Start by marking “Made to Play!: Handmade Toys and Crafts for Growing Imaginations” as Want to Read:
Made to Play!: Handmade Toys and Crafts for Growing Imaginations

Made to Play!: Handmade Toys and Crafts for Growing Imaginations

Delight young children and encourage play through unique handmade toys. From sewn and stuffed musical instruments to interlocking paper building blocks and wooden animal figurines, the projects in this book are meant to encourage open-ended play. Organized by kid-loving subjects, the toys here follow the themes of Zoo; House; Blocks, Cars & Trucks; Dress-Up; Music; and ...more
Published October 11th 2011 by Roost Books

To ask other readers questions about Made to Play!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Made to Play!

Nikki
Sep 01, 2011 Nikki rated it really liked it
I’m not one of those moms who can create awesome crafts out of random household objects without a ton of assistance, and even with loads of help and super-easy directions, they still come out looking like something from a Tim Burton film. Yet I persevere in my attempts to rule the crafting universe, to whittle wood into marching soldiers, to build skyscrapers out of toothpicks, to…wait, I’m thinking of Navy Seabees here… I just want to make something that doesn’t fall apart in five minutes or lo ...more
Shala Kerrigan
Dec 11, 2011 Shala Kerrigan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafts, make-it
Made by Joel is one of my favorite style and d.i.y. blogs. So naturally, I had high expectations for his book of toys for kids. Made to Play met those expectations easily.

The projects are easy to make and are simple and elegant, giving lots of room for imagination to play. They are also inexpensive and many of them creatively re-use scraps of wood, fabric and buttons.

Most of the projects are meant for kids who are beyond the stage of putting everything in their mouths, but some can be used for b
Mandy
Mar 29, 2011 Mandy rated it really liked it
If you are one of the many parents enthralled by simple handmade toys but are intimidated at the prospect of making them yourself, never fear! Joel Henriques will help get you started with the ideas in his new book coming out next October, Made to Play!: Handmade Toys and Crafts for Growing Imaginations.

Contrary to what companies may have you believe, children don't need, nor truly want, lots of flashy toys which play by themselves (where is the fun in that, anyway?). Instead, simple toys which
Sharon Tyler
Oct 10, 2011 Sharon Tyler rated it it was amazing
Made to Play! Handmade Toys and Crafts for Growing Imaginations by Joel Henriques is a collection of thirty-five crafts from a father that has tried and tested everything detailed within with his own children. Imaginative and open-ended play with home made toys, built manly from recycled or purposed material. The projects are great for the crafty to take and make their own, and for the easily intimidated to follow instructions, use provided templates and create great toys for their children. I a ...more
Candace
Jul 05, 2012 Candace rated it it was amazing
I love the simplicity of this book and the projects that it contains. I love the fact that they are made with things that I have around the house or things that I can go buy cheaply from the store. I also love that some of the toys are bring along toys that fit in altoid tins to keep the kids busy and entertained at the doctor's office or in the cart at the grocery store.

Some of my favorite projects are the slotted building disks (my 12 year old will be getting these), Small wooden animals (thes
Rachel
Dec 27, 2011 Rachel rated it really liked it
I discovered Joel's blog a while ago and loved his simplistic yet original style of toys and activities for his young children. I bought three copies of the book when it came out as Christmas gifts. On Boxing Day, my sister-in-law made the zoo animals with my 3 year old and they were much loved (until my 1 year old ripped them apart.. oops). I like that you can pick up this book, grab some paper, pens and scissors and do one of the projects. You don't have to go spend a fortune to make any of th ...more
AnandaTashie
Nov 13, 2012 AnandaTashie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, non-fic
Lots of playful, imaginative toys and crafts to make for / with kids using cloth, wood, wire, and paper. There are full color photos, plus templates and illustrated instructions. I'm out of my element with woodcrafting, but some of the others are really fantastic for me. I'm going to try: zoo blanket; wooden spool birds; wire doll chairs; slotted building discs; rubber band race cars; dress-up drawings.
Lupine
Lots of really cool DIY ideas for creating toys with stuff you have on hand that promote creative thinking. Some of the projects require serious tools (i.e. saws) but others are more simple. Can be a good jumping off point for seeing what else you can make. I can see making some of these things for presents for the kids I know.
Kelli
Mar 17, 2012 Kelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, craft
not a bad book, actually quite good but I was disappointed that it didn't have a lot of the things he has on his website. I borrowed it from the library before buying and I am glad as I don't think I will buy it. His website is fabulous and has a lot of more user friendly ideas IMO
Samantha
Mar 01, 2012 Samantha rated it really liked it
From the creator of madebyjoel.com. Great ideas for handmade toys and crafts. Drawings and photos accompany every activity. I can't wait to try some of these ideas out (especially the bottle cap tamborine!) This guy is so creative and I'm glad he's sharing his genius with the rest of us!
Brandy
Nov 13, 2011 Brandy rated it really liked it
This great little book offers lots of ideas ideas for simple and easy-to-make toys and things for children. The materials needed are explained well, and the directions are very simple. This is great for me as a busy mom who sometimes needs ideas to help her out!
Nov 14, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it
My favorite projects in this book were the ones made from wood and we don't have a skill saw. So until we get one (which he says are fairly easy to find used and therefore, fairly inexpensive), I probably won't be making anything from this. I especially would like to make the dollhouse!
Kate
Dec 20, 2012 Kate rated it liked it
Good ideas in here, but the hipster overlay to everything was just too much for me to stomach. MODERN dollhouse furniture??!?! Gag me with a spoon!!
Kristina
Jul 12, 2012 Kristina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-for-b
A very cute, creative book that B and I enjoyed looking at together. It was surprising what he wanted to make (I wouldn't have picked those projects for him) and what I wanted to make.
Lisaana
Sep 20, 2013 Lisaana rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book. Really inspired creativity during a family visit, gave us old-fogey adults a chance to make toys with our young-un. Some of us fogeys hoarded the toys!
Melissa Fish
Jul 01, 2015 Melissa Fish rated it it was ok
Looks like a lot of work for something that would hold my kid's interest for less than 30 minutes. He isn't a hipster. :/
Elizabeth
Dec 10, 2011 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Meh.

I only liked a couple of the projects in this book: the dress-up drawings (great use for scraps of fabric, buttons, and other notions), and the shadow box theater.

Grace Hubbard
Apr 29, 2016 Grace Hubbard rated it it was amazing
Awesome book! This guy is amazing. At the back are all the templates to make these. Plus, a website you can go to where there are even more ideas!
Nat
Nat rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2015
Tara
Tara rated it it was ok
Sep 11, 2013
Alison Coombs
Alison Coombs rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2014
Michael Fitzgerald
Michael Fitzgerald rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2014
John
John rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2014
Daniel
Daniel rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2012
Eileen
Eileen rated it liked it
May 19, 2014
K. Lee
K. Lee rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2016
Karla
Karla rated it it was ok
Aug 29, 2012
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2011
Michelle Lashier
Michelle Lashier rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2015
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2015