Start by marking “It's a Meaningful Life: It Just Takes Practice” as Want to Read:
It's a Meaningful Life: It Just Takes Practice

It's a Meaningful Life: It Just Takes Practice

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Here is a universal, time-tested path for finding true meaning and joy in every aspect of our lives. Drawing on his 30 years of teaching and service, Bo Lozoff shows why compassion--not success, self-improvement, or self-esteem--is at the root of happiness. In 26 intimate, inspiring chapters--each accompanied by a specific practice--Lozoff covers themes such as developing ...more
Published March 1st 2001 by Penguin Books (first published March 6th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about It's a Meaningful Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's a Meaningful Life

Laurie
I found out about Bo Lozoff through his work with the Human Kindness Project which brings kindness to prisoners. His book has two parts:

Communion and Community

In the Communion section, he has spiritual practices to help you get to know yourself better. In the community section, he lists practices that help you reach out to others and make a difference in the world.

He has some great ideas that I have already tried to improve my meditation and prayer. One of my favorites is the daily review. You l
Nick
Jul 23, 2011 Nick rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Neem Karoli Baba
The one piece of advice from this book I still bring up in conversation is about a person's job. I've probably adapted it quite a bit over the years: On a superficial level, it should be something you like doing. On a deeper level, it should be in the service of something you really believe in.

Sounds really clear and true, right? The older I get, however, the more I realize how a pure ideal like this one gets diluted when I have negotiate with reality.

This book is full of advice, but it's seriou
David Geller
Fantastic book with great life lessons. Each chapter is quite short, but filled with insights and thought provoking passages. Wonderful lessons about how to build a life filled with meaning and satisfaction. I did not agree with everything Lozoff said, but I found it all to be worth considering.
Monika
What a wonderful book! Life is meaningful and we all can take part in making it a much better world if we chose to do so. This book is set up in question-answer chapters with a 'putting it into practice' at the end of each chapter. Bo Lozoff puts forth questions that I imagine many struggle with, (I definitely do) and answers them in simple to understand words. A must read for those of us that want to live a more simpler, kinder and meaningful life.
Todd Stryker
I respect Bo a lot and what he chose as his work. For me this book has been a very practical and powerful guide to help me work on me.
Sally
A very practical, useful, and inspiring book.
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Laura Weatherford
Laura Weatherford marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Sus
Sus marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Sleonhardi
Sleonhardi marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Jerri Gray
Jerri Gray marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Kaitlyn McMahon
Kaitlyn McMahon marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Dana Beyer
Dana Beyer marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Shannon Frost
Shannon Frost marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
We're All Doing Time: A Guide for Getting Free Deep and Simple: A Spiritual Path for Modern Times Lineage and Other Stories Just Another Spiritual Book The Wonderful Life of a Fly Who Couldn't Fly