Start by marking “Pink” as Want to Read:
Pink

Pink

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,043 Ratings  ·  391 Reviews

Ava is tired of her ultracool attitude, ultraradical politics, and ultrablack clothing. She's ready to try something new—she's even ready to be someone new. Someone who fits in, someone with a gorgeous boyfriend, someone who wears pink.

But Ava soon finds that changing herself is more complicated than changing her wardrobe. Even getting involved in the school musical raises

Published (first published August 1st 2009)

Wendy Darling
It's really weird to not know how to rate a book. I don't normally use images in my reviews, but in this particular case, there's no better way to clearly explain the yo-yo-ing of my opinions as I was reading this novel.

description

See what the problem was?

The beginning of the story thrusts us into the unlikely scenario of Ava suddenly switching schools because she wants to go to a place where it's okay to wear pink. "Pink" is the code word for not only the freedom to wear girly clothes and sport your nat
Flannery

So there's that.
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later: an Aussie YA novel I didn’t enjoy at all! In fact, if not for my two wonderful readalong partners who made the experience not only bearable, but extremely fun, I would have given up after a hundred pages or so.

Ava’s parents are supposedly very liberal, and her girlfriend Chloe has an owerpowering personality. Together they’re pushing Ava into an alternative lifestyle she secretly hates. Oddly enough, all Ava wants is to wear pink and sing in a music
Tatiana
May 14, 2011 Tatiana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of E. Lockhart
Recommended to Tatiana by: Flannery
Shelves: ya, chick-lit, 2011, aus-nz
Pink is one of those rare books that are both easy-breezy and fun to read and not shallow. For some reason I have a hard time finding them. On the other hand, good depressing books about death/drugs/abuse/disability are much easier to come across, for me anyway.

In a few words, it's a story about not worrying about what people think you are or should be, not boxing yourself into "approved" social niches and just embracing your own individuality.

Not a groundbreaking premise, but the amusing cast
Emily May
Mar 30, 2012 Emily May rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, 2011

I think the words "this book was written by an Australian author" would suffice. But then it just wouldn't be as fun for me :D

This book was on my mental TBR list long before I became a member of goodreads and before I had written a single review. It's taken me all this time to get around to reading it and I can honestly say: I was missing out! It covers all the issues that I'm interested in: feminism, femininity, individuality, sexuality and stereotyping. Plus, I like pink, regardless of whatev
Arlene
Apr 27, 2011 Arlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Arlene by: Booker Aussie Tour - Alexa
Are you in the mood to lose your bottle of oil? Are you looking for one more example of Australian literary brilliance? Well then I suggest you give Pink by Lili Wilkinson a try. This coming of age story is filled with moments of hilarity, chagrin, deep thought, huge let downs and rewarding endings. I truly enjoyed Ava’s journey of self discovery that was filled with the right amount of screw-ups.

Pink starts off with Ava deciding to switch schools and attend Billy Hughes academy. She’s on a que
Steph Su
THAT’S IT. Upon my college graduation this May, I am packing up my worldly possessions and moving to Australia, land of infinite YA talent. I have been fortunate enough to read a number of wonderful Aussie YA authors—Cath Crowley, Kathy Charles, Kirsty Eagar, Jaclyn Moriarty, Melina Marchetta—but Lili Wilkinson’s PINK raised in me the rare and wonderful feeling of wanting to walk up to everyone I see and go, “This book. Oh my word. It’s…words fail me in describing its awesome. READ IT.” I’m goin ...more
Limonessa

It all starts with a pink cashmere sweater.
That's what Ava wants to wear instead of her usual goth all-black attire. Because, you see, Ava is a lesbian and a feminist and does not wear pink. Or maybe she isn't. What is sure is that Ava is in the middle of a crisis, with her girlfriend, with her beliefs, with her sexual orientation.
By applying to a posh private school, she hopes to get a fresh start and be able to experiment being someone else from whom she is usually expected to be.
Jay
Chachic
Jul 21, 2011 Chachic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted here.

I've been neglecting the Aussie YA Challenge the past few months because I still have the rest of the year to finish it and I only need two more books. But when my good friend Celina offered to let me borrow her copy of Pink by Lili Wilkinson, I decided to go ahead and read it. I've been hearing good things about this book. Also, that's one less book for me to buy. Thanks again, Celina, for lending your copy. :)

Pink is a delightful, contemporary Aussie read. It's all about
Heather
Mar 28, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, ala-s-best-books, 2011
I can’t coo over this book enough. It wasn’t at all what I was expecting, but was blown away by what I got.

Ava is just an ordinary goth girl, born to liberal parents and possessing an ultra-hip, feminist crusading girl friend. Ava knows her role and it has served her well. Problem is Ava wants more. She’s tired of always wearing black, especially when she is nursing a secret love of Pink, and though her girl-friend is great and mega hot, Ava sort of wants a boyfriend, just to see what it’s like.
Tina
Nov 29, 2011 Tina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Original post at One More Page

Ava is sixteen, and she has a secret. No, her secret is not that she's gay and that she has a girlfriend. Her secret is this: she wants to be a normal girl. Ava is 16, and she has very liberal parents and she has an ultra-radical, ultra-feminist and ultra-cool girlfriend, Chloe, who she knows she loves. But Ava is tired of being ultra-cool and always wearing black. She wants to care about school. She wants to study. She wants to fit in. She wants to even try dating
Thebookbutterfly
PINK is probably the best novel that I've read all year--the humor, the plot, the characters are so refreshing and realistic and I just want to hug this book because it's so. freaking. good.
Ava is a quasi-goth emo lesbian that applies to Billy Hughes to reinvent herself. New friends, new wardrobe--she's going to date boys and be pretty and popular and most importantly: be pink. But it's diffecult to be all of these things and continue to see her girlfriend Chloe and get along with the school's
Carla
Nov 22, 2011 Carla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aussie-ya
I honestly feel like this entire theme month has been me like cyberly grabbing hold of you guys by the shoulders and jumping up and down like crazy, chanting READ THIS READ THIS OMG READ THIS READ IT OMGGGGG!!!!!!!! So picture that in your mind eye, because that is PRECISELY what I am doing now. I am grabbing you and shouting right in ur face. And you love it.

Because Pink is a book that ur going to want to read. Srsly. This is like contemporary fiction at its absolute best, and Wilkinson is a ga
Isamlq
Dec 26, 2011 Isamlq rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were moments when Ava went 'I'm ashamed of me' that I was nodding along… because I was ashamed of her too. This bright girl was prone to sticking her foot in it and saying the most awkward of things. Talk of normal versus common is likely to piss some one off... and I'm not the exception. But I’ll be frank, Ava on one hand endearing and on the other positively infuriating.

Endearing.

She’s unsure of what she wants, what she wants and who she is. She’s not a hundred percent on what makes he
Karyn Silverman
Nov 06, 2010 Karyn Silverman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, z2010-reads, arcs
Fun and cozy, with heart. Semi-goth emo lesbian Ava has a few deep dark secrets: she loves school, wants to wear pink, and is curious about kissing boys. But when she tries to lead a double life, things get crazy and she manages to hurt a lot of people she loves.
Ava never comes to life quite as much as the people around her, who comprise one of the best secondary casts ever, and it's not always clear what others see in her-- which may reflect Ava's own insecurity, since she's narrating, and she
Karen Healey
Aug 09, 2009 Karen Healey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Set in Melbourne, this is the story of Ava, who has a girlfriend, and bohemian parents, and black-dyed hair and a secret desire to wear pink. So she transfers to another school and falls in with the Pastels and is set up with a boy, my goodness, and it is awesome and smart and hilarious and sweet and absolutely drenched in geek aesthetic. It is one hella sharp and entertaining read.

Oh, and there's a school musical! And she's on crew! Therein lie SHENANIGANS. Techies forever, amirite?
I
3/5.

In this book we follow a teenage queer girl (is she gay? is she bi? WHO KNOWS. NOT HER ANYWAYS) called Ava who *gasps* likes girly stuff!! Like pink things and fashion and going shopping!!!! This proves not to go down well with her wannabe-goth, intellectual hipster of a girlfriend called Chloe. Ava changes schools to get away from Chloe so that she can ~be herself~ and starts hanging out with a gang that 1) really resembles the Plastics from Mean Girls 2) are just your stereotypical rude po
K
Mar 26, 2011 K rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
This was a great book.

Ava has just gotten into Billy Hughes School for Academic Excellence. At Billy Hughes, Ava has the chance to be a pink-wearing, boy-liking, *girl*. She loves her girlfriend and doesn’t mind putting up with Chloe’s rants against the evil du jour. She appreciates and respects her progressive and outspoken parents. And, hey, she hates misogyny as much as the next woman. But she also likes pink. She wants to enjoy learning without persecution. She wants to ditch her all-black,
Jamie
Jun 11, 2011 Jamie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jamie by: www.capitolchoices.org
At about the halfway point of 2011, I think this is about my favorite thus far.

Great characters who you really pulled for, a true depiction of how it feels to be pulled in many different directions at once, HILARIOUSLY accurate portrait of teenage pretentiousness. And considering it's about hugh school musical theater, even my hatred of all things Glee didn't sully it (it reminded me more of the excellent Dramarama by E. Lockhart.)

Now, a note on heartwarming crowdpleasers. Because this book kin
Angela
Mar 25, 2011 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yaaaaaaaaay for a book about a bisexual!

Well, Ava doesn't apply that label to herself, but for shorthand purposes the label works. Ava makes it very clear that her relationship with her girlfriend isn't a phase or anything. But she's curious about boys, too. More books need to represent this fluidity of the Kinsey scale.

More to love: musical theatre geeks, SF references, and feminist discussions (though I have to say, Ava wasn't living in the most forward-thinking-feminist environment with some
Doreen
Jan 28, 2011 Doreen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
If I could give this book 4 and a half stars I would. I actually almost feel bad for not giving it five stars, but it lacks a certain gravitas that makes me resist giving it the best possible review. Don't get me wrong: this is one of the best young adult novels I've read in a while. But I don't feel it's a classic, or at least, I don't think so yet. I'll probably come back to this review and change my mind in a while.

The book itself covers the lengths to which a young Australian girl, Ava, will
Brianna (The Book Vixen)
Review copy provided by publisher

Why I Read this Book: The first thing that caught my attention is that cover. I love it! It really stands out and catches your eye. The premise sounded interesting enough however, the book didn’t live up to my expectations.

What I Liked: The writing was good in that it flowed well and was easy to read without any hang-ups. And the title and the cover are a good fit for this book.

The people in the stage crew were a fun group. I love the camaraderie between them. Sa
Adele
Jul 29, 2010 Adele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How can you be true to yourself, when you have no idea who you actually are? If you want to get to the centre of this pink-fetish delight, then that question is what you would find. Pink is fabulous because it's the antithesis of what it sounds like. There's nothing soft, fluffy or sweet about this novel. Wilkinson's slices, dices and shreds her way through dialogue to get to the real heart of the matter...and the characters. I mean that in the best way possible, teens don't cushion the truth an ...more
Meghan
Apr 27, 2016 Meghan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, lgbtq
Pink is about Ava, an Australian girl in high school who dresses all in black and has a glamorous girlfriend and progressive parents wholly supportive of her sexual identity. Ava has considered herself a hip lesbian, but she has a secret: she's going to transfer to private school and start dressing like a girl who shops at the mall. She wants to try to be "normal" and maybe date a guy, but, more importantly, wear pink sweaters and pastel clothes and be popular.

Of course, this ends up being abou
Samrat
Jun 11, 2011 Samrat rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What?! Say again? I'm having trouble hearing your moralizing with all these offensive stereotypes and tired cliches in the way! I was going to bump it up to two stars for featuring the underrepresented bisexual, but then I got to the bisexuality-is-really-just-an-excuse-to-date-a-man-and-a-woman-at-the-same-time part and took it back.

If any of my book-friends are thinking of reading this, ask me for the full diatribe, but otherwise, I'm not going to spend more time on a review with so many good
Adriana Bayless
Pink follows Ava, who decides to enroll in a new school known as Billy Hughes. Ava's main reason for this is to decide who she really is since before enrolling in the school she was known as the lesbian dating Chloe. So though I did overall enjoy this novel, I had several problems with it. My number one problem was the characters. Ava was an interesting narrator; it was fun and interesting going on the "discovering who you are" journey. However, I think the way she went about it was very childis ...more
Milly
Feb 26, 2012 Milly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
That was emotionally exhausting. I sure don't envy Ava and her identity crisis.
Patricia
The cover put me off a little. Well, just being honest. But the blurb got my attention - that's what really matters, yeah?

Reading Pink was a breeze. It was sharp, funny and full of witty dialogues. I kept turning page after page even though it was already wee hours into the night. So far there are only two kinds of books that can make me this hooked - either there's lots of action and adrenaline-rush going on, or it's comedic enough to spur me on. Obviously, Pink was the latter.

I loved how the
Suzanne
Jan 06, 2013 Suzanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of novels follow an ordinary girl into her extraordinary experiences taking a walk on the wild side. Ava, the protagonist of Pink, is unique in the direction of her trajectory, perhaps, but in wanting to see what she might or might not be missing, she is an Every-Teen. Or, hell, maybe an every one of us. I certainly didn’t grow out of my “grass-is-always-greener” syndrome when I turned 18—or even 40!

Ava’s Point A is this: living in Australia with her liberal college professor parents, she f
  • Beatle Meets Destiny
  • Putting Makeup on the Fat Boy
  • Sister Mischief
  • Everything Beautiful
  • Jumpstart the World
  • Tessa Masterson Will Go to Prom
  • Queen of the Night (This is Shyness, #2)
  • All I Ever Wanted
  • Joel and Cat Set the Story Straight
  • It's Our Prom (So Deal With It)
  • Raincheck on Timbuktu
  • A Straight Line to My Heart
  • The Whole of My World
  • Preloved
1959059
Lili Wilkinson was born in Melbourne, Australia, in the front room where her parents still live. She is an only child, and loves it. She was first published when she was 12, in Voiceworks Magazine. After studying Creative Arts at Melbourne University, Lili was employed by the Centre for Youth Literature at the State Library of Victoria, where she manages insideadog.com.au, a highly acclaimed all-a ...more
More about Lili Wilkinson...

“This episode of my life is brought to you by the letters W, t, and F. I do not understand.” 14 likes
“No, seriously,' choked Sam, his eyes streaming. 'You're such a loser, that you've actually stopped losing and have progressed to having just lost. It's over. The game is over. You have lost the game of life. Do not pass Go. Do not collect two hundred dollars.” 7 likes