Start by marking “The Hemingway Women: Those Who Love Him - The Wives And Others” as Want to Read:
The Hemingway Women: Those Who Love Him - The Wives And Others

The Hemingway Women: Those Who Love Him - The Wives And Others

Many books have been written about Ernest Hemingway, but no book has focused on the women he knew and loved and sometimes hated — his mother, who was the lifelong recipient of his invective; his wives; and others who captivated him. Hemingway married four times, each time to a fascinating person: Hadley Richardson, who shared the Paris years and one son; Pauline Pfeiffer, ...more
Published December 17th 1998 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published August 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Hemingway Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hemingway Women

Aug 11, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it
A very interesting biography of Hemingway told through the scope of his relationships with women. Especially since his female characters were often controversial, and he was married four times (with other 'women' in-between), this is a very thorough and interesting book. While it's pretty scholarly (and well-annotated), it's well-written and isn't too 'heavy' to read.

I did wish for an epilogue, to find out what happened to his sons; I was curious too about how he related to his sisters and daug
Shev
Jun 17, 2011 Shev rated it really liked it
You understand Hemingway's stories MUCH better after you've been given access to the women who were in his life.
Liz
Oct 15, 2011 Liz rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: ernest hemingway fans
Recommended to Liz by: self
This book is about all the Hemingway wives, and also a couple affairs on the side. It starts out with Hadley, Ernest's first wife, then moves to Pauline, then to Martha, and finally to Mary. Ernest continues a correspondence with Hadley throughout his life, and realizes what a great thing he had with her. The marriage between Pauline and Ernest fail after it produces two sons, and Ernest is very bitter towards her til the very end. Martha seems to be short marriage, and Ernest couldn't live with ...more
penny
Sep 06, 2011 penny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was highly interesting. It was a look at his women, but by looking at him through this prism it gave a distinctive look at Hemingway himself. I found myself staying up too late at night to read this book. Marty was my favorite wife. She was just awesome. I wonder how much of his bad behavior was due to mental illness and how much to just being an ass.
Joan Colby
Nov 22, 2014 Joan Colby rated it it was amazing
A fascinating look at the women in Hemingway’s life—from his histrionic mother through his four wives and various lovers. While Hemingway is designed to be a peripheral character, the book sheds more light on him than many biographies. Kert studied with Carlos Baker, Hemingway’s principal biographer, who encouraged her in this focus and made his source materials available. The women in Hemingway’s life were accomplished, intelligent and vital especially Martha Gellhorn who unlike Hadley or Pauli ...more
Katie
Jan 22, 2012 Katie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Paris Wife Readers Wanting the Non-Fiction Interpretation, Hemmingway Fans and Foes
Recommended to Katie by: myself. I did a little Hemingway and his ladies digging after reading the fictional Paris Wife
There's a lot here to ruminate. Is "Ernest Hemingway was a chauvinist pig who blamed everybody but himself for all of the things that went less than according to his plan?" A good enough review? What about, "Ernest Hemingway was a troubled drunk who bullied and intentionally humiliated the women he loved."? I'll come back to this after the clouds have passed.
Zoë Gulliksen
Jun 22, 2014 Zoë Gulliksen rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favorite books. Lengthy and still very engrossing. The author has such a wonderful way of giving each woman in Hemingway's life the attention they deserve. As Gellhorn has stated, there are not just footnotes in someone else's life. They are extraordinary women who all had loved a fascinating & talented asshole. I can't recommend this book enough.
Ed
Jul 11, 2009 Ed rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Hemingway fans and students
Enjoyable and insightful studies of Ernest Hemingway's mother, wives and women friends. After reading the book, I wrote to Ms. Kert wth a question about Hadley and received a short reply expressing her surprise that anyone was still reading it.
Suzanne
Jun 05, 2008 Suzanne rated it it was ok
Shelves: biography, nonfiction
A different point of view on Hemingway. I thought that the Mellow book on Hemingway was better and addressed the women in his life in an equally fair way. Certainly this work gives us more information, but I didn't feel more enlightened.
Suzanne
Sep 20, 2008 Suzanne rated it really liked it
This was a fun read. The women were interesting but Hemmingway comes off pretty badly. He earned the reputation he has as a self-centered pig. He cheated on every wife and 4 times married (and divorcded) the woman he was cheating with. His last wife, Martha Gellhorn, was my favorite.
Claire M.
Mar 03, 2009 Claire M. rated it really liked it
I have read several Hemingway biographies, and in some ways this is the most interesting. This book prompted me to read Gellhorn's biography because I was so impressed with the way Ms. Kert brought these women to the page.
Jamie
Aug 23, 2007 Jamie rated it it was amazing
The women he married, dated, abused were in some ways more interesting than he was. especially martha gellhorn. she kicked ass.
Arlene
Aug 04, 2012 Arlene rated it really liked it
Well written
Johnandstacy
May 03, 2012 Johnandstacy rated it it was amazing
Perfect guide to the inner workings of Ernest from those who truly loved him, faults and all
Tina
Jun 19, 2014 Tina rated it it was amazing
Bernice Kert said, in her author's note, that if the reader gleaned anything new about Ernest Hemingway, then it would be through the eyes of the women he was closest to in his life. She was absolutely right. This is a book about these women and what they got from and endured in their relationships with Hemingway. And, Hemingway IS further elucidated. It's a beautifully written account. She brings new material to the table because she was able to get first hand material from most of the women th ...more
Meg Winkler
Sep 14, 2016 Meg Winkler rated it it was amazing
Really excellent read! While I'm not a huge Hemingway fan, I'm fascinated by his life. After we got back from Key West (and touring his home that he had with Pauline there) I picked this volume up. One of the best biographies I've ever read! Very readable and enjoyable. It reads more like a novel than a historical record, which is nice. You begin to develop so much empathy for the women in Hemingway's life - he was such a force of nature that it's fascinating to read about those who were closest ...more
Terry
Apr 12, 2015 Terry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a great companion book to “Mrs. Hemingway!” Ms. Kert not only gives us a great biography of the 5 Mrs. Hemingways (we learn about Ernest’s mother Grace,) but some of the other women he had emotional, maybe sexual, relationships. I would have given this a “5” but it ends abruptly. Published in 1983, 2 of the former wives were still alive, so I can see where Ms. Kert wouldn’t have been able to go into their lives much, but this really could have used an epilogue, a sort-of “where are they now ...more
Theresa Comer
Jan 25, 2014 Theresa Comer rated it really liked it
Very engaging biography of a complicated man. I have read some of his books and novels based on his life, but obviously not with the accuracy as relayed in his own written words through letters he wrote and received. The author researched extensively and connected with many of those in his life and what their memory of Hemingway's influence in their lives. Very interesting-I would highly recommend it.
Chris
May 05, 2011 Chris added it
I have read many books about Hemingway and his escapades. This book was well written and informative, but I did not learn anything new about the author. He was a rogue and a scoundrel, that we know, and his treatment of women was questionable, to say the least. So why is it that I am so drawn to books about his life?
Ann Otto
May 08, 2016 Ann Otto rated it it was amazing
Excellent, detailed, well-researched book on Hemingway's life as told through the women he had relationships with, married and lusted after. Interesting stories related to WWI, WWII and the Spanish Civil War in which he and other characters participated. Good book for history buffs including many international locations.
Nicole
Sep 30, 2013 Nicole rated it really liked it
Very fascinating portrait of Hemingway wives and his relationships with the ladies. Let's just say that he lived by the motto "Marry in haste, repent at leisure". I also learned that medical care in the first half of the 20th century was sketchy at best.
Julie Loth
It never ceases to amaze me how extremely brilliant, creative people are not the best at forming and keeping relationships. Earnest was a troubled soul. Only Hadley was able to let him go and move on.
LA
Aug 06, 2016 LA rated it it was amazing
Amazing story told from the perspective of the wife and women in his life. Sad to experience a gifted man's unhappy ending and development. Hemingway ended up as a brute, but he could write.
Loren
Feb 03, 2012 Loren rated it it was ok
Frankly, I'm not impressed with Hemingway - his life (boring) and/or his writings. I skipped throught the book and didn't finish it.
Judy
May 04, 2013 Judy rated it really liked it
This book was just what I thought it would be - a fascinating account of the women in Ernest Hemingway's life, from his mother to his four wives, and the women in between.
Anita
Apr 10, 2014 Anita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit confusing at first, with the name usage (switching between last name, first name, and nickname usage), but well worth the read.
Ann
May 10, 2011 Ann rated it liked it
Well written, but after awhile I just didn't care about the subject. Bernice Kert should sue the author of "The Paris Wife" for completely ripping off her chapters about Hadley.
Marlies
Marlies rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2012
Steen Alexander
Steen Alexander rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2016
Lisa Pool
Lisa Pool rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2013
  • Hemingway: The Paris Years
  • Gellhorn: A Twentieth Century Life
  • Pre-Raphaelites in Love
  • Paris Without End: The True Story of Hemingway's First Wife
  • Papa Hemingway
  • Sylvia Beach and the Lost Generation: A History of Literary Paris in the Twenties and Thirties
  • Everybody Was So Young: Gerald and Sara Murphy: A Lost Generation Love Story