Start by marking “Surprised by Joy/The Four Loves” as Want to Read:
Surprised by Joy/The Four Loves

Surprised by Joy/The Four Loves

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  6 reviews
"If wit and wisdom, style and scholarship are requisites to passage through the pearly gates, Mr. Lewis will be among the angels." —The New Yorker

C.S. Lewis was an unfailingly honest and acutely perceptive observer of humanity. In Surprised by Joy, he recounts his search for joy, a spiritual journey that led him from a traditional Christian childhood in Belfast to a youthf
Published November 1st 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about Surprised by Joy/The Four Loves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Surprised by Joy/The Four Loves

John
Sep 01, 2012 John added it
I've been transfixed, delighted, challenged and illuminated by C.S. Lewis since I read the Narnia books as a kid. My only caveat with this book would be that he was a man of his place and time with some of the prejudices of that place in time.
But in the end you cannot fault his honesty, the depth of his self-examination or his faith. He is proof, like Paul, that a good Christian is a thinking Christian if he or she strives to apply that rigor with love and honesty without self pity or pride to
Rachel
I could never have imagined that such an explicitly religious and Christian text could bring such insight, comfort, and delight to an unbeliever like me.
Megan
The biography was thorough and interesting though his obvious love of understanding and explaining all his changes in his system of beliefs were tiresome at times, I was surprised many times on how he saw and interpreted the world of his youth.

The Four Loves is something I wish I had read earlier for in defines precisely how love seems to work on this world and how it points us to the love of God.
Kathy
The memoirs of CS Lewis as told in Surprised by Joy provide an understanding the people and places from his childhood that one can see impacts his fictional writing. Two themes that reoccur through his life involve reading the value of friendships. Lewis' early experience of joy sends him on a quest through his later years to find joy again... bringing him to faith in God.

The Four Loves is a natural pairing with his memoirs. I found Lewis' thought process to be quite rambling, with many a 'bird
Sarah K
Slow, but an interesting read. I liked reading about Lewis's spiritual journey and the connections he made to his readings on mythology. The Four Loves was based much more on religion than psychology like I originally thought, which I guess shouldn't have been a surprise, but it was still an interesting book.
§--
Neither are his best work, or on the level of his essays, but both are good at what they aim to do.
Bobbie
Bobbie marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Ema
Ema marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Amydodd
Amydodd is currently reading it
Jul 27, 2015
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Rachael
Rachael marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Stephanie Diionno
Stephanie Diionno marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Meredith
Meredith marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Emma Nettles
Emma Nettles marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Anastassiya
Anastassiya is currently reading it
May 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Free Man's Worship
  • The Demon's Sermon on the Martial Arts: A Graphic Novel
  • Abel Sánchez
  • Out of My Life and Thought (Schweitzer Library)
  • Oration on the Dignity of Man
  • The Mind of Christ: The Transforming Power of Thinking His Thoughts
  • Voice of Matthew
  • A Holy Ambition: To Preach Where Christ Has Not Been Named
  • Bread of Angels
  • L'ospite inquietante: il nichilismo e i giovani
  • The Awakened Heart: Opening Yourself to the Love You Need
  • The Parables of Peanuts
  • A Writer's People: Ways Of Looking And Feeling
  • Be Joyful (Philippians): Even When Things Go Wrong, You Can Have Joy
CLIVE STAPLES LEWIS (1898–1963) was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature at Cambridge University, a position he held until his retirement. He wrote more than th ...more
More about C.S. Lewis...
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1) The Chronicles of Narnia (Chronicles of Narnia, #1-7) The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #3) The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #6) Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia, #2)