Start by marking “A Brisket, a Casket (A Deadly Deli Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Brisket, a Casket (A Deadly Deli Mystery, #1)

A Brisket, a Casket (A Deadly Deli Mystery #1)

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  515 ratings  ·  57 reviews
Murder's on the menu in this savory debut.

Gwen (nee Katz) Silver heard the brisket at her uncle's Jewish deli, Murray the Pastrami Swami--the only one of its kind in Nashville, Tennessee--was "to die for." But she didn't realize that meant literally. . .

Published October 1st 2010 by Kensington Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Brisket, a Casket, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Brisket, a Casket

When death comes knocking at your deli’s door, what’s a girl to do?!

That’s exactly the situation that Gwen Silver, aka Katz, finds herself in when she takes over the Jewish deli of her beloved, deceased Uncle Murray - known as the Pastrami Swami. During Murray’s grand re-opening night of Kosher Karaoke, long time customer, well known and loved local Nashville celebrity, Buster Sergeant, keels over, dead, while on stage performing a rousing rendition of King of the Road. As talk of poisoning runs
Okay, I don't like being critical of authors because it takes a lot of work and guts to get a book published. So with that said, it's with a lot more feeling for the accomplishment that this book ws published than anything else, that I give this book two stars over one star. I feel like the murder mystery got lost in this book and was more about saving the deli after Uncle Murray dies. I didn't really feel a bond with any of the characters. Reflecting on the story after finishing, I'm not sure I ...more
Lynn Demsky
“Murder's on the menu in this savory debut.
When Gwen learns she's inherited Murray's, the native New Yorker leaves her chaotic career and messy divorce behind to start over in Nashville. But the venture seems doomed from the start. Murray's taken his recipes and secret list of food sup
Oct 11, 2011 Shay marked it as books-i-couldn-t-finish  ·  review of another edition
I tried, I really tried to finish this book. I like culinary mysteries, so I thought this would be a fun book. Something about it, though, just bores me. I don't find anything objectionable- not the characters, plot, etc.- but I just find myself not wanting to read this book. Indeed, I'll go for days without picking it up. So, I'm putting this aside because you shouldn't have to struggle to read a book that's supposed to be just fun, light reading.
Barbara ★
I usually like foodie mysteries but this one just didn't do it for me. I hated it right from the first chapter and it just didn't get any better. Honestly there wasn't a likable character in the whole thing and the whole Jewish thing seemed overplayed to me. For the most part, the mystery kind of got swept under the rug in favor of trying to save the deli itself. Not a series I would continue.
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This is a new series and although it was entertaining, I can see need for character development, and work on the dialog.

It is so difficult to start off introducing the world to a new set of characters. Gwen has bones of a good one but needs to develop a backbone in her dealings with her employees. I sense that the next book may well do that.

The recipes are nice and a pleasant addition.
❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes)
I'm not sure what I think of this first book - I liked the story, and the premise, but it felt a bit wooden to me. This sometimes happens for me on the first book of a series, and I usually warm up to it by the second or third (or discard the series all together). I'll definitely read the next book in the series and see how it goes before making a decision.
CJ - So, you wanna play with magic?

Quick and easy read with a simple plot and simple characters. The editor took their job too seriously when it came to the character development and the plot development but then forgot how to spell or look for extra spaces.

Interesting enough for me to read the next one and hope that these 2d characters become 3d.
I really was looking forward to this one since I live in Nashville. Well I have realized it may not be a good thing to read a book set in your home town. I got lost in being too critical about the things that were incorrect or felt way off for my own town. I even got so petty about it that I had to stop reading for a bit when she said the news at 11pm. We have never had news at 11. It is always at 10 or even 9pm. See how silly I was being. Other than the missteps with my town, it was a pleasant ...more
A fast read, entertaining and mindless.
I've really been into the foodie mystery genre lately. But I have to say, this one kind of fell flat for me. I just couldn't get into it at all.

Gwen, after a divorce and leaving New York, ends up with her Uncle's deli in Tennessee. Things aren't going so well though, especially when one of her most famous patrons ends up dead on her floor on karaoke night. Then soon after, someone is after her life as well. Its hard enough running a struggling business but she has to contend with a sleazy lawyer

Gwen (nee Katz) Silver heard the brisket at her uncle’s Jewish deli, Murray the Pastrami Swami—the only one of its kind in Nashville, Tennessee—was “to die for.” But she didn’t realize that meant literally…

When Gwen learns she’s inherited Murray’s, the native New Yorker leaves her chaotic career and messy divorce behind to start over in Nashville. But the venture seems doomed from the start. Murray’s taken his recipes and secret list of food suppliers to the grave with him, and ruthless real est
1st in series

After her uncle died, newly divorced New Yorker Gwen Katz-Silver aka Nash, inherits her deceased uncles' Jewish Deli. Things start to go south for the deli when a long time customer Buster Sergeant bites the big one on stage during karaoke night. After Gwen is attacked and shoved into her walk in refigerator, business starts to come to a crawl. Enter in slimey real estate developer, Royce Sinclair and his creepy atterney, Carl Liarson, trying to buy out Gwens deli. Gwen decides to s
Gwen inherited Murrays and leaves New York to come to Nashville to run it. Murray has taken his recipes to the grave and the whlole place is having money problems. A long time customer bites into a brisket and dies,plus Gwen is being pushed to sell out . Gwen has to ifigure out how to save her business,find the killer and deal with a new love.
This is the first book of a new series. I found it slightly slow going, especailly everytime there was a need for a cigarette justification, and some things that were mentioned as being Jewish, could have used a little more explaination for non-Jewish readers, especially if this was a Kosher deli... some things that were happening would not be approved, or would need to be rededicated by a Rabbi.... (sorry my dad had Jewish roots and we had a lot of Jewish friends growing up). It took over 1/2 o ...more
I only gave this two stars because the story was bogged down in details that did not pertain to the mystery itself. This story is the first in a series and was trying to introduce a lot of new characters and details. The interactions were forced and contrived. I was not a huge fan of the story and its change of POV.
A free download for my Kindle, so I'm not too disappointed with it. A pretty mindless mystery. Reminded me of my days in Creative Writing class in college.
Did anyone else read this one...thought it was good, got the second one and wondered what happened to the flow of characters?
Gwen's marriage and life in New York are over, but she's inherited the only Kosher-style deli in Nashville from her beloved Uncle Murray. With his loyal staff, she reopens the deli, but she knows that its financial situation is precarious. When a customer dies during Kosher Karakoke night, the deli reaps more bad publicity. A real estate hotshot wants to buy her out or at least date her. After an attempt on her life, Gwen decides it's time to go through the morass of papers in Murray's old offic ...more
Wyshona D. Lawson
This was a cute cozy. I figured it out, but the Silver Foxes helped me!
Gwen certainly had a lot dumped in her lap all at once, can she handle it all or will her new life fall apart before it really starts?

There are a lot of really interesting characters around to keep things interesting at the Deli Gwen inherited from her uncle, hopefully they can help to hold it all together while Gwen finds the answers needed to move everything forward.

I have to say I really hate the character of Royce, & I think it is odd that Gwen would give him the time of day considering
This book was just OK. I actually forgot what the main character's name was at one point, and there were long stretches of the book where nothing led to the solution to the mystery. There really was no way for the reader to solve it from the minimal number of clues given in the story. And as for the ending--let's just say that I think Gwen, the main character, made a very poor choice. That was compounded by the author not allowing her to even realize that she had a choice.
Melissa Summers
A divorced cigarette smoking, chocoholic New Yorker inherits a kosher deli in Tennessee from her uncle. It's not just a death during karaoke night that threatens the future of the deli.

While a cozy mystery, I had a bit of hard time getting to know the main character and the town. However, I would be happy to read the next book in the series and explore the characters further.

This was a free book offering for Kindle which is now 3.99. Lending is enabled.
Gwen inherits a deli in Nashville when her uncle dies. At her first catered event, a local celebrity dies while singing karaoke. To save her business, she tries to figure out why. I enjoyed the book overall = had a little problem in the beginning where I felt things were all coming too fast at me, but light humor and interesting characters kept me reading. Not the strongest mystery (I figured it out pretty early) but a nice start to a new series.
Not a bad read in general. It is just pretty slow and slightly predictable. It looks to be that a second part of this story is in the works (which needs to happen). However I'm pretty sure I wont be picking it up. When ending a book that will have multiple parts needs to leave you in a state where you can't wait for the next one to come out, this one does not do that. The ending was just plain awkward and disappointing.
This was actually more like 3.5 stars, but since you can't give 1/2 stars here, 3 it is! I liked this story, the characters and the setting. I'm a little familiar with parts of Nashville, so was fun to see the areas I could identify. Gwen was smart, but not too smart, and not full of the NYC bluster you see in some people who are from there and relocate to places where they feel superior. I'll read the next for sure!
Laura de Leon
3.5 stars for this perfectly pleasant cozy mystery. Well, as pleasant as any book involving murder is likely to be, of course.

It's not a series I'll be making an effort to follow, but I certainly would enjoy picking up another volume at some point.
As always I finished this cozy mystery very quickly. I really liked the main character Gwen, however could have done without the constant cigarette craving references. A cute story and I look forward to the next installment.
A quick, superficial read. No real substance to the story, no real background given to the characters, a little stereotypical, and a little boring. A good read if you're looking for something to pass the time though.
  • Delicious and Suspicious (A Memphis BBQ Mystery #1)
  • Dead Air (A Talk Radio Mystery #1)
  • Elvis and the Dearly Departed (A Southern Cousins Mystery, #1)
  • A Killing in Antiques (Lucy St. Elmo Antiques, #1)
  • How to Host a Killer Party (Party Planning, #1)
  • Sketch Me If You Can (A Portrait of Crime Mystery, #1)
  • Lye in Wait (Home Crafting Mystery, #1)
  • Buzz Off (Queen Bee, #1)
  • A Tisket, A Tasket, A Fancy Stolen Casket (A Callie Parrish Mystery #1)
  • A Deadly Row (A Mystery By The Numbers, #1)
  • Die Buying (A Mall Cop Mystery, #1)
  • Chili Con Corpses (A Supper Club Mystery, #3)
  • Murder at the PTA (Beth Kennedy #1)
  • Sink Trap (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #1)
  • Assault with a Deadly Glue Gun (Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mystery #1)
  • Killer Mousse (A Della Cooks Mystery #1)
  • French Polished Murder (A Daring Finds Mystery, #2)
  • Farm Fresh Murder (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #1)
A native of Brooklyn, New York, Delia Rosen is the author of A Brisket, A Casket, One Foot in the Gravy, A Killer in the Rye, From Herring to Eternity, To Kill a Matzo Ball, and Fry me a Liver. She now lives in Manhattan. She spends her time between writing and searching for the best bagels she can find. She has two identical twin Siamese cats, named Johnson & Johnson, because she can't tell t ...more
More about Delia Rosen...

A Deadly Deli Mystery (6 books)
  • One Foot in the Gravy (A Deadly Deli Mystery, #2)
  • A Killer in the Rye (A Deadly Deli Mystery #3)
  • From Herring to Eternity (A Deadly Deli Mystery #4)
  • To Kill a Matzo Ball: