Start by marking “Black, White, Other: In Search of Nina Armstrong” as Want to Read:
Black, White, Other: In Search of Nina Armstrong

Black, White, Other: In Search of Nina Armstrong

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  36 reviews
The tenderness and truth of the book moved my heart. As well as the enormous love." - Alice Walker, Pulitzer Prize-winning author of The Color Purple Identity Crisis. As a biracial teen, Nina is accustomed to a life of varied hues mocha-colored skin, ringed brown hair streaked with red, a darker brother, a black father, a white mother. When her parents decide to divorce, t ...more
Published August 27th 2011 by Zonderkidz (first published August 9th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Black, White, Other, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black, White, Other

Lanica
I really wanted to like this book. I really did, but I just can't finish it. It's heavy handed, obvious and slow.

It's the story of a mixed race girl witnessing her white mothers divorce from her black father. It could be educational, thought provoking and heart-warming. Instead there are layers upon layers of 'race-issues' that are written into a thick nest of 'you-should-be-thinking-about-this' subplots. Instead of giving a us a story that makes us think the writing is a conglomeration of 'issu
Marissa
I just hated it.
'sylvie'
Mar 13, 2014 'sylvie' rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to 'sylvie' by: Z Street Team
Shelves: arc
This book was ok. It was really hard to get into and just kinda boring... I liked reading the parts about Nina's slave relative! That was better than the actual story, I think... sorry!
Jennifer Lavoie
I received this book as part of the Z Street Team for Zondervan. I chose the book out of two offered and I am very glad that I did. The book was a fantastic look into the life of a girl who is biracial and is at a point in her life where she questions who and what she is.

The most interesting aspect of the book for me was how the story of her great-great grandmother, a former slave, was told throughout her story. As she goes through her trials in life, she reads about what her ancestor went thro
Christa
Nina Armstrong goes through identity crisis when her white mother and black father go through a divorce. Not only is she now living in a split family unit, but now she is living between two races. Being a freshman in High School is hard enough, but having to choose who to be friends with based on the color of their skin is challenging. Everything around her seems to be tumbling down and the only thing that gives her guidance is the through the research and story of her great-great grandmother Sa ...more
Amber
Nina Armstrong is a biracial teen with a little brother, Jimi, whose skin is darker than her own, a black father, and a white mother. Her life is good and she has great friends but it is not until her parents decide to divorce that she realizes she has been viewing her life through rose-colored glasses.

Everyone in Nina’s life is changing. Her father transforms from mellow to angry, seeming to forget that his children are half white. Nina’s mother is irritable and begins to curse more than usual.
DubaiReader
Issues of race and identity.

This young-adult book will strike a chord with many of today's youngsters, either because they find themselves in this situation, or because others they know are struggling with similar problems to Nina.
Nina is American, has a white mother, black father and a mixed brother who is darker than she is. She hadn't seen this as a problem until her parents decide to divorce and she stays with her mother, while her younger brother goes to live with her Dad. At the same time,
Reena Jacobs
Expect my full review September 5, 2011 at Ramblings of an Amateur Author: http://wp.me/pPz8s-1JS

I had a rocky start with Black, White, Other. This book threw me right into the middle of a packing scene, followed by Nina (15 years old) rushing out the door to catch a bus to see her dad. And I’m thinking: her mom isn’t going to see her off? Of course, I’m thinking she’s catching a Greyhound bus. Well, at least until she missed the bus only to catch another one shortly. It also took me awhile to f
Meagan Myhren-bennett
Jul 28, 2011 Meagan Myhren-bennett rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Teens, Junior High Readers, Young Adults
Recommended to Meagan by: Z Street Team Reviews
BLACK, WHITE, OTHER
In Search of Nina Armstrong
By Joan Steinau Lester

Fifteen year old Nina Armstrong's world is all topsy turvy. Her parents are no longer together. She lives with her mother who's white and her brother Jimi lives with their father who’s black. Suddenly Nina's friends are trying to make her choose who she'll be friends with. Will she choose black or will she choose white? Who will she identify with? Or will she do as Saundra told her and embrace her otherness and live with everyon
Written Melodies
Sep 30, 2011 Written Melodies rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Written Melodies by: Z Street Team
Identity is a concept familiar to all. It is something that is struggled with daily and not easily defined. Who am I? Our gifts, talents, experiences, and ancestors make us who we are. For most, adolescence is the first attempt to piece together the puzzle of ourselves. Grappling with identity is frightening, but even more terrifying is being a biracial teen struggling with this issue when the world familiar to you crashes down.

In Black, White, Other, Nina Armstrong, a product of mixed parentag
Penelope
I've always loved books that detailed the life of slave children. They hit home and are so powerful, and it's always so moving to hear of ancestors and their life stories. The stories they tell make a person inspired enough to get up and change their own life, which is pretty much exactly what the protagonist, Nina Armstrong, did.
A novel about fitting in and finding yourself and the answers you seek, I went so fast through this book it was like water to me. I gobbled all the little nuggets of
Patty
This is another book that I decided to read because I "met" the author through Shelf Awareness' Book Brahmin. Lester mentioned some of my favorite books in her interview so I decided to read her YA novel.

Nina is a freshman in high school whose whole world seems to be coming apart. Her parents are separated, one of her best friends has moved away and suddenly the fact that she is biracial seems to matter. The beginning of the book is a great set up for your typical Young Adult problem novel.

Earl
Jeanne
This book is about a mixed race girl's struggle to find her identity. She finally, after many trials, begins to realize that her identity is not a race, but it is her, with all of her strengths and weaknesses.

There is a continuing story interspersed throughout the book of Nina's slave ancestor. Sarah's story of escaping slavery is exceptional, although it starts out choppy.

I noticed that the publisher of the book usually publishes Christian literature. This book has little bits about God and J
Kimathy
I thought this book was trying much to hard to be a literary masterpiece. Nina was annoying and unrelatable. Her attitude toward her parents I found to be outrageous. I kept thinking to myself while reading, god I hope she just ditches her friends. I mean, DON'T BE FRIENDS WITH RACISTS!!! She just never really realized that. She also needs to learn, in my humble but correct opinion, that so many other people have it harder. Some people have NEVER had any real friends. I also thought it was hilar ...more
Keisha McCollum
Black, White, Other is a story that many American’s can relate to. Nina is an all American teenager with a darker brother, a white mother, and a black father. The sudden divorce of her parents causes a sudden rift in how she views the world in a multicultural way. Between the problems within her family and the new dynamics of racial tension at school she feels lost. So Nina turns to the story of her great-great- grandmother’s escape from slavery. Within this story I understood the characters str ...more
Lyn Ehley
An interesting story of biracial awareness as a teen encounters bigotry from both the blacks and the whites. Nina grew up in a world on non-color as child and these same friends see her not fitting in with either race as she gets older. Woven throughout the book is a novel about her great grandmother escaping slavery in the South. Nina finds courage and wisdom from her father's book and finds her way through the veil of bigotry and labeling.

A good read - fast paced, very real in its attitude (I
Jenny
3.5 stars... I found Nina to be a real teeenager with real problems and I think my teenage self might have been better able to relate with her. My adult self found her a bit too whiny. However, I really liked the story within the story of Sarah Armstrong, a slave who travels the Underground Railroad. This could lead to some great discussion about race and friendship and the difference between "running away" and "running toward" something. I appreciate that it does include a bibliography (a coupl ...more
J.k. Rollins
This book is a brilliant, quick read. Lester brings the reader in right away to Nina's world and has a clear sense of what a teenager's life is like. The story-within-a-story of Nina's grandmother, running away from slavery, is a powerful way of showing how personal history echoes in our lives, helping guide Nina when she needs it most. Although the story is ostensibly about racial identity, it's really about any and every teen, searching to define themselves against their parents and peers. Per ...more
PopcornReads
Nina Armstrong is a biracial teenager living in the East Bay San Francisco area. She’s just turned fifteen and is still getting used to the idea. Her dad, Silas, is African American and her mom, Maggie, is Caucasian. That Nina is biracial was never a big deal partially because her parents were so together on everything, at least until they decided to get a divorce. Then Nina’s whole world turned upside down. Read the rest of my review at http://popcornreads.com/?p=1664
Anna
This is about a high school girl from a mixed-race family that has experienced a recent divorce. She struggles at school with fitting into both Black and white cultural groups. Whilst experiencing frustration at school and at home, she is reading her father's book about her great grandmother escaping from slavery. It has a good ending and I think the issues that come up in this book are real- it's definitely still relevant.
Alma  Ramos-McDermott
Nina has a Black father and a White mother. She looks White, but race has never been an issue in her family until her father moves out when she turns fifteen. It seemed like her father changed overnight, blaming Whites for the race riots in nearby Oakland California.

Read the rest of my review on my blog: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.c...
Maribel reyes
I received this book from the Z street team(Zondervan) and I'm sorry to say that this was a hard book to get interested in. Although the part of Nina's ancestor story was really intriguing and it kept me reading throughout the book. Besides the fact that it is hard to get into the book, I totally agree with what the book itself represents when it comes to a young girl finding herself a mist two different cultures.
Cara Stone
I enjoyed this novel about a teenager struggling with her racial identity in the midst of her parents' divorce. The historical references/parallels brought the reader to two worlds while making the work a whole. The one thing that really disappointed me was the romantic reference the author throws in toward the end, which felt like an afterthought, a stretch at best.
Alex
While the message of the book was glaringly obvious, it doesn't detract from the inner unrest that many "mixed" kids feel-- feeling too this or not enough that to fit in with a group of people, the anger and sadness and frustration when no one seems to understand or willing to challenge their own stagnant beliefs and prejudices.
Annie Oosterwyk
Interesting and at times provocative story of race, diversity, exclusion, cliques, stereotypes and slavery. Blended families bring their own issues to the top when a marriage fails. I especially liked the fallible parents and the message that Nina had to find her center to be happy. No quick fixes, either.
Janet Ferguson
I think the idea for this story, the struggles of the racially mixed young girl, was idustrious but reading the story was exhausting. I was annoyed with all the characters. The back story that Nina was reading was more interesting. I just didn't enjoy the writing for the present-day story.
Danie P.
A well written book about a young girl feeling neither black or white, being 15, being a child of divorce and a freshman in high school.
Tracey
this book could have been way better than what it was but it had some pretty good moments, mainly Nina's father's transcript.
Jessica
A beautifully written story. Perfect for young adults to read. I wish I had this book when I was younger.

• Free?: Stories About Human Rights
  • Katy's Decision (Katy Lambright Series, #4)
  • IraqiGirl: Diary of a Teenage Girl in Iraq
  • Merlin's Nightmare (The Merlin Spiral #3)
  • Deviant
  • dancergirl (WiHi, #1)
  • Heather Song: A Novel
  • Stealing Time (Time #1)
  • Diviner (Dragons of Starlight, #3)
  • The Scroll: A Novel
  • Tell No One Who You Are: The Hidden Childhood of Regine Miller
  • Be the Change: Your Guide to Freeing Slaves and Changing the World
  • Aquifer
  • Dandelions on the Wind (Quilted Hearts, #1)
  • The Last Temple
  • Replication: The Jason Experiment
  • Lafayette and the American Revolution
  • Villain School: Good Curses Evil
Joan Steinau Lester, Ed.D. is an award-winning NPR commentator, columnist, and the author of four books. Black, White, Other, a 2011 Young Adult novel, was her first fiction. Her latest novel, Mama's Child, will be released May 7. http://books.simonandschuster.com/Mam...
More about Joan Steinau Lester...
Mama's Child Fire in My Soul The Future Of White Men And Other Diversity Dilemmas Mama's Child: A Novel Taking Charge: Every Woman's Action Guide to Personal, Political and Professional Success

“Funny how an absence can feel like a presence, like that space practically glows with her outline and make me notice how she's not here.” 1 likes