Start by marking “Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek)” as Want to Read:
Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek)

Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek: The Original Series #7)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  1,610 ratings  ·  36 reviews
The galaxy's ultimate future is in the hands of James Kirk, Mr Spock and the indomitable crew of the Enterprise. The galaxy's ultimate weapon is in the hands of the evil Khan and his followers. A battle that will shake the universe cannot be avoided.
Published 1994 by Titan Books (first published January 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Wrath Of Khan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wrath Of Khan

S. J.
Jul 24, 2012 S. J. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans, anyone whose watched the movie
*4 Stars* Really 3.5+ but worth the round up.

*The Gush*
It's really simply. THIS EXPLAINS THE MOVIE! All the places that made no sense. All the things that lowered my appreciation of the movie because 'it' made no sense! Don't get me wrong, this is one of my all time favorite movies in the Star Trek universe, but parts just made me mad. Now, I understand what they were trying to say but either cut a key scene or wanted you to read between the lines but you were just never sure.
Example: Saavik an...more
Daniel Kukwa
SF legend Vonda McIntyre takes a few liberties, makes a few enhancements...and creates a novelization of the film that transforms the best Star Trek film into a story filled with even MORE violent, terrifying, and breathtaking moments. It's also a book that expands on Saavik with astonishing success. You can read and re-read this novelization and never once feel bored.
John Yelverton
A fantastic addition to the film. A must read for fans of the series.
Michael Hanscom
(This review applies equally to Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan, Star Trek III The Search for Spock, and Star Trek IV The Voyage Home.)

In a move that (if I remember correctly) was rather unusual for the time, the Star Trek franchise created three films that were direct sequels: each stands alone as its own story, but they also comprise three parts of one overarching story, with all the events taking place over the course of just a few months.

In a wonderful turn of events, author Vonda N. McIntyre...more
Elizabeth Wallace
I went through a super-intense Original Star Trek mania for exactly one summer. (After that I got into "The Next Generation" and never looked back.) But during that summer I picked up this book in my Grandmother's library and read the entire thing in one evening in her air-conditioned kitchen in southern Alabama. And burst into tears. Twice. (Anybody who's read the book will know which two scenes did it, for everybody else, I ain't telling, go read the book.) I can count on one hand the books th...more
Robert
I actually read this novelization BEFORE seeing the movie back in the 80's, so I went into it fresh and without preconceptions. What remains memorable 30 years later is the point in the story when the Reliant and Enterprise play cat and mouse within the Mutara Nubulae. Kirk orders the helm to "Z minus 10,000 meters." Kirk is described as wanting to say, "Dive, Dive!" as a submarine commander would have done. Not brilliant writing to be sure, and even as a 12 year old I thought "hmm.. really?!"
Jeremiah

I had a strange urge to read some Star Trek books, and decided to start with Wrath of Khan. The novelization was written before the movie's screenplay was finalized so the dialogue isn't quite as snappy and there are a number of extra scenes that are hinted at, but not depicted in the film.

The book, however, is still a cracking read. Saavik is a much, MUCH, more complex character as portrayed in the novel. We learn her back story (she's half Romulan!) and her daily struggles with emotional outb...more
Sean Randall
This is one of the best Star Trek Movies, as many will agree, and this book actually does the film credit. It expands on things not shown onscreen (adds characters and deepens existing material very well) and is generally an extremely well-written, atmospherically tight and character-driven story. One of the best novel versions of screen events I have come across.
Sam

I'm a bit ashamed to put this on my list and even more ashamed to say that I really love this book. II is my favorite of the Trek movies and there is much more development here of the minor characters, especially some of the 'red shirts'. Am I a geek? Ya, sure, you betcha.
Josiah
To be read after "The Eugenics Wars," "Space Seed," and "Star Trek: The Motion Picture."

Fifteen years after Kirk's Enterprise stumbled upon Khan Noonien Singh and his supermen entombed in the S.S. Botany Bay then relegated them to create a new society on the paradise of Alpha Ceti V, Terrell's the USS Reliant (with Chekov aboard) surveys the Alpha Ceti System in hopes of finding a lifeless planet to use in conjunction with the top-secret Genesis Project. When the Genesis Project is stolen, Admir...more
Nitin Motiani
I really enjoyed this book.'The Wrath of Khan' definitely deserves to be called the best Star Trek story. The whole story is very good, and they have a kick-ass, ruthless villain. References to classic literature were pretty cool.
(view spoiler)
Mr. Spock's observati...more
Mike McDevitt
It's tough to review novelizations fairly. Do I give it more credit because I liked the film? Or less because so much of the story is collaborative? I sort of have to imagine a world with similar but slightly skewed events. A world where Peter Preston is FOURTEEN with a crush on Saavik (who's back-story was very greatly appreciated).
It's a tale where the single line of Captain Terrell's dialouge "[Khan] went wild, he... he slit their throats..." has expanded into pages of back-story for the fla...more
Joanne G.
Gotta love a meglomaniac like Khan. And Khan will always be the fiery Ricardo Montalban version to me.
Mary
Mar 18, 2008 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans
There was so much more detail in this book than in the movie that they may as well have been different stories. Nevertheless, both the book and the movie are a couple of my absolute favorites.

Unlike most of the other Star Trek movies and novels, The Wrath of Khan, The Search for Spock, and The Voyage Home must be read/watched consecutively.
Elizabeth Rachel
The novelization of this movie was super intense. You get a lot more perspective into why characters act the way they do and a lot more information on side characters you might be interested in (Saavik, Joachim, etc). The scene where Khan tortures and kills the Genesis scientists is included, which surprised me. It was intense but not gratuitous and it led you to understand things about the characters involved and their cultures and values. Vonda N. McIntyre is an exceptional writer.
Surya Teja
The movie and the book are almost similar, just for some parts where the feelings of the people have been mentioned like Saavik feeling rafe etc.
The book was super
Pamela
It's been a long time since I read a novelization of a movie. My brother promised me that he would read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy if I read this. Of course, he didn't keep up his end of the bargain. But this was actually ... pretty good. Now, three stars for a Star Trek novel is not the same as three stars for Dickens. It's all relative. I did, however, like how this expanded on the backstory of some characters.
Gerd
The best of the Trek movies, but the novelization falls somewhat short in my opinion.
From the rushed job in writing and editing typical for movie tie-in's to the flat characters and corny dialogue passages there's a lot of stuff that didn't really work for me. Maybe it's the visuality of the story that just makes it flow better in a movie than in a novel.

Nonetheless, it's an entertaining read for fans of the merchandise.
Tomislav
Dies war mein fünftes Buch auf Deutsch. Letzes Jahr begann ich Science-Fiction Bücher auf Deutsch zu lesen, und dies war der schnellste für mich. Das ist eine neue spaß! - "Die Bedürfnisse der vielen sind wichtiger als die Bedürfnisse der wenigen, oder des einen." - "Leben Sie lange und glücklich." - "Nehmen Sie Kurs auf den zweiten Stern von rechts, und dann immer geradeaus, bis zum Morgen."
J.W. Braun
Either this book was based on a very early version of the screenplay or Nick Meyer heavily rewrote the screenplay just before filming began, because the book has lots of stuff that's not in the film, from extended dialogue to missing scenes. That doesn't make this better than the film; I like the polished dialogue more. But it does make it interesting to read. And Vonda's not a bad writer.
Brittney
I just don't know how I feel about this book. Maybe I should let it marinate for a while. It was fun and adventurous, but I feel a little unsatisfied. Like, that's it; but I haven't got mine yet. Not because it wasn't exciting; maybe because it was a little too predictable. I feel shameful because I did not cry.
Heather Domin
I was just thinking about which books to take with me on vacation, and I realized this one isn't in my GoodReads list. I know I've re-read it since I joined - how could I have forgotten to add it? It's only my favorite Trek book ever. (Well, combined with Search for Spock; I can't really separate them.)
John
Excellent classic Trek! Vonda N. McIntyre wrote the novelizations of movies 2, 3 and 4, and they are all excellent reading. She adds a lot of back-story and really makes the characters come alive. I think I'll read the others, since it's been 20 years or so since the last time.
Bill
I enjoyed this novel as much as the film. It was interesting to see where they contrasted. I'm not sure which came first, but this novel offers further in depth studies of the characters, which I enjoyed. There are more quotations from other novels than in the film as well.
Kathryn
Okay, I'll confess! This book made me cry! That NEVER happens with any of the books I read, and certainly not with movie adaptations. Very good job by the adapter; I think the book turned out a lot better than the movie it was based on.
Jonathan
Movie novels are not the best books but they can be fun. This was one of the fun ones. The best of the Star Trek movies and one of the best Star Trek novels I've read. That does not go for much though. This one was a fun guilty read.
Kate
Richard
Some classic lines here. essentially the novelization of the movie. Kirk vs. Khan. Shatner vs. Ricardo Montelban. The whole thing reeks of fine corinthian leather. Classic.
Ken French
Read this because I had nothing else at the beach. Enjoyable for fans of the movie since it gives a lot of extra background, particularly about Saavik.
Charles
This was definitely the best of the Star Trek movies with the original crew. The book stayed pretty close to the script and is also enjoyable.
  • Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #6)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • Time for Yesterday (Star Trek: The Yesterday Saga, #2)
  • The Pandora Principle
  • Doctor's Orders
  • Battlestations! (Star Trek: Fortunes Of War, #2)
  • The Kobayashi Maru
  • The Rift
  • Web of the Romulans
  • Prime Directive (Star Trek: Worlds in Collision, #2)
  • Star Trek 3
  • The Vulcan Academy Murders
  • Legacy
Vonda Neel McIntyre is a U.S. science fiction author. She is one of the first successful graduates of the Clarion Science fiction writers workshop. She attended the workshop in 1970. By 1973 she had won her first Nebula Award, for the novelette "Of Mist, and Grass and Sand." This later became part of the novel Dreamsnake, which won both the Hugo and Nebula Awards. The novelette and novel both conc...more
More about Vonda N. McIntyre...
Dreamsnake The Crystal Star (Star Wars) Enterprise: The First Adventure Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #3) The Entropy Effect