Start by marking “Surprised by Joy/The Four Loves” as Want to Read:
Surprised by Joy/The Four Loves

Surprised by Joy/The Four Loves

"If wit and wisdom, style and scholarship are requisites to passage through the pearly gates, Mr. Lewis will be among the angels." —The New Yorker

C.S. Lewis was an unfailingly honest and acutely perceptive observer of humanity. In Surprised by Joy, he recounts his search for joy, a spiritual journey that led him from a traditional Christian childhood in Belfast to a youthf
Published November 1st 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about Surprised by Joy/The Four Loves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Surprised by Joy/The Four Loves

Rachel
May 20, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing
I could never have imagined that such an explicitly religious and Christian text could bring such insight, comfort, and delight to an unbeliever like me.
Dean
Mar 13, 2017 Dean rated it it was amazing
I wish I could describe accurately the enormous pleasure and insight this two books by C. S. Lewis had given to me....
But, dear good reads family, let me begin by saying that this review include and encompass actually two books!!!
So, do you hear me?
I said and repeat two books, namely:
(1) surprised by joy.
(2) the four loves.
First, "surprised by joy" dealt with C. S. Lewis life, and describes his development from an atheist to become a Christian. Here Lewis writes about his surroundings, family an
John
Sep 01, 2012 John added it
I've been transfixed, delighted, challenged and illuminated by C.S. Lewis since I read the Narnia books as a kid. My only caveat with this book would be that he was a man of his place and time with some of the prejudices of that place in time.
But in the end you cannot fault his honesty, the depth of his self-examination or his faith. He is proof, like Paul, that a good Christian is a thinking Christian if he or she strives to apply that rigor with love and honesty without self pity or pride to
Jessica
Oct 20, 2016 Jessica rated it liked it
Surprised by joy was a fresh perspectivetype of writing from CS Lewis. The Four Loves had a few passages that presented themselves to me in a more clear, impactful way than the rest.
Kathy
Oct 16, 2013 Kathy rated it really liked it
The memoirs of CS Lewis as told in Surprised by Joy provide an understanding the people and places from his childhood that one can see impacts his fictional writing. Two themes that reoccur through his life involve reading the value of friendships. Lewis' early experience of joy sends him on a quest through his later years to find joy again... bringing him to faith in God.

The Four Loves is a natural pairing with his memoirs. I found Lewis' thought process to be quite rambling, with many a 'bird
Anna
As with everything I've read by Lewis, there were many moments of such beautifully expressed clarity that really smacked of truth. But more than anything else I've read of his, The Four Loves had so many insufferable descriptions of women that I wanted to put the book down many times. It was infuriating that almost every time he talked about my sex, it was in context of stupidity, frivolity, pettiness, vanity, or just plain foolishness. Oh the other hand, every desirable or Christian trait was ...more
Megan
Feb 24, 2015 Megan rated it really liked it
The biography was thorough and interesting though his obvious love of understanding and explaining all his changes in his system of beliefs were tiresome at times, I was surprised many times on how he saw and interpreted the world of his youth.

The Four Loves is something I wish I had read earlier for in defines precisely how love seems to work on this world and how it points us to the love of God.
Sarah K
Mar 17, 2014 Sarah K rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Slow, but an interesting read. I liked reading about Lewis's spiritual journey and the connections he made to his readings on mythology. The Four Loves was based much more on religion than psychology like I originally thought, which I guess shouldn't have been a surprise, but it was still an interesting book.
Amanda Hwang
Oct 30, 2016 Amanda Hwang marked it as to-read
Another attempt at both books would be beneficial for me. What I'm gathering from reading the beginning of The Four Loves is that there are different types of love. I'm not remembering what I read in Surprised by Joy.
Σς
Jul 01, 2012 Σς rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
Neither are his best work, or on the level of his essays, but both are good at what they aim to do.
Marty Puckett
Marty Puckett rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2015
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2016
Gkc3of9
Gkc3of9 rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2012
Murray
Murray rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2013
Lindsey anderson
Lindsey anderson rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2013
cameron
cameron rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2014
Bob Wratz
Bob Wratz rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2011
Carol Apple
Carol Apple rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2012
Rick Pastoor
Rick Pastoor rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2015
Caladhiel
Caladhiel rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2012
Franki
Franki rated it did not like it
Jun 29, 2014
Jeremy Cole Crook
Jeremy Cole Crook rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2013
Sam Kaulbach
Sam Kaulbach rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2016
Deborah
Deborah rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2011
Jan
Jan rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2012
Faith
Faith rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2013
Kingsley Layton
Kingsley Layton rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2014
Francesco
Francesco rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2014
Christina
Christina rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Demon's Sermon on the Martial Arts: A Graphic Novel
  • Knowledge and Christian Belief
  • Journey toward Justice: Personal Encounters in the Global South
  • Why Christian Faith Still Makes Sense: A Response to Contemporary Challenges (Acadia Studies in Bible and Theology)
  • On the True Doctrine: A Discourse Against the Christians
  • Recovering Classic Evangelicalism: Applying the Wisdom and Vision of Carl F. H. Henry
  • How to Be an (A)theist: Why Many Skeptics Aren't Skeptical Enough
  • Free Man's Worship
  • Did Adam and Eve Really Exist?: Who They Were and Why You Should Care
  • Vida De Don Quijote Y Sancho/ the Life of Don Quijote and Sancho (Letras Hispanicas / Hispanic Writings)
  • Who's Afraid of Relativism?: Community, Contingency, and Creaturehood (The Church and Postmodern Culture)
  • Christian Philosophy: A Systematic and Narrative Introduction
  • Oration on the Dignity of Man
  • On Politics and Ethics
  • What's Your Worldview?: An Interactive Approach to Life's Big Questions
  • Christian Apologetics
  • The Faith of Christopher Hitchens: The Restless Soul of the World's Most Notorious Atheist
  • Out of My Life and Thought (Schweitzer Library)

CLIVE STAPLES LEWIS (1898–1963) was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature
More about C.S. Lewis...