Start by marking “Asterix Omnibus, vol. 1 (Asterix, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
Asterix Omnibus, vol. 1 (Asterix, #1-3)

Asterix Omnibus, vol. 1 (Asterix #1-3)

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The three stories that started it all -- gathered together in one beautiful volume!

Asterix the Gaul introduces us to our indomitable hero and his friends, who try to defend one small Gallic village from the surrounding Romans. In Asterix and the Golden Sickle, he, Obelix, and Lutetia try to buy a new sickle for Getafix. But somehow the sicklesmith has disappeared without
Published October 4th 2011 by Orion

To ask other readers questions about Asterix Omnibus, vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Asterix Omnibus, vol. 1

James
Because De bello Gallico, juvenile humor, Latin grammar jokes, and bad puns (the antagonist in the first volume is a centurion named Crismus Bonus). I've meant to read Asterix forever. I was finally prodded to do so by a review in Confronting the Classics . If I were an upper middle-class tween from an earlier generation (one that, like a young Mary Beard, might have had a little Latin under the belt by middle school), these would be hilarious. For the pickier, somewhat more grown-up reader, the ...more
Tim Roast
This book combines the first three Asterix adventures into one volume, thus it is the ideal place to start if you're new to his stories.

The first is Asterix the Gaul which introduces many of the themes that follow in the following 30-odd books: the premise of a Gaulish village resisting against the might of the Roman army; the Romans getting a good biffing from those villagers whenever they attempt to take it; Asterix's craftiness; the magic potion as produced by the druid, Getafix, that gives t
Khairul H.
The first three Asterix books. Great stories (brings back memories) but I'm not giving it full marks because at this stage the artwork was still rough and Uderzo hasn't settled down with the "look" of the characters. That only begins in Asterix and Cleopatra I think. In this first omnibus, the three stories collected all revolve around the druid Getafix and his secret potion that gives super strength for a little while to anyone who drinks it. Hilarity and bad puns ensue.
mairywo
Eine Kindheit ohne Asterix? Erinnerungen ohne Asterix? Ein Leben ohne Asterix? NEIN![return]Der kleine Held meiner Kindheit hat endlich auch Einzug in mein Bücherregal erhalten. Nachdem ich die Bücher jahrelang immer von meiner Mutter auslieh, habe ich sie mir selber auch gekauft damit ich sie wann immer ich will lesen kann. So ein- bis zweimal im Jahr...[return]Ausserdem war er der Beginn einer grossen Begeisterung für Comics.
William Clemens
This was so great, who doesn't love puns? Well...I ghuess many people don't, but I do, and do druids apparently.

The artwork is bright and vibrant and the humor is well crafted I can now see why kids like these so much, but I think they also stand up pretty well for adults.
David
I bought a copy the moment I saw this. Read it during my schooling days and I loved it back then. Still loving it after re-reading this. If I see another omnibus for Asterix and Obelix, I'll probably get them too.
Yudha
Eachtimes i turn the pages,i laugh my a** off,my body feels like every cell has been renewed and regenerated.
overrated?
prove me wrong!
Gavin
Ahhhh. Took me right back to my childhood - by Toutatis!

Now I'll be buying the rest of these omnibus editions.

Jim
Love this series!

My editions are all in English. Looking for the Latin translations.
Phil
Not as funny as I remembered from being a kid, but still nice and nostalgic.
Veronica Hester
This is my first Asterix volume I have read, and I enjoyed it!
Sacred Heart
Sacred Heart marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Basem.android
Basem.android marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Shayan Raghavjee
Shayan Raghavjee marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Adventures of Tintin, Vol. 5: Land of Black Gold / Destination Moon / Explorers on the Moon
  • From Hell Companion
  • Penny Arcade Volume 6: The Halls Below
  • The Silver Pony
  • Walt Disney's Uncle Scrooge: Only a Poor Old Man (The Carl Barks Library, #12)
  • Strangers in Paradise, Volume 17: Tattoo
  • The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
  • The Fugue (Fall of Cthulhu, #1)
  • The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck Companion
  • Corto Maltese: La ballade de la mer salée
  • The Unwritten: Tommy Taylor and the Ship That Sank Twice
  • User Friendly
  • The Joy of a Peanuts Christmas: 50 Years of Holiday Comics!
  • La conque de Ramor (La Quête de l'oiseau du temps, #1)
  • The Complete Guide To Asterix
René Goscinny was a French author, editor and humorist, who is best known for the comic book Astérix, which he created with illustrator Albert Uderzo, and for his work on the comic series Lucky Luke with Morris (considered the series' golden age).

Series:
* Asterix
More about René Goscinny...
Le petit Nicolas (Le petit Nicolas, #1) Asterix the Gaul (Asterix, #1) Asterix and Cleopatra (Asterix, #6) Asterix in Britain (Asterix, #8) Asterix and the Golden Sickle (Asterix, #2)