Start by marking “Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #4)” as Want to Read:
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #4)

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (Star Trek: The Original Series)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  984 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Admirál James T. Kirk je Klingonskou říší obviněn z krádeže klingonské vesmírné lodi a označen za teroristu a zločince. Federace proto Kirka a posádku zničené lodi Enterprise povolává zpět na Zemi před soud. Jejich cesta je ale přerušena, když se objeví záhadná, mimořádně silná vesmírná sonda, která okamžitě po příletu na oběžnou dráhu Země začíná sterilizovat zemský povrc ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 274 pages
Published December 1986 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek IV, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek IV

The Vulcan Academy Murders by Jean LorrahUhura's Song by Janet KaganSpock's World by Diane DuaneYesterday's Son by A.C. CrispinIshmael by Barbara Hambly
Best Star Trek The Original Series Books
20th out of 62 books — 51 voters
Gods of Night by David MackZero Sum Game by David MackCaretaker by L.A. GrafQ-In-Law by Peter DavidSurvivors by Jean Lorrah
Star Trek Novels
32nd out of 38 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Dale
Published in 1986 by Simon & Schuster
Read by Leonard Nimoy and George Takei
Duration: 90 minutes

I picked this audiobook up at a clearance book sale in the "who's going to want this stuff?" section. Mostly, it was serious junk. Educational software that only operates on Apple IIe, VHS copies of movies that I've never heard of starring some guy that was on some TV show that I barely remember and DVDs of some pastor's sermons on any number of topics (still in the plastic!). And, suddenly, I find
S. J.
Aug 09, 2012 S. J. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans, people who want to actually understand the movie
Recommended to S. by: The franchise
*3.5-4 Stars*

*The Gush*
I was not prepared to like this novel. I'm not a particular fan of the movie, it's ok but I felt it went against rules set out in the show and was basically a mess. A fun mess but a mess. Then I started reading the book and I was hooked. You don't even reach the beginning of the movie until 20 pages in because they are wrapping up stuff from the last movie and dealing with the aftermath of the fal-tor-pan (because duh, of course there would be consequences!). It goes on to
Daniel Kukwa
The most disappointing of Ms. McIntyre's Star Trek movie novelizations. She's obviously losing interest by this point, and you can see it in her inability to have as much fun with the plot and the character material as the film's actors and director. This was a light, comedic & triumphant movie...but Ms. McIntyre seems determined to downplay everything and not join in with the fun. Boo!
Kym Andrew Robinson
I went through a phase where any Star Trek audio book was fair game. This was consumed by me on several driving trips and while it was entertaining in the sense that it was better than generic radio it was by no means satisfactory compared to other Star Trek 'books on tape.'

The 'book' plays like a rushed attempt to broadly cover the movie and is at best dry and bland. I feel that this would be decent for young children or any one who is starting out on their audio book experience.

Over all this w
Scott Williams
I sometimes find movie novelizations quite entertaining. They are frequently based on early drafts of the screenplay that are subject to change. That is the case with this one. This book is an interesting artifact to analyze.

This novel includes some small subplots about 20th century characters which were probably removed from the screenplay before filming even began. There's also a tiny Sulu subplot that is kind of fun.

What this novelization lacks is the sense of humour that the final film has.
Gerd
It's Star Trek and it's a time travel story.
The first means that as a reader you have to put up with all those small inconsistencies in the STU that I never really got, like how these fantastic space travel speeds are supposed to work out - and how they keep from accidental time travel if all it takes _is_ speed.

The other means, looking for too much story logic is futile.

This said, I have my little niggles with the book, like a printers(?) error that turned Khan Singh into Khan Kingh, that hurts
Michael Hanscom
(This review applies equally to Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan, Star Trek III The Search for Spock, and Star Trek IV The Voyage Home.)

In a move that (if I remember correctly) was rather unusual for the time, the Star Trek franchise created three films that were direct sequels: each stands alone as its own story, but they also comprise three parts of one overarching story, with all the events taking place over the course of just a few months.

In a wonderful turn of events, author Vonda N. McIntyre
Hannah
Absolutely wonderful! Trek IV is my favorite of the films and I started reading the novelization hoping I would love the book just as much. I think I may like this version of the story even more than the movie! The book includes many extra scenes and interactions that were almost painfully absent from the film. It does a marvelous job of retelling the film's plot without seeming like a rehash. Despite having seen the film many times, the book felt fresh and exciting and was a joy to read.
Darrell Hoberer
This is the first novel I read because I want to do rather than had to for school. It was really a turning point for me. Funny thing is that it didn't even have a cover; I read it just because it was Star Trek and hadn't seen any of the movies at that point.
Diane
I listen to the abridged version from 1986, which I got on Audible. I didn't realize it was abridged when I bought it, but that's ok. This was excellently read and acted by George Takei with little vignettes by Leonard Nimoy. Takei even does a wonderful job imitating the accents and vocal cadence of the actors from the series. There are sound effects and music, which enhanced the experience. Since this was, in my opinion one of the weaker Star Trek movies I think I'm glad it was abridged althoug ...more
Timothy Boyd
Good book adaptation of the movie. Recommended
No date grade B+

Classic Movies Trek
Benjamin Duffy
I grabbed this at my local used bookstore because I remember liking McIntyre's novelizations of The Wrath of Khan and The Search for Spock, when I read them in my teens. I don't know whether it's just that I'm 20 years older (likely), or this one just isn't quite as good(possible), but it left me pretty flat. It was an entertaining two or three day read, but it didn't offer much beyond what was in the movie.

Insult to injury, I tried to sell it back a week after I bought it and they wouldn't take
Mary
Mar 18, 2008 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans
This book was a wonderful addition to the movie. One of my favorites.

Unlike most of the other Star Trek movies and novels, The Wrath of Khan, The Search for Spock, and The Voyage Home must be read/watched consecutively.
Barbara
It is one of the better books written about a movie. Most movies when written down don't read well because you miss the thoughtprocesses that normally are included in books. This book has those and more. It has some extra scenes that the movie didn't but were planned and other scenes that were accidental in the movie it doesn't have. So it isn't a 100 % the same but it isn't annoying. I like it a lot.
J.W. Braun
McIntyre stays closer to the screenplay for this novelization than she does for her novelizations of Star Trek II and Star Trek III, which is smart, because it's a great screenplay. That said, McIntyre throws in some boring stuff that's not in the screenplay every once in a while, slowing the story down and making it less enjoyable. Overall, however, this one is a fun book.
Els
Jul 06, 2013 Els rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Absolute die hard Trek fans.
Shelves: star-trek
This is my first Star Trek novel but it's not the first movie-to-book I've read. It's certainly better than other m-to-b's and it fills in some small gaps the movie had but I don't think it added drastically to the story. The book was still enjoyable and I liked that some of the funnier dialogue was kept but I wish that it had been a bit "more."
Lauren
My favorite book, and my favorite movie, as far as Star Trek movies go.

Funny stuff, Kirk and Spock trying to fit in on Earth. A rice-picking accident? I think not. ;)

The end, very intense. I was jumping up and down and yelling during the movie. In my opinion, the best Star Trek movie.
Izzy
Though it was fun to reread this book, based on one of my favorite Star Trek movies, I felt that the style of the book was a bit forced. I can forgive that, given how hard I know it can be to novelize a movie.
Lynne Stringer
I enjoyed this novelisation of my favourite Star Trek movie. Vonda McIntyre does a wonderful job at bringing the Star Trek characters to life. Recommended, especially if you liked the movie.
Zach Klinefelter
This is a mostly faithful adaptation of the popular film, with the additional scenes and more fleshed-out characterizations that I tend to like in a worthy novelization.
Heather Domin
I love Vonda McIntyre's novelizations. Her character voice is great, and her treatment of the David/Saavik storyline is one of my favorite Trek subplots ever.
Darrell
Nice novelization of the film by the same title. My copy happens to be autographed by James Doohan who played the iconic Engineer Montgomery Scott.
Charles
The book isn't badly written but the story just wasn't compelling to me. Not McIntyre's fault. It's a novelization.
Suzanna
A novelization of my favorite Star Trek movie! I had to read this when I found a copy.
Tammy
The most fun of the original Trek movies, even as a novelization.
John
Excellent conclusion to this "trilogy" by Vonda Mcintyre.
it was kind of weird
  • Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #6)
  • Final Frontier
  • The Wounded Sky
  • Yesterday's Son (Star Trek: The Yesterday Saga, #1)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Final Reflection (Star Trek: Worlds Apart, #1)
  • Rules of Engagement
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • Pawns and Symbols
  • The Tears of the Singers
  • The IDIC Epidemic
Vonda Neel McIntyre is a U.S. science fiction author. She is one of the first successful graduates of the Clarion Science fiction writers workshop. She attended the workshop in 1970. By 1973 she had won her first Nebula Award, for the novelette "Of Mist, and Grass and Sand." This later became part of the novel Dreamsnake, which won both the Hugo and Nebula Awards. The novelette and novel both conc ...more
More about Vonda N. McIntyre...

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 112 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire
  • Triangle
  • Web of the Romulans
Dreamsnake The Crystal Star (Star Wars) Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2) Enterprise: The First Adventure Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #3)