Start by marking “Search for Spock (Star Trek Movie 3): Search for Spock” as Want to Read:
Search for Spock (Star Trek Movie 3): Search for Spock

Search for Spock (Star Trek Movie 3): Search for Spock (Star Trek: The Original Series #17)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  1,211 ratings  ·  36 reviews
No One On The Enterprise Can Believe That Mr. Spock Is Gone! As the crew grieves for Mr. Spock, the awesome Genesis Device, now controlled by the Federation, has transformed an inert nebula into a new planet teeming with life. But Genisis can also destroy existing worlds.

The creators of the Device want it given freely to the Galaxy. But Starfleet Command fears that it will
Published November 1st 1990 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Search for Spock (Star Trek Movie 3), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Search for Spock (Star Trek Movie 3)

Michael Hanscom
(This review applies equally to Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan, Star Trek III The Search for Spock, and Star Trek IV The Voyage Home.)

In a move that (if I remember correctly) was rather unusual for the time, the Star Trek franchise created three films that were direct sequels: each stands alone as its own story, but they also comprise three parts of one overarching story, with all the events taking place over the course of just a few months.

In a wonderful turn of events, author Vonda N. McIntyre
Benjamin Duffy
This is what a novelization of a movie should be! It provides supporting detail and backstory, without making the story drag or contradicting the events of the film. Everything McIntyre does here enriches the story, and it's a different experience going back and watching the film again after reading this. It's extremely impressive how well the author fleshes out even minor characters, giving them depth, motivation and unique voices.

This was a rewarding read, as a stand-alone novel or as a compan
James Blakley
As a Trekkie--or a Trekker (to use the more politically-correct term)--I love just about all of the older versions of the Star Trek series. But my favorite movie (at least from The Old Series) is "Star Trek III: The Search For Spock." Not only did I enjoy the way the script flipped the moral concept of "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" (which was the theme of the previous entry "The Wrath of Khan"), but I thought the Star Trek universe itself was expanded. There were 2 new cl ...more
Jason
Not a real huge scifi fan. I mean there is some stuff I love, but guess you could say not a scifi fanatic. For the longest time did not care for any of the Star Trek movies/shows etc. At least for the fourth film. Always been my mother's most fav (Of old school Trek) so gotten use to that film. But over time started watcging through the Trek universe I guess you could say. Can't recall when I started on different books when I would find them.

Some of the books have been real great, and love the f
Surreysmum
[These notes were made in 1984:]. Based on the screenplay by Harvé Bennett. I read this after I saw the movie, so, as with STII, I had the experience of the story being added to, not stripped away. McIntyre has a way with these ST characters, and the details she adds tend to be both convincing and exciting. Sulu, for instance, is in line for the captaincy of the new Excelsior, and that adds great meaning to his sacrifice for the sake of Spock and Enterprise unity. McIntyre rejects some of the in ...more
S. J.
Jul 24, 2012 S. J. rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who had questions about the movie
*3 Stars* -though this is one of fav movies in the franchise

*The Gush...and the Rant too apparently*
I finished this days ago and have moved on to other books, so this will not be very extensive. I found the book...adequate. I really thought I'd enjoy it because it is one of my favorite movies but I enjoyed the book of the Motion Picture (which I hated) a 1000 times more. Maybe because the novel of the first movie answered questions and this one just gave me new ones. The only thing that I liked
Kati
It's been years since I saw the movie and I didn't remember anything about it. And so I could enjoy the book on its own merits, not just as a novelization.

The bits I liked? Kirk and how lonely he was without Spock. His determination to get his friend back even if it meant Spock might never remember him, might never know him again, even if it meant he might have to leave him on Vulcan. He just wanted to save his friend, to know he was okay. The twist with McCoy, that was lovely. It made the good
J.C.
I really wanted to give this four stars. Search For Spock is my favorite Trek film, so when I saw this at a bookstore I HAD to read it. In terms of movie novelizations, the writing was exactly how I expected it to be: flat, with mostly filler and summation to fill all the gaps between the script and the novel. The story holds well in this format however, with at least a dozen scenes not in the final film (one of the reasons i've given this a third star instead of two), which was a pleasant surpr ...more
Kristen
I didn't love it as much as the novelizations of ST:II or ST:IV but my god, the women in this book -- in all these McIntyre novelizations, really -- get to do and be SO MUCH MORE than in the movies. Saavik and David Marcus fall in love even though she has never loved or been loved by anyone ever before. She's also really angry with David for having created the Genesis device and there's this great moment where she tells him she can be angry at him and still love him. Carol Marcus actually contin ...more
Joshua Lemke
I remember watching Star Trek 3 and loving it. This is the only Star Trek movie I ever memorized all the words to.

Admiral Kirk: Mr. Scott?
Scotty: I'd be grateful Admiral, if you'd give the word.
Admiral Kirk: Gentlemen. May the wind be at our backs. Stations please.
Surya Teja
Emily Michelle
This book is a romance novel, based on Search for Spock, a romance movie
Melinda
It was a fun, quick read. I have always loved Star Trek.
Timothy Boyd
Good book adaptation of the movie. Recommended
John
1985 grade A-

Classic Movies Trek
Shiloh
I watched the movie just recently, and I found a copy of the book at a local used book store for a $1.00 to I picked it up and started reading it.

I loved it, as it really went into depth the characters and their feelings about the death of Spock, as well as brought in more history of characters which a person saw in the movie. I feel it was much better than the movie, because movies can only portray so much on screen.

I am glad that I read it, because now, I understand the movie better then I eve
Mary
Mar 18, 2008 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans
Very good book. Definitely one of my favorites! I love the interactions.

Unlike most of the other Star Trek movies and novels, The Wrath of Khan, The Search for Spock, and The Voyage Home must be read/watched consecutively.
Gerd
The writing leaves much to desired, especially the authors way of going over same events with each change in POV got annoying with time.
On the other hand the book offers scenes and sidelines not found in the movie.

For Trek fans.

Edit after seeing the movie again:
I have to say I prefer how McIntyre presents the Klingons as honourbound warrior caste, over the movies presentation of them as bloodthirsty, cowardly morons.
Melanie
Jan 06, 2008 Melanie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Melanie by: Public library - withdrawn section
This is the book that introduced me to everything Star Trek: Original Series. And I nearly didn't buy it. 50 cents changed the course of my life.

Typically, I picked up something in the middle of a series. And then had to backtrack. And then keep going.
And then, for better or worse, I was hooked. Movies, series trivia, production history, fiction.

I still, occasionally, binge.
Lynne Stringer
As movie novelisations go, I think Vonda McIntyre does a good job. She is able to flesh out what was seen onscreen, which is a requirement for a good movie to book adaptation. Many simply write only what was onscreen, and I find this rarely hits the mark with me. This one was certainly better than average.
Charles
This was a very mediocre adaptation. A lot of unnecessary scenes were thrown in just to pad the book. I appreciate extra material as I don't want an adaption to read just like a screenplay, but these added scenes seemed pretty superfluous.
Daniel Kukwa
Vonda McIntyre's second novelization isn't "quite" as epic as her work on the previous film...but it does come with some satisfying follow-up, and maintains a powerfully dark atmosphere throughout. A pity the book cover is so abysmal.
Michael Taylor
I only wish that they could have filmed the entire movie from the book. The story is more well rounded and a number of scenes that didn't make it into the final movie are very good and I'm glad to have read them.
June
Jul 15, 2008 June rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any Trekkie of any age
Read this one while waiting for daughter to have Gamma Knife surgery. Felt just like the movie! It was a Star Trek novel, for heaven's sake, what more can be said about it? You either love Star Trek or you don't.
J.W. Braun
McIntyre loads this book up with a lot things that aren't in the film, but these things just slow the story down and don't add any interest. Still, the story is good and the book is okay.
Nicolas
This was much more than a novelization. The first hundred pages or so were completely new. The rest served to fill in and expand the plot of the film. It was really well done.
Troy Rodgers
I love the movie, but for some reason the novel is completely out of order. For example, the Captain's Log that opens the film is halfway into this book.
Jana Babáčková
Sorry, but The Search for Spock is my best ST movie ever, so the rating for this book is qite influenced by this fact. The classic, go and read it.
John
Vonda at her trekking best. Augments the movie very nicely and makes you want more. One to "The Voyage Home"!
Ronald Wilcox
Very good novelization of the movie; actually better than the movie. Suspenseful and engaging story.
  • Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #5)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Vulcan Academy Murders
  • The Rift
  • The Tears of the Singers
  • Corona
  • Dreams of the Raven
  • A Flag Full of Stars (Star Trek: The Lost Years, #2)
Vonda Neel McIntyre is a U.S. science fiction author. She is one of the first successful graduates of the Clarion Science fiction writers workshop. She attended the workshop in 1970. By 1973 she had won her first Nebula Award, for the novelette "Of Mist, and Grass and Sand." This later became part of the novel Dreamsnake, which won both the Hugo and Nebula Awards. The novelette and novel both conc ...more
More about Vonda N. McIntyre...

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 112 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire
  • Triangle
  • Web of the Romulans
Dreamsnake The Crystal Star (Star Wars) Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2) Enterprise: The First Adventure The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)

“James T Kirk: Mr.Scott. Have you always multiplied your repair estimates by a factor of four?
Montgomery Scott: Certainly, Sir. How else can I keep my reputation as a miracle worker?”
3 likes