Guardian of the Green Hill

Guardian of the Green Hill

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Only a few weeks ago, Meg Morgan and her siblings went to England for the holidays—and found themselves in the middle of a fairy war. Now the war is over, but the battle for control of the fairies has just begun.

A mysterious painter named Gwidion appears at the Rookery, ready to give the children art lessons. But his real plans are far more sinister: He means to destroy th...more
Published October 25th 2011 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

Rhonda
I have not read the first book of the series and I felt a little lost at first. Though I enjoyed the story and it does stand alone.

Phyllida Ash is the current guardian of the green hill she protects the fairies from humans and humans from ferries. Shes is in her 80's and Lysander Ash her husband have no children so no heir.

Her nieces and nephews and friends come from America not sure why. Rowan is the oldest male and Meg is oldest female(Only females inherit the guardian of Green Hill) Silly an...more
Meagan Myhren-bennett
GUARDIAN of the GREEN HILL
By Laura L Sullivan

As a note to the reader, before you read Guardian of the Green Hill you should first read book one in the series Under the Green Hill. To fully understand the book and characters this is a must!

Phyllida Ash is the object of Gwidion Thomas’s scheme to take possession of both the Rookery and the Green Hill.

A mere two weeks have passed since the battle that took place on the Green Hill on Midsummer Night. Bran is still within his Ash tree healing from hi...more
Yvensong
Jan 09, 2012 Yvensong rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Darlene Milner, fans of Narnia
I won this through Goodreads Giveaway!

I didn't read the first book, so was missing some of the background, but even so, this charming fairy tale makes for a good standalone read. The author provided enough information that as I read along, I didn't feel like there were any gaps or holes to the story line.

The story is told from an omnipresent viewpoint, so we follow several characters, which the author does quite well. I felt no confusion as to which character was performing or thinking. The main...more
Claire
Follows the story Under the Green Hill. A fantasy that I think 9 and up would enjoy.
Kat Goldin
This book is adventuresome, up-to-date, magical book and that may or may not draw students to the storyline that is appropriate for upper elementary and middle school readers. The beginning starts of well with a nod to how the kids are group together (4 from one family, the Morgans and 2 others from America) and why they are sent to England to live (a plague outbreak in North America.) The 4 main charters are well-developed and likeable; although, a times predictable.
All the children come to li...more
Nicole
Jan 11, 2012 Nicole rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fairy tale lovers
Won through Goodreads givewaways.

I guess I didn't realize when I entered the contest that this was the 2nd book in a series. I'll admit to feeling a bit out of the loop initially, but the story and characters quickly drew me in. The first book is now on my to-read list and I'm looking forward to adding it to my stack once said stack lowers a bit!

Guardian of the Green Hill follows Meg and her cohorts just after the Midsummer's Eve battle that is portrayed in Under the Green Hill. Despite not havi...more
Karla Phillips
This book is an amazing read. Meg Morgan is not just an ordinary girl, she is The Guardian Of The Green Hill. She did not really know that she was going to be the next Guardian of the Green Hill, until she went to England for the holidays to spend time with her Great Great Aunt Phyllida and Great Great Uncle Lysander. When she first got there, she had fought in the Midsummer War and killed Phyllida's father. They then brought him back to life and in doing so, she released fiaries and creatures t...more
Jillian
I received this book for free as a First Reads giveaway.

When I was younger, I was a big believer in fairies. I liked to think that they were flitting around in my backyard when I wasn't looking and hiding when I was, laughing at the silly human girl who was flipping up all the leaves of her mom's plants to try and catch a peek of one.

This book has totally reignited my fascination with fairies. Sullivan weaves a really exciting plot, wonderful characters, and enchanting fairy lore all together in...more
Kathy
I liked this one even better than UNDER THE GREEN HILL. The characters seemed more rounded and believable, even the odd magical folk I had never heard of before.

Phyllida is beginning to feel her age, and would like Meg to become her heir as the guardian of Green Hill, the person who mediates between the fair folk and humans. Meg is unsure if she wants the job, although it appeals to her in many ways, but she is sure that she is not ready for it.

All seems to be going well, until an evil distant...more
Linnae
Meg and her siblings are staying with a great-great aunt, and have become involved with the world of fairies. Meg has to choose if she will become the next Guardian: the human who mediates between fairies and other humans. While Meg is still trying to decide, her little brother is stolen by the fairies and she must get him back. Oh yeah, and there's an evil artist intent on taking over, too.

It turns out this was book 2 in a series. I was wishing I had read book 1 first. Apparently, book 1 held...more
Claire Vanderlaan
Wendy ~M/M Junkie~
I recieved this book free through Goodreads first reads, but that has in no way effected my opinion.
This was book two of the Green Hill series. It was just as fascinating as the first book. It is a young adult book that even adults will enjoy. I love the storyline and characters. I would recomend this title and I will be looking for more from this author.
Mikala
This is the second book in the series, I didn't realize that until about halfway thru. It is a very good fairy tale the author did a great job keeping your interest I'm going to recommend it to my 12 year old niece. The book kept all our emotions on their toes you were happy sad an sometimes mad an you can't help but fall in love with the characters!
Susan
The story deepens and I was especially moved by the ending, which the author took in a direction I've always liked to see. Details of various magical creatures are expanded and the rich atmosphere is well supported. Love a book where I am challenged by an occasion obscure word!
Nam Lam
When I dove into the book, Guardian of the Green Hill, confusion lingered into my mind. Before I knew it, I realized it was the second book in the series. After readjustment, I discovered something crucial: a great novel for many young bookshelves.
Jessica Longwisch
I won this from Goodreads Giveaways and I really enjoyed it! Growing up this was the kind of book I loved to read. I plan on reading the first one with my children!
Wennifred
Dec 15, 2011 Wennifred marked it as to-read
I just won a copy from Goodreads. Looking forward to reading it. Thank you.
PWRL
Jan 24, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
E
Randelin
Randelin marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Rese C. Van Noy
Rese C. Van Noy marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Julia H.
Julia H. marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
Victoria Corder
Victoria Corder marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Mikelle
Mikelle marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
ClassyCookie
ClassyCookie marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Abel
Abel added it
Mar 28, 2014
the prince
the prince marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Ladies in Waiting Under the Green Hill Delusion Love by the Morning Star The Ideal Household Appliance