Start by marking “Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married” as Want to Read:

Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  29,132 ratings  ·  577 reviews
Lucy Sullivan is getting married
or is she?
Lucy doesn't even have a boyfriend. (To be honest, she isn't that lucky in love.) But Mrs. Nolan-a local psychic-has read her tarot cards and predicted that Lucy will be walking down the aisle within the year.

Lucy's roommates, Karen and Charlotte, are appalled at the news. If Lucy leaves it could disrupt their wonderful lifestyle o
Published June 6th 2000 by Avon (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married

Rebecca
Keyes' 2nd book, I think and after reading this one, I definitely do NOT want to read her first book. This book was horrible. I hated the protag so much I just wanted to reach in and strangle her. I hate women like this so so so much.

Lucy and her co-workers go to a psychic after work on day and she tells them all one thing and she tells Lucy that she will get married in a year. Turns out currently, Lucy has no boyfriend. Within a week, all the predictions that the psychic gave to her co-workers
Janelle
Delicious. I can’t think of any other word to use other than delicious.

Before this book, I would have declared myself a hardcore chick-lit fan. I can rattle of a list of writers from both the US and the UK. I can take pictures of my shelves showing rows and rows of chick-lit novels. I can preach to you about how I love the way Megan Crane speaks to women my age, the way Jennifer Crusie speaks to women my size, the way Jill Mansell makes me dream of the UK and all it has to offer. I was convinced
Namratha
I liked this book…I really did. 740-pages strong, it had a right blend of eccentricities, romance, predictability and enough icky-moments to keep me hooked.

Lucy Sullivan is a typical Londoner. Twenty-six years old, she is burdened with a dysfunctional family, a dead-end job, an anal-retentive boss, a medley of demented colleagues, flat mates who totter on the thin line between heaven and hell AND a love-life that’s riddled with enough potholes to make you dizzy.

And then a tarot-reader proclaim
Katrina
Booksutd
Dec 25, 2012 Booksutd rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of chick lit
First, a confession – a confession which will, conceivably, invalidate my entire review. I hate chick lit. There, I’ve said it. I avoid pink covers like the plague. I’m a chick, and I like lit, but the genre commonly known as ‘chick lit’ – can’t stand it. I find it patronising. Men, shopping and diets – is this all women are supposed to be interested in? Couldn’t we have a novel about a 20- or 30-something woman struggling to unravel the meaning of life, or pursuing her lifelong dream of excavat ...more
vorbore
Uci
Lucy, Lucy, Lucy....what can I say about Lucy?

Sejujurnya, hampir sepanjang buku ini saya membenci Lucy. Dan menyalahkan dia atas semua kesialan yang menimpanya, lha wong dia sendiri yang minta kok.

Coba simak kutipan berikut ini:
Aku tak dapat membayangkan ada hal yang lebih membosankan daripada berkencan dengan pria yang memiliki gaji tetap, pria yang berhati-hati dengan uangnya, pria yang tahu bagaimana cara hidup agar tidak lebih besar pasak daripada tiang. Aku menganggap ketidakstabilan keua
(´*•.¸ღBexღ¸.•*´)
The title character of this book, Lucy Sullivan, is a 26-year old single Irish woman living in London. As the story opens, Lucy and 3 co-workers pay a visit to Mrs. Nolan, who is supposedly a "real" psychic. Initially, Lucy laughs off Mrs. Nolan's prediction that she will be married within the year (18 months at the outside), but when Mrs. Nolan's predictions seem to start coming true for her friends, she begins to wonder. When she meets Gus, an eccentric but fun partygoer, Lucy is almost certai ...more
Lauren
Apr 02, 2008 Lauren rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Andrea
I loved this book. I laughed with Lucy and I felt sad for her disappointments. Most of all, I enjoyed Keyes' writing style. Her chatty style made me feel as if I was conversing with a friend. Just like some of my real life friends, I sometimes wanted to bop her on the head and tell her to get a reality check, but that's one of the great things about this book - Lucy is an honest, real life person with real life flaws (and an addiction to pop psychology and men who treat her badly).

The book is a
This book has gotten a bad rap in the reviews on here, but I really liked it. Yes, I knew who the mystery man groom to be was going to be very early on, but who cares. Krystal, I agree that watching her develop (my only beef was that she was 26 and it seemed like this development should have happened earlier in life, but that's just me being judgemental). You can see her slowly change her attitude about herself, the men in her life, how she should be treated. There's a turning point I love in a ...more
Emily
I know, I know, it's total chick lit and maybe I should go easy on it...but nah. That said, there were a few things about this book I liked. First of all, it made me laugh out loud a few times. However, now that I know Keyes is capable of hilarity, I would have liked it to happen more often, since the book is absurdly long. I also liked that Lucy was not portrayed as being a totally normal girl-- she's dealt with depression throughout her life. Although the plot is totally predictable, it's fun ...more
Ms. Miller
Mar 06, 2008 Ms. Miller rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mrs. Graham
I remember finishing this book, and staring at the last period on the last page saying to myself, "I WANT TO KEEP READING!" It was refreshingly funny, and although it was over 500 pages, it was such a light and quick read. As soon as I began this book, I said, "I am Lucy Sullivan...."
Corrie
I know I've read them out of order, but if you've read Sushi for Beginners you can pretty well give this book a miss (or vice versa)
, as they're nearly identical:

-aging failure with men has office job she hates and suffers from depression.
-Less attractive than her friends and has a strained relationship with her family.
-Finds herself linked romantically with "the man of her dreams", a performer (comedian, musician).
-gets treated like garbage by lout boyfriend and more attractive friends.
-comes t
Sam Still Reading
Sep 05, 2009 Sam Still Reading rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those looking for a better type of chicklit
Recommended to Sam Still Reading by: bought a '2 for 1' book
This is pretty good chick lit. Yes, it is kind of predictable but you enjoy the ride. Chocolate for the brain.

Lucy is a single girl, living in London with her flatmates and visits a psychic who tells her she's getting married. When her friends' predictions come true, well, Lucy must be getting married. Enter Gus, who must be one of the most annoying characters in English fiction in my opinion. Lucy Lavan sounds so good, so she must be marrying Gus, yes? Of course not, we're only halfway through
Suhasini
This book was way too lengthy for my attention span. Halfway through the book & I've already given up on it... The protagonist Lucy Sullivan has too much insecurities about herself, & that became boring after a while....

(view spoiler)
Alex Brocone
I think it's obvious while reading this novel that it was one of Marian Keyes' first. It is a cute book, very funny at times, but the writing style can be irritating all the way through. I am a big Marian Keyes fan, but definitely prefer her later books, which have characters that are easy to identify with, and normally include some great plot twists. This is a light, entertaining read, but it's still a bit irritating.
Rachel
There is a fine line between making a character lovably neurotic and making them unbearable and impossible to empathize with. This book falls into the latter category.
Huma
I was in a mood for something different after reading the phenomenal legal thriller Sycamore Row so I picked up this 600 pages long chick-lit from my shelf. I ordinarily don't buy chick-lit books because I'd rather buy mysteries and thrillers, which I absolutely love reading. This book came from a box of some 25 assorted books which my father bought for me from a whole-sale market for just Rs. 2000.

SPOILERS Ahead. Consider yourself warned!!

Lucy Sullivan is the worst type of heroine you can rea
Anna
This book was too cute. Of course it was predictable (I don't think people pick up chick-lit to be amazed by the unpredictability of it... I know I do because I want a simple, light read), but the point of it was to go through Lucy's life and her romantic disappointments, and most of all, to make us laugh (which Keyes does, and constantly).

Lucy Sullivan and her friends from work (who, alongside her roommate Charlotte are some of the best and funniest characters on the book) visit a psychic, who
Leslie
Jul 24, 2010 Leslie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people that can put up with painfully self-destructive characters
Sub_zero
3/5

Aunque tenía bastantes ganas de reencontrarme con alguna de las disparatadas y divertidísimas historias de Marian Keyes, lo cierto es que la lectura de este libro me ha resultado francamente decepcionante. Lucy Sullivan se casa no es ni mucho menos una mala novela, pero en comparación con otros trabajos posteriores (que por suerte o por desgracia son los primeros que he ido leyendo) se nota que la escritora irlandesa aún tenía demasiadas cosas por aprender. Con su habitual pero poco pulido to
Amanda
I scanned the summary of this book and was going to pass until I read the last paragraph and realized it might would be interesting to read how boyfriend-less Lucy would make it down the aisle within a year. Also, as I am currently reading Stephen King’s Under the Dome, I decided I could take a break and read something light.

Upon meeting Gus, I instantly fell in love. I kept hoping he would straighten up and things would work out for him and Lucy. Early in the book, it was obvious who she would
Devil
When you have a book with 740 pages, it's not a very good sign that you can guess the whole story by page 35. Yes, when I read: "Daniel was my friend and, while he was the closest thing that I had to a steady man in my life, I wouldn't have become emotionally involved with him if the future of the human race depended on it." I could have stopped there and moved on.
But I didn't, so I endured 700 more pages of predictable merry-go-round chicklit. I'll seriously ponder before I pick another one of
Heather
I used to like reading Marian Keyes but this time I was a little disappointed. Whilst the underlying storyline was reasonable - Lucy Sullivan moving through a string of failed relationships with men displaying similar behaviour to her alcoholic father and her inability to see either situation for what it is then her eventual awakening to the truth; the characters themselves were more than irritating so I wanted to skim read large parts. I will try another Keyes at some stage but I don't recommen ...more
Dor
As I believe I've mentioned, I have an ARC of Marian Keyes' new book, The Woman Who Stole My Life, but because it's not out until Novemeber, other ARCs are getting read first. In preparation, I decided to reaquaint myself with whatever the Library had of Keyes' older novels: Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married is Keyes' second book, first published in 1995.

Lucy Sullivan is what would later become the typical Chick Lit heroine - 20 something, office job, boyfriend woes; likes drinking, fashion and s
carrietracy
Beyond dull and predictable. I kept feeling like I'd read it before, but then coming across something I knew I would have remembered. All that tells me is that this book is so similar to every other chicklit bit of fluff out there that it really isn't worth wasting your time on. Also, the main character was naive, shrill, downright stupid and oblivious. It's hard to get into a book when you don't care about the character you're supposed to be rooting for.
Asti
In the first chapters it was a great laugh, and I really enjoyed it.
Marian Keyes certainly has her way in telling tragic comedy. Like 'Watermelon', one of things this book tells you is how to laugh about yourself. (Too bad for me, her later books tends to be a bit darker. Or may be just less ridiculousness?)
Lucy (and her friends too) is an average silly girl who doesn't know what's good for herself. Just like any other person in this planet I would say.

But then the book started to get annoying
C
May 28, 2007 C rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one really
this book was a disappointment. I started in thinking it was going to be fluff, but bad fluff is horrible and that's what this book was. I seriously disliked the main character and there was much too much time spent on her whinging and sulking about. The ending was happy, but it was totally obvious from halfway through the 680+ pages. This book was way too long for its content and was not a best effort.
Rainbow
So ... I'm definitely going to read every Marian Keyes book ever written because she's flat-out delightful even when isn't absolutely awesome. This narrator was hard for me to warm to -- I think she's supposed to be that way.

The best thing I can say about Marian Keyes is, when someone falls in love in one of her books (and someone always does) it's completely satisfying.
Elin
While reading this book I could have sworn I'd already read it. Of course I hadn't but it was just so predictable and typical chick-lit, read one and you've read them all.

Yes, sometimes you need an easy read but this one was just too easy.
  • One-Hit Wonder
  • Always and Forever
  • The Waitress
  • Amanda's Wedding
  • Asking for Trouble
Marian Keyes, born September 10, 1963, is a popular Irish writer, considered to be one of the original progenitors of "chick lit". Keyes' first novel, Watermelon, was published in Ireland in 1995. Since then she has published seven further novels and two collections of non-fiction, and has sold 15 million copies of her books in 30 languages.

More about Marian Keyes...
Watermelon (Walsh Family, #1) Sushi for Beginners Rachel's Holiday (Walsh Family, #2) Anybody Out There? (Walsh Family, #4) The Other Side of the Story

“It was ironic, really - you want to die because you can't be bothered to go on living - but then you're expected to get all energetic and move furniture and stand on chairs and hoist ropes and do complicated knots and attach things to other things and kick stools from under you and mess around with hot baths and razor blades and extension cords and electrical appliances and weedkiller. Suicide was a complicated, demanding business, often involving visits to hardware shops.

And if you've managed to drag yourself from the bed and go down the road to the garden center or the drug store, by then the worst is over. At that point you might as well just go to work.”
274 likes
“I had spent my whole life feeling homesick. The only difference between the two of us was that I didn't know what or where home was.” 117 likes