Although IMO it wasn't the best in the series it is still a great read. And as I have seen said about other authors "a less than stellar book by JAK is much better than some authors best efforts."

Re-read Feb 08, July 09, June 11
Debbie
Oct 16, 2010 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brain-candy
Don't be fooled by the author's name. This is the second book in the Arcane Society series. Apparently Jayne Ann Krentz uses her real name for novels set in the present, the pseudonym 'Amanda Quick' for novels set in the past and the pseudonym 'Jayne Castle' for novels set in the future. Why? I have no idea! It certainly makes it confusing when she writes a series set in both the present and the past.

White Lies is set in modern day Arizona and features Jake Salter, level 10 parasensitive hunter
Meredith
Basic Premise: Murder, intrigue, illegitimate children, and psychic powers.

How could you go wrong?

Krentz is a very formulaic writer. Her men are all very alpha, very protective, and the kind of guys you could refer to using the phrase "still waters run deep". In this case, Jake is a psychic "hunter", a throwback to a time when men still needed that fight or flight instinct every moment of every day. Clare, on the other hand, is a human lie detector, and I thought that was very cool.

Actually, Kr
Dee
Review of the Book - the book was ok, it was nothing to write home about. A typical contemporary with an uber ALPHA male, aka, a Hunter...and the wronged woman...ugh...I kinda figured out about half-way through who the bad guy/girl was. I'm def. going to say that i'm more a fan of JAK's historicals under the Amanda Quick name and not so much her contemporaries. That being said, I did like the first book in the series, and with this being the second, i'm going to give the third a chance (also und ...more
Cheesecake
Clare the human lie detector and Jake the secretive liar.
Gotta say, I loved the MCs! The story though, kinda fizzles towards the end. At one point the author even has a bunch of the characters sitting around a room blah blah blahing about the the villains like an end scene from an Agatha Christie novel. Christie did it better though.
The Arcane society is on the hunt for the perpetrators of a new Cabal. All is going well, until Clare shows up and unknowingly throws a spanner into the works. She
Lisa P
May 31, 2014 Lisa P rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can always count on Jayne Ann Krentz for a fun, quick read, and this book was no exception. Her stuff is always so well written. This one was basically a murder mystery with the paranormal element thrown in for a little twist. The story is about the Arcane Society (members all have psychic powers of some sort, leveled 1-10, depending on their strength and abilities). There is a murder being investigated by Jake (level 10 psychic hunter), which could have dire consequences for the Arcane Societ ...more
Sandra
Aug 20, 2009 Sandra rated it really liked it
Second in the Arcane series, this one set in contemporary times.

Clare Lancaster, a level 10* lie detector talent, illegitimate daughter of Archer Glazebrook is our h. Jake Salter (Jones) is in Stoney Canyon on a secret J&J investigation, when Clare arrives on a visit to Archer and throws all his plans into disarray.

Jake is a level 10* Hunter and is trying to find the person connected to the disappearance & murder of various Lab technicians and the possible new Cabal promoting the Founder
Freda Malone
Jun 05, 2015 Freda Malone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the blurb says it all, I will say only that I enjoyed this novel. I like the subtlety of the paranormals in the 'Arcane Society' series and the characters. Normal, except for their gifts. Even though this is a series, the stories are in different times and different characters as well as places. I'm starting to like these books by Jayne Ann Krentz. A bit of everything, romance, mystery, paranormal and suspense, but not too intense. Easy reading and a good mystery!
Jane (PS)
Feb 01, 2010 Jane (PS) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. I read this after Sizzle and Burn but the order didn't seem to matter. I'm now going to have to continue this series - probably as keepers rather than through the library - I can see I'll want to re-read these stories...
Anita
The one thing that stood out the most to me in this book was how much I loved the partnership and subsequent relationship between Jake and Clare.  The two of them work very well together as an investigating team, and while their chemistry isn't exactly off-the-charts hot or anything, they DO present a rather obvious "meant to be" aura about them--I don't know if that has to do with the deliberate engineering by the author to create a couple destined to be perfect for each other or what?  Whateve ...more
Sheila Melo
Aug 01, 2014 Sheila Melo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Romantic Suspense with a Paranormal Twist

WHITE LIES is the second book in the Arcane series. It is a contemporary romantic suspense book. Clare Landcaster is a high level parasensitive who is a human lie detector. Because of her abilities, she has a difficult time trusting people. She has come to Arizona to meet with her father and half siblings. At her father's home, she meets Jake Salter an Arcane business consultant, who she can tell has secrets. The two hit it off (reluctantly on Clare's par
Dianne
Clare Lancaster lives in San Francisco, never knowing who her father was, being raised by her mother and her great-aunt. Her psychic ability is detecting lies, a gift thought by the Arcane society to eventually cause the person to become unstable, often needing to be institutionalized. She has received an email from her half-sister in Arizona, who needs help. Turns out they share the same father, a psychic who Clare has known and often referred to as Dumbass!

Jake Salter is an undercover agent fo
Elena
Interesting "beach read". The mystery was amusing enough. What i didn't like thought was the interaction and the non-existant chemistry between the two main characters. It was constantly said that they were "burning up the sheets" but:
A) i just didn't really see it, and
B) out of bed they had no chemistry - they were so boring together and acted like an old married bickering couple!

Also, it got a little old how many times he said that she shouldn't touch him because "everything will be over too
Heather
Jul 20, 2012 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While I am a huge fan of Jayne Ann Krentz, this book just wasn't memorable. The plot was very predictable. I didn't feel any connection with the characters.

This book lost 2 stars for the story itself. The relationship between characters was a bit difficult to believe. For example, Claire never met her father until she was 31. Now at 32, he's intimidating her boyfriends to be a protective dad? That just seems a bit over the top. The way they solved all kinds of plots was difficult too. And the p
Zoe
It's possiible this book isn't bad. The mystery was decent, and I appreciate that paranormal elements being just a small amount (as opposed to taking over the whole book). However, I listened to the audio version, and it was so badly read (by 2 people no less) that it left me unable to judge the book on it's own. It's tough when a man and a woman both do the reading, because they made the choice to do all dialogue by a man in the man's voice - but if it was from a scene in the woman's point of v ...more
Kari Chapman
This book skips up quite a bit in time from the previous book, bringing us to the modern world. This book is also much better than the previous book. I'd recommend starting here, and if you're still interested after reading this book, going back and reading book 1. It does provide some background to the world, but readers ought to be able to follow this book fairly easily without the background of book one.

I liked both main characters in this book. They were entertaining and the connection betwe
Lauren
White Lies by Jayne Ann Krentz
Book #2 in The Arcane Society
3 Stars

Synopsis:
Clare Lancaster is the illegitimate daughter of a wealthy member of the Arcane Society. She also just happens to be a human lie detector. Jake Salter is a psychic hunter sent by the Society to discover who is searching for the formula that enhances psychic abilities. The two connect immediately and become embroiled in a complex case of greed, murder and revenge.

Review:
The banter between the main characters and the feisty
Lara
Oct 13, 2011 Lara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-in-2012
This is one of my favorite Krentz/Arcane novels. And I especially enjoy the audiobook version. The heroine, Clare, is a spitfire who has a strong will but is not domineering. She is regularly put in difficult situations and always impresses. Jake is a great alpha male who also enjoys a challenge and has a wonderful sense of humor. The dialog is snappy and sharp, and the action doesn't leave you lagging.

The narration is great with a woman narrating the women's voices and the chapters written fro
Barbara
My friends won't believe I'm saying this but...this one should have been drawn out a whole lot more (it was missing a bunch of details that should have been expressed; such as...What "Hunter" powers did Jake really have? I kept wondering if I'd skipped an entire chapter somewhere). The beginning started out slow, and at times the conversations were a bit choppy... the flow didn't flow very well - Ha! But all in all this was a simple read with a dash of romance and mystery; the kind of book that ...more
Carrie
Jul 16, 2009 Carrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book. The second in this series, it was better than the first. I'm looking forward to finishing them all.

This was the story of Jake and Clare. Jake was called in to investigate the possible conspiricy against the Arcane Society and the plot to obtain the secret formula. The investigation centers in Stone Gap Nevada and the Glazebrook family. Clare is the illegitimate daughter of Archer Glazebrook. Jake and Clare are both level 10* on the Jones Scale and find that there combined
Colleen
Apr 17, 2009 Colleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. The chemistry between Clare and Jake is just incredible. Who would have thought that a human lie detector and a hunter could become friends. The romance was great, it was not too over the top.

I love the story lines in the Arcane Society series. My hope is that after a few more books Jayne Ann Krentz will get all the characters together for one great big caper. I would love to see how and if they can all work together for the greater good.
Carrie
Fun. light. JAK doesn't allow the tensions to build much, which is fine for beach reading or a rainy afternoon. This book likely won't keep you up nights with suspense. There were a few sappy or awkward scenes, but overall I enjoyed the main characters. I figured out the mystery early one, but that didn't bother me. I still liked seeing how the author wrapped it all up. I'm planning to continue the series.
Chris
Jun 10, 2015 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While this was not a historical romance as the first in the series was, it was still a very enjoyable read. I enjoyed the various mysteries woven into the story, along with the romance. I have the vague feeling that somewhere along the line I have read another in this series, but I guess I will have to keep reading the series to find it again.

A well written mystery/paranormal/romance book. Would recommend to friends if they enjoy this sort of thing.
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: White Lies (2007) Arcane 2 1 4 Sep 27, 2012 10:44AM
  • The Perfect Poison (Arcane Society, #6)
  • Ghost Hunter (Ghost Hunters, #3)
The author of over 50 consecutive New York Times bestsellers, JAYNE ANN KRENTZ writes romantic-suspense in three different worlds: Contemporary (as Jayne Ann Krentz), historical (as Amanda Quick) and futuristic (as Jayne Castle). There are over 30 million copies of her books in print.

She earned a B.A. in History from the University of California at Santa Cruz and went on to obtain a Masters degre
More about Jayne Ann Krentz...

The Arcane Society (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Second Sight (Arcane Society, #1)
  • Sizzle and Burn (Arcane Society, #3)
  • The Third Circle (Arcane Society, #4)
  • Running Hot (Arcane Society, #5)
  • The Perfect Poison (Arcane Society, #6)
  • Fired Up (Arcane Society, #7; Dreamlight Trilogy, #1)
  • Burning Lamp (Arcane Society, #8; Dreamlight Trilogy, #2)
  • Midnight Crystal (Ghost Hunters, #7; Arcane Society #9; Dreamlight Trilogy #3)
  • In Too Deep (Arcane Society, #10; Looking Glass Trilogy, #1)
  • Quicksilver (Arcane Society, #11; Looking Glass Trilogy #2)