Start by marking “Miranda the Great” as Want to Read:
Miranda the Great

Miranda the Great

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  9 reviews
When barbarians invade Rome, Miranda the cat and her daughter Punka must find a safe place to hide from the chaos. They make their way through the burning city, collecting motherless kittens as they go. At last they reach the Colosseum--but even there, danger lurks!
How these fortunate felines survive to become the noble ancestors of the cats of modern Rome is all due to t
Published August 1st 2005 by Harcourt Brace and Company (first published January 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Miranda the Great, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miranda the Great

A
A cat and her family find refuge in the Roman Colusseum when the city is overrun by barbarians.

Ages 9-12

Miranda the Great is a large golden cat with a beautiful singing voice, who lives peacefully with her daughter Punka and a girl named Claudia in ancient Rome. When barbarians burn and sack the city, Miranda and Punka hide and are left behind while the family flees to the country. In an attempt to find a safe place for Punka and her newborn kittens, Miranda finds shelter in the Colusseum. There
Syakirah Amran(f5)
There are many pets in Claudia's place in Rome especially Miranda and her kittens.Claudia lived with Miranda in a pretty golden marble house.Everyday Miranda and her kittens will drink drops of goat's milk to make them strong and big.... What will happen to Miranda?
Evelyn
Leslie
A cute book but not a favorite even though I'm a cat lover. I would have given it 2.5 stars but since this one was for the kids and with the kids as an audio book, they rate it a 5. My daughter especially liked the narrator's voice for this audio book saying it was "very soothing" and "like silk". LOL
Hilary
Edward Ardizzone illustrated the version of the book I read, which I found in a cast-off heap. Children wild about cats may enjoy this story, set in Ancient Rome. The character names were not very original and Estes has written much better material.
H
A solid read for those kids who love an animal story. Quick and easy and pretty light - I like the way it weaves in teh cats of Rome, which could make a fun little research project for the kitty-obsessed kid. Can see why it remains in print!
Nancy
I love this book. Makes me want to go to Rome. Silly and good and a classic.

G: I like this book even though I don't like cats. It's all about a "cat-astrophe." Get it?
Joseph W7
I like this book a lot as its adventure was thrilling.
Lia
A silly, historical cat book.
Evelyn
Evelyn marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
N Do
N Do added it
Aug 23, 2014
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Krystal
Krystal marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2013
Ella M
Ella M added it
Oct 26, 2013
Tina Jewett
Tina Jewett marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Eleanor Ruth Rosenfeld (Estes)was an American children's author. She was born in West Haven, Connecticut as Eleanor Ruth Rosenfield. Originally a librarian, Estes' writing career began following a case of tuberculosis. Bedridden while recovering, Estes began writing down some of her childhood memories, which would later turn into full-length children's books.

Estes's book Ginger Pye (1951) won the
More about Eleanor Estes...
The Hundred Dresses Ginger Pye (The Pyes, #1) The Moffats (The Moffats, #1) The Witch Family The Middle Moffat (The Moffats, #2)