Start by marking “Standing On The Promises : A Handbook Of Biblical Childrearing” as Want to Read:
Standing On The Promises : A Handbook Of Biblical Childrearing

Standing On The Promises : A Handbook Of Biblical Childrearing

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  321 ratings  ·  39 reviews
God has designed each family to be a culture - with a language, customs, traditions, and countless unspoken assumptions. The culture of the family intimately shapes the children who grow up in it. It is the duty of the father to ensure that the shaping takes place according to biblical wisdom.
Some fathers establish a rebellious culture for their children and bring upon th
Published (first published May 20th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Standing On The Promises , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Standing On The Promises

Betsy
I was a bit leery going into this book since I most definitely do not agree with the recent trends in Wilson's theology/practice (Federal Vision and co.), but I really appreciated this book. There are overtones in this book that tend towards some of the theology I find questionable, but overall, this is a very thought-provoking book. The general emphasis is on the covenantal nature of the family, particularly the covenantal responsibilities of parents and the resulting covenantal benefits for th ...more
Adam T Calvert
In usual Wilson style, this book was theologically meaty as well as practical with great insights.

There were some interesting views that I'm still having a hard time digesting (yet I'm also having a hard time refuting them with anything other than, "that doesn't seem right").

Better than any other typical parenting book on the market (as with his book on marriage), offering stories and anecdotes with some Scripture sprinkled on top (or even throughout), Douglas Wilson's style is to build from Scr
CJ Bowen
Read count: 2 (Most recent: August 14, 2013)

Full of solid, fatherly common sense and wise pastoral counsel. Wilson grounds the calling of childrearing in faith: the first job of any parent is to take God at His Word, and then seek to parent accordingly. When this is done, Christian parents can expect to see the fruit of faith: faithful children.

While the central message is positive, Wilson doesn't shy away from the negative: disobedient and rebellious kids are the result of faithless or disobed
Brandon Barnes
Excellent book about Biblical parenting. Topics covered include God's promises to obedient parents, the way to properly discipline and reconcile with your child, and the difference between parenting from your 'own' authority or from the authority given you by God. There are more topics covered, of course, but these were the ones that were most beneficial to me.

One of my favorite things about this book was that EVERYTHING was backed up with Scripture. It is not uncommon for Christian authors to u
Toby
This really is a great overview of the basic challenges, requirements, and of course the promises that attend Christian parenting. I read this several years ago, but this should probably be required reading every reading ever few years for parents in the thick of it.
Melissa
I think this book is geared at men more than women. I did really appreciate the way Douglas Wilson's use of Scripture. It's great to read a parenting book with a Biblical basis.

The parenting advice was mostly sound, but I didn't care for Wilson's athoritarian attitude. Perhaps I felt this way because my own dad had such a beautiful humble attitude that I kept contrasting Wilson's domineering voice with my father's gentle advice.

Also he ascribes to a Calvinist theology, so as a Wesleyan Arminian,
Gary
Like Shepherding a Child's Heart, this made an impact in the way I parent my children. I will be referencing it for many years to come. I listened to Doug's Loving Little One's sermon series at about the same time I started this book and came away from that blessed and edified as well. I think what I got most from the sermons, or at least what I keep hearing in my head right now is "remember their frames" and what I got from the book is, like all of Doug's material, we (parents) must ground ever ...more
Troy Anderson
Aug 21, 2014 Troy Anderson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any parent regardless of their child's age.
Wonderful! Chapter two was especially encouraging as Pastor Wilson exposited the promises of God to parents. After laying down the biblical presuppositions of covenantal childrearing he then gives the specific application of godly discipline. This is not the first parenting book I've ever read and I'm certain it won't be the last but this book will be near the top as I continue to seek wisdom in raising my children. I'm so grateful for this resource.
Lacie
Excellent book! I enjoy Mr. Wilson’s style – he is pointed, clear, and practical. He doesn’t create ideals that can’t be brought to daily life. If he isn’t going to apply it practically, he doesn’t bother bringing it up. My fiancé and I started reading this book together before we were engaged. The book introduced a host of great conversation topics for us, and we appreciated his discussions on establishing a Christian family culture, deepening family relationships, and shepherding children’s so ...more
Jeff
I really liked Wilson's "Reforming Marriage", but "Standing on the Promises" is entirely dependent on a prior belief in Covenant Theology. Wilson hangs everything he says on a Covenant interpretation of the whole of Scripture. He believes the aphorisms in Proverbs are iron-clad promises given to all believers, so your child's election can be guaranteed by your obedience. He believes there is a Scriptural mandate to pull your kids from government schools due to Deuteronomy 6. Etc.

If you love Cove
Darin
Great book that gives a biblical defense for non-public education of our children. You may not agree with it, but it is very interesting and worthwhile to read. It gave me a lot of encouragement for the way that we have chosen to raise our children. I never really thought of many of the scriptural references that this book listed in particular, but the general philosophy I have had really lined up with what was in this book.
Gary
After an excellent summary of why we must regard our children as in the Covenant, and what that really means, Doug passes on to the practical stuff of teaching and discipline. A thorough mixture of sound principles and wise advice from an intelligent father and pastor.

Loved it.

Favourite part: the advice on discipline followed closely by the section on the continuity of the old and new administrations of the Covenant.
Michael Cranford
Wonderful read for parents both young and old. Wilson provides the Biblical foundation for covenantal thinking as it pertains to raising our children "in the nuture and admonition of the Lord." The book can be complimented nicely by Wilson's sermon series, "Loving Little Ones." I especially appreciated the practical list of Scripture references for use in dealing with various sins in the lives of our children.
Abe Goolsby
A wonderful treatment of the promises and responsibilities given to Christian parents, both of which are far weightier than we tend to expect. The discussion extends to the biblical understanding of covenant applied to the family, the authority of parents, the understanding and application of godly discipline, wisdom in guiding younger as well as older children and teens, etc.
John
This is the best book on parenting that I've read. Wilson builds his foundation from the Bible and explains the promises that obedient parents are given in the Bible--promises that God is faithful to keep. He then applies the foundation to practical wisdom in how to discipline and educate our children. If you're looking for a book on parenting--this is the place to start.
Spencer
This book is not very long, but it is jam-packed with good stuff. With my first son on the way, it makes me very hopeful and excited. It not only makes me excited to "stand on the promises" individually, but also to see other christians standing on them while fulfilling the command to raise their own children according to the Word of God.
Will
I need to read this book every year. This is a gold mine for parents with young kids. I catch myself reading it and feeling the whole range of emotions guilt, frustration, desire, happiness, security etc. I wish I could remember all these things. It's a must read.
Caleb Ripple
If you are asking me, this is a must read for expecting parents especially but parents in general for that matter who desire to be Biblical. For me this not only taught me about parenting but also about being a child of Abba Father.

An easy five stars!
Becky Pliego
I absolutely love this book. The gospel is presented from all the angles as the only hope for both children and parents. Excellent.

Have read this book once a year for about 10 yrs now (2014).
Leslie
Succinct, clear, advice, packed full of wisdom, no fluff, hard-hitting and convicting (which is what I want), insightful, encouraging, Biblical. A must-read for parents!
Toria
Although I didn't agree with everything, I found this book very helpful and especially enjoyed his chapters on the covenantal promises of God to parents.
Mark Nenadov
Though there are significant areas I disagree with, this has been a helpful, challenging book to me. It has a good amount of good practical advice.
Lori Murray
Jan 22, 2010 Lori Murray is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This book is taking me a long time to read as I tend to get a bit confused as to what Doug Wilson is really saying. I will finish it one day....
Nicole Conrad
still thinking about this one. Not sure what I think entirely. I'd like to read something more grace-oriented to balance with it.
Josh Shelton
Great book! The biblical structure of the family is clearly laid, and much advice and wisdom is mixed in.
Lindsey Doolan
Best owners' manual I've seen on kids (yes, aside from the Bible). Will always be on my shelf.
Megan
I really gleaned a lot from this book. great overview
of covenant theology. notes on evermore.
Jason Farley
The spine finally broke on this one I have referenced it and read it so many times.
Blair and Ben
Good parenting advice...I need to read it again...and again!
Christopher  Waugh
A must read for child rearing; an essential read for pastors.
  • The Fruit of Her Hands: Respect and the Christian Woman
  • By This Standard: The Authority of God's Law Today
  • Given for You: Reclaiming Calvin's Doctrine of the Lord's Supper
  • When You Rise Up: A Covenantal Approach to Homeschooling
  • Loving the Little Years: Motherhood in the Trenches
  • Training Hearts, Teaching Minds: Family Devotions Based on the Shorter Catechism
  • A Mother's Heart: A Look at Values, Vision, and Character for the Christian Mother
  • Notes from the Tilt-A-Whirl: Wide-Eyed Wonder in God's Spoken World
  • Age of Opportunity: A Biblical Guide to Parenting Teens (Resources for Changing Lives)
  • Trial and Triumph
  • Instructing a Child's Heart
  • Home-Making
  • Hints on Child Training: A Book That's Been Helping Parents Like Your...for More Than 100 Years
  • Gospel-Powered Parenting, How the Gospel Shapes and Transforms Parenting
I write in order to make the little voices in my head go away. Thus far it hasn't worked.
More about Douglas Wilson...
Reforming Marriage Future Men Her Hand in Marriage Wordsmithy: Hot Tips for the Writing Life Recovering the Lost Tools of Learning

“When the parent is qualified to discipline, he probably does not feel like it, and when he feels like it, he is probably not qualified.” 10 likes