Start by marking “Sup with the Devil (An Abigail Adams Mystery, #3)” as Want to Read:
Sup with the Devil (An Abigail Adams Mystery, #3)

Sup with the Devil (An Abigail Adams Mystery #3)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  147 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Divided loyalties can lead to deadly obsessions...The new mystery starring American icon Abigail Adams!

After an attempt on the life of her young nephew Horace, Abigail Adams, wife of attorney John Adams, travels to Harvard to investigate. A mysterious woman hired Horace to translate some Arabic, then left him at the mercy of her henchmen. He survived-with a tale of pirate
Published October 4th 2011 by Berkley Trade

To ask other readers questions about Sup with the Devil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sup with the Devil

Debbie
"Sup with the Devil" is a historical mystery set in (and around) Boston in the spring of 1774. This book is the third in a series. You don't need to read the previous novels to understand this one, and this novel didn't spoil the previous mysteries.

My enjoyment of the previous two Abigail Adam's mysteries was mainly due to the nicely portrayed political tension--and yet personal respect--between Abigail and Lt. Coldstone as they worked to solve the mystery. But there is no Lt. Coldstone in this
Tamora Pierce
This is the third book with Abigail Adams as a detective hero. The Boston Tea Party concluded the last book; now all of the colonies breathlessly await the king's response. In the meantime Abigail has gone to visit her hypochondriac nephew at Harvard on the receipt of a letter hinting at danger to himself. While she's there she meets a number of interesting students and teachers, including an older Southern loyalist and slave owner, George Fairfield, who has taken her nephew under his wing. Whil ...more
Text Addict
In Hamilton's third Abigail Adams mystery, the heroine continues to stretch the bonds of "appropriate" 18th-century female behavior. The story revolves around the murder of a Harvard student (with whom a cousin of hers has a close relationship) - and figuring out why he was murdered was only the first step. Abigail becomes involved primarily because the dead youth's African servant (that is, slave) is immediately accused of the murder, and she doesn't believe it.

But she spends more time than us
Erin (PT)
I have to caveat my 3 star rating with the fact that I have fairly high expectations from Hambly/Hamilton and so what would probably be a 4 star book from almost any other author is rated just a little lower because of those expectations.

That's not to say Sup With The Devil wasn't an enjoyable read. It absolutely is. And, though I harbored suspicions about the central's mystery's culprits and motivations, I was still kept guessing through the end and not all my suspicions were borne out, which
Christine
A few weeks have passed since the Boston Tea Party, and Abigail Adams and the rest of the residents of Boston are nervously waiting to see how the King will react. Abigail determines it is still safe for her to visit her nephew Horace, a student at Harvard University, but finds the young man ill. Abigail is concerned when it becomes apparent Horace is a victim of poisoning, and then a greater tragedy occurs; Horace’s friend, George Fairfield, is murdered.

George’s servant Diomede is the convenie
Madonna
Love this series and this one didn't disappoint.
Hamilton does a great job of creating a mystery which allows Abigail's "real" character to shine through. The Adams' relationship seems true to real, also. I like Abigail Adams, so I enjoy reading about her.
This mystery involved her going to Harvard to visit a nephew, and while we may be awed by Harvard, in this time, it wasn't all that. Fun to see the difference. Good mystery and nicely set up and solved.
I didn't enjoy the section where their youn
Sylvia Kelso
The third and so far the last of the Abigail Adams books lived up to its successors. Great setting, strong story line, sympathetic or otherwise characters, (largely) unexpected and complex, sympathy-eliciting villain, Abigail and the ongoing cast well depicted once again. The final premise of the old pirate's "treasure" did seem a LITTLE anachronistic, though ample historical evidence was supplied to indicate the concept was already around even in the 18th Century.
The only irritating element wa
Kyle
So, it's a historical mystery set in 1774 Boston (well, mostly in Cambridge, actually), with future First Lady Abigail Adams as the detective. It's the third book in the series, but I have not read the previous two. The mystery was, to be honest, a little on the goofy side. Pirate treasure, secret marriages, etc. And I think it is kind of difficult to set a mystery this far back, because I'm just not convinced ordinary people thought about evidence the way we do today (the book does make some no ...more
Cissa
I do love this series. Not only is Abigail Adams ("Consider the ladies...") the main character, but it sheds a light on pre-Revolutionary Boston, and the various sets of interests and beliefs that led to the Revolutionary War.

Not that Abigail- and her husband John- are not the dedicated patriots that his cousin Sam Adams is.

In these books Abigail probably does act with more autonomy and support than would likely have been allowed, no matter how supportive her husband... but it works anyway.

I esp
Julie
Feb 11, 2014 Julie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
I enjoyed this story. The time period is one I am not overly familiar with. To have founding fathers sprinkled throughout with fatherly concerns is a reminder history was made by people just like us.
The mystery itself was well thought out. It took most of the book to figure out who done it. I can only hope Mrs. Adams was as plucky as this series suggests. I will certainly pick up more of this series.
Melissa
Abigail Adams solves a mystery of buried treasure and cover-ups at Harvard in 18th century Boston. The writer describes Boston well as it would have looked in the 1770s. But I felt there were too many characters to follow and a bit choppy in the story telling with Abigail all over the place in any given day. The colloquial dialect was also hard to comprehend at times.
Calista
Ms Hamilton kept me guessing right up to the end. Her portrayals of such well know figures of history as John and Sam Adams, Governor Hutchinson and Paul Revere are fully fleshed and realistic to the times. What I appreciate most is how accurately she writes of the times and the lives of our ancestors. Life is hard and unyielding but people still love and laugh and think. I particularly like Abigail and her determination to be true to herself and her husband and his acceptance of that.
Karen
This series has grown on me with the reading of each successive book. This one was the best of the three, in my opinion, and I hope the author is planning on a fourth.
Elizabeth Hunter
Perhaps because of the more reserved New England temperament, I find this series less engaging than the Benjamin January books (written under Hambly), but her meticulous research and attention to the personal aspects of history are always interesting. Abigail Adams is a marvelous character and watching her manage the men around her while struggling with the limitations placed upon her is thought-provoking and satisfying. The treasure-hunt aspect of this story got somewhat tedious at times and ke ...more
Lauren
I enjoyed this one even more than the last two. Barbara Hambly/Hamilton don't write no run-of-the-mill famous-historical-person-solves-crimes crap.
Julie
This book, #3 in the series, was published in 2011. Now August 2014 and I would like to read #4. Will that happen?
Dawn Gutsch
I really enjoyed this book until the end. I felt that the last few pages were just filler and didn't really add anything to the story.
Georgia Lengyel
I think I enjoyed the previous two book more than this one. I always enjoy the historical part of the book though. In the first two books, Abigail didn't do so much running around so far out of town. This really didn't seem too realistic for the times.
Cindy Lynn
Barbara Hamilton does a marvelous job re-creating the world that Abigail Adams would have lived in, while plotting a very clever mystery. I loved the small details of Colonial life, the background fear while the citizens of Boston await what the King will do about the Boston Tea Party...it all adds to the story and makes it more immediate.
Diane S.
One of my favorites of the newer series, this third one finds Abigail Adams trying to solve the murder of a student at Harvard College. Love Hamilton's descriptions of daily life in Colonial America, domestic and political, the characters prominent at that time such as The Sons of Liberty and Paul Revere.Very well done historical mysteries.
Skye Bryant
I throughly enjoy visiting this time period and I find that Hamilton always gives me information that I did not know. Setting the story in Cambridge gave the reader into a glimpse of what college life was like at that time. Having a son in college myself, I found it fascinating to compare and contrast the past and the present.
Cheryl
I love this series with Abigail Adams as the sleuth. This was a complicated mystery with engaging characters, lots of detail (pirates, treasure, arabic books, Harvard, murder, jailbreak, kidnapping, rebellion!), and an unlikely hero saving the day at the end.
Beth
Love this series and this is another great entry. If you enjoy well written historical mysteries then try these by Barbara Hamilton.
Lisa
While I enjoyed this book, I didn't like it as much as the previous two in the series. It didn't seem to have the same flow as the others.
Klanderson
Interesting historical fiction--Boston pre-revolutionary war. With an interesting ending to the story...
Maryellen
Very satisfying series. Love Abigail as a sleuth. Interesting how the author weaves in the coming revolution.
Kennedy J
Amazing book. I loved all the references to the events of the Revolutionary War.
Beth
Can't wait for next one.
Pat Sandlin
Pat Sandlin marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
  • Louisa and the Missing Heiress (A Louisa May Alcott Mystery, #1)
  • Graveyard Dust (Benjamin January, #3)
  • Person or Persons Unknown (Sir John Fielding, #4)
  • A Wicked Way to Burn (Bracebridge Mystery, #1)
  • Mrs. Jeffries and the Merry Gentlemen
  • The Sleeping Partner (Sarah Tolerance, #3)
  • Whom the Gods Love (Julian Kestrel Mysteries, #3)
  • Enemies at Home (Flavia Albia Mystery, #2)
  • A Bicycle Built For Murder (Manor House Mysteries, #1)
  • Ghost Wanted (Bailey Ruth #5)
  • Murder on Fifth Avenue (Gaslight Mystery, #14)
  • Jane and the Man of the Cloth (Jane Austen Mysteries, #2)

Pseudonym of Barbara Hambly.

More about Barbara Hamilton...

An Abigail Adams Mystery (3 books)
  • The Ninth Daughter (An Abigail Adams Mystery, #1)
  • A Marked Man (An Abigail Adams Mystery, #2)
The Ninth Daughter (An Abigail Adams Mystery, #1) A Marked Man (An Abigail Adams Mystery, #2)