Start by marking “Seven Life Lessons of Chaos” as Want to Read:
Seven Life Lessons of Chaos

Seven Life Lessons of Chaos

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  13 reviews
If you have ever felt your life was out of control and headed toward chaos,science has an important message: Life is chaos, and that's a very exciting thing!

In this eye-opening book, John Briggs and F. David Peat reveal sevenenlightening lessons for embracing the chaos of daily life.

Be Creative:
engage with chaos to find imaginative new solutions and live more dynamically

Us
Published May 26th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Seven Life Lessons of Chaos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Life Lessons of Chaos

Vicky
It is a very important and interesting book. The chaos theory could be applied to any aspect of our life, psychology, ecology, sociology and mathematics. The ideas of cause and effect, the "butterfly effect", the synchronicity and coincidences, the unpredictability of our actions, the birth of Universe and modern mathematics - they are all part of the chaos theory. When strict rules don't apply, the creativity is the answer. What’s more important - the competition and control or going with the f ...more
❤ Lady black cat ❤
its an informing,interesting book.it seems to me that the first part of the book is more physics and the other half is more philosophy.I would have liked the book more if the philosophy part had taken more place.Although,i couldn't understand what message the book tries to give,the book is mainly about chaos is everywhere.there is always chaos in a part of universe and its necessary.chaos is essential in stability.Also,there is whole information in a piece.I like the part about time.Its sad how ...more
Peter Wood
This was a nice introduction to chaos theory. Though I have heard most of this before, I found this little book inspiring.

The main dictums that I took away from this book were: 1) to pay close attention to what is going on in one's experience and 2) using the perceptions thus acquired, act in accord with what one believes is right. You may not see it, but if you act in this way you will have a positive effect on other people and the world.

In the light of chaos theory, the famous Margaret Mead q
Maggie
Fascinating book. I read it because I had to chase down a quote I saw:

"The mark of a creative person, according to Briggs, is a willingness to accept ambivalence -- that liminal stage between problem and solution -- as a place of both discomfort and possibility."

That quote isn't in the book, but no matter - I quite liked Seven Life Lessons even though I am very much not a "self-help" "wisdom" type reader. It's way more provocative than that.

More on my blog: http://www.magpiemusing.com/2014/01/b.
Michael
May 21, 2007 Michael rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: rebels, non-conformists
Shelves: philosophy
This book makes chaos theory easy to understand. It's a theory that explains--why the dynamics of life are always changing, never definite, and why to believe in the human potential. It uses real life examples to show how one small action could have enormous- or even revolutionary consequences. A bit abstract, it can be a little unfocused at times, but I'm now encouraged to be a little more spontaneous and open-minded.
Keya
...Society is a relatively simple and stable form that emerges out of the complex dreams, desires, and contributions of its members. Likewise, each individual, w/ a freedom of choice, is partially the creation of the society in which she lives.

* * *
I love this book - perfect symphony of the collective and the individual; appeals greatly to the artistic rebel in me
Kasey Tennant
Brilliantly written introduction to chaos theory.
For those well-versed in chaos theory already, you won't glean too many new insights, but this is nevertheless evocatively written and enjoyable.
For those new to the topic, it is a thorough and insightful intro.

As an artist, I found it extremely inspirational. I really cannot praise this text highly enough!
Karen
Seven Life Lessons of Chaos is one of my all-time favorites. I'm intrigued by chaos theory and find this book the easiest to understand. Great examples and good for corporate reading. Some of my best quotes for my books and workshops have come from this book.
Bridgett
A general overview of chaos theory that ordinary people can understand and see how it applies to daily life. Goes over fractals and various ways in which the environment and people are self-similar/self-regulating.
Weegee Sachtjen
An interesting look at the individual's role in creativity, society and how we Can harness Chaos theory to expand our boundaries. A bit heavy on science but worth the read!
TailFeather
I loved this book. I love the idea of chaos, and have learned to just go with the flow, as it were.
Jeremy
this book offered me a system of thought that ... just completely rules!
Kate
One of the best spiritual/philosophical books I have read.
Laura Eisele
Laura Eisele marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Anssi
Anssi marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Michael Chrobak
Michael Chrobak marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Candice Lango
Candice Lango marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Crystal
Crystal is currently reading it
Oct 20, 2014
Debrathegreat
Debrathegreat marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Emmi Aman
Emmi Aman marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
  • Synchronicity: The Bridge Between Matter and Mind
  • Synchronicity: Science, Myth, and the Trickster
  • Order Out of Chaos: Man's New Dialogue with Nature
  • Behaving as If the God in All Life Mattered
  • The Fruitful Darkness: A Journey Through Buddhist Practice and Tribal Wisdom
  • At Home in the Universe: The Search for the Laws of Self-Organization and Complexity
  • Emergence: From Chaos To Order
  • Dengarlah Suaraku
  • Science and the Akashic Field: An Integral Theory of Everything
  • On Creativity
  • Invent To Learn: Making, Tinkering, and Engineering in the Classroom
  • Building Green: A Complete How-To Guide to Alternative Building Methods Earth Plaster * Straw Bale * Cordwood * Cob * Living Roofs
  • Readings in Ancient Greek Philosophy: From Thales to Aristotle
Fractals: The Patterns of Chaos: Discovering a New Aesthetic of Art, Science, and Nature (A Touchstone Book) Looking Glass Universe: The Emerging Science of Wholeness Fire in the Crucible: The Self-Creation of Creativity and Genius Turbulent Mirror: An Illustrated Guide to Chaos Theory and the Science of Wholeness A Traves del Maravilloso Espejo del Universo

“Psychiatrist David Shainberg argued that mental illness, which appears chaotic, is actually the reverse. Mental illness occurs when images of the self become rigid and closed, restricting an open creative response to the world.” 3 likes