Start by marking “Gli ultimi giorni di Hitler” as Want to Read:
Gli ultimi giorni di Hitler

Gli ultimi giorni di Hitler

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  363 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Settembre 1945. Berlino porta su di sé le ferite di una rovinosa guerra perduta; nella città si scava alla febbrile ricerca di spiegazioni e di verità ancora celate tra le macerie. Il mistero più fitto è quello che avvolge le circostanze della scomparsa di Hitler, che secondo alcuni sarebbe ancora in vita. A far luce sugli ultimi drammatici giorni del Terzo Reich è chiamat ...more
Published July 1999 by Bur (first published 1947)

To ask other readers questions about Gli ultimi giorni di Hitler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gli ultimi giorni di Hitler

Eric
While their foul subject was fresh, the first post-war English historians, in early before the smoke had cleared, smelt the Devil. (Clive James)

I liked reading The Last Days of Hitler (1947) much more than I liked watching Downfall. Trevor-Roper’s reunion of English historical styles—Gibbon’s irony, Strachey’s titter, Carlyle’s bilious verve, if not his love of strongmen and Germany—makes even the flatulent fug of the Führerbunker, its Sardanapalan delirium, enjoyable to read about:

Pacing up and
David Bales
A brilliant classic, Trevor-Roper's book, first published in 1950 and amended in 1956, (I have the 1962 edition) step by step follows Adolph Hitler's last week in the bunker and provides a pretty good summary of his last ten months as well as all the myths and legends surrounding his death and supposed survival in South America, (nothing credible there). At the end of the Third Reich Hitler was heavily drugged and mostly deranged, insisting that phantom armies would save Germany and blasting the ...more
Turtelina
H.R. Trevor Roper hat anhand von Zeitzeugen-Berichten ein ziemlich komplettes Bild von den letzten Tagen Hitlers verfasst. Er hat so ziemlich alle Beteiligten versucht zu interviewen, der Großteil davon entweder in russischer oder amerikanischer Gefangenschaft. Die Russen erwiesen sich als nicht allzu kooperationsbereit, so musste Roper teilweise warten, bis diverse Zeitzeugen aus der Gefangenschaft nach Hause kamen.

Ich habe die bereits überarbeitete Ausgabe von 1955 gelesen, in der manche Fakte
Owen
The English historian Hugh Trevor-Roper takes us down into the depths of the Fürherbunker for a last look around after the fall of Berlin. Reconstituting the final weeks, he takes us into the pit in which Hitler finally withdrew, after having lived much of the war in a series of other bunkers (or lairs) on the different fronts. All the ordinary comings and goings of the (mostly) elite Nazis with, in some cases, their spouses and children, and the occasional dentist, serve to remind us of the ban ...more
R. Rasmussen
My current reading of Haffner's The Meaning of Hitler moved me to pick up an audio edition of Trevor-Roper's book today. I first read the book more than 20 years ago, perhaps as many as 30 years ago. I remember a fair amount about Hitler's last days but don't remember much about Trevor-Roper's book. I'm curious to learn whether Haffner's book will give me some fresh insights into Hitler's final days.

After many interruptions, I've finally finished Trevor-Roper's book. It's not quite what I rememb
Madhav
A well researched book.Great insight into the twilight of German third Reich & its perpetrator.It is a small book but a long read.
Bill
One of the best books i have ever read . Mr. Trevor Roper did an excellent job and they present what EXACTLY happened there in these last days . Huge and great Reports about all the big members of the Third Reich like Hitler , Goebbels , Himmler , Goring , Donitz , Speer and many many more . He also analyze very good what kind of persons they were , which were their thoughts and their actions . It's very easy to read this book because it doesn't stays on tactical information but only in Human st ...more
Lobstergirl
Jun 08, 2014 Lobstergirl rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lobstergirl by: Joachim Fest
Shelves: european-history

I had already read Inside Hitler's Bunker: The Last Days of the Third Reich by Joachim Fest, which draws heavily on Trevor-Roper's account, so much of this was a refresher course. HTR writes very well, and style is sometimes admirably wry or colorful:

Reichsleiter Robert Ley, chief of the German Labour Front, is chiefly remembered as the sponsor of the "Strength Through Joy" movement. He seems to have aspired to a millennium of unlimited fun for the proletariat; but his own habitual inebriety ren
Michael
Dec 22, 2013 Michael rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: history buffs, History channel fans, Alex Guinness fans
Recommended to Michael by: serendipity
Having savaged Shirer’s “Rise and Fall” last time out, I suppose I should be equally disparaging of this early attempt to imagine Hitler for an Allied audience, but I really don’t consider it quite so bad. For one thing, Trevor-Roper’s prose is unusually good for a popular historian, and for another, he limited himself to a careful study of a few weeks in time, which prevents him from making quite such strong over-arching statements.

Trevor-Roper was originally an intelligence officer, commissio
Scott
Shortly after the end of WWII, British intelligence office Hugh Trevor-Roper was given the task to "establish the facts of Hitler's end, and thereby to prevent the growth of a myth." His report, later published as The Last Days of Hitler, draws on Allied intelligence's interrogations of survivors who spent time in the bunker during the last ten days of Hitler's life. Trevor-Roper organizes his book chronologically, but it's more a series of character sketches than a strict time line of events. W ...more
Ugh
The conclusions of what is surely THE definitive investigation into the demise of Hitler - that conducted by the author at the behest of the Four Power Intelligence Committee in 1945. This is not conjecture or self-indulgent fantasy, but a clear enunciation of the facts as they can best be established, with the necessary caveats and considerations blatantly laid bare. But not just the facts: the spurious alternatives too, along with well-researched and authoritative descriptions of events and ke ...more
A Rina
A very fascinating and clear account of the last days of Hitler. I am not sure, however, if the author's penchant to interpret the german psyche as the events turned, was necessary, or merely gives a patronizing tone to the book, which would be immensely enjoyable otherwise.
Will
Very much a product of its day, written in 1946 by the British intelligence officer Hugh Trevor-Roper. I thought it an interesting book, full of insights both into Germany and how the Allies, particularly Britain, thought of the Nazis. What is striking is not how evil they all were, but how banal the end was. The author spends one, dry and unemotional, paragraph on the actual deaths of Hitler and Eva Braun.

The other striking thing is how much power Hitler still retained over the entire country w
Anne
This is fascinating both in its subject matter, and (unintentionally) as a reflection of the post-victory allied mindset following WWII. The book was published in the late 1940s and is rich in detail as a synthesis of testimony from the Nuremberg Trials and other primary sources. The author could not be more disparaging of the circus into which the court of Hilter had devolved, and adopts an attitude which can only be called snarky at times. It's a quick read, and very interesting as it was the ...more
Donna
I know next to nothing about this part of the world and its history. This was a quick read; the military and political aspects aren’t my thing. But the twisted character of Hitler shone through regardless. Frightening man. Frightening days. Horrifying end.

FAVOURITE QUOTE: From Hitler himself…. “ ‘I have not come into the world.’ he declared, in one of these messianic moods, ‘to make men better, but to make use of their weaknesses’; and in conformity with this nihilistic ideal, this absolute lov
Jeremy
A classic! Beautifully written. The definite history of Hitler's end.
Glen
Interesting read ... Often wondered if this is a convenient truth?
Zack
Trevor-Roper's account of the last days of hitler has a surprising amount of staying power given that so many witness were still in Russian captivity at the time of writing.

Trevor-Roper can't be faulted for missing any crucial details about Hitler's death, because they were simply unavailable to him.

However, I did notice one error in the text where he claims Robert Ritter Von Greim committed suicide in June of 1945, when in fact he did so in May.

Nevertheless, this book is well-written, flows be
Donovan Rowlands
It's a fun read. I know, I know, that sounds a bit perverse and weird but reading about this ragtag bunch of *(warning cap-locks coming)* F*CKING CRAZY LOSERS trying to figure out how their last days will end and clinging to the hope they'll be rescued is just to sad and kind of funny.

Nazi's at their delusional best!
Paul
Picked this up from Oxfam for £2.99 today. Was inspired to read this by having seen the excellent Downfall the other day in tandem with all the great Downfall mash ups on You Tube. Also thought it might be Rod's leaving gift.
Paco Crespo
Imprescindible. Primer estudio sobre los últimos días de Hitler y su destino final, hecho sobre el terreno y entre las sombras del silencio y los secretos de los soviéticos. Todavía vigente en sus tesis centrales 60 años depués. Escrito magistralmente.
Vishal B
I would like to thank Mr. Hugh wherever he is today for leaving the future generations this journal of hitlers death. It's a small book but a long read.... Nevertheless the details provided are definitely eye opening.... Worth a read against all odds...
Paco Crespo
Nick Black
Incredibly detailed and only a little less dry, it ties up the loose ends left in Shirer's otherwise complete history. The insanity of Berlin, 1945 flummoxes quickly upon first gazing into this (commissioned) volume.
Michael

Utterly absorbing and fascinating. Has catapulted to number two on my list of books on the subject, number one remaining Speer's 'Inside The Third Reich'.
Mansoor Azam
a good and well researched book. really luvd reading it. great insight into the twilight of German Reich and its perpetrator .
David
Very insightful and well written. A good portrait of some of the most influential members of the Nazi hierarchy. HIghly recommended.
Sonia Oranges
Faticoso da terminare. Ma uno strumento straordinario per comprendere la storia più o meno recente. E la follia degli uomini
Pierre Corneille
Quite good for antiquarian interests. It is written by someone who was almost there but wasn't there.

Kagama-the Literaturevixen
Too wordy and hard to get through. It didnt pull you in. But as far as I can tell the facts of the book checks out.
  • Hitler
  • Spandau: The Secret Diaries
  • The Meaning of Hitler
  • Hitler: A Study in Tyranny
  • The Destruction of the European Jews
  • The Double-Cross System The Incredible True Story of How Nazi Spies Were Turned into Double Agents
  • The Last 100 Days
  • Berlin at War: Life and Death in Hitler's Capital, 1939-45
  • The Nightmare Years 1930-40
  • Zig Zag: The Incredible Wartime Exploits Of Double Agent Eddie Chapman
  • The Wolves at the Door: The True Story of America's Greatest Female Spy
Hermit of Peking: The Hidden Life of Sir Edmund Backhouse The Invention of Scotland: Myth and History European Witch Craze in the Sixteenth & Seventeenth Century & Other Essays The Rise of Christian Europe (Library of World Civilization) The Crisis of the 17th Century