Start by marking “Superheroes and Philosophy: Truth, Justice, and the Socratic Way” as Want to Read:
Superheroes and Philosophy: Truth, Justice, and the Socratic Way

Superheroes and Philosophy: Truth, Justice, and the Socratic Way (Popular Culture and Philosophy #13)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  396 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Great Caesar's Ghost!! A team of Brainiacs! Superheroes and Philosophy is Kryptonite for those supervillains who diss the heroes as lightweights! Riddle me this, Batman: How are Gotham City and Metropolis like ancient Athens and modern Paris? Read this sensational book and find out!
Paperback, Large Print, 528 pages
Published October 1st 2010 by ReadHowYouWant (first published June 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Superheroes and Philosophy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Superheroes and Philosophy

K.M. Weiland
You had me from the word "superheroes." I was expecting Philosophy Lite - and that's what I got. But I was surprised by how interesting and thought-provoking the essays ended up being. Those about morality, identity, and time travel were especially good. Plus what's not to like about basking a little in the history and lore of the superheroic (although the book has something to say about the term)?
Alexis
This is a fantastic series. I'm not even personally into comics but I found the novelty of combining these subjects refreshing and entertaining. I'd definitely recommend this to younger readers for whom classical philosophy is too boring or obtuse.
Bryce Wilson
A good book. While I've learned to like comics again superheroes are still kind of a mystery to me. Don't get me wrong I like a spot of Miller and Moore styler revisionism, or a bit of Bendis and Vaughn kickass story telling. But the majority of continuity swamped, staid superhero books just leave me cold. Due to the trillions years of back story I find them kind of incomprehensible at best, and just straight up goofy at worse.

Still this is a fun look at the potent myths and ideas that swarm un
JM
I actually was expecting it to be heavier on the philosophy part, so it was a bit of a surprise that it was very approachable regardless of whether you know a lot about comic books and/or about philosophy. Interesting read, for sure.
Tyson
Layman's philosphy told through comic book characters we all grew up with and love. Lots of hidden gems on what motivates them and humans in general. Great way to get your foot in the door in regards to philosphy and a nice new take and spin on all of our favorite heroes. Recommended.
Twyst
Mar 13, 2011 Twyst is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoying this book so far. A lot about Superman. Cannot express how much I do not care about Superman, but interesting viewpoints. Pretty heavily American so far.
Chris
So there you are. You've been bitten by a radioactive, alien wolverine that's been cursed by a gypsy and struck by lightning and you have finally, after years and years of waiting, been blessed with super powers. You can do things no one else can do, and you can do them faster, stronger, better and in more spandex than you ever dreamed possible. Now there's only one thing to do: pick a name, put together a costume and go fight crime!

But... why?

Ever stop and think about it? I mean, I know I would
Wade Bearden
This was an interesting read. I would have to argue that the main subject of this book is not necessarily superheroes, but instead philosophy with superheroes serving as illustrations.

I especially liked the section dealing with morality. A number of deep philosophical questions were discussed. What is morality? What does it mean to be moral? Why should one be "good?" It all boils down to this: if we are just mere products of a number of random chemical or natural reactions, then there really is
Nicholas
This was a really, really good book. Some of the articles were just okay, perhaps a little philosophically dense for light reading material, especially the ones that have to do with morality and ethical theory (Kantian theory, Utilitarian, and other nonconsequential ethical theories), but this depth is precisely what makes the book worth reading. It lends depth and an element of mythos to the superhero genre that many people assume is absent.

I particularly enjoyed the article on metaphysics and
Tiamatty
This is a really fun, interesting exploration of philosophical issues through the context of superheroes. Things like identity, morality and friendship are explored, using examples from comic books to make the arguments easier to understand. It's fascinating reading, often mixed with great humour.
Anthony
This is a hefty piece of reading.

Not for the person looking for light recapping of the Superhero comic genre; this is a intellectual and heavy, (maybe too heavy at times) series of essays about the big - I mean BIG - issues, that superhero comics sometimes tackle in the course of trying to defeat a supervillain out to destroy or conquer the world.

If you are in the mood though, what you have here is a trip back to that college course in Philosophy you took once, only this time we're bringing Su
Qi
I am intrigued by Joss Whedon's Avenger movie and look into any writing on the philosophic bendings on superhero genres. Beside the visual dazzles, these different persona of superhero (and deities) reflect certain strands of human impulses and drives, and the way they pursue their destinies. Whedon's film tantalized me with its quick wit and irony, embedded in good visual imaginations. That is why I searched for a book to shed on some light on different creative drives (and popularity appeals) ...more
Kayleigh
Mar 08, 2011 Kayleigh rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kayleigh by: read for imaginative lit class
I've always been of the opinion that there's more to comics than meets the eye, and I feel like this book proves me right. Well-written and thought-provoking, it delves into the lives and minds of some of the most famous (and some not-so-famous) comic-book superheroes, exploring their backgrounds, motives, state of mind, and morals from multiple angles, and ultimately asking and answering the question: What makes someone a hero?

A fun read that puts an intellectual spin on a form of media common
Grayson
This book looks at Superheroes as archetypes, and what roles they play in our collective consciousness as a culture. Superheroes are viewed as exaggerations of ourselves; mythical Gods that we aspire to be like. Morris shows that by understanding the psychology of Superheroes (archetypes), we better understand ourselves and our attempts to better ourselves. Although I am biased, his insight into the psyche of Superman was truly astounding. This is a fun and insightful read that leaves you feelin ...more
Kevin Makice
Aug 20, 2007 Kevin Makice rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: amateur philosophers
It isn't the best in the Popular Culture and Philosophy series (I can't wait until the Lost version comes out in a few years!), but it is a nice examination of philosophical concepts using the wealth of superhero history from film and comics as exemplars. Much of it went over the head of my 7-year-old, who insisted we read it together at night. It is very thought-provoking and great fodder for conversation.
Dana
Jan 14, 2008 Dana rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: comic book nerds
Shelves: textbooks
I checked this book out for my class on antiheroes but found some of the essays (particularly the one by Jeph Loeb and Tom Morris) tend to talk down to the students. The book isn't all like that, though, and the section "Superheroes and Moral Duty" was actually really interesting. I ended up teaching excerpts from several chapters rather than entire essays.
Emily May
I very much enjoyed reading this book and the perspectives it brought about the superhero world. Certainly a great read for anyone who is interested in learning more about philosophy and how it relates to our awesome superheroes.
papasteve
I like this whole series of books. The essays that I like best in this collection had to do with identity, and how we either reveal or hide ourselves from others. Other essays about how to choose the good, and the consequences of those choices were excellent.
Miquixote
Very fun book, most essays surprise in their depth. We get to see how superheroes are often about quite a bit more than first meets the eye. But there is one or two shockingly weak essays tendered here, particularly the one on the Fantastic Four.
Joseph Eddy
Good as far as these things go. I'm giving four stars for entertainment value, but if you're even an armchair philosophy buff, many of these discussions will seem a bit stale, and some of them leave a lot to be desired.
Tim Gannon
So-So - some of the contributors weren't philosophers by training which carried over into their narrative - other texts in this series have been far better.
Diana Zhang
Some very amazing insights and then some which made me want to punch puppies, become a super-villain, etc. I recommend with discretion.
The essays in this book were quite thought-provoking. Batgirl's obsessions with moral perfectionism was a personal favourite. :)
Cori
This is Clayton's book, but I've given it a read through. Nothing groundbreaking.
Ben Newton
About halfway through, these essays started getting very repetitive.
Bret
My favorite so far of the Pop Culture and philosophy series.
Daniel
Daniel is currently reading it
Dec 25, 2014
  • The Chronicles of Narnia and Philosophy: The Lion, the Witch, and the Worldview
  • Monty Python and Philosophy: Nudge Nudge, Think Think!
  • X-Men and Philosophy: Astonishing Insight and Uncanny Argument in the Mutant X-Verse
  • Star Wars and Philosophy: More Powerful than You Can Possibly Imagine
  • Sherlock Holmes and Philosophy: The Footprints of a Gigantic Mind
  • Dexter and Philosophy: Mind over Spatter
  • Batman and Philosophy: The Dark Knight of the Soul
  • More Matrix and Philosophy: Revolutions and Reloaded Decoded
  • Stephen Colbert and Philosophy: I Am Philosophy (And So Can You!)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Philosophy: Fear and Trembling in Sunnydale
  • The Beatles and Philosophy: Nothing You Can Think that Can't Be Thunk
  • Woody Allen and Philosophy: [You Mean My Whole Fallacy Is Wrong?]
  • The Psychology of Superheroes: An Unauthorized Exploration
  • Lost and Philosophy: The Island Has Its Reasons
Tom Morris has become one of the most active public philosophers in the world due to his unusual ability to bring the greatest wisdom of the past into the challenges of the present.

A native of Durham, North Carolina and a Distinguished Alumnus of Durham Academy, Tom was a Morehead Scholar at the University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill, which has honored him, along with Michael Jordan, as a reci
More about Tom Morris...
Philosophy for Dummies If Harry Potter Ran General Electric: Leadership Wisdom from the World of the Wizards If Aristotle Ran General Motors: The New Soul of Business The Stoic Art of Living: Inner Resilience and Outer Results True Success: A New Philosophy of Excellence