Snowy Valentine

Snowy Valentine

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  159 ratings  ·  29 reviews

Step out into a snowy Valentine's Day with Jasper the bunny as he searches the forest valley for a special gift for his loved one.

In his picture-book debut, David Petersen, the Eisner Award-winning creator of Mouse Guard, tells a delightful tale that becomes the perfect way to say "I love you."

Bring this sweet story home to your Valentine today.

Published December 6th 2011 by Harper (first published July 30th 2011)

Kathryn
Super cute woodland critters abound as a bunny goes searching for the perfect valentine for his wife. This would have been four stars except I did not like one of the scenes (view spoiler) and I also could have done without the didactic message tacked on to the end, the adorable gift the bunny ultimately gives his wife conveyed the point perfectly.
babyhippoface
Jasper has no idea what to give Lilly for Valentines Day. He visits his friends' home to see what they're giving to their loved ones, but none of their ideas are right for Lilly. But somehow, he manages to find something that's just perfect.

I'm always looking for new Valentines Day books to read to the kids at school. Good ones are kind of hard to come by. I liked this one quite a bit. The ending surprised me and it wasn't too silly or sappy. Plus, this is the cutest bunny in all of children's l...more
Heidi
It's cute. A bit cheesy at the end--but the younger kids probably won't get that. And I don't mind some good cheese now and then! :-) The fox part was a little creepy (and sad!). But I liked the end. What I loved most were the pictures. Beautiful with some great details to admire.
Lorena Martínez
Super corto, pero lindo. Es una historia romantica sobre un conejo que no sabia que regalarle a su esposa el dia de san valentin. Afortunadamente todo sale bien y se gana un besito. <3

Quisiera que David Petersen me ilustrara alguna historia. Algún dia tendre para pagarle :P
Paul Mirek
Petersen has imbued the world of 'Mouse Guard' with plenty of pathos and drama, and despite the early childhood target audience, this charming picture book amply shows off his craft. I'd imagine the lush illustrations would make for a wonderful artifact to revisit at bedtime, and Jasper the bunny's quest to find the perfect valentine for his wife meanders pleasantly until its tidy resolution. Children also will get a nice introduction to moral ambiguity in the form of Teagan the fox, who (spoile...more
Shelley
Heather
The frightening fox who tries to eat the protagonist (a rabbit searching for the perfect gift for his bunny valentine) ruins an otherwise okay story. My four-year-old didn't care for it, and I thought it was bizarre. Hands down the worst children's Valentine's book we've read.
Paula
Cute valentine book about a bunny who is trying to find the perfect gift for his wife. He asks all his neighbors and they have wonderful suggestions but nothing is what jasper the bunny is looking for.
Rick
This is a delightful book. I first met David Petersen when Mouse Guard was just starting out. I had the wonderful opportunity to interview him for a website that I was working with at the time and I have been a fan of his work ever since. Snowy Valentine is nothing like Mouse Guard, except that it embodies the same care and attention to detail, the same since of wonder and joy in the world and in life, and the same charm that Mouse Guard personifies. I hope this is only the first of a long serie...more
Molly
Beautifully illustrated story that shows kids what Valentine's Day is really all about. Love. Added bonus: this book is actually wonderful for boys. Rare when it comes to Valentine's Day books.
carissa
"Jasper Bunny spends a snowy Valentine's Day visiting his forest friends in hopes of finding the perfect gift for his beloved Lilly."

Very sweet story and I absolutely loved the artwork. The pictures with Jasper outside with the sun slowly rising were beautiful, and I sometimes forgot I was looking at a children's picture book.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I am not a big fan of most holiday picture books. Too often they are overly sweet. However, I love David Petersen's illustrations and this book is no different. And the story is sweet but I enjoyed it and the twist at the end.
Katie Fitzgerald
David Petersen's talents are well-suited to the picture book genre. I hope to see more from him!

Read my full review on my story time blog: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
Janet
A debut picture book for the author.

Jasper, the rabbit husband of Lilly, doesn't know what to givenheer for Valentine's day. after a stroll in his snowy woods neighborhood, he has made the perfect gift for Lilly. Charming.
Robin
Oh my gosh! This is such a sweet story...I'm going to suggest that my son buy it for his wife because her name is Julia, just like the wife of the mouse who is trying to find the perfect gift for Valentine's day!
Robin Brennan
Couldn't resist the bunnies in the snow on the cover, the old fashion illustrations and the story is wonderful. Maddie enjoyed it and with all these Valentine's books she'll be Valentined out by Feb. 14th.
Molly
This is a sweet story. The illustrations are beautiful and I love the intricate details of all the animals' houses.
I loved this book! I want to buy a copy to own. Such a good message, and the illustrations are incredible.
Mel
I found the encounter with the fox a bit creepy for a children's book, but the basic story was nice.
Christina
A sweet book, lovely illustrations and a simple message - that love is better than a gift.
Dru
David Peterson takes a turn with rabbits in this fantastic picture book about valentine's day.
Elisabeth
How can a picture book be so romantic but still perfect for little guys? **swoon**
Rachel
Sweet sentiment, but not really a child's point of view so more of an adult book.
Jonathan
Perfectly sweet.
Jess
A delightful Valentine's book for young children.
Jaime
I loved this book as much as my daughter did! :)
Edward Sullivan
Charming story, lovely illustrations.
Amy
Feb 19, 2013 Amy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: kid-lit
Cute - loved it!
  • If You'll Be My Valentine
  • The Valentine Bears
  • No Two Alike
  • Happy Valentine's Day, Mouse!
  • The Ballad of Valentine (Picture Puffins)
  • Here Comes Jack Frost
  • I Loathe You
  • Clifford's First Valentine's Day
  • Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch
  • Roses Are Pink, Your Feet Really Stink
  • I Don't Want to Be a Pea! (Hugo and Bella)
  • Mouse's First Snow
  • The 13 Nights of Halloween
Note: There are more than one David Petersen on GR's database. For catch-all profile, see here (dissambiguated via 10 spaces).

David Petersen was born in 1977. His artistic career soon followed. A steady diet of cartoons, comics, and tree climbing fed his imagination and is what still inspires his work today. David won the 2007 Russ Manning Award for Most Promising Newcomer. In 2008, David won the...more
More about David Petersen...
Mouse Guard: Fall 1152 (Mouse Guard, #1) Mouse Guard: Winter 1152 (Mouse Guard, #2) Mouse Guard: Legends of the Guard, Vol. 1 (Mouse Guard) Mouse Guard: The Black Axe (Mouse Guard, #0.5) Mouse Guard: Legends of the Guard, Vol. 2