Start by marking “Snowy Valentine” as Want to Read:
Snowy Valentine

Snowy Valentine

Step out into a snowy Valentine's Day with Jasper the bunny as he searches the forest valley for a special gift for his loved one.

In his picture-book debut, David Petersen, the Eisner Award-winning creator of Mouse Guard, tells a delightful tale that becomes the perfect way to say "I love you."

Bring this sweet story home to your Valentine today.

Published December 6th 2011 by Harper (first published July 30th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Snowy Valentine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snowy Valentine

Jessica
Jan 27, 2016 Jessica rated it really liked it
Sweet story and beautiful pictures. The fact that it's about a married bunny looking for a gift for his wife for Valentine's Day reminded me of Beatrix Potter or the picture books of my youth, when not every person and creature in a picture book was required to be 5 years old.
Kathryn
Super cute woodland critters abound as a bunny goes searching for the perfect valentine for his wife. This would have been four stars except I did not like one of the scenes (view spoiler) and I also could have done without the didactic message tacked on to the end, the adorable gift the bunny ultimately gives his wife conveyed the point perfectly.
Krystal
Jan 20, 2015 Krystal rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
I want... I want all the things by this guy. This guy, and Megans.
babyhippoface
Jan 06, 2012 babyhippoface rated it really liked it
Jasper has no idea what to give Lilly for Valentines Day. He visits his friends' home to see what they're giving to their loved ones, but none of their ideas are right for Lilly. But somehow, he manages to find something that's just perfect.

I'm always looking for new Valentines Day books to read to the kids at school. Good ones are kind of hard to come by. I liked this one quite a bit. The ending surprised me and it wasn't too silly or sappy. Plus, this is the cutest bunny in all of children's l
Lorena Martínez
May 08, 2013 Lorena Martínez rated it really liked it
Super corto, pero lindo. Es una historia romantica sobre un conejo que no sabia que regalarle a su esposa el dia de san valentin. Afortunadamente todo sale bien y se gana un besito. <3

Quisiera que David Petersen me ilustrara alguna historia. Algún dia tendre para pagarle :P
Heidi-Marie
It's cute. A bit cheesy at the end--but the younger kids probably won't get that. And I don't mind some good cheese now and then! :-) The fox part was a little creepy (and sad!). But I liked the end. What I loved most were the pictures. Beautiful with some great details to admire.
Autumn
Oct 03, 2016 Autumn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-books
This story was very sweet, indeed. :)
Marilyn
Feb 12, 2016 Marilyn rated it it was amazing
Jasper bunny loves his wife Lilly very, very much. Valentine's Day is approaching and he has nothing worthy to give to her to show his great love. He bundles up one winter's morning and ploughs his way to his neighbours' homes for a visit. He hopes perhaps they can inspire him and help him find that perfect gift.

First stop is Porcupine's snug dwelling. The whole family is busily knitting beautiful scarves for mama. Although the scarves are lovely poor Jasper doesn't even know how to knit so tha
Katie Fitzgerald
The creator of the Mouse Guard graphic novels has written a sweet Valentine's Day story about a rabbit named Jasper Bunny who can't decide what to give his wife, Lilly for Valentine's Day. All the other animals in the woodland neighborhood where he lives have their gifts picked out. Miriam the frog will give her husband chocolate-covered flies, for example. Teagan the fox even tries to cook Jasper to give his wife the gift of rabbit stew! Ultimately, though, after walking the perimeter of the ...more
Rick
Nov 30, 2011 Rick rated it really liked it
This is a delightful book. I first met David Petersen when Mouse Guard was just starting out. I had the wonderful opportunity to interview him for a website that I was working with at the time and I have been a fan of his work ever since. Snowy Valentine is nothing like Mouse Guard, except that it embodies the same care and attention to detail, the same since of wonder and joy in the world and in life, and the same charm that Mouse Guard personifies. I hope this is only the first of a long ...more
Linda
I know, it’s past Valentine’s Day, but this has become a beloved book at my house, read many times. Jaspar Bunny is out in the snow visiting neighbors, looking for the perfect Valentine for his wife, Lilly. On his way, he decides that knitting scarves (like the porcupine children) will not work for him, and chocolate-covered flies (like Miriam Frog has for her husband) are just not the right thing. Jaspar has quite an adventure exploring Teagan Fox’s ideas, too, but in the end, the gift is ...more
Romelle
Jan 26, 2015 Romelle rated it really liked it
Finding a Valentine's gift is no easy task as Jasper can tell you. In this picture book by author-illustrator, David Petersen, it can be quite dangerous. I didn't feel it was necessary to add the encounter with Jasper and the fox, but it did help to break up the corniness. What Jasper discovers in the end will leave you saying, "awww....how sweet!" Some people think the narrative quote in the end is a bit didactic. That was my first reaction, but I actually love it. It made the story extra speci ...more
Paul Mirek
Apr 15, 2014 Paul Mirek rated it really liked it
Petersen has imbued the world of 'Mouse Guard' with plenty of pathos and drama, and despite the early childhood target audience, this charming picture book amply shows off his craft. I'd imagine the lush illustrations would make for a wonderful artifact to revisit at bedtime, and Jasper the bunny's quest to find the perfect valentine for his wife meanders pleasantly until its tidy resolution. Children also will get a nice introduction to moral ambiguity in the form of Teagan the fox, who ...more
Sherry Philippus
Mar 29, 2016 Sherry Philippus rated it really liked it
What a sweet book in the true spirit of Valentine's Day. Jasper Bunny goes in search of the perfect gift for his wife Lilly, but despite visiting numerous other forest friends, can't find just the right thing. Dejected, he returns home empty-handed, to turn and discover that his footprints have traced out a huge heart in the snow below the burrow - proving that his journey for a gift showed his love more than any item could. This is David Petersen's first picture book, and while the writing has ...more
Rosa Cline
Feb 16, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, valentines, winter
This was a sweet Valentines story, a rabbit set out in search of the perfect gift for his wife. He walked through the snow to neighbors to see what all they were exchanging as gifts and although all those gifts were perfect for them nothing seemed 'just right' for his wife. But as she steped out the door to look for him she looked down in the valley and saw that he had walked in a heart shape in the snow 'just for her'... and the perfect gift wasn't material but what he was for her.
carissa
"Jasper Bunny spends a snowy Valentine's Day visiting his forest friends in hopes of finding the perfect gift for his beloved Lilly."

Very sweet story and I absolutely loved the artwork. The pictures with Jasper outside with the sun slowly rising were beautiful, and I sometimes forgot I was looking at a children's picture book.
Dolly
Feb 11, 2016 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Sweet story about what is important in our relationships. Finding the perfect present is nice, but often the perfect present is your love, time, affection, and attention.

The story is short and the colorful illustrations are terrific. They really complement the narrative. Our oldest didn't read it, but our youngest and I enjoyed reading it.
Erin
Feb 09, 2015 Erin rated it really liked it
Jasper has no idea what to get his wife, Lilly, for Valentine's Day. He goes on a journey to see what his neighbors are doing for their loved ones to get ideas. At the end of the day, he hasn't found anything--but his path created a huge heart in the snow! Lilly loved it.

Good for preschool storytimes.
Heather
Feb 22, 2014 Heather rated it did not like it
The frightening fox who tries to eat the protagonist (a rabbit searching for the perfect gift for his bunny valentine) ruins an otherwise okay story. My four-year-old didn't care for it, and I thought it was bizarre. Hands down the worst children's Valentine's book we've read.
Janet
Feb 12, 2012 Janet rated it really liked it
A debut picture book for the author.

Jasper, the rabbit husband of Lilly, doesn't know what to givenheer for Valentine's day. after a stroll in his snowy woods neighborhood, he has made the perfect gift for Lilly. Charming.
Whitney
Apr 20, 2015 Whitney rated it really liked it
Beautiful book from the creator of Mouse Guard. Richly illustrated with a touching story - my only complaint is that the last page of text is unnecessary and ended the book on an overly saccharine note.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Sep 17, 2011 Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book, holiday
I am not a big fan of most holiday picture books. Too often they are overly sweet. However, I love David Petersen's illustrations and this book is no different. And the story is sweet but I enjoyed it and the twist at the end.
Whole And
Super sweet story of what it valentines can really mean, how a heartfelt intention and real effort can be worth more than then material gifts.

A significant story to look at how to make commercialized events meaningful.
RC
Feb 13, 2015 RC rated it it was amazing
One of the sweetest Valentine books around, Snowy Valentine reminds the reader that what really matters on Valentine's Day is the love that we share, not the gifts we exchange. With lovely illustrations and simple prose, the book serves as a wonderful message for readers of all ages.
Robin
Apr 11, 2012 Robin rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Oh my gosh! This is such a sweet story...I'm going to suggest that my son buy it for his wife because her name is Julia, just like the wife of the mouse who is trying to find the perfect gift for Valentine's day!
Beverly
Feb 11, 2015 Beverly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
From the Creator of the Mouse Guard graphic novels; I loved the illustrations; especially the cozy-comfy looking homes. The animal illustrations also looked great. Several of the reviews commented that they did not like the scene with the fox, but that's what foxes do.
Robin Brennan
Jan 21, 2013 Robin Brennan rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Couldn't resist the bunnies in the snow on the cover, the old fashion illustrations and the story is wonderful. Maddie enjoyed it and with all these Valentine's books she'll be Valentined out by Feb. 14th.
Christine Heron
Jul 11, 2015 Christine Heron rated it it was amazing
Such a sweet, gentle story that can be shared any time not just for Valentine's Day. The illustrations are reminiscent of Beatrix Potter with vibrant colors. The last line says it all, "Jasper's journey showed the greatest gift he could give: his love for her".
Nan
Feb 16, 2015 Nan rated it really liked it
Great illustrations - really loved them! Lots of details in them, and cute animals. Jasper the Bunny doesn't know what to get his wife for Valentines, so he checks on what all his friends are doing. Cute message of not needing to buy anything at end. Twist with a fox too!
Lenna
Jan 26, 2016 Lenna rated it liked it
I think that overall, this would be a great read-aloud for Valentines Day, but there is one part of the book that was kind of horrifying for such a sweet little book. I really don't know why it was included, because it added no value to the story.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Yuckiest, Stinkiest, Best Valentine Ever
  • The Ballad of Valentine (Picture Puffins)
  • If You'll Be My Valentine
  • Brownie Groundhog and the February Fox
  • The Valentine Bears
  • The Biggest Kiss
  • Happy Valentine's Day, Mouse!
  • The Runaway Wok: A Chinese New Year Tale
  • Here Comes Jack Frost
  • Love, Ruby Valentine
  • No Two Alike
  • The Biggest Valentine Ever
  • Don't Squish the Sasquatch!
  • The Day It Rained Hearts
Note: There are more than one David Petersen on GR's database. For catch-all profile, see here (dissambiguated via 10 spaces).

David Petersen was born in 1977. His artistic career soon followed. A steady diet of cartoons, comics, and tree climbing fed his imagination and is what still inspires his work today. David won the 2007 Russ Manning Award for Most Promising Newcomer. In 2008, David won the
More about David Petersen...