Standing On The Promises : A Handbook Of Biblical Childrearing

Standing On The Promises : A Handbook Of Biblical Childrearing

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  258 ratings  ·  34 reviews
God has designed each family to be a culture - with a language, customs, traditions, and countless unspoken assumptions. The culture of the family intimately shapes the children who grow up in it. It is the duty of the father to ensure that the shaping takes place according to biblical wisdom.
Some fathers establish a rebellious culture for their children and bring upon th...more
Published (first published May 20th 1997)

Betsy
I was a bit leery going into this book since I most definitely do not agree with the recent trends in Wilson's theology/practice (Federal Vision and co.), but I really appreciated this book. There are overtones in this book that tend towards some of the theology I find questionable, but overall, this is a very thought-provoking book. The general emphasis is on the covenantal nature of the family, particularly the covenantal responsibilities of parents and the resulting covenantal benefits for th...more
CJ Bowen
Read count: 2 (Most recent: August 14, 2013)

Full of solid, fatherly common sense and wise pastoral counsel. Wilson grounds the calling of childrearing in faith: the first job of any parent is to take God at His Word, and then seek to parent accordingly. When this is done, Christian parents can expect to see the fruit of faith: faithful children.

While the central message is positive, Wilson doesn't shy away from the negative: disobedient and rebellious kids are the result of faithless or disobed...more
Brandon Barnes
Excellent book about Biblical parenting. Topics covered include God's promises to obedient parents, the way to properly discipline and reconcile with your child, and the difference between parenting from your 'own' authority or from the authority given you by God. There are more topics covered, of course, but these were the ones that were most beneficial to me.

One of my favorite things about this book was that EVERYTHING was backed up with Scripture. It is not uncommon for Christian authors to u...more
Melissa
I think this book is geared at men more than women. I did really appreciate the way Douglas Wilson's use of Scripture. It's great to read a parenting book with a Biblical basis.

The parenting advice was mostly sound, but I didn't care for Wilson's athoritarian attitude. Perhaps I felt this way because my own dad had such a beautiful humble attitude that I kept contrasting Wilson's domineering voice with my father's gentle advice.

Also he ascribes to a Calvinist theology, so as a Wesleyan Arminian,...more
Gary
Like Shepherding a Child's Heart, this made an impact in the way I parent my children. I will be referencing it for many years to come. I listened to Doug's Loving Little One's sermon series at about the same time I started this book and came away from that blessed and edified as well. I think what I got most from the sermons, or at least what I keep hearing in my head right now is "remember their frames" and what I got from the book is, like all of Doug's material, we (parents) must ground ever...more
Lacie
Excellent book! I enjoy Mr. Wilson’s style – he is pointed, clear, and practical. He doesn’t create ideals that can’t be brought to daily life. If he isn’t going to apply it practically, he doesn’t bother bringing it up. My fiancé and I started reading this book together before we were engaged. The book introduced a host of great conversation topics for us, and we appreciated his discussions on establishing a Christian family culture, deepening family relationships, and shepherding children’s so...more
Darin
Great book that gives a biblical defense for non-public education of our children. You may not agree with it, but it is very interesting and worthwhile to read. It gave me a lot of encouragement for the way that we have chosen to raise our children. I never really thought of many of the scriptural references that this book listed in particular, but the general philosophy I have had really lined up with what was in this book.
Gary
After an excellent summary of why we must regard our children as in the Covenant, and what that really means, Doug passes on to the practical stuff of teaching and discipline. A thorough mixture of sound principles and wise advice from an intelligent father and pastor.

Loved it.

Favourite part: the advice on discipline followed closely by the section on the continuity of the old and new administrations of the Covenant.
Michael Cranford
Wonderful read for parents both young and old. Wilson provides the Biblical foundation for covenantal thinking as it pertains to raising our children "in the nuture and admonition of the Lord." The book can be complimented nicely by Wilson's sermon series, "Loving Little Ones." I especially appreciated the practical list of Scripture references for use in dealing with various sins in the lives of our children.
Abe Goolsby
A wonderful treatment of the promises and responsibilities given to Christian parents, both of which are far weightier than we tend to expect. The discussion extends to the biblical understanding of covenant applied to the family, the authority of parents, the understanding and application of godly discipline, wisdom in guiding younger as well as older children and teens, etc.
John
This is the best book on parenting that I've read. Wilson builds his foundation from the Bible and explains the promises that obedient parents are given in the Bible--promises that God is faithful to keep. He then applies the foundation to practical wisdom in how to discipline and educate our children. If you're looking for a book on parenting--this is the place to start.
Spencer
This book is not very long, but it is jam-packed with good stuff. With my first son on the way, it makes me very hopeful and excited. It not only makes me excited to "stand on the promises" individually, but also to see other christians standing on them while fulfilling the command to raise their own children according to the Word of God.
Toby
This really is a great overview of the basic challenges, requirements, and of course the promises that attend Christian parenting. I read this several years ago, but this should probably be required reading every reading ever few years for parents in the thick of it.
Caleb Ripple
If you are asking me, this is a must read for expecting parents especially but parents in general for that matter who desire to be Biblical. For me this not only taught me about parenting but also about being a child of Abba Father.

An easy five stars!
Leslie
Succinct, clear, advice, packed full of wisdom, no fluff, hard-hitting and convicting (which is what I want), insightful, encouraging, Biblical. A must-read for parents!
Toria
Although I didn't agree with everything, I found this book very helpful and especially enjoyed his chapters on the covenantal promises of God to parents.
Mark Nenadov
Though there are significant areas I disagree with, this has been a helpful, challenging book to me. It has a good amount of good practical advice.
Lori Murray
Jan 22, 2010 Lori Murray is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This book is taking me a long time to read as I tend to get a bit confused as to what Doug Wilson is really saying. I will finish it one day....
Nicole Conrad
still thinking about this one. Not sure what I think entirely. I'd like to read something more grace-oriented to balance with it.
Lindsey Doolan
Best owners' manual I've seen on kids (yes, aside from the Bible). Will always be on my shelf.
Megan
I really gleaned a lot from this book. great overview
of covenant theology. notes on evermore.
Jason Farley
The spine finally broke on this one I have referenced it and read it so many times.
Blair and Ben
Good parenting advice...I need to read it again...and again!
Christopher  Waugh
A must read for child rearing; an essential read for pastors.
Peter N.
A good solid book on what parenting in the covenant looks like.
Chris Comis
One of the best out there. Wilson really is inimitable.
Joe
college read. need to read again
Brian
Again, really good balanced advice.
Christopher
Good solid, biblical advice.
Joe Stout
This is Wilson at his best!
  • The Fruit of Her Hands: Respect and the Christian Woman
  • Against Christianity
  • Through New Eyes: Developing a Biblical View of the World
  • Teach Them Diligently: How to Use the Scriptures in Child Training
  • When You Rise Up: A Covenantal Approach to Homeschooling
  • Loving the Little Years: Motherhood in the Trenches
  • Notes from the Tilt-A-Whirl: Wide-Eyed Wonder in God's Spoken World
  • Thoughts for Young Men
  • Age of Opportunity: A Biblical Guide to Parenting Teens (Resources for Changing Lives)
  • A Mother's Heart: A Look at Values, Vision, and Character for the Christian Mother
  • Trial and Triumph
  • Home-Making
  • The Christ of the Covenants
  • Instructing a Child's Heart
  • Gospel-Powered Parenting, How the Gospel Shapes and Transforms Parenting
  • Family Driven Faith: Doing What It Takes to Raise Sons and Daughters Who Walk with God
  • Van Til's Apologetic, Readings and Analysis
  • Westminster Confession Of Faith (1646-7) (and the Larger and Shorter Catechisms, Directories for Public and Private Worship, Form of Presbyterial Church Government, the Sum of Saving Knowledge, National Covenant and the Solemn League and Covenant)
I write in order to make the little voices in my head go away. Thus far it hasn't worked.
More about Douglas Wilson...
Reforming Marriage Her Hand in Marriage Future Men Wordsmithy: Hot Tips for the Writing Life Recovering the Lost Tools of Learning

“When the parent is qualified to discipline, he probably does not feel like it, and when he feels like it, he is probably not qualified.” 9 likes