Hometown Tales

Hometown Tales (Porch Talk series #3)

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  197 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Stories from a Place That Feels Like Home

Master storyteller Philip Gulley envelops readers in an almost forgotten world of plainspoken and honest small-town values, evoking a simpler time when people knew each other by name, folks looked out for their neighbors, and people were willing to do what was right—no matter the cost.

When Philip Gulley began writing newsletter essa...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Hometown Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hometown Tales

Kim
This was a little book that was quite delightful! It is written by a Quaker minister and the stories are humorous and sometimes inspiring. It is like a "real" version of the Mitford series. It is such a quick easy read and you can just read a chapter at a time in the bath, on the toilet ;-), outloud to a friend,whatever and feel it touch your heart. (the only part that wasn't quite as good was perhaps the first chapter so don't quit reading there!!!)
Alida
Philip Gulley, a Quaker pastor and author of the "Home to Harmony" series, measures his growth in the fruits of the Holy Spirit; love, joy, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23) through short, charming vignettes. He writes with humour, wit and much wisdom. I learned as I laughed.
Art
I'm a big fan of the Harmony series. I've also enjoyed his Porch Talk series. For whatever reason this was the best in the series to me, it just clicked. Small short stories many to smile over and many lessons and things to think over.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
I’m glad I read Porch Talk first; Gulley has grown less sure of himself as he has aged and I like that in essays. Still, though Gulley comes across as a little more preachy here, he isn’t so preachy as to curdle your milk.
Mom
This is another book by the author of Front Porch Tales, the Quaker minister, Phil Gulley. He has a relaxed way of telling a story, some of them with ideas to think about but not hit you over the head with. Very enjoyable!
Georgia
Book 1 of 2013!
His books got me through many stressful times as they are filled with funny thoughtful stories. Anyone who has been in a small town, or church will recognize the characters he brings to life.
Dana
Love Philip Gulley and the tales of his life in Indiana! It reads like a diary. Just a nice, relaxing read that will make you giggle at times.
Glenda
Favorite Line: "Some men have a weakness for fast women. I have a soft spot for eighty-year old heretics who buy me pancakes and root beer."
Pamela
Another inspiring group of stories from Philip Gulley. Down to earth, with eyes fixed on heavenand a heart filled with God's grace..
Kasey
A quick, comforting read.If you love small towns and look for joy in simple things, or try to, you will love this book.
Kevin Larose
A great quick read for when you need something uplifting. I read it in a weekend, and it did me a world of good.
Snow
Reading even a fraction of these short anecdotes is inspiration to seek out the simpler, and humorous, side of life.
Rick
A good book, full of inspiring stories. I enjoyed the simplicity and the Luddism. The author is a Quaker theologian.
Carrie
sometimes I just need to read short (3 pages) stories about real (nonfiction) nice people. Warms my heart.
Wendy Wells
This is my on break book, short little quip tales that bring a smile and inspiration.
Peggy
Quick, amusing little tales with life lessons. This one is a nice, light read.
Jane
If I wrote a book this would be it. I just never got around to it!
Kristina
Laugh out loud at times, this book was very enjoyable.
Susan Olds
Inspiring, heart-warming stories about small town folks.
Heather
This is an excellent book!
Marti
Christmas gift from Brad.
Ella
Loved it! Great author!
Susan
Humorous & uplifting.
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Nancy
Nancy is currently reading it
Sep 08, 2014
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Philip Gulley has become the voice of small-town American life. Along with writing Front Porch Tales, Hometown Tales, and For Everything a Season, Gulley is the author of the Harmony series of novels, as well as If Grace Is True and If God Is Love, which are coauthored with James Mulholland.

He hosts "Porch Talk with Phil Gulley" on the Indiana PBS affiliate WFYI television's flagship show Across I...more
More about Philip Gulley...
Home to Harmony (Harmony, #1) Just Shy of Harmony (Harmony, #2) If Grace Is True: Why God Will Save Every Person (Grace Series, #1) Christmas in Harmony: A Harmony Story (Harmony, #4) Signs and Wonders: A Harmony Novel (Harmony, #3)