Start by marking “Hemingway: The Paris Years” as Want to Read:
Hemingway: The Paris Years

Hemingway: The Paris Years (Reynolds' Hemingway #2)

These are the heady times of the Nick Adams short stories, Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby, and the writing of The Sun Also Rises. These are also the years of Hemingway's first marriage to Hadley Richardson, the birth of his first son, and his discovery of the bullfights at Pamplona.
Published May 17th 1999 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published October 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Hemingway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hemingway

Follies of God by James GrissomI Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya AngelouDust Tracks on a Road by Zora Neale HurstonThe Big Sea by Langston HughesTalking at the Gates by James Campbell
Author Biographies and Memoirs
169th out of 172 books — 51 voters
Among the Bohemians by Virginia NicholsonThe Sisters by Mary S. LovellDreaming with His Eyes Open by Patrick MarnhamEverybody Behaves Badly by Lesley M.M. BlumeJohann Trollmann and Romani Resistance to the Nazis by Jud Nirenberg
Twisted '20s
11th out of 58 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

If you like Hemingway, check this one out; if you do not, skip it. Michael Reynolds delves into excruciating, repetitive detail about Hemingway's formative writing years in Paris. He discusses Hemingway's marriage with Hadley Richardson, as well as his interactions with other writers/artists like Gertrude Stein, Alice B. Toklas, and F. Scott Fitzgerald. I appreciated Reynolds' honesty in his portrayal of Hemingway. But I kept asking myself: why do people even care about this man?

Thanks for putti
Oct 14, 2014 Chrissie rated it it was ok
2 stars

Reynolds' biography of Hemingway is more an analysis of what Hemingway has written than an examination of his inner soul. This book, the second in Reynold's series on Hemingway, covers only four years 1922-1926, predominantly set in Paris but also Spain, Italy,Turkey and Austria. In 1924 Hemingway began to receive acclaim. It covers his marriage to Hadley and his growing infatuation with Pauline, who will be his next wife. It covers the
Brian Willis
Jul 07, 2014 Brian Willis rated it it was amazing
Volume 2 tells the story of how Hemingway became Hemingway. Arriving in Paris, Ernest was a newlywed in search of literary connections. By the end of the book, Hemingway returns to Paris after signing his fateful contract with Scribner's to publish The Sun Also Rises and about to leave his first wife for his second. He made literary friendships with Ezra Pound, Gertrude Stein, Ford Madox Ford, and F. Scott Fitzgerald, all of whom contributed in significant ways to his growth as a writer. I found ...more
Feb 22, 2011 Kim rated it it was amazing
A fabulous piece of biography. I strongly recommend it to anyone who has enjoyed Hemingway or travel writing, or just plain good writing. A sympathetic, but clear eyed portrayal of Hemingway, thoroughly researched.
Aug 15, 2015 John rated it it was amazing
I love Ernest Hemingway, and I look forward to reading the rest of Reynolds' biographical series on Hemingway's early life and his later life, this one, regarding his 1920s "apprenticeship" learning how to perfect short stories, write a novel, and navigate life, is really telling as an aspiring novelist and current expatriate.

What struck me about this was it portrays Hemingway as a very real human being, not an idealized "great American novelist," writing in private, soldiering in secret, fucki
Feb 04, 2016 Mike rated it it was amazing
Hemingway in Paris is more than a companion to Shakespeare and Company and A Moveable Feast, it is almost the essential Hemingway book. Reynold's amazed me with the details and the understanding that cover these years of writing that could be called the apprenticeship. It details the difficulty of the writer in getting his voice and getting it published.

It is insightful in diagnosing writing and also the writer. Hemingway is a mix of a good-time companion and a vicious antagonist. He goes throug
Lauren Albert
Sep 30, 2013 Lauren Albert rated it really liked it
Reynolds does an excellent job of showing Hemingway developing as a writer while also showing his flaws. Reynolds clearly thinks Hemingway is a genius yet can still see honestly his rewriting of his past, his jealousy, his antisemitism, etc. He shows how Hemingway learned from other writers--what he took away and what he dropped by the wayside.
Apr 29, 2011 Bradley rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
I really enjoyed this book. I especially enjoyed reading this book after reading "A Moveable Feast". Michael Reynolds dives into Hemingway and what he was up to during his years living and writing in Paris. Consider it a companion book to Hemingway's "A Moveable Feast".
Nov 19, 2009 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: biographies
I just adore him and after visiting Key West I find I want to read more about his life interacting with the other great artists of the early 20th century in Europe at the time.
May 09, 2016 Zardoz rated it really liked it
First and let's get this out of the way. Yes, Hemingway was a complete bastard to a lot of people. I'm not talking about being politically correct by today's SJW standards. He was a bully and like most bullies this was brought on by his own insecurities.
I've read most everything he wrote and loved most of it. If you're a Hemingway fanboy you will love this book. If not prepare to discover that one of the 20th centuries greatest writer's was a deeply flawed vindictive ass.
Now that that's settled
Feb 07, 2016 Quiet rated it really liked it
Excellent biography of Hemingway's years in Paris. Reynolds really digs into all of the information available, and when possible even covers Hem's life from a daily perspective.

Absolutely loved reading this, and anyone else who enjoys Lost Generation fiction and life-style will be as impressed as I was, I'm sure. I don't think this biography conquers Hemingway's own "A Movable Feast" in terms of covering/describing Paris, but it does provide additional details and insights into those covered by
Jan 04, 2016 Janice rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
After reading several well-researched biographies marred by clunky prose, it was a pleasure to read this one that has the pace and flow of a novel. If I had more time, I would read more in this sequence, but this was the volume that overlaps the most with the current Hemingway exhibit at the Morgan Library (fall 2015-winter 2016).
Aug 11, 2014 justjotter rated it it was amazing
For those who love Hemingway or are fans of "Midnight In Paris" or both, this book is a must read. Provides informative background to the years Hemingway spent in Paris between 1922 - 25. Descriptive prose paint a realistic picture of the times with harming detail. You will feel as you've traveled back in time, much like Gil Pender.
Aug 12, 2015 Sharon rated it really liked it
Surprisingly satisfying as a biography. A lot of insight offered, especially into Hemingway's mindset in a particular moment or situation. Talks as much about his craft as his love life, which is always interesting. I found it really enjoyable to read along with the short stories in chronological order.
Apr 10, 2016 Janice rated it really liked it
What a time to have lived in Paris. So many interesting and eccentric folks with which to mingle.
David Carr
Aug 06, 2013 David Carr rated it really liked it
Reynolds' form of biography is different - there appears to be a lot of speculation as to what Hemingway is thinking. How could Reynolds know this? One of the very interesting things about this series is that it tells exactly what Hemingway was working on, where he was, and what else was going on in his life. This provides insight into the symbolism and meaning of his books and stories. I recommend that you read or reread what he is writing as you read about him writing it. This is particularly ...more
Fabulous. The peak of Hemingway's life.....
Aug 24, 2012 Manfred rated it really liked it
A good insight into young Hemingway, from his growing depression to finding his own voice to his petty resentments and jealousies. Also useful as a glimpse into the Left Bank of the 20s, where by 1924 the golden age was already fading under the pressure of tourists from Peoria.

Hemingway was definitely not an overnight success (his first book took a year to sell around 20 copies), and Reynolds does a nice job of guiding us through Hemingway's most important years. Highly recommended for anyone wh
Nicole G.
Jul 22, 2008 Nicole G. rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008
I'm reading these biographies out of order, but that's alright. Here we find Hemingway in the 1920s, still married to his first wife, Hadley, and father to Bumby, and one wonders if he ever really wanted a child. This is where Hem really buckles down in his literary life, to produce The Sun Also Rises and begin to make a name for himself.
Michael de Percy
Feb 17, 2014 Michael de Percy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-reviewed
Having read Reynolds' Hemingway in the 30s, I found The Paris Years to be less dull and more like a Hemingway novel. This may well be a result of more information being available about this time period (from A Moveable Feast and so forth) but otherwise, by the second half of the book, this volume had me hooked.
May 13, 2015 Catherine rated it really liked it
This is the only Hemingway bio that I've read by Reynolds, but I hope to read more. Reynolds is thorough and engaging; he's a skilled writer, and he's objective.
Linda Strawn
I liked The Paris Wife much better! Had I not read it first I would be very confused. It was ok.
Aug 29, 2011 Nicholas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hemingway
The roaring 20's, Paris, great artists, and the bastard Hemingway.
Graham Tennyson
Apr 14, 2015 Graham Tennyson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hemingway
This is what Hem was about. This book goes to the heart of it.
Morcivert Sapkali
Sep 02, 2013 Morcivert Sapkali rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2013 Brian added it
Jasmina Zarkovic
Jasmina Zarkovic marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2016
Monika Tucker
Monika Tucker rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2016
Meredith Merville
Meredith Merville is currently reading it
Oct 19, 2016
Mary Nieberg-berry
Mary Nieberg-berry rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2016
  • Charmed Circle: Gertrude Stein and Company
  • Hemingway: A Biography
  • Exile's Return: A Literary Odyssey of the 1920s
  • Sylvia Beach and the Lost Generation: A History of Literary Paris in the Twenties and Thirties
  • The Hemingway Women: Those Who Love Him - The Wives And Others
  • Women of the Left Bank
  • Shakespeare and Company
  • Paris Was a Woman: Portraits from the Left Bank
  • John Steinbeck, Writer
As part of Reynolds' lifelong research, aided by his wife and editor Ann, he followed Hemingway's travels through Spain, France, Switzerland, Austria, Italy and Key West, Fla., and visited the novelist's childhood home in Oak Park, Ill.

Reynolds served on the editorial board of the Hemingway Review. He also helped establish the Hemingway Society, which presents the annual Ernest Hemingway Foundatio
More about Michael S. Reynolds...

Reynolds' Hemingway (5 books)
  • The Young Hemingway