Start by marking “Snowy Valentine” as Want to Read:
Snowy Valentine

Snowy Valentine

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  217 ratings  ·  41 reviews

Step out into a snowy Valentine's Day with Jasper the bunny as he searches the forest valley for a special gift for his loved one.

In his picture-book debut, David Petersen, the Eisner Award-winning creator of Mouse Guard, tells a delightful tale that becomes the perfect way to say "I love you."

Bring this sweet story home to your Valentine today.

Published December 6th 2011 by Harper (first published July 30th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Snowy Valentine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snowy Valentine

Krystal
I want... I want all the things by this guy. This guy, and Megans.
Kathryn
Super cute woodland critters abound as a bunny goes searching for the perfect valentine for his wife. This would have been four stars except I did not like one of the scenes (view spoiler) and I also could have done without the didactic message tacked on to the end, the adorable gift the bunny ultimately gives his wife conveyed the point perfectly.
babyhippoface
Jasper has no idea what to give Lilly for Valentines Day. He visits his friends' home to see what they're giving to their loved ones, but none of their ideas are right for Lilly. But somehow, he manages to find something that's just perfect.

I'm always looking for new Valentines Day books to read to the kids at school. Good ones are kind of hard to come by. I liked this one quite a bit. The ending surprised me and it wasn't too silly or sappy. Plus, this is the cutest bunny in all of children's l
Heidi
It's cute. A bit cheesy at the end--but the younger kids probably won't get that. And I don't mind some good cheese now and then! :-) The fox part was a little creepy (and sad!). But I liked the end. What I loved most were the pictures. Beautiful with some great details to admire.
Lorena Martínez
Super corto, pero lindo. Es una historia romantica sobre un conejo que no sabia que regalarle a su esposa el dia de san valentin. Afortunadamente todo sale bien y se gana un besito. <3

Quisiera que David Petersen me ilustrara alguna historia. Algún dia tendre para pagarle :P
Romelle
Finding a Valentine's gift is no easy task as Jasper can tell you. In this picture book by author-illustrator, David Petersen, it can be quite dangerous. I didn't feel it was necessary to add the encounter with Jasper and the fox, but it did help to break up the corniness. What Jasper discovers in the end will leave you saying, "awww....how sweet!" Some people think the narrative quote in the end is a bit didactic. That was my first reaction, but I actually love it. It made the story extra speci ...more
Paul Mirek
Petersen has imbued the world of 'Mouse Guard' with plenty of pathos and drama, and despite the early childhood target audience, this charming picture book amply shows off his craft. I'd imagine the lush illustrations would make for a wonderful artifact to revisit at bedtime, and Jasper the bunny's quest to find the perfect valentine for his wife meanders pleasantly until its tidy resolution. Children also will get a nice introduction to moral ambiguity in the form of Teagan the fox, who (spoile ...more
Rosa Cline
This was a sweet Valentines story, a rabbit set out in search of the perfect gift for his wife. He walked through the snow to neighbors to see what all they were exchanging as gifts and although all those gifts were perfect for them nothing seemed 'just right' for his wife. But as she steped out the door to look for him she looked down in the valley and saw that he had walked in a heart shape in the snow 'just for her'... and the perfect gift wasn't material but what he was for her.
Erin
Jasper has no idea what to get his wife, Lilly, for Valentine's Day. He goes on a journey to see what his neighbors are doing for their loved ones to get ideas. At the end of the day, he hasn't found anything--but his path created a huge heart in the snow! Lilly loved it.

Good for preschool storytimes.
RC
One of the sweetest Valentine books around, Snowy Valentine reminds the reader that what really matters on Valentine's Day is the love that we share, not the gifts we exchange. With lovely illustrations and simple prose, the book serves as a wonderful message for readers of all ages.
Nan
Great illustrations - really loved them! Lots of details in them, and cute animals. Jasper the Bunny doesn't know what to get his wife for Valentines, so he checks on what all his friends are doing. Cute message of not needing to buy anything at end. Twist with a fox too!
Beverly
From the Creator of the Mouse Guard graphic novels; I loved the illustrations; especially the cozy-comfy looking homes. The animal illustrations also looked great. Several of the reviews commented that they did not like the scene with the fox, but that's what foxes do.
Heather
The frightening fox who tries to eat the protagonist (a rabbit searching for the perfect gift for his bunny valentine) ruins an otherwise okay story. My four-year-old didn't care for it, and I thought it was bizarre. Hands down the worst children's Valentine's book we've read.
Christine Heron
Such a sweet, gentle story that can be shared any time not just for Valentine's Day. The illustrations are reminiscent of Beatrix Potter with vibrant colors. The last line says it all, "Jasper's journey showed the greatest gift he could give: his love for her".
Christine Turner
Subject:
Valentine's Day -- Juvenile fiction
Rabbits -- Juvenile fiction
Forest animals -- Juvenile fiction

NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART. (Rabbit almost becomes soup).

Paula
Cute valentine book about a bunny who is trying to find the perfect gift for his wife. He asks all his neighbors and they have wonderful suggestions but nothing is what jasper the bunny is looking for.
Anne
This was a sweet story, with one possibly scary element for younger readers. The illustrations were gorgeous and detailed.
Rick
This is a delightful book. I first met David Petersen when Mouse Guard was just starting out. I had the wonderful opportunity to interview him for a website that I was working with at the time and I have been a fan of his work ever since. Snowy Valentine is nothing like Mouse Guard, except that it embodies the same care and attention to detail, the same since of wonder and joy in the world and in life, and the same charm that Mouse Guard personifies. I hope this is only the first of a long serie ...more
Jessica
A Valentine gift from my hubby. SO freaking adorable!
Molly
Beautifully illustrated story that shows kids what Valentine's Day is really all about. Love. Added bonus: this book is actually wonderful for boys. Rare when it comes to Valentine's Day books.
carissa
"Jasper Bunny spends a snowy Valentine's Day visiting his forest friends in hopes of finding the perfect gift for his beloved Lilly."

Very sweet story and I absolutely loved the artwork. The pictures with Jasper outside with the sun slowly rising were beautiful, and I sometimes forgot I was looking at a children's picture book.
Whitney
Beautiful book from the creator of Mouse Guard. Richly illustrated with a touching story - my only complaint is that the last page of text is unnecessary and ended the book on an overly saccharine note.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I am not a big fan of most holiday picture books. Too often they are overly sweet. However, I love David Petersen's illustrations and this book is no different. And the story is sweet but I enjoyed it and the twist at the end.
Katie Fitzgerald
David Petersen's talents are well-suited to the picture book genre. I hope to see more from him!

Read my full review on my story time blog: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
Janet
A debut picture book for the author.

Jasper, the rabbit husband of Lilly, doesn't know what to givenheer for Valentine's day. after a stroll in his snowy woods neighborhood, he has made the perfect gift for Lilly. Charming.
Robin
Oh my gosh! This is such a sweet story...I'm going to suggest that my son buy it for his wife because her name is Julia, just like the wife of the mouse who is trying to find the perfect gift for Valentine's day!
Robin Brennan
Couldn't resist the bunnies in the snow on the cover, the old fashion illustrations and the story is wonderful. Maddie enjoyed it and with all these Valentine's books she'll be Valentined out by Feb. 14th.
Molly
This is a sweet story. The illustrations are beautiful and I love the intricate details of all the animals' houses.
I loved this book! I want to buy a copy to own. Such a good message, and the illustrations are incredible.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Ballad of Valentine (Picture Puffins)
  • The Yuckiest, Stinkiest, Best Valentine Ever
  • Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch
  • Love, Splat
  • Zombie in Love
  • Farmyard Beat
Note: There are more than one David Petersen on GR's database. For catch-all profile, see here (dissambiguated via 10 spaces).

David Petersen was born in 1977. His artistic career soon followed. A steady diet of cartoons, comics, and tree climbing fed his imagination and is what still inspires his work today. David won the 2007 Russ Manning Award for Most Promising Newcomer. In 2008, David won the
More about David Petersen...
Mouse Guard: Fall 1152 (Mouse Guard, #1) Mouse Guard: Winter 1152 (Mouse Guard, #2) Mouse Guard: Legends of the Guard, Vol. 1 (Mouse Guard) Mouse Guard: The Black Axe (Mouse Guard, #0.5) Mouse Guard: Legends of the Guard, Vol. 2