Start by marking “Seven Life Lessons of Chaos: Spiritual Wisdom from the Science of Change” as Want to Read:
Seven Life Lessons of Chaos: Spiritual Wisdom from the Science of Change

Seven Life Lessons of Chaos: Spiritual Wisdom from the Science of Change

If you have ever felt your life was out of control and headed toward chaos,science has an important message: Life is chaos, and that's a very exciting thing!

In this eye-opening book, John Briggs and F. David Peat reveal sevenenlightening lessons for embracing the chaos of daily life.

Be Creative:
engage with chaos to find imaginative new solutions and live more dynamically

Us
Published May 26th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Seven Life Lessons of Chaos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Life Lessons of Chaos

Vicky
Jun 14, 2009 Vicky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a very important and interesting book. The chaos theory could be applied to any aspect of our life, psychology, ecology, sociology and mathematics. The ideas of cause and effect, the "butterfly effect", the synchronicity and coincidences, the unpredictability of our actions, the birth of Universe and modern mathematics - they are all part of the chaos theory. When strict rules don't apply, the creativity is the answer. What’s more important - the competition and control or going with the f ...more
❤ Lady black cat ❤
its an informing,interesting book.it seems to me that the first part of the book is more physics and the other half is more philosophy.I would have liked the book more if the philosophy part had taken more place.Although,i couldn't understand what message the book tries to give,the book is mainly about chaos is everywhere.there is always chaos in a part of universe and its necessary.chaos is essential in stability.Also,there is whole information in a piece.I like the part about time.Its sad how ...more
Peter Wood
This was a nice introduction to chaos theory. Though I have heard most of this before, I found this little book inspiring.

The main dictums that I took away from this book were: 1) to pay close attention to what is going on in one's experience and 2) using the perceptions thus acquired, act in accord with what one believes is right. You may not see it, but if you act in this way you will have a positive effect on other people and the world.

In the light of chaos theory, the famous Margaret Mead q
Maggie
Fascinating book. I read it because I had to chase down a quote I saw:

"The mark of a creative person, according to Briggs, is a willingness to accept ambivalence -- that liminal stage between problem and solution -- as a place of both discomfort and possibility."

That quote isn't in the book, but no matter - I quite liked Seven Life Lessons even though I am very much not a "self-help" "wisdom" type reader. It's way more provocative than that.

More on my blog: http://www.magpiemusing.com/2014/01/b.
Michael
May 20, 2007 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: rebels, non-conformists
Shelves: philosophy
This book makes chaos theory easy to understand. It's a theory that explains--why the dynamics of life are always changing, never definite, and why to believe in the human potential. It uses real life examples to show how one small action could have enormous- or even revolutionary consequences. A bit abstract, it can be a little unfocused at times, but I'm now encouraged to be a little more spontaneous and open-minded.
Kasey Tennant
Jan 23, 2013 Kasey Tennant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Brilliantly written introduction to chaos theory.
For those well-versed in chaos theory already, you won't glean too many new insights, but this is nevertheless evocatively written and enjoyable.
For those new to the topic, it is a thorough and insightful intro.

As an artist, I found it extremely inspirational. I really cannot praise this text highly enough!
Ouroboros
...Society is a relatively simple and stable form that emerges out of the complex dreams, desires, and contributions of its members. Likewise, each individual, w/ a freedom of choice, is partially the creation of the society in which she lives.

* * *
I love this book - perfect symphony of the collective and the individual; appeals greatly to the artistic rebel in me
Bridgett
Apr 14, 2009 Bridgett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A general overview of chaos theory that ordinary people can understand and see how it applies to daily life. Goes over fractals and various ways in which the environment and people are self-similar/self-regulating.
Karen
Jul 02, 2009 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Seven Life Lessons of Chaos is one of my all-time favorites. I'm intrigued by chaos theory and find this book the easiest to understand. Great examples and good for corporate reading. Some of my best quotes for my books and workshops have come from this book.
TailFeather
Aug 30, 2012 TailFeather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-re-read
I loved this book. I love the idea of chaos, and have learned to just go with the flow, as it were.
Jeremy
Sep 16, 2007 Jeremy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book offered me a system of thought that ... just completely rules!
Bart
Nov 05, 2016 Bart rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not insightful as other of the author's books, but not bad. The final chapter is its best.
Weegee Sachtjen
Oct 11, 2013 Weegee Sachtjen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting look at the individual's role in creativity, society and how we Can harness Chaos theory to expand our boundaries. A bit heavy on science but worth the read!
Kate
Aug 01, 2011 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best spiritual/philosophical books I have read.
Maurean
Mar 23, 2016 Maurean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
An easy to grasp intro to chaos theory, and how it applies to various areas of your life.
Jensd
Jensd rated it it was ok
Sep 06, 2013
Aimee
Aimee rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2008
Odysseas
Odysseas rated it liked it
Oct 18, 2016
Marjorie
Marjorie rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2013
Ran
Ran rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2009
Jenn
Jenn rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2007
Kent Lester
Kent Lester rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2014
Bryan
Bryan rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2012
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2011
Scotty
Scotty rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2011
Anna Rhea
Anna Rhea rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2013
Eunisse
Eunisse rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2013
Melly
Melly rated it it was ok
Jan 25, 2009
Shannon
Shannon rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Synchronicity 2 Ed: Science, Myth, and the Trickster Second Edition
  • Cosmic Blueprint: New Discoveries In Natures Ability To Order Universe
  • Laws Of Form
  • The Roots of Coincidence
  • On Divination & Synchronicity: The Psychology of Meaningful Chance (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 3)
  • Quantum Warrior: The Future of the Mind
  • Synchronicity: The Bridge Between Matter and Mind
  • Order Out of Chaos: Man's New Dialogue with Nature
  • The Collapse of Chaos: Discovering Simplicity in a Complex World
  • On Creativity
  • Irreducible Mind: Toward a Psychology for the 21st Century
  • What Have You Changed Your Mind About?: Today's Leading Minds Rethink Everything
  • Chaos and Fractals: New Frontiers of Science
  • Emergence: From Chaos To Order
  • A World of Ideas: A Dictionary of Important Theories, Concepts, Beliefs, and Thinkers
  • The American Transcendentalists: Essential Writings
  • Policing the Crisis: Mugging, the State, and Law and Order
  • The Art of Growing Old: Aging with Grace

“Psychiatrist David Shainberg argued that mental illness, which appears chaotic, is actually the reverse. Mental illness occurs when images of the self become rigid and closed, restricting an open creative response to the world.” 4 likes