Start by marking “Exorcising Hitler: The Occupation and Denazification of Germany” as Want to Read:
Exorcising Hitler: The Occupation and Denazification of Germany

Exorcising Hitler: The Occupation and Denazification of Germany

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  204 ratings  ·  39 reviews
The collapse of the Third Reich in 1945 was an event nearly unprecedented in history. Only the fall of the Roman Empire fifteen hundred years earlier compares to the destruction visited on Germany. The country's cities lay in ruins, its economic base devastated. The German people stood at the brink of starvation, millions of them still in POW camps. This was the starting p ...more
Published May 10th 2011 by Bloomsbury Press (first published March 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Exorcising Hitler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Exorcising Hitler

Wanda
This book is an extremely well written and accessible history of the aftermath of WW II in Germany and what that country experienced on the road to "normality." This was truly a fascinating read, and very well written. I learned a good deal that I had known only through a great deal of the U.S. post WW II narrative, that conveniently glossed over the poor actions of some of the U.S. G.I.s and the attitude of many in the U.S. spearheaded by Robert Morgenthau (FDR's Secy of Treasury) that was puni ...more
David Lowther
This is a terrific book which deals with the collapse of Germany in the immediate aftermath of the defeat of the Third Reich in 1945. Although the Russian sector is frequently mentioned, the main emphasis is on what happened in the zones of occupation governed by Great Britain and the United States.

The narrative ends more or less with the end of denazification and the beginnings of self-government in 1947. There is, however, an excellent epilogue which takes the reader through the establishment
Riet
"Al weer" een boek over de tweede wereldoorlog, maar dit keer toch anders, omdat het gaat over de afwikkeling van de "vrede" na de nederlaag van de Duitsers. Ik had daar nog niet veel over gelezen en in dit boek kom ik veel tegen waar ik niets van wist. Het was in ieder geval een uiterst rommelige periode en lang niet alles liep zoals het moest.
Vooral de laksheid bij het de-nazificatie programma valt op. Nieuw voor mij was het gedrag van de Fransen zo kort na de oorlog. Zij hadden toch zelf ook
victor harris
Outstanding. Likely the best book on the Occupation I have read. Untangles the intricate diplomatic, political, and social dimensions that made DeNazification such a complex undertaking. Excellent commentary on Nuremberg Trials, the food crises, and the territorial squabbling in the post-war.
Shannon
Not what I was expecting from either the title or the jacket blurb, but still interesting. Apparently, the word, "denazification" does not mean, "changing people's attitudes so that they don't allow a repeat of totalitarianism in their country". Rather, it appears to mean, "making certain the nazis can't get jobs or participate in government again." This seems rather short-sighted to me, but then that's from my late 20th century perspective, I guess. This is an easy-to-read book - you barely not ...more
Andy
After reading an epic amount about Nazi Germany this year, the thing that I kept searching for was something that broke out what the allies did after they occupied. This book did the trick, it outlines the politics and the social aspects of the occupation and backs up the harshness of the Russians at the time that were only briefly mentioned in other titles I read.

When you compare how our leaders then handled things compared to how we handled Iraq it becomes quite striking.
Michael Flanagan
Ever wanted to know what happened in Germany after the years that followed the end of World War II. What happened to the countless Nazi party members, the men who bank rolled the Reich, the everyday soldier and citizens then this book is for you. The author deliver an easy read book covering all the political intrigue and the day to day life in post war Germany. The birth of the cold war is also well covered in this intriguing book.
Stephen Graham
I'm not really the target audience for this work; I've read too many of Taylor's sources. In terms of being an English-language survey of the transition from war to peace and the immediate post-war occupation, it does a reasonably good job. There are some works that are missing from the bibliography: Bessel's Germany 1945: From War to Peace and Pritchard's The Making of the GDR, 1945-53 seem to be the notable ones in English. Some of the memory studies on the treatment of the Nazi past would als ...more
Converse
Taylor's book is mainly about the political history of the Allied occupation of Germany, particularly its de-Nazification efforts. The military and political events just before and after the cessation of hostilities is also covered. Most of the material is about events in the American and British zones of occupation, with much less on the events in the Soviet and French zones. He actually starts the narrative in the years before the occupation of Germany, when a common occupation policy was atte ...more
Ron
This was a terrific read (listen), very engaging. I learned a lot about those precarious few years in which Germany went from a conquered land to a divided land more or less in control of its own destiny. Very interesting to see how attitudes of at least the Western occupiers softened over time. Taylor has loads of anecdotes which make the history vivid.

That said, I felt the story was incomplete. Taylor gives short shrift to the denazification story. He is correct instating that the effort was h
Abraham Gustavson
I picked up Exorcising Hitler because I knew a lot about the Second World War, but not much about the years spent by the Allies putting Germany back together again. I was glad I did. The book focuses on the immediate aftermath of the war from the downfall of Germany in 1944 to around 1946. Taylor uses primary sources from ordinary Germans to really put the reader in an average German's perspective. Topics such as the Great Trek of Germans westward into the Western Allies' hands away from the Sov ...more
James (JD) Dittes
Taylor sheds light into a time and a place and a struggle that mattered little in the rest of the world: the plight of Germany between the end of World War 2 and the creation of West and East Germany. No one sympathized with the land of Hitler, no one cared about starvation, rape, malnutrition, hardship.

What the world did care about was finding Nazis, and the surviving Germans played a game of cat-and-mouse. The world didn't want to give; Germany didn't necessarily want to turn over its own peop
Pctrollbreath
Hidden behind what looks like a very dry and technical title lies a vety well written easy to read book.

The style of writing is a low jargon and easy to understand explanation, without at any point talking down to you, or sacrificing depth. This makes it both an entertaining and informative read.

This is a period of history of which I don't know a great deal, and this book toppled quite a few of my pre-conceptions. I found the information on the French sector to be a bit of an eye opener, and was
Steve Donoghue
A very smart and essentially optimistic look at the Allied efforts to scrub Hitler and Nazism out of a thoroughly defeated Germany. Here's my full review: http://www.openlettersmonthly.com/boo...
E
A great primer on a subject I knew almost nothing about aside from the Berlin airlift. It shed a substantial amount of light on this period in history. I found myself wishing for greater focus on the psychological process of both individuals as well as the country coming to grips with, and letting go of, their horrific past, however, which was what attracted me to this book in the first place. I find the process of reckoning with the past to be endlessly fascinating, so any recommendations to th ...more
Graf
Aug 22, 2013 Graf rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: nf
While a large number of titles about World War II in Europe have been published, very few cover what happened after the shooting stopped, and most of those books are about the Berlin Airlift. In this book, Taylor tells the story of the fate of Germany as the war drew to a close and the Americans, British, French, and Russians moved into and began governing their zones of occupation. The hardships the Germans dealt with as they began to rebuild their shattered country are startling. Of particular ...more
arjuna
Interesting broad depiction of Allied behaviour in Germany at the close of WW2 - definitely readable, and interesting enough that it makes one want to follow it up in more detail. An enjoyable dip into unfamiliar territory - particularly interesting read in juxtaposition with Kynaston's social history of immediately postwar Britain (Austerity Britain) - we are seldom encouraged to think about how life must have been on either side, immediately afterwards.
Lisa
Very interesting read that picks up where most history of WWII leaves off- the aftermath. Despite the title, only a couple chapters deal with the formal denazification process, as most focuses on the challenges facing the Allies in administering conquered Germany and how they dealt with them. The last chapter, in which the author essentially hit 'fast forward' to condense postwar German history from the early 50s to present day, felt tacked on, but the rest of the book was excellent.
Victor R.
This is an excellent take on what happened in Germany immediately after the third reich's demise. Very informative literature on the Allied's dealings with the occupied country and its people.
Susan Paxton
Several books on the occupation of Germany have come out lately; this is actually one of the more readable ones although all have something to offer. The process was not as orderly as we've been led to believe; it was brutal and ugly, and incredibly led to a powerful, peaceful German state.
Rae
The aftermath of war is always messy and unexpected--even when planned for. Taylor examines many aspects of the end of World War Two. I would have liked a bit more about the actual denazification process. Although this is in the subtitle, I didn't feel like he tackled it enough. Good read.
Anne Alexander
A story less told than that of World War II itself, this is an outstanding account of the difficulties of an occupier - especially when that occupier is actually the armies of 4 different nations with vastly divergent goals. Extremely well written.
Mike
A very readable look at the differences between the occupation policies of the four allies between 1944 and 1949. Taylor has an eye for the right incident and "Exorcising Hitler" is filled with many that will stay with the reader.
Jen
A long and rather tedious read; I wanted to get a sense of what it was like to live in post-war Germany in Hitler's shadow, but this read more like a survey of what Germans were doing rather than what they were thinking.
Amanda
Though a bit rushed at the end, this was a fascinating read. Taylor put a lot of pieces together for me, and I felt consistently that his judgments were fair and based on historical evidence.
Terry
Very readable discussion of the occupation of Post-World War II Germany and the effects (or lack of effects) of the denazification program of the Allies.
Snowfalcon
A good read exploring a part of World War II history that gets little more than a few paragraphs in many books.

Makes interesting a very grim subject.
Matthew
Excellent, the mix of historical and personal accounts is highly informative and educational.
B Kevin
Interesting discussion of the early post war occupation of Germany, and attempts at 'reeducation.
Beth
Learned a ton. Great writting.
  • After the Reich: The Brutal History of the Allied Occupation
  • Berlin at War: Life and Death in Hitler's Capital, 1939-45
  • The End: The Defiance and Destruction of Hitler's Germany 1944-45
  • Germany 1945: From War to Peace
  • Endgame, 1945: The Missing Final Chapter of World War II
  • Savage Continent: Europe in the Aftermath of World War II
  • The Perfect Nazi: Uncovering My Grandfather's Secret Past and How Hitler Seduced a Generation
  • Hitler's Empire: How the Nazis Ruled Europe
  • The Long Night: William L. Shirer and the Rise and Fall of the Third Reich
  • Lenin, Stalin, and Hitler: The Age of Social Catastrophe
  • The Third Reich: A New History
  • The Wages of Destruction: The Making and Breaking of the Nazi Economy
  • The Third Reich in Power (The History of the Third Reich, #2)
  • No Greater Ally: The Untold Story of Poland's Forces in World War II
The Berlin Wall: A World Divided, 1961-1989 Dresden The Downfall of Money: Germany's Hyperinflation and the Destruction of the Middle Class Auf Wiedersehen, Pet Auf Wiedersehen, Pet 2

“The Long Telegram’.” 0 likes
“raving maniacs, half paralysed with hunger and fear’. In collaboration with an UNRRA team, the soldiers took over a former Napola School at Feldafing, drafted many of its German staff, including cooks and medical personnel, and turned it into a refugee camp, with a nearby hotel requisitioned as hospital accommodation. The number of inmates rapidly grew to some 4,000. By the end of May 1945, the camp had experienced its first survivor wedding and those in the hospital – now moved to a former monastery – had been treated to a concert by the Kovno Ghetto orchestra, dressed in their striped concentration-camp pyjamas.” 0 likes