Start by marking “Miranda the Great” as Want to Read:
Miranda the Great

Miranda the Great

When barbarians invade Rome, Miranda the cat and her daughter Punka must find a safe place to hide from the chaos. They make their way through the burning city, collecting motherless kittens as they go. At last they reach the Colosseum--but even there, danger lurks!

How these fortunate felines survive to become the noble ancestors of the cats of modern Rome is all due to t
Published August 1st 2005 by Houghton Mifflin (first published January 1967)

Althea Ann
Oct 11, 2015 Althea Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite picture books from childhood.

I love how fiction can really inform your later life experiences. When I finally first visited Rome, and saw the Colosseum, I was immeasurably thrilled to see 'Miranda's' descendants living happily amidst the ruins, wild, but fed and cared for by volunteers.

Maybe this book is also part of the reason I love cats...
A
Nov 29, 2008 A rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cat and her family find refuge in the Roman Colusseum when the city is overrun by barbarians.

Ages 9-12

Miranda the Great is a large golden cat with a beautiful singing voice, who lives peacefully with her daughter Punka and a girl named Claudia in ancient Rome. When barbarians burn and sack the city, Miranda and Punka hide and are left behind while the family flees to the country. In an attempt to find a safe place for Punka and her newborn kittens, Miranda finds shelter in the Colusseum. There
Syakirah Amran(f5)
There are many pets in Claudia's place in Rome especially Miranda and her kittens.Claudia lived with Miranda in a pretty golden marble house.Everyday Miranda and her kittens will drink drops of goat's milk to make them strong and big.... What will happen to Miranda?
Margaret
Sep 17, 2016 Margaret rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Had to check out this book for Edward Ardizzone illustrations. Kitten rescue, leaping cats, the Rome Colosseum, and a scary lion- perfect elements of an enchanting story. I loved all Estes' books when I was a kid and re-reading this one was fun.
Evelyn
Dec 28, 2012 Evelyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leslie
A cute book but not a favorite even though I'm a cat lover. I would have given it 2.5 stars but since this one was for the kids and with the kids as an audio book, they rate it a 5. My daughter especially liked the narrator's voice for this audio book saying it was "very soothing" and "like silk". LOL
Hilary
Apr 28, 2009 Hilary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Edward Ardizzone illustrated the version of the book I read, which I found in a cast-off heap. Children wild about cats may enjoy this story, set in Ancient Rome. The character names were not very original and Estes has written much better material.
H
Sep 30, 2009 H rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid read for those kids who love an animal story. Quick and easy and pretty light - I like the way it weaves in teh cats of Rome, which could make a fun little research project for the kitty-obsessed kid. Can see why it remains in print!
Joseph W7
Apr 17, 2008 Joseph W7 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like this book a lot as its adventure was thrilling.
Shiloah
Slightly painful for the older kids because it really wasn't written to entertain them. My kids 11 and under enjoyed it more. A very simple storyline.
Starling Wolfrum
Sep 19, 2016 Starling Wolfrum rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I read this because my best friend's name is miranda.
Nancy
I love this book. Makes me want to go to Rome. Silly and good and a classic.

G: I like this book even though I don't like cats. It's all about a "cat-astrophe." Get it?
Ruth Covington
Ruth Covington rated it liked it
May 10, 2012
Amy Lee
Amy Lee rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2008
Kendra
Kendra rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2014
Malerie
Malerie rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2013
Kimberly Brown
Kimberly Brown rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2016
Diane
Diane rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2009
Lily Margaret Baker
Lily Margaret Baker rated it liked it
May 16, 2012
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2007
Meredith Mccaskey
Meredith Mccaskey rated it liked it
May 09, 2013
Heather Bleininger
Heather Bleininger rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2014
Miranda Atchley
Miranda Atchley rated it it was ok
May 25, 2015
Rose Ann
Rose Ann rated it it was ok
Jun 17, 2010
a
a rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2009
Panda Incognito
Panda Incognito rated it it was ok
May 18, 2012
Violet
Violet rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2013
Jennifer Priester
Jennifer Priester rated it it was ok
Dec 19, 2016
Manya Lisse
Manya Lisse rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2007
Brian J Koenen
Brian J Koenen rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Eleanor Ruth Rosenfeld (Estes)was an American children's author. She was born in West Haven, Connecticut as Eleanor Ruth Rosenfield. Originally a librarian, Estes' writing career began following a case of tuberculosis. Bedridden while recovering, Estes began writing down some of her childhood memories, which would later turn into full-length children's books.

Estes's book Ginger Pye (1951) won the
More about Eleanor Estes...