Start by marking “Ember” as Want to Read:

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  1,739 ratings  ·  280 reviews
Everyone loves Prince Charming. They have to—he’s cursed. Every man must respect him. Every woman must desire him. One look, and all is lost.

Ember would rather carve out a piece of her soul than be enslaved by passions not her own. She turns to the dark arts to save her heart and becomes the one woman in the kingdom able to resist the Prince’s Charm.

Poor girl. If Ember had
Published (first published November 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Ember, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ember

The Undying by Ronnell D. PorterSomething Wicked by C.J. BakerDemon Girl by Penelope FletcherSpiderwork by L.K. RigelBetrayal by Mayandree Michel
Indie Books - Paranormal Cover Love
7th out of 377 books — 780 voters
Angelfall by Susan EeBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireThe Vampire Hunter's Daughter by Jennifer Malone WrightEmber by Madison DanielBirthright by Willow Cross
Best Independent Novels
127th out of 2,422 books — 3,374 voters

More lists with this book...

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Mar 26, 2015 ✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who hates fairytales, fluffy bunnies, rainbows and HEAs
Recommended to ✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) by: Monty Cupcake

Evil Cinderella buddy read with Robin, Jess, Catherine, Cathryn, Navessa, Kerry, Anna, Liz, Chelsea, Veronica, Carmen, Sarah, Tandie, Cathepsut & Lea. March 20, 2015.

Introducing… The Cinderella Gif Extravaganza!

I'm pretty sure this is what comes to mind when you think of dear old Cinderella:

And this:

And maybe this:

Pretty creepy huh? Yeah, I think so too. This is the stuff of nightmares *shudders* (view spoiler)
Robin (Bridge Four)
4.5 Naughty Novella Stars
Evil Cinderella with Sexy times and Naughty Words, how could I say no?

Buddy Read March 21 with oOSarahOo, Catherine, Jess, Navessa, Kerry, Anna, Liz, Veronica Del Rosa, Cathryn, Carmen, Tandie, Sarah, Cathepsut, Lea and Chelsea

Thread at Buddies Books and Baubles

What if Cinderella’s tale was not about a girl like this….
description

But was more about a girl like…
description

I’m tired of nice heroines that have cute creature companions. I’m ready for the witch to be the hero of her own tale.
Some
Tadiana ♕Part-Time Dictator♕
This novella takes the Cinderella fairy tale, turns it inside-out, throws it down and smacks it around, checks its pockets for loose change, and then gives it a sweet kiss good-bye, with one more hard pinch to the rear as it's walking out the door.

description

Ember, our Cinderella character, is red-haired and freckled, has a twisted foot and, at least according to her, is not particularly pretty. She lives in a country where the prince was blessed at birth--or rather cursed--by a fairy godmother witch, with
Alienor ✘ French frowner ✘
Buddy Read March 21 with oOSarahOo, Catherine, Jess, Navessa, Kerry, Liz, Veronica Del Rosa, Chelsea and Robin For now I'm waaaay too lazy to put all the links, sorry guys^^ I KNOW, I'm a week late.

When it comes to fairytales, my girl's always been Belle :

While Cinderella .... Siiiiigh .... Cinderella ... Well, the girl is pretty useless, don't you think? I mean, as I said in my review of Damsel Distress, the real heroes have to be the birds, right?

Okay, maybe the mice.

But the girl? The p
Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies)
Warning: this is erotica. This book is FREE. You may read it here: http://www.bettiesharpe.com/ember/

I don't usually read erotica at all, but the premise of a fairy tale and Prince Charming got me intrigued. My first erotica (bought purely because my innocent 18-year old self just wanted to own a naughty book, if I may be honest) was Anne Rice's Sleeping Beauty trilogy. It was titillating, and after the first 50 or so pages, it got pretty boring, quite frankly. Anyways, what I learned from readi
Tammy Walton Grant
Now this, [image error] this book was cool. Sly, witty, clever, with a bit'o'romance thrown in to keep folks like me happy. And a few dirty, dirty words to keep us on our toes.

This little fairy tale is told in the first person (which, although I usually don't care for, here I didn't mind a bit ). It is Ember's voice that carries the tale. And what a tale it is - a dark, sardonic and twisted version of Cinderella. I loved it! I was hooked from the opening paragraphs:

"I know you think you've hear
Ya~
Mar 26, 2015 Ya~ rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ya~ by: Robin (Bridge Four)
This little novella is no fairytale. It is a twisted version of Cinderella story.

“How do you punish a man when your heart beats in his chest? How do you hurt your beloved without also hurting yourself?”

Ember is a witch. She doesn’t forgive easily, and has a taste for vengeance. Plus, she kinda repays pain with agony.

Is the story romantic? Yes and No.
Is it well-written? Yes!
If you want to read something different and weird, this is an interesting pick;)
# free online in the author’s website #kin
Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈
Buddy read with oOSarahOo, Robin, Catherine, Anna, Liz, Kerry, Cathryn, and Navessa.
And a bunch of seriously awesome ladies from the BBB reading group!

Read a book with magic

Ok, it's high time I review this, now that I have a little extra time. This is a 4.5 star read for me.
Yes, you heard me correctly. 4.5 stars. This little novella was awesome.

I have been going through a little bit of a reading slump lately. I've had some things going on in my personal life that have seriously cut down on my re
♡Karlyn P♡

Loved it! Ember was a wicked, dark, sensual, twisted and enthralling read.

Oh wow! A super entertaining, dark and twisted retelling of Cinderella. The writing was great, and I loved the world building and imagination that went into this story. Very clever.

The heat level is 'hot', and the author does use some crude language a few times normally reserved for erotica. (view spoiler) It worked in the context of keeping the story dark and funny, while also in pus
Sherwood Smith
Mar 30, 2015 Sherwood Smith added it
Shelves: fantasy
One of the (many) reasons I don't do stars is that I am unable to even pretend at objectivity.

Take this twist on Cinderella, gritty and sexy and cleverly written. I was enjoying it thoroughly until she casually mentions murdering a dog because it was howling. No! You do not kill dogs in my reading! Dog killing is bad, and sucks all the joy out of the story for me. I hate murder of the helpless, of the innocent, and dogs are a big symbol of that.

So . . . good tale, even if I saw the twist coming
Susana

4,5 stars

A somewhat dark and wickedly hot retelling of Cinderella...

Are you tired of the same fairy tales retellings?

If the answer is YES, then this book is for YOU...that is, if you're an adult. Are you?
Because if not, go away, and come back later...really!!

So.... this has some pretty intense scenes...with some colorful language, lol, but then one also has some pretty laughable moments ( (view spoiler)
Michelle
Oh wow, talk about a twisted fairy tale, no, not twisted in a sick, wrong way, twisted as in its so far and different to the normal fairy tale we're all used to, and in a damn fine good way as well! The synopsis itself drew me to it and since its a free ebook, might as well. Ember held quite a lot of promise and had a whole storyline to overturn (the tale of Cinderella), so imagine my surprise when I found it delivered, all too well. The plot was unique and different in its own way and I have to ...more
Denisse
3.5 Cinderella retelling.
Twisted, and a bit interesting. But it felt more like a guilty pleasure, for me. Recommended for those who like retellings and aren’t looking for something memorable, just a fun, dark and quick reading.

I liked how they excused the Disney version, that was very fun.

I don’t know what to say. I liked it, I mean, it was a good reading, but I won’t remember it in a few weeks, I know that. Don’t expect quality, just entertainment and some good dark scenes every now and then.
Monty Cupcake
This is a retelling of Cinderella, if Cinderella was a badass witch who managed her stepsisters & stepmother and frightened the neighbors.

She's more of this....

than this...

And she's her own fairy godmother, no need for outside intervention, Ember can do it all. Which is only sad when Helena Bonham Carter is your fairy godmother because I love that batshit crazy woman.

Besides the wonderfully sarcastic and evil Ember, here are some other things in the book...

There is a Prince Charming in the
Angela
This book was incredible. I remember grabbing it because someone did an excellent job of talking it up.

I'm so glad I did.

Ember is a great character. I can't even do her justice. She's strong, knows her mind, works for what she wants, isn't afraid to sacrifice to get what she needs, loves fiercely, and she's got this awesome dark sense of humor.

The book takes on this story being told to us, in a conspiratorial whisper. Ember tells it as it happened, setting the record straight of the classic tal
Veronica Del Rosa
I quite enjoyed this book. Ember, while she wasn't a goodie-goodie, had me cheering for her. Then again, I'm not too fond of the overly sweet tales. I like some grittiness in my stories. I'm also fond of the borderline psychos, so... :)
Overall this story held my attention and had me scrambling to find out the ending.
Rashika (is tired)
An original spin on a age old tale

Ember is easily one of the most unique retellings I've ever had the pleasure to read. It had it's faults but the idea behind it was so refreshingly original.

Out of all the Disney princesses out there, Cinderella is my second least favorite (Snow White will always have first place on that list) because she seemed incredibly docile and her.. prince.. was well boring. For crying out loud his name was Prince Charming. And I am just putting this out there, I didn't
Tandie
Buddy read March 21

Okay, I read it and enjoyed it. The twist was obvious, but was still fun. I think the story would appeal to a much larger audience if the language was toned down a bit. Ember could still be wicked, but maybe refer to body parts & certain acts in a less crass way. YA readers would eat this up! What can I say? I'm a PG-13 to mild rated R prude-e-pants. I enjoyed the author's writing, Ember reminded me a bit of Nyx from Cruel Beauty, just the right mix of venom and kindness.
Casey
3.5... Awww you know what, let's go with 4 stars!

What a clever little naughty fairytale! I enjoyed this quite a bit more than I expected I would. This is a re-telling of Cinderella that kind of makes me wish this is the version I knew all along. Although, I suspect Disney would have had a hard time justifying all the sex in their animated children's classic...

Then again, maybe not... I mean I remember this one time that they...

Eh, never mind, why bring up old stuff...

This version makes Cinderell
Steph
Gist of the book:
This dark take on the Cinderella story starts with a red haired-crooked foot girl named Ember who cuts off her finger in order to give her soul to witchcraft and protect herself from the curse of the Prince. With the help of her passed mother’s charmed vial Ember is able to keep the curse at bay for now, but she can feel the pull...the want...the need. When the Prince seeks her out the curse grows stronger but can Ember resist such an irresistible curse from this charming Prince
Cathy (cathepsut)
Ember

Re-telling of Cinderella, with a dark twist. I think fairytales have been retold before from the view of one of the bad guys. Not that our heroine is a bad guy. Well, she is a rather vengefull witch, so... bad girl after all. But you are totally on her side. Besides, Prince Charming is a twat.

Great characters, I loved Ember's sisters. Also the hints at other fairytales and how they could have been told, were very entertaining. I'd love to read some of those as well.

There is a twist and it i
Cathryn
This was so delightful. This is how you do a retelling of Cinderella. This is not your Disney Cinderella who is all nice and sweet in spite of all the crap she is put through. If you mess with Ember you get burned...literally. I can't say too much more without spoiling it but the best twist of all is the "stepmother"/"stepsisters" and I'll leave it at that.
Mariℓina
This book actually scared me a lot!
It was too raw, too dark, too ugly.
But in a very sick way it made sense..
And althought i would give it 2 stars i had to acknowledge that this story carried something new and original.
Soumi
Oh God, What did I read?. I thought this book would be some vulgar version of Cinderella, but this book was way more twisted. Yes there is some unusual description of sexual act, other than that this book is written is a interesting way.

It's a retelling of Cinderella with some dark twist. Ember, the main protagonist is a red haired witch who has freckles all over her face and neck and a twisted led. She's not perfect at all by her looks but smart and wicked girl (which i like about her). She cu
Anastasia Ovsyannikova
Необычно - это первое, что приходит на ум =)
Jenny
This is going into my favorite bookshelf. i loved this version of Cinderella. it comes to show how tales can be twisted from their reality by rumors and over time, but that's not why i loved it so much. Ember is independent, smart, and the only thing wicked about her is her sense of humor (which i enjoyed). she protects her family and is not a doormat for people to use (i would not want to be on Embers bad side). unlike other stories she and the prince have a personality there's more to them the ...more
Ridley
This is more like a 4.5. It's a novella available for free on the author's website, and everyone should go and grab it. I opened it by accident last night, planning to read something else, and couldn't put it down for the life of me.

Ms. Sharpe spins the Cinderella tale here, and it's delicious. She gives each player surprising and clever depth and creates something dark and satisfying out of a worn out and fluffy fairy tale.
Nemo (the Moonlight Library)
Hands down the best retelling of Cinderella I've ever read.

Ember is an adult retelling of Cinderella that turns the classic tropes on its head, adds saucy smut, deepens absolutely everything and is all-round fucking amazing.

I absolutely loved loved loved this book. I can’t believe Bettie gives it away for free! My friend ThreeRs recommended it to me when we were talking about awesome self-published novels. I read the first chapter for free on Bettie’s website, fell head-over-heels in love, and p
Jeanne
Ember is a fantastic re-imagining of the Cinderella story. It is one of the best books I've read this year, and amazingly enough I read it for Free (online). Though, I would have gladly paid for an enthralling, imaginative and beautifully written story like Ember.

I love Ember's sassy voice, and the narrative style that Bettie Sharpe chose for this unconventional retelling of a classica fairy tale that we all (think we) know. Ember feels like a very relatable modern heroine without feeling out of
Kari
i really liked this book! ember is retelling of the classic fairytale cinderella. we all know how stories get passed on from person to person and become distorted the more it is told. so i like how the author took the main points of the classic and gave us the "real" version.

the curse on the prince was my favorite twist. i loved that there was a reason that every woman in the kingdom wanted to marry the prince. and then learning that the curse/blessing on the prince also served a greater purpos
  • Something Wicked
  • The Sevenfold Spell (Accidental Enchantments, #1)
  • Draconus
  • Wishing Stars: Space Opera Fairytales
  • Witch Hunt
  • The Undying
  • The Princess & the Penis
  • A Happily Ever After of Her Own (Ever After 1)
  • Unlocked (Turner, #1.5)
  • Cinders
  • Dragon Rose (Tales of the Latter Kingdoms, #2)
  • Cinderella Unmasked (Fairytale Fantasies #1)
  • Beautiful Beast (Enchanted Fairytales, #1)
  • Flame (Fireborn, #1)
  • Amy "Red" Riding's Hood
  • What She Needs
  • The Mysterious Madam Morpho (Blud, #1.5)
  • The Princess in His Bed  (Fiery Tales, #2)
Bettie Sharpe is a Los Angeles native with a fondness for hot weather, classic cars, and air so thick it sticks in your teeth. When she's not busy attempting to metabolize smog into oxygen, she enjoys romance novels, action movies, comic books, video games, and every other entertainment product her teachers said would rot her brain. She loves to write almost as much as she loves to read. As a chil ...more
More about Bettie Sharpe...
Cat's Tale: A Fairy Tale Retold Like a Thief in the Night Marked Terra Obscura Girl Saves Boy

“Some would say it is madness to want a woman this way,
but I think it must be love. Not the tepid, fickle love of which the
poets sing—the love that forms or fades with kindness or cruelty.
No, this love is something more divine—like the love of a god, both
vengeful and benign. It is as constant as the sea. And as beautiful.

As dangerous. As mysterious.

She is the only woman to ever refuse me. And yet, I want…”
20 likes
“Sometimes, we need little lies to save our pride. And sometimes we need big lies to save our souls.” 19 likes