Start by marking “Gli ultimi giorni di Hitler” as Want to Read:
Gli ultimi giorni di Hitler

Gli ultimi giorni di Hitler

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  569 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Settembre 1945. Berlino porta su di sé le ferite di una rovinosa guerra perduta; nella città si scava alla febbrile ricerca di spiegazioni e di verità ancora celate tra le macerie. Il mistero più fitto è quello che avvolge le circostanze della scomparsa di Hitler, che secondo alcuni sarebbe ancora in vita. A far luce sugli ultimi drammatici giorni del Terzo Reich è chiamat ...more
Published July 1999 by Bur (first published 1947)

To ask other readers questions about Gli ultimi giorni di Hitler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gli ultimi giorni di Hitler

Eric
May 02, 2011 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lurid, history
While their foul subject was fresh, the first post-war English historians, in early before the smoke had cleared, smelt the Devil. (Clive James)

I liked reading The Last Days of Hitler (1947) much more than I liked watching Downfall. Trevor-Roper’s reunion of English historical styles—Gibbon’s irony, Strachey’s titter, Carlyle’s bilious verve, if not his love of strongmen and Germany—makes even the flatulent fug of the Führerbunker, its Sardanapalan delirium, enjoyable to read about:

Pacing up and
David Bales
Sep 11, 2011 David Bales rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
A brilliant classic, Trevor-Roper's book, first published in 1950 and amended in 1956, (I have the 1962 edition) step by step follows Adolph Hitler's last week in the bunker and provides a pretty good summary of his last ten months as well as all the myths and legends surrounding his death and supposed survival in South America, (nothing credible there). At the end of the Third Reich Hitler was heavily drugged and mostly deranged, insisting that phantom armies would save Germany and blasting the ...more
Turtelina
H.R. Trevor Roper hat anhand von Zeitzeugen-Berichten ein ziemlich komplettes Bild von den letzten Tagen Hitlers verfasst. Er hat so ziemlich alle Beteiligten versucht zu interviewen, der Großteil davon entweder in russischer oder amerikanischer Gefangenschaft. Die Russen erwiesen sich als nicht allzu kooperationsbereit, so musste Roper teilweise warten, bis diverse Zeitzeugen aus der Gefangenschaft nach Hause kamen.

Ich habe die bereits überarbeitete Ausgabe von 1955 gelesen, in der manche Fakte
Owen
Jul 28, 2012 Owen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The English historian Hugh Trevor-Roper takes us down into the depths of the Fürherbunker for a last look around after the fall of Berlin. Reconstituting the final weeks, he takes us into the pit in which Hitler finally withdrew, after having lived much of the war in a series of other bunkers (or lairs) on the different fronts. All the ordinary comings and goings of the (mostly) elite Nazis with, in some cases, their spouses and children, and the occasional dentist, serve to remind us of the ban ...more
Ugh
Jan 08, 2010 Ugh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The conclusions of what is surely THE definitive investigation into the demise of Hitler - that conducted by the author at the behest of the Four Power Intelligence Committee in 1945. This is not conjecture or self-indulgent fantasy, but a clear enunciation of the facts as they can best be established, with the necessary caveats and considerations blatantly laid bare. But not just the facts: the spurious alternatives too, along with well-researched and authoritative descriptions of events and ke ...more
R. Rasmussen
My current reading of Haffner's The Meaning of Hitler moved me to pick up an audio edition of Trevor-Roper's book today. I first read the book more than 20 years ago, perhaps as many as 30 years ago. I remember a fair amount about Hitler's last days but don't remember much about Trevor-Roper's book. I'm curious to learn whether Haffner's book will give me some fresh insights into Hitler's final days.

After many interruptions, I've finally finished Trevor-Roper's book. It's not quite what I rememb
Frank
Mar 04, 2015 Frank rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This author did NOT think much of the Nazi inner circle. 'Ninny's, simple minded, childish'. His words, not mine. He explored the psychological mind set more than the facts. I didn't learn much new, but it was interesting how they thought. Excellent research.
Madhav
Mar 17, 2014 Madhav rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well researched book.Great insight into the twilight of German third Reich & its perpetrator.It is a small book but a long read.
Lucynell
May 21, 2016 Lucynell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps, in essence, nothing important can be added, but the story presented here is dated, incomplete. We now know much more since this was first published (I read a 1973 edition, first edition is 1946.) We know more about what was going on in Soviet Union, and we know what happened to Bormann, for instance. Still, the book, as the better-read say, remains close to essential. It's about the downfall, the end of days of the most blood-thirsty tyrant the world has ever know. It not only takes one ...more
Bill
Jul 27, 2014 Bill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
One of the best books i have ever read . Mr. Trevor Roper did an excellent job and they present what EXACTLY happened there in these last days . Huge and great Reports about all the big members of the Third Reich like Hitler , Goebbels , Himmler , Goring , Donitz , Speer and many many more . He also analyze very good what kind of persons they were , which were their thoughts and their actions . It's very easy to read this book because it doesn't stays on tactical information but only in Human st ...more
Peter Johnston
Jul 03, 2015 Peter Johnston rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great starting point for anyone interested in the collapse of the Third Reich as experienced (mostly) in the bunker. Most interesting take away for me, was that it was Stalin who promulgated the ridiculous lie that Hitler was alive and well and living in Facsist Spain or Argentina, despite Stalin having the rather unequivocal evidence of Hitker and Eva Braun's bodies, dental records and numerous eyewitnesses captured by Soviet troops.

The author never disappoints with his snarky summaries of the
James Bojaciuk
Jan 11, 2015 James Bojaciuk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of all the books I've consulted for my current project, this is the most in-depth, most perceptive, and most thoroughly constructed. The author, further, has a total lack of objectivity and roundly insults his subjects. This not only made the book endearing, but gave Trevor-Roper the opportunity for philosophical and psychological discussions he could not have otherwise had.

This is not only the gold standard for histories of the second world war, but a gold standard of history. It has more than
Sheldon Fernandez
The Last Days of Hitler is an outstanding book that provides a compelling, penetrating look at the last days of the Nazi regime and its maniacal leader. This is a frenetic page-turner, a meticulously researched account of the final months of the ‘Bunker’, the underground structure where the regime’s top brass ensconced themselves during the concluding throes of WWII.

Fascinating factoids lace the book throughout: the personalities around Hitler and their struggle for power, Nazi political power
Lobstergirl
Jun 08, 2014 Lobstergirl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lobstergirl by: Joachim Fest
Shelves: european-history

I had already read Inside Hitler's Bunker: The Last Days of the Third Reich by Joachim Fest, which draws heavily on Trevor-Roper's account, so much of this was a refresher course. HTR writes very well, and style is sometimes admirably wry or colorful:

Reichsleiter Robert Ley, chief of the German Labour Front, is chiefly remembered as the sponsor of the "Strength Through Joy" movement. He seems to have aspired to a millennium of unlimited fun for the proletariat; but his own habitual inebriety ren
Michael
Dec 22, 2013 Michael rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: history buffs, History channel fans, Alex Guinness fans
Recommended to Michael by: serendipity
Having savaged Shirer’s “Rise and Fall” last time out, I suppose I should be equally disparaging of this early attempt to imagine Hitler for an Allied audience, but I really don’t consider it quite so bad. For one thing, Trevor-Roper’s prose is unusually good for a popular historian, and for another, he limited himself to a careful study of a few weeks in time, which prevents him from making quite such strong over-arching statements.

Trevor-Roper was originally an intelligence officer, commissio
Scott
Jun 05, 2008 Scott rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ww2, lives, 1940s, war
Shortly after the end of WWII, British intelligence office Hugh Trevor-Roper was given the task to "establish the facts of Hitler's end, and thereby to prevent the growth of a myth." His report, later published as The Last Days of Hitler, draws on Allied intelligence's interrogations of survivors who spent time in the bunker during the last ten days of Hitler's life. Trevor-Roper organizes his book chronologically, but it's more a series of character sketches than a strict time line of events. W ...more
A Rina
Dec 07, 2014 A Rina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very fascinating and clear account of the last days of Hitler. I am not sure, however, if the author's penchant to interpret the german psyche as the events turned, was necessary, or merely gives a patronizing tone to the book, which would be immensely enjoyable otherwise.
Will
Apr 30, 2009 Will rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very much a product of its day, written in 1946 by the British intelligence officer Hugh Trevor-Roper. I thought it an interesting book, full of insights both into Germany and how the Allies, particularly Britain, thought of the Nazis. What is striking is not how evil they all were, but how banal the end was. The author spends one, dry and unemotional, paragraph on the actual deaths of Hitler and Eva Braun.

The other striking thing is how much power Hitler still retained over the entire country w
Katherine Addison
Excellent account of the last 10 days of Hitler's life, researched and written in the immediate aftermath of WWII (first publication 1947). In a weird way simultaneously historiography and primary source.
Anne
Aug 07, 2013 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is fascinating both in its subject matter, and (unintentionally) as a reflection of the post-victory allied mindset following WWII. The book was published in the late 1940s and is rich in detail as a synthesis of testimony from the Nuremberg Trials and other primary sources. The author could not be more disparaging of the circus into which the court of Hilter had devolved, and adopts an attitude which can only be called snarky at times. It's a quick read, and very interesting as it was the ...more
Philip S
Apr 12, 2016 Philip S rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating read about the process Trevor-Roper used to narrow down circumstances of the last days in "the bunker." He was a first class detective.
Donna
Jan 10, 2008 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, travel
I know next to nothing about this part of the world and its history. This was a quick read; the military and political aspects aren’t my thing. But the twisted character of Hitler shone through regardless. Frightening man. Frightening days. Horrifying end.

FAVOURITE QUOTE: From Hitler himself…. “ ‘I have not come into the world.’ he declared, in one of these messianic moods, ‘to make men better, but to make use of their weaknesses’; and in conformity with this nihilistic ideal, this absolute lov
Jeremy
Dec 06, 2014 Jeremy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A classic! Beautifully written. The definite history of Hitler's end.
Glen
Apr 21, 2014 Glen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read ... Often wondered if this is a convenient truth?
Sandeep
Great book but marred by an obsequious acceptance of Speer's hagiography
Zack
Mar 14, 2013 Zack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trevor-Roper's account of the last days of hitler has a surprising amount of staying power given that so many witness were still in Russian captivity at the time of writing.

Trevor-Roper can't be faulted for missing any crucial details about Hitler's death, because they were simply unavailable to him.

However, I did notice one error in the text where he claims Robert Ritter Von Greim committed suicide in June of 1945, when in fact he did so in May.

Nevertheless, this book is well-written, flows be
Donovan Rowlands
It's a fun read. I know, I know, that sounds a bit perverse and weird but reading about this ragtag bunch of *(warning cap-locks coming)* F*CKING CRAZY LOSERS trying to figure out how their last days will end and clinging to the hope they'll be rescued is just to sad and kind of funny.

Nazi's at their delusional best!
Paul
Mar 17, 2009 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up from Oxfam for 2.99 today. Was inspired to read this by having seen the excellent Downfall the other day in tandem with all the great Downfall mash ups on You Tube. Also thought it might be Rod's leaving gift. ...more
Paco Crespo
Aug 09, 2011 Paco Crespo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Imprescindible. Primer estudio sobre los últimos días de Hitler y su destino final, hecho sobre el terreno y entre las sombras del silencio y los secretos de los soviéticos. Todavía vigente en sus tesis centrales 60 años depués. Escrito magistralmente.
Vishal B
I would like to thank Mr. Hugh wherever he is today for leaving the future generations this journal of hitlers death. It's a small book but a long read.... Nevertheless the details provided are definitely eye opening.... Worth a read against all odds...
  • Hitler
  • Spandau: The Secret Diaries
  • Hitler: A Study in Tyranny
  • The Origins of the Second World War
  • The Destruction of the European Jews
  • The Double-Cross System The Incredible True Story of How Nazi Spies Were Turned into Double Agents
  • The Last 100 Days