Start by marking “Ravished by Beauty: The Surprising Legacy of Reformed Spirituality” as Want to Read:
Ravished by Beauty: The Surprising Legacy of Reformed Spirituality

Ravished by Beauty: The Surprising Legacy of Reformed Spirituality

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  5 reviews
In this novel exploration of Reformed spirituality, Belden C. Lane uncovers a "green theology" that celebrates a community of jubilant creatures of all languages and species. Lane reveals an ecologically sensitive Calvin who spoke of himself as ''ravished'' by the earth's beauty. He speaks of Puritans who fostered a ''lusty'' spirituality in which Christ figured as a lover ...more
Published April 21st 2011 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published March 8th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Ravished by Beauty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ravished by Beauty

Scott
I have both delighted in and argued with this book while reading through it, and you can find some of those posts on my blog. Clearly it was an engaging work of theology.

Lane works to uncover the writing on desire and beauty in the Reformed tradition, especially as it celebrates nature and can lead to a Reformed environmental ethics for our time.

I have spent much of my adult life and intellectual development reacting against Reformed thought. Process theology is almost diametrically opposed (tho
John
Lane is too concerned with leftish ecological "catastrophes" to be informative. But he does let the Reformers and those in their line speak for themselves enough to be a valuable source of good, solid Christian spirituality. Like a poor tour-guide who spends more time in the gift shop than at the Grand Canyon, you at least can ignore the guide and be stunned by beauty yourself. That's about as good as this book gets.

Not suggested.
P.L. White
This book did not rise to my expectations. Seems like there was so much potential in the title. I was amazed at his analysis of Reformed Theology. I can understand his concerns for the environment. He quoted his sources often and at times his reasoning seemed circular. But this book was good enough that I might read another of his books regarding desert and mountain spirituality.
Brenda Funk
This book reminds me a bit of Wendell Berry's writings. Quite enjoyed it, found the journey back to reclaim his Calvinistic/Puritan background a bit tedious at times though. Loved his love of the wilderness and nature, and how to find and reclaim beauty in 'spoiled' environments and cities. Beautiful writing...that's what kept me going!

Derrick
Simply put, I would not recommend this drivel to anyone.
Joshua Morrison
Joshua Morrison marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Jolie Stratton
Jolie Stratton marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
John Shelley
John Shelley marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Haley Harris
Haley Harris is currently reading it
Aug 29, 2014
DeAnna Wilder
DeAnna Wilder marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Gabrielle
Gabrielle marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Holly Stevenson
Holly Stevenson marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Tom Long
Tom Long marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Kimberly Simmons
Kimberly Simmons marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Josickle
Josickle marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
Aisha Entz
Aisha Entz marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2014
Reggie
Reggie marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2014
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
Jamie Howison
Jamie Howison marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
The Solace of Fierce Landscapes: Exploring Desert and Mountain Spirituality Landscapes of the Sacred: Geography and Narrative in American Spirituality Desert Spirituality and Cultural Resistance: From Ancient Monks to Mountain Refugees Storytelling Study Guide