Start by marking “The Rosetta Codex” as Want to Read:
The Rosetta Codex

The Rosetta Codex

3.11 of 5 stars 3.11  ·  rating details  ·  150 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Philip K. Dick Award-winning author of Ship of Fools and the Carlucci trilogy.

After he crash-landed on an untamed planet, young Cale Alexandros was a slave for most of his life. But when freed, he would discover a secret that some people want to learn-and a revelation that some will do anything to control.
Published April 24th 2007 by Ace (first published December 6th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Rosetta Codex, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rosetta Codex

The Rosetta Codex is the story of Cale Alexandros, a boy of wealthy background who at the age of 5 becomes captured and enslaved on a world far from his own. He lives this life until, as a teenager, he flees his captors, sending him on a series of events that bring him to uncover an indecipherable book several years later. This book contains secrets that could change the world forever, and some see that as a threat... a threat that needs to be taken care of by whatever means necessary.

This isn't
Elana
Jun 08, 2013 Elana rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: work
It's one of those books that are good novels without being good SF. The story is the bildungsroman of Cale who is determined to bring an alien race back to life through the Codex of the title. The book is beautifully, even hauntingly, written: details of life on alien worlds stand out with an almost hallucinatory vividness; Cale's tribulations are well-described; the plot and focalization are impeccably handled. But...what is the point? Who are those aliens? Why is Cale so determined? Is there f ...more
C.M. Muller
The first part of this book was absolutely wonderful, the middle section left me feeling a bit disappointed, the end redeemed the whole to a slight degree. Overall, the concept and writing was brilliant, but I found myself losing interest in the story about halfway through. I think a lot of this had to do with the various jumps in time, in which we follow the young protagonist into adulthood. That said, I am a huge Richard Paul Russo fan. If this is your first foray into his fiction, I suggest y ...more
Jeff
I really enjoyed this book, by the author of Ship of Fools. The story follows the life of a boy named Cale Alexandros, whose father is killed when the ship they are on is attacked. Cale was 5 when this happened. His father sent him and his guardian, Sidonie, down to the planet they were going to in a shuttle, but it crashes. Cale is taken by a bunch of rogues and is shuffled from place to place and group to group throughout this story. It held my attention very well, and was difficult to put dow ...more
Shawn
A few points to summarize this book:

1. The book has an interesting blend of technology and mysticism.
2. Through the main character the reader is introduced to several mysteries and enigmas. However, the presentation of the mysteries was much more appealing than the actual resolution.
3. The flow of time and space is somewhat choppy throughout the book. I found myself backtracking a few paragraphs from time-to-time to understand just what was happening. To the author's credit, he does not bog the
Micah R Sisk
Mmm...yeah, it was alright. Not as good as his Ship of Fools or his Carlucci trilogy, but reasonable.

As someone pointed out, this is what's called a Bildungsroman, a story that focuses on the protagonist's development through his life...a "coming of age" story and all that. It suffers a bit in that the author seemed more interested in the main character's early development rather than his later "life's work" adventure. Which is a bit sad because the idea of what the main character was later to a
Roddy Williams
‘Cale Alexandros was five years old when his family’s starship was attacked en route to Morningstar, the lone outpost of civilization on a savage planet. Cale crash-landed in the wilds, and was picked from the wreckage by brutish nomads.

For years, he was forced to endure life as a slave, until a kind trader finally freed him. But Cale never forgot what he had seen in the desert wastes... or the temple that held a book with pages made of a strange metal, and the writings he could not identify.

Whe
Kyle Johnson
I picked this book up while bored out of my skull one evening, interupting my reading of "The Dragon's Nine Sons". The name was similar to something my dad had mentioned to me just a few days before, though it turns out that was a different book.

For a random snag off the Choice Reads shelf, I was pleasantly surprised by all but the very end of the book. The premise and plot remained interesting throughout, but once I had finished the book, it just felt flat. There weren't many high points in th
Bob
Ashley
Thom Foolery
Slow going at first, but it builds to a fairly satisfying climax. Clean, well crafted prose made this more enjoyable than much run-of-the-mill SF genre stuff. My wife really liked Russo's Carlucci novels, and so I plan to give them a chance, based on this stand-alone novel.
Well apparently I like sci-fi. I thought the character building in this book was excellent. However, the ending left many unanswered questions. Perhaps there is a sequel? I'll have to read more by this author for sure.
Lisle
I tried. An adolescent on a quest. Mysterious ancient aliens. Everything I need, but it just didn't do it for me. I lost it for a while, and when it turned up, I couldn't bring myself to finish it. My loss, no doubt.
Sean Drybrough
good book, not a whole lot of conversation but pretty good
Kathleen
excellent story telling- would love to see a sequel
Pamela
Review forthcoming.
ROU
ROU marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Kyle White
Kyle White marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Vettius29
Vettius29 marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
ceeeeg
ceeeeg marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Jfs
Jfs added it
Oct 20, 2014
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
  • The Brave Free Men
  • Gardens of the Sun
  • The World Before (Wess'Har Wars, #3)
  • Bodies Electric: A Novel
  • Divergence (Heritage Universe 2)
  • Death at Buckingham Palace (Her Majesty Investigates #1)
  • Mirage
  • Works of William Shakespeare
  • The Ghost From The Grand Banks
  • The Praxis (Dread Empire's Fall, #1)
  • City of Ice
  • Footprints of Thunder
  • Dress Gray
  • The Octagonal Raven
  • Engine City (Engines Of Light, #3)
  • Red Fox