Start by marking “Ravished by Beauty: The Surprising Legacy of Reformed Spirituality” as Want to Read:
Ravished by Beauty: The Surprising Legacy of Reformed Spirituality

Ravished by Beauty: The Surprising Legacy of Reformed Spirituality

In this novel exploration of Reformed spirituality, Belden C. Lane uncovers a "green theology" that celebrates a community of jubilant creatures of all languages and species. Lane reveals an ecologically sensitive Calvin who spoke of himself as ''ravished'' by the earth's beauty. He speaks of Puritans who fostered a ''lusty'' spirituality in which Christ figured as a lover ...more
Published April 21st 2011 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published March 8th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Ravished by Beauty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ravished by Beauty

Scott
Mar 26, 2012 Scott rated it really liked it
I have both delighted in and argued with this book while reading through it, and you can find some of those posts on my blog. Clearly it was an engaging work of theology.

Lane works to uncover the writing on desire and beauty in the Reformed tradition, especially as it celebrates nature and can lead to a Reformed environmental ethics for our time.

I have spent much of my adult life and intellectual development reacting against Reformed thought. Process theology is almost diametrically opposed (tho
Jamie Howison
Nov 27, 2016 Jamie Howison rated it really liked it
Okay class, listen up. If you've always imagined that John Calvin was a stern and passionless theologian, that Jonathan Edwards was all about hellfire and damnation, that the Puritans were puritanical, and that the whole Reformed tradition has little or nothing to say about beauty, imagination, and the care of creation, you must read this book. Lane pretty much blew all of my assumptions to pieces (well, thanks to Calvin Seerveld, I did know that the Reformed tradition cares deeply about beauty ...more
John
Oct 06, 2011 John rated it it was ok
Lane is too concerned with leftish ecological "catastrophes" to be informative. But he does let the Reformers and those in their line speak for themselves enough to be a valuable source of good, solid Christian spirituality. Like a poor tour-guide who spends more time in the gift shop than at the Grand Canyon, you at least can ignore the guide and be stunned by beauty yourself. That's about as good as this book gets.

Not suggested.
Brenda Funk
Jan 16, 2013 Brenda Funk rated it really liked it
This book reminds me a bit of Wendell Berry's writings. Quite enjoyed it, found the journey back to reclaim his Calvinistic/Puritan background a bit tedious at times though. Loved his love of the wilderness and nature, and how to find and reclaim beauty in 'spoiled' environments and cities. Beautiful writing...that's what kept me going!

P.L. White
Oct 17, 2012 P.L. White rated it liked it
This book did not rise to my expectations. Seems like there was so much potential in the title. I was amazed at his analysis of Reformed Theology. I can understand his concerns for the environment. He quoted his sources often and at times his reasoning seemed circular. But this book was good enough that I might read another of his books regarding desert and mountain spirituality.
Shawn Paterson
Jul 09, 2015 Shawn Paterson rated it liked it
Best and exciting parts were Calvin's quotes. The author's own thesis is okay at times, and at other times terrible.
Brandon Sampson
Brandon Sampson rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2012
Shirley Ostrander
Shirley Ostrander rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2014
Todd Putney
Todd Putney rated it liked it
Oct 31, 2015
Bill Walsh
Bill Walsh rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2013
George Faithful
George Faithful rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2014
Erin
Erin rated it it was ok
May 11, 2015
David
David rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2014
Bill Johnson
Bill Johnson rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2014
Derrick
Sep 01, 2011 Derrick rated it did not like it
Simply put, I would not recommend this drivel to anyone.
Justin
Justin rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2012
Caroline Wong
Caroline Wong rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2014
Tom Blair
Tom Blair rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2012
Jewel Bernardo
Jewel Bernardo rated it did not like it
Oct 17, 2012
Kenny
Kenny rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2014
Monica Pierce
Monica Pierce rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2013
Kathy Tyers
Kathy Tyers rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2014
Robert Martin
Robert Martin rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2015
Shannon
Shannon rated it did not like it
Feb 24, 2014
Steve
Steve rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2012
Richard
Richard rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2014
Jean Alexander
Jean Alexander rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2013
Patti Stratton
Patti Stratton rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2014
Karen Barclay
Karen Barclay rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2016