Start by marking “Finding My Balance: A Memoir with Yoga” as Want to Read:
Finding My Balance: A Memoir with Yoga

Finding My Balance: A Memoir with Yoga

Stardom, thanks to Woody Allen and his film Manhattan, came at an early age...but so did the problems of a broken and dysfunctional family. Yet in a life so out of kilter, Mariel Hemingway summoned the strength and inner resolve that enabled her to find -- and to keep -- her balance.
In Finding My Balance, actress Mariel Hemingway uses the lessons and practices of yoga as
Published July 1st 2004 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Finding My Balance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding My Balance

Dina Sherwood
Jul 22, 2015 Dina Sherwood rated it really liked it
For some reason, I couldn't put this book down. Yoga was a very minor part of this book but her personal stories and growth were fascinating.
Jacqueline115
I appreciate reading stories about child stars not succumbing to drug abuse or see their life spiral downwards. While this isn't the best biography I've read, it is still entertaining and gives you an inside look on her dysfunctional family.
Katherine
Oct 11, 2010 Katherine rated it really liked it
I enjoyed Mariel Hemingway's authenticity of her life. Her way of tying challenging situations in her life to a specific yoga asana inspired me to deepen my own yoga practice.
Gina
Feb 18, 2010 Gina rated it really liked it
This book is so simple, and so personal. I felt like I related to Mariel on a lot of levels. Touching and quick read.
Colleen ~
May 17, 2010 Colleen ~ rated it it was ok
I love yoga. I've been practicing yoga on and off for over three years, but only in the past 6 months have I become truly dedicated to it as a lifestyle and happily embraced the changes it has propagated in both my mindset and daily routines.
I'm also a sucker for a good memoir, so I was excited when I stumbled across this book at UT's library. The first few chapters I read eagerly, anticipating some musings I'd be able to adopt as new mantras, but as a literary piece I found it disappointing. M
Heather Davis
Jun 22, 2015 Heather Davis rated it really liked it
Good for people who practice yoga and for others just looking for life balance. Mariel's life experiences and struggles trying to meet other's expectations was a good reminder of what we need to do to care for ourselves.
Lynn Diane
I liked this book and its author. I'm fascinated by most things Hemingway. Mariel escaped the supposed "suicide curse" and I have wondered why. This book is not only interesting memoir, but it's full of great yoga stuff (a special interest of mine).
Nancy
Apr 09, 2012 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lesli
I didn't have great hopes for this book when I saw it on the $1 table at Bradley's Books a couple of months ago. I am usually not a big fan on memoirs, often finding them poorly written and self-serving. (One thing that did "bother" me, was Hemingway's frequent use of "To this day...") But, perhaps because of the yoga tie-in, I did enjoy this book. Each chapter starts with a yoga asana, leading into a story from Hemingway's life. It was an easy read; I finished it in one day, and not a day when ...more
Intentional Jen
Jan 23, 2016 Intentional Jen rated it liked it
I felt like the yoga didn't fit with the rest of the story, but it was interesting to read about the Hemingway family.
Amber
Dec 07, 2014 Amber rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
Beautiful, insightful, inspiring, and ultimately uplifting.
Summer Reading
Emilie H
Angie
May 10, 2009 Angie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting memoir of actress and yoga instructor Mariel Hemingway, granddaughter of Ernest and sister of Margeaux. Each chapter begins with a single yoga pose and she delves into the ins and outs of the pose and with it a story of her life that intertwines lovely with the pose. She goes into her turbulent childhood, her modest acting resume, and some crazy eating habits. It kept my attention and I found her story to be a relaxing and uplifting read.
Melinda
Interesting, helpful in understanding her life, but not helpful in practicing yoga except for a few pages in the back. It's a biography in snippets related to different poses. It would possibly be more helpful if I practiced yoga and knew what the poses felt like.

It did encourage me to get my foot cleared up so I could try yoga.
adrienna
May 18, 2009 adrienna rated it liked it
I like the connection of the poses to her life. I find it easy to disconnect the physical act of yoga with the spiritual. I'm not really spiritual myself, but I like reading about people who are. A triangle pose isn't just a pain in the ass; it has deeper meaning. Maybe someday I'll find it.
Susan
Jul 13, 2015 Susan rated it liked it
Mariel Hemingway intertwines her yoga practice with her life story. Each chapter begins by describing how she enters into one yoga posture and then links the pose to a chapter of her life. Her yoga practice has helped her "find balance" through daily meditation.
katie
Oct 23, 2007 katie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: everyone who likes yoga
Shelves: favs
It is ann intense biography. Mariel hemingway is a brilliant author just like a vision of her grandfather! It represents harmony and peace ,but at the same time excitment and humor. if you like biographys this is the book for you.
Devon
Jul 09, 2012 Devon rated it it was ok

The description of yoga was the best I've ever read - I learned more about poses than I have in any yoga class. But holy moly, she cannot write well enough about her life to make this a good book.
Amy
Mar 10, 2009 Amy rated it really liked it
this book really struck a chord with me. i could relate to a lot of things she wrote about. i am so in love with yoga and it's healing touch. not everyone will enjoy this, but i did.
Judy
Jun 06, 2012 Judy rated it it was amazing
Exceptional memoir. Hemingway finds a way to center her life, which complicated by family history, tragedy and her profession.
Amy Sjoquist
Good book but I was getting burnt out from just reading another of hers that I skimmed the last 50 pages or so.
Amanda
Mar 29, 2012 Amanda rated it did not like it
Waste of money and time. Ernest's talent obviously skipped this (self-absorbed) woman.
Stephanie
Aug 29, 2011 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
I read this during jury duty and it surely kept me sane through the week long ordeal!
Samantha
Feb 15, 2008 Samantha rated it really liked it
Again, I love Mariel. My only complaint is I wish this had written more.
Joe Visconti
Sep 03, 2012 Joe Visconti rated it really liked it
A thoughtful and insightful story about her love of yoga and her life
Joanne
Oct 08, 2013 Joanne rated it it was amazing
wonderful story ! great information & details about yoga
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Ann
Ann rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Stretch: The Unlikely Making of a Yoga Dude
  • The Run-Walk-Run Method
  • Past Lives of the Rich and Famous
  • Notes on a Cowardly Lion: The Biography of Bert Lahr, With a New Preface by the Author
  • Abraham Lincoln in the Kitchen: A Culinary View of Lincoln's Life and Times
  • Perfect Ending: Why Christ's Imminent Return Matters to You
  • Willing to Walk on Water: Step Out in Faith and Let God Work Miracles Through Your Life
  • The New Rules of Lifting For Life: An All-New Muscle-Building, Fat-Blasting Plan for Men and Women Who Want to Ace Their Midlife Exams
  • Mind Whispering: A New Map to Freedom from Self-Defeating Emotional Habits
  • Insight Yoga
  • Back Care Basics: A Doctor's Gentle Yoga Program for Back and Neck Pain Relief
  • Yoga The Spirit And Practice Of Moving Into Stillness
  • Yoga for Wellness: Healing with the Timeless Teachings of Viniyoga
  • The Smart Woman's Guide to Planning for Retirement: How to Save for Your Future Today
  • Yoga Nidra
  • Debt Free For Life: The Finish Rich Plan for Financial Freedom
  • Yoga for Depression: A Compassionate Guide to Relieve Suffering Through Yoga
  • Awaken the Spirit Within: 10 Steps to Ignite Your Life and Fulfill Your Divine Purpose
Mariel Hemingway (born Mariel Hadley Hemingway November 22, 1961) is an American actress and author. She began acting at age 16 in a breakout role in Lipstick and is best known for her roles in Manhattan (for which she received an Oscar nomination), Star 80, and Superman IV: The Quest for Peace.

She has starred in and co-produced videos about yoga and holistic living. She published a memoir in 2002
More about Mariel Hemingway...