Start by marking “How to Succeed as a Freelance Translator” as Want to Read:
How to Succeed as a Freelance Translator

How to Succeed as a Freelance Translator

freelance, translator, translation, home business, Business, Economics, Careers, Jobs
Published 2006 by Two Rat Press

To ask other readers questions about How to Succeed as a Freelance Translator, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Succeed as a Freelance Translator

Jan 26, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it
This is a great book for beginning translators or just as an overview of the profession. Back when I could remember the languages I actually learned (before losing them due to not using them) I had thought about becoming a translator. This book made me realize I still wasn't ready at that point, but it still remains a great book for those who may be at a sufficient proficiency level for translation/interpretation work.

The beginning of the book has an introduction that explains why one would want
Grazyna Nawrocka
Dec 02, 2015 Grazyna Nawrocka rated it really liked it
Shelves: translation
The software changes so rapidly that book from 2007 is already outdated. That's why I couldn't rate it at 5 stars. The information about running the business, dealing with non-paying clients, managing time and resources is priceless. I'm glad I've had an opportunity to read this book. I already know what questions to ask at the beginning of the project, how to assess if I have enough time for translation, how to deal with invoices and payments. There are good tips about taxes and incorporating, ...more
Jun 08, 2012 Katy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
A very readable and informative guide as to what to expect and what needs to be done in order to do what the title describes. A lot of the advice is quite obvious but still, I found it useful to be reminded of it, and there are definitely some aspects I hadn't considered before reading this book as well as a lot of useful links. I found the advice in the following quote quite surprising (and therefore useful!): "If you would like to find four to eight agencies that will become regular clients, p ...more
Lei Gao
Sep 06, 2016 Lei Gao rated it really liked it
Very practical. Some parts are not applicable to English>Chinese translators but definitely worth reading for a novice freelance translator.
Kate Dampalan
Jan 24, 2016 Kate Dampalan is currently reading it
Stephen Bruce
Quite comprehensive, covering everything from setting up a home office to using computer-assisted translation. That means that some of the advice will be obvious and some of it irrelevant, depending on the reader. Some of the material is out of date (does anyone still use rolodexes?). Still, I found it quite useful both as an overview and as a reference.
Teresa Carbajal Ravet
Great resource book to have on your shelf along with your other small business resource texts, reference books, dictionaries, etc. one can and will be referencing this book throughout one's freelance career. Only chapter missing is the one on writing a business plan as step one in launching a small 'freelance' business.
Mar 18, 2009 Ruben rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009
This book is a good resource for anyone considering translating words in exchange for money. It's hard to gauge the effectiveness of her advice, but she certainly provides plenty of resources and helps the reader to see what's involved in professional translation.
Dec 13, 2013 Sadie rated it it was amazing
Corinne's book is wonderful. I received my copy as part of the Getting Started as a Freelance Translator online course. It is encouraging and informative, and the writing is a pleasure to read. Straight-forward advice served up simply. Must read!
Aug 22, 2012 Beth rated it really liked it
Very useful guide on setting up a freelance translation business. I wish it was longer and more detailed, but I guess you can't have everything.
Tony Canas
Very interesting. Answered a lot of my questions about an industry I'm interested in using for a side income.
Maha Albisher
Aug 18, 2011 Maha Albisher rated it it was amazing
An absolutely must read for every freelance translator who aspires to be professional.
Halh .
Sep 21, 2016 Halh . added it
It's good as a reference for translators.
Feb 11, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it
Great tips and well written but v US centric
Aug 06, 2012 Pascale rated it did not like it
The title of this boring book says it all.
Kresna Luginawati
Aug 16, 2016 Kresna Luginawati rated it really liked it
Shelves: referensi
great reference!
solitude_at_last marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2016
Franziska Spörl
Franziska Spörl marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2016
Caro marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2016
Relle added it
Oct 16, 2016
Reda marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2016
Dimitris rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2016
Atyaf Mahdi
Atyaf Mahdi rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2016
Ana Martins
Ana Martins rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Victoria rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2016
Denis Sinkevici
Denis Sinkevici rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2016
Giovanny rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2016
Teryata marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
  • Becoming a Translator: An Introduction to the Theory and Practice of Translation
  • In Other Words: A Coursebook on Translation
  • مرشد المترجم
  • English with an Accent: Language, Ideology and Discrimination in the United States
  • Translation Studies
  • Found in Translation: How Language Shapes Our Lives and Transforms the World
  • A Textbook of Translation (Skills)
  • The Translation Studies Reader
  • Critical Discourse Analysis: The Critical Study of Language
  • Crude: The Story of Oil
  • فن الترجمة في ضوء الدراسات المقارنة
  • Irving Thalberg: Boy Wonder to Producer Prince

“Translators need a lot of skills besides fluency in at least two languages; translators need to be excellent writers in their native language and need to be interested in and skilled at terminology research using both paper dictionaries and the Internet.” 2 likes
“Translation work involves knowing not just the structure of the language to be translated, but the cultural framework
that surrounds it.”