Start by marking “Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek)” as Want to Read:
Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek)

Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek: The Original Series #7)

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  2,474 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews
The galaxy's ultimate future is in the hands of James Kirk, Mr Spock and the indomitable crew of the Enterprise. The galaxy's ultimate weapon is in the hands of the evil Khan and his followers. A battle that will shake the universe cannot be avoided.
Published 1994 by Titan Books (first published January 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Wrath Of Khan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wrath Of Khan

Daniel Kukwa
Jan 26, 2011 Daniel Kukwa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
SF legend Vonda McIntyre takes a few liberties, makes a few enhancements...and creates a novelization of the film that transforms the best Star Trek film into a story filled with even MORE violent, terrifying, and breathtaking moments. It's also a book that expands on Saavik with astonishing success. You can read and re-read this novelization and never once feel bored.
S. J.
Feb 17, 2012 S. J. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans, anyone whose watched the movie
*4 Stars* Really 3.5+ but worth the round up.

*The Gush*
It's really simply. THIS EXPLAINS THE MOVIE! All the places that made no sense. All the things that lowered my appreciation of the movie because 'it' made no sense! Don't get me wrong, this is one of my all time favorite movies in the Star Trek universe, but parts just made me mad. Now, I understand what they were trying to say but either cut a key scene or wanted you to read between the lines but you were just never sure.
Example: Saavik an
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 John Yelverton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic addition to the film. A must read for fans of the series.
Kristen
Jan 21, 2015 Kristen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book!Saavik is SO MUCH RADDER than Movie!Saavik.
Jason Brown (Toastx2)
The movie Wrath of Khan has been ruined forever. All hail the Wrath of Khan (book)! Let me explain, because Vonda McIntyre owned this.

For father's day, I do not require much. Give me a hot meal, a warm cuddle, and a chilly blanket covered viewing of StarTrek: The Wrath of Khan. Family time at it's best. Unfortunately, this year my children are of an age where this movie would cause undue stress. Earworms, explosions, blind revenge and blood really dont jive too well with toddlers, so it is on pa
Michael Hanscom
(This review applies equally to Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan, Star Trek III The Search for Spock, and Star Trek IV The Voyage Home.)

In a move that (if I remember correctly) was rather unusual for the time, the Star Trek franchise created three films that were direct sequels: each stands alone as its own story, but they also comprise three parts of one overarching story, with all the events taking place over the course of just a few months.

In a wonderful turn of events, author Vonda N. McIntyre
Elizabeth Wallace
May 17, 2008 Elizabeth Wallace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I went through a super-intense Original Star Trek mania for exactly one summer. (After that I got into "The Next Generation" and never looked back.) But during that summer I picked up this book in my Grandmother's library and read the entire thing in one evening in her air-conditioned kitchen in southern Alabama. And burst into tears. Twice. (Anybody who's read the book will know which two scenes did it, for everybody else, I ain't telling, go read the book.) I can count on one hand the books th ...more
Jerry
Aug 08, 2015 Jerry rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A Quickie Review

I used to read Star Trek books and watch the accompanying films fairly often...but that was a long time ago. Despite its popularity, The Wrath of Khan was one movie I just couldn't seem to get into...and the book was the same way. I had trouble understanding a lot of it, though it seemed to be well-written. Trekkies will definitely love this book; everyone else shouldn't bother.

Content Concerns: This is based on a movie that pretty much everyone has already seen or doesn't want t
Robert
Jun 15, 2010 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I actually read this novelization BEFORE seeing the movie back in the 80's, so I went into it fresh and without preconceptions. What remains memorable 30 years later is the point in the story when the Reliant and Enterprise play cat and mouse within the Mutara Nubulae. Kirk orders the helm to "Z minus 10,000 meters." Kirk is described as wanting to say, "Dive, Dive!" as a submarine commander would have done. Not brilliant writing to be sure, and even as a 12 year old I thought "hmm.. really?!"
Sean Randall
May 23, 2013 Sean Randall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best Star Trek Movies, as many will agree, and this book actually does the film credit. It expands on things not shown onscreen (adds characters and deepens existing material very well) and is generally an extremely well-written, atmospherically tight and character-driven story. One of the best novel versions of screen events I have come across.
Sam
Jan 13, 2011 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I'm a bit ashamed to put this on my list and even more ashamed to say that I really love this book. II is my favorite of the Trek movies and there is much more development here of the minor characters, especially some of the 'red shirts'. Am I a geek? Ya, sure, you betcha.
Luke Sims-Jenkins
I'm in two minds about this book. I want to give it two stars and I want to give it four. I'll keep it at three. There are some great things in this book, like Saavik, who gets fleshed out here to good effect. There are also things here that drive me insane. Now I know that scripts probably changed while McIntyre wrote this, but every time I read the words Alpha Ceti V or Regulus 1 it drove me crazy!

A problem I have, and its my problem not the books, is that I know the movie too well. The Wrath
Brian Kirk
Feb 20, 2017 Brian Kirk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the movie and I found the book to be that much better, it filled in a lot of gaps that were probably cut for time from the movie.
Indika De Silva
Nov 10, 2016 Indika De Silva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful and moving...

Adventurous and riveting...

I cried when I watched the movie...

I cried harder when I read the book...

William Crosby
Jan 06, 2017 William Crosby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
enjoyable to read; straightforward plotting (without constant retrospectives) and realistic, fun interactions between the characters
Joel
Jan 04, 2017 Joel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, trek
Wait, where was the "KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!" ?
martinjost.eu
Jan 26, 2015 martinjost.eu rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Das Buch zum zweiten StarTrek-Kinofilm von 1981.

Während es sich stellenweise wie ein Wortprotokoll des Films liest, sind einige Szenen enthalten, die über den Film-Plot hinausgehen. So erhalten der Maschinenraum-Kadett Peter Preston und Spocks Protegé Saavik jeweils mehr biografischen Hintergrund und eine eigene Nebenhandlung. Ob diese zusätzlichen bzw. verlängerten Szenen dem ursprünglichen Filmdrehbuch entstammen oder der künstlerischen Freiheit von Vonda N. McIntyre geschuldet sind, weiß ich
Jesse
Dec 03, 2016 Jesse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Seen the movie a number of times but never read the book until now. So much omitted that would have added even more substance to an outstanding film. The author provided more substance to the Saavik character which enabled a deeper understanding of her behavior. Kirsti Alley was really not the best casting choice. Robin Curtis, while she portrayed the character more skillfully than Alley, still did not do her justice in the future films. I digress.

One problem I found was the transposition of the
Jeremiah
Apr 28, 2014 Jeremiah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I had a strange urge to read some Star Trek books, and decided to start with Wrath of Khan. The novelization was written before the movie's screenplay was finalized so the dialogue isn't quite as snappy and there are a number of extra scenes that are hinted at, but not depicted in the film.

The book, however, is still a cracking read. Saavik is a much, MUCH, more complex character as portrayed in the novel. We learn her back story (she's half Romulan!) and her daily struggles with emotional outb
Tay
Apr 16, 2016 Tay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, fiction
In all honesty, Wrath of Khan isn't even my favorite of the original Star Trek movies (it might be third or fourth). While reading reviews for this novel, I was excited by some that stated it made the movie even better. 'Great,' I thought. "maybe the book will make me like the movie better." Unfortunately, in the case of Wrath of Khan, I think I enjoyed the movie more.

At times the liberties taken by McIntyre do enhance the plot and flesh out the characters. Saavik is more more engaging on the pa
Mike Crate
Mar 21, 2016 Mike Crate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, star-trek
What can you say, a novelisation of the greatest Star Trek movie ever to grace the silver screen can not go wrong and it didn't. In fact you can easily argue the book is better than the movie thanks to the extra depth and characterization given to elements that where not seen, were truncated or never even existed in the script. The look at the science team developing Genesis adding so much more to their deaths than we got out of the movie and an interesting take on Joachim and a little extra for ...more
Josiah
To be read after "The Eugenics Wars," "Space Seed," and "Star Trek: The Motion Picture."

Fifteen years after Kirk's Enterprise stumbled upon Khan Noonien Singh and his supermen entombed in the S.S. Botany Bay then relegated them to create a new society on the paradise of Alpha Ceti V, Terrell's the USS Reliant (with Chekov aboard) surveys the Alpha Ceti System in hopes of finding a lifeless planet to use in conjunction with the top-secret Genesis Project. When the Genesis Project is stolen, Admir
Nitin Motiani
Mar 22, 2013 Nitin Motiani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book.'The Wrath of Khan' definitely deserves to be called the best Star Trek story. The whole story is very good, and they have a kick-ass, ruthless villain. References to classic literature were pretty cool.
(view spoiler)
Mr. Spock's observati
Jane
I read three of the Star Trek movie novelizations out of order - first Voyage Home, then Search for Spock, now Wrath of Khan. This is definitely my least favorite of the three. There is a lot of stuff not in the movie, mostly about Saavik and David, who I don't care about, and exactly how Khan tortured the Genesis staff, which I really really did not want to read about. I do not think I'll be seeking out the first Star Trek movie novelization.

One note: I've heard that when Spock touches Dr. McCo
Joseph
Jun 14, 2015 Joseph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Quite an entertaining read, though I had more than a little trouble focusing on the book instead of visualizing the movie. I did enjoy seeing the author flesh out the movie's characters, though. I especially enjoyed her use of Joachim; limiting the viewpoint of Khan's followers to Joachim alone was a masterful decision that put Khan's ever-encroaching madness into perspective.

I also enjoyed her exploration of Saavik's history and Romulan heritage, even though these aspects were never addressed i
Mike McDevitt
It's tough to review novelizations fairly. Do I give it more credit because I liked the film? Or less because so much of the story is collaborative? I sort of have to imagine a world with similar but slightly skewed events. A world where Peter Preston is FOURTEEN with a crush on Saavik (who's back-story was very greatly appreciated).
It's a tale where the single line of Captain Terrell's dialouge "[Khan] went wild, he... he slit their throats..." has expanded into pages of back-story for the fla
Mary
Feb 10, 2008 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans
There was so much more detail in this book than in the movie that they may as well have been different stories. Nevertheless, both the book and the movie are a couple of my absolute favorites.

Unlike most of the other Star Trek movies and novels, The Wrath of Khan, The Search for Spock, and The Voyage Home must be read/watched consecutively.
Michael
Feb 21, 2013 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having watched the movie more times than I can count did not detract from my enjoyment when reading the book. Vonda McIntyre does a good job of bringing the film into print. Obviously, it helps that I've got a very clear image of everything she's describing. I'm guessing she expected that, so rather than go into lots of "world-building" detail, she fills in some background with Saavik's early years and describes Khan's "questioning" of the Genesis team on Regulus I Spacelab.

An enjoyable romp, an
Pamela
May 23, 2013 Pamela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: readin2013
It's been a long time since I read a novelization of a movie. My brother promised me that he would read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy if I read this. Of course, he didn't keep up his end of the bargain. But this was actually ... pretty good. Now, three stars for a Star Trek novel is not the same as three stars for Dickens. It's all relative. I did, however, like how this expanded on the backstory of some characters.
E.R.
Aug 29, 2013 E.R. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The novelization of this movie was super intense. You get a lot more perspective into why characters act the way they do and a lot more information on side characters you might be interested in (Saavik, Joachim, etc). The scene where Khan tortures and kills the Genesis scientists is included, which surprised me. It was intense but not gratuitous and it led you to understand things about the characters involved and their cultures and values. Vonda N. McIntyre is an exceptional writer.
  • Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #6)
  • Yesterday's Son (Star Trek: The Yesterday Saga, #1)
  • My Enemy, My Ally (Star Trek: Rihannsu, #1)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • Web of the Romulans
  • Uhura's Song
  • The Kobayashi Maru
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • The Vulcan Academy Murders
  • Star Trek: The New Voyages (Star Trek Adventures, #2)
  • Vulcan's Glory
Vonda Neel McIntyre is a U.S. science fiction author. She is one of the first successful graduates of the Clarion Science fiction writers workshop. She attended the workshop in 1970. By 1973 she had won her first Nebula Award, for the novelette "Of Mist, and Grass and Sand." This later became part of the novel Dreamsnake, which won both the Hugo and Nebula Awards. The novelette and novel both conc ...more
More about Vonda N. McIntyre...

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 113 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Black Fire
  • Triangle
  • Web of the Romulans
  • Yesterday's Son (Star Trek: The Yesterday Saga, #1)