Letters from the Hive: An Intimate History of Bees, Honey, and Humankind

Letters from the Hive: An Intimate History of Bees, Honey, and Humankind

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  19 reviews
They work hard, are devoted to family, love sex, and know the importance of a good piece of real estate. Honey bees, and the daily workings of their close-knit colonies, are one of nature's great miracles. And they produce one of nature's greatest edible bounties: honey. More than just a palate pleaser, honey was once an offering to the gods, a preservative, and a medicine...more
Published May 30th 2006 by Bantam (first published 2005)

Sesana
With a book like this, a genuine passion for the subject really makes the read much more enjoyable. And Buchmann is obviously, emphatically (and professionally- he's an entomologist) passionate about the subjects of bees, beekeeping, and honey. Where this book shines above others that I've read on the subject is the current anthropological studies of beekeeping and honey hunting. It's truly fascinating, and I don't remember ever having read the same depth of information on that subject elsewhere...more
Ladiibbug
Aug 27, 2009 Ladiibbug rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Nature or Honey Lovers
Non-Fiction

A delightful, in-depth book ... everything you ever wanted to know about bees and honey.

From bees in the earliest civilizations, to myths and folklore about bees, following honey hunters of native cultures who use old traditional methods of gathering honey ... and so much more.

I enjoyed the section on the interaction between bees and flowers. The detailed "Inside The Hive" info was fascinating as well.

I learned that there are many flavors of honey, depending upon which flowers the bee...more
Zena Casteel
Interesting and informative, touching upon a wide range of topics from history, religion, entomology and medical science to gourmet cooking and beekeeping practices. This book is certain to provide food (in this case, honey) for thought. It is a bit disorganized, but in some ways that adds to the books charm. Overall, a fun read.
Florence Millo
Letters from the Hive

I found this charming book very interesting and informative. For example, I had no idea there were many prehistoric cave paintings depicting ancient honey hunting. But once you look at the figures, it is obvious what they are doing. The book takes you back through the history of honey hunting and bee keeping. It takes you on treks through Maya villages in the Yucatan peninsula, to Nepal, Australia, and India to learn the history and current practices of bee keeping and honey...more
Bethany
Picked this up at the BPL Park Slope branch...was pretty disappointed. I thought it would delve into more of the scientific/social aspects of bee colonies, or the recent findings that there are fewer and fewer bees each year. The book is much more focused on the author's obsession with honey. We have Pooh bear for that.

Is this a book about bees or a coming of age novel?? please read this excerpt from chapter 1:

"This was the moment I had been longing for through out the long winter months, a per...more
Chris
Letters from the Hive is a detailed look at honey production and the relationship between humans and bees around the world. Buchmann, an entomologist, clearly loves his subject and his enthusiasm is contagious for any reader. His information seems well documented, and his introduction of folklore alongside historical accounts is well done for a layman. It's a shame he couldn't have collaborated with a folklorist for these sections. At times his generalizations are slightly larger than I feel com...more
Diane
Much of this book is just an accumulation of facts about bees. I did like the chapters on the current anthropology of honey collecting in central america and other places. I also liked the creation myths and other stories that include bees. Tried a couple of his recipes - not very good. Much of Buchmann's writing is annoyingly perky but I suspect that it is genuine perkiness.
Linda Hollingsworth
This is a fascinating and informative book about the history of our relationship with bees, collecting honey, and how it has been used. As with much nonfiction literature it is not going to be a book most people read through in one sitting, but the author's unique perspective drew me in for shorter spurts of interesting and enjoyable escapes into the world of bees.
Mark
Not what I was hoping for. I was expecting a synopsis of the honey bee ala Malcolm Gladwell but got a 7th grade text book instead. Interesting tidbits here and there, but with too many sidebars and outtakes to make it a truly enjoyable read. I learned more from my father-in-law beekeeeper in five minutes than I learned here in several hours. Blah.
Karen
I love bees and any book that goes into this kind of detail will fascinate me. There is folklore, recipes, history - a little of everything. The personal notes are great. The kind of book to read again some summer day when I am lazy and in the garden listening to the hum of bees and other insects keeping the natural world running along smoothly.
Jen
I was not as taken with this as I was with Fruitless Fall. My love of bees is somewhat emotional, (not sure why...) and this writer did not tap into that feeling of awe and wonder that made me fall in love with bees.

So I didn't finish it, maybe the end is really great but I guess I'll never know...
Nice collection of stories of the life of people and honey bees. Mr. Buchmann also gave examples of the many different types of honey, the different bees that collect this honey, and a lot of recipes!

In a word, the book was sweet. ;)
Rachael
I actually had to stop reading this book or I was never going to read another book again. I just cannot get into it, it is boring me to absolute tears. Maybe I'll come back to it later and feel differently...
Elizabeth

This book provides much more information on primitive beekeeping than most books about honeybees. It also provides a fantastic section on medicinal uses for honey.
Margaret
curious little creatures. the queen bee decides the gender of the eggs she is going to lay. a perk since she spends the majority of her life just laying eggs!
Teresa
Good history of bees, but dull at time.
Also impressed with recipes using honey at the end.
Nancy
Just started raising honey bees this year and my brother bought me this book. I loved it!
Rose Ann
Jul 06, 2008 Rose Ann rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: gardeners, bee-lovers
Fairly interesting book about bees and the beekeepers year.
Trisha
Very interesting look at the lives of bees and their keepers.
Carmen Gómez Pérez
Carmen Gómez Pérez marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014

marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
Korice
Korice marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Hexperiment
Hexperiment marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Stephen Buchmann is a beekeeper and an associate professor of entomology at the University of Arizona in Tucson. He served on a National Academy of Sciences committee on the status of pollinators in North America and is a member of the Pollinator Partnership. He coauthored two nonfiction adult titles, The Forgotten Pollinators and Letters from the Hive: An Intimate History of Bees, Honey and Human...more
More about Stephen Buchmann...
Honey Bees: Letters From the Hive The Bee Tree Honey Bees: Letters from the Hive The Reason for Flowers: Their History, Culture, Biology, and How They Change Our Lives Letters from the Hive