Start by marking “Hiding in the Open” as Want to Read:
Hiding in the Open

Hiding in the Open

This is the memoir of one of two sisters who survived the Holocaust by posing as Catholic Poles in Germany during World War II. They missed the liquidation of their ghetto by mere hours, hiding in a shed all night listening to the screams of their fellow Jews. Then went into Germany and took up work in a hotel housing Gestapo officers. Many close escapes and daring moments ...more
Published October 1st 2001 by North Star Press of St. Cloud

To ask other readers questions about Hiding in the Open, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hiding in the Open

Colleen
Nov 04, 2016 Colleen rated it really liked it
I've had this on my book list for a long time and finally got to it. I'm not sure if Sabina's story is unusual but it certainly seems so. There could not have been very many Jews who did what she and her sister did: live, work and most importantly hide in the open in Germany during WWII. I learned a lot about the Polish and other peoples from conquered countries who went to work in Germany and much of what that entailed. It's an inspiring and amazing story of survival. Sabina went on to earn a ...more
Jeanne
Dec 01, 2016 Jeanne rated it really liked it
This memoir is a sobering account of the horrors endured by millions during the reign of Hitler and the extermination of so many Jews. The courage and strength of character of Sabina Zimering is amazing.
Krista
May 05, 2014 Krista rated it it was amazing
Amazing story of survival. I have read quite a few books, fiction and non fiction books, on the Holocaust. I know this one will stay with me for a long time. I can't imagine loosing so many of your loved ones, but also being able to reconnect with some of them. It is a story of loss, love, survival and courage. One thing that really connects me to this book is that the author lives in Minneapolis, MN. Her life has not been an easy one, but she persevered, followed her dreams and was able to live ...more
Beth
May 18, 2010 Beth rated it liked it
I thought this was a good story about 2 young Jewish girls trying to survive the holocaust by hiding in Germany. The author now lives in Minnesota and was supposed to speak on a Holocaust panel that I attended. Unfortunately, she wasn't able to make it but we were told about her book. Well written and thought provoking, what really came through for me was the sense of loss the girls felt when they lost both parents. They lost other family members also, but losing their parents seemed to be the ...more
Wendy
May 09, 2010 Wendy rated it it was amazing
I picked up this book because the author's 7th grade grandchildren were 2 of my students. Given the personal connection, I was enthralled and couldn't put it down!! It was a great read that described the lives of one Polish/Jewish family during the Holocaust and the many precarious situations 2 sisters found themselves in. Thus, I would have rated it highly even without knowing Sabina's young relatives.
Creole Wisdom
Feb 11, 2009 Creole Wisdom rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've ever read. It's a memoir of a woman who survived the Holocaust by pretending to be a Catholic Pole. She currently lives in Minneapolis, and is still alive today. It's a gripping story, and you won't be able to put it down. It is both saddening and heartwarming at the same time. There is joy and lots of sorrow. I would recommend it for anyone, I love it. If you liked the Diary of Anne Frank, you will also enjoy this!
Kim
Jul 07, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing
This book had me hardly able to put it down... I'm very interested in anything having to do with the Holocaust and like to focus my reading on particular aspects such as how things went in a particular country, or how people survived in hiding, or children in the Holocaust, etc. Sabina's living in the open is a subject I find particularly fascinating....
Lora
Oct 21, 2009 Lora rated it really liked it
True story of two Jewish Polish sisters who lived through WWII by pretending to be Cathoic Polish sisters. They even go into Germany! Amazing!
Lisa
Aug 10, 2012 Lisa rated it it was amazing
such an incredible true story about a young jewish girl during the Holocaust... I had a chance to see the author speak in person, delightful women. Highly recommended!
Jodee
Jan 29, 2009 Jodee rated it it was amazing
The writings of Sabina Zimering who survived "Hiding in the Open" in Nazi occupied Germany. A fine piece of work from the heart of one who knew.
Emma
Aug 01, 2009 Emma rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I bought this after meeting Sabina. She is an inspiration. If you live in the Twin Cities and get a chance to hear her speak you will understand what resilience means.
Bobby
Bobby rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2013
LuAnne
LuAnne rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2014
Michelle Laurent
Michelle Laurent rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2010
Mindy
Mindy rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2014
Dawn Peterson
Dawn Peterson rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2014
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2016
Courtney
Courtney rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2014
Teresa
Teresa rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2009
Sandra
Sandra rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2008
Jennifer Schlagel
Jennifer Schlagel rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2012
Monika
Monika rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2014
Melanie Lunzer
Melanie Lunzer rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2014
Cami
Cami rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2014
Caroline K.
Caroline K. rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2013
Marissa
Marissa rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2013
Rita
Rita rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2012
Cat
Cat rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2011
Susie McAvoy
Susie McAvoy rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2015