Start by marking “Hemingway: The Paris Years” as Want to Read:
Hemingway: The Paris Years

Hemingway: The Paris Years (Reynolds' Hemingway #2)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  233 ratings  ·  15 reviews
These are the heady times of the Nick Adams short stories, Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby, and the writing of The Sun Also Rises. These are also the years of Hemingway's first marriage to Hadley Richardson, the birth of his first son, and his discovery of the bullfights at Pamplona.
Published May 17th 1999 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published October 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Hemingway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hemingway

Chrissie
2 stars
MY REVIEW HAS BEEN REVISED AFTER COMPLETING THE BOOK

Reynolds' biography of Hemingway is more an analysis of what Hemingway has written than an examination of his inner soul. This book, the second in Reynold's series on Hemingway, covers only four years 1922-1926, predominantly set in Paris but also Spain, Italy,Turkey and Austria. In 1924 Hemingway began to receive acclaim. It covers his marriage to Hadley and his growing infatuation with Pauline, who will be his next wife. It covers the
Brian Willis
Volume 2 tells the story of how Hemingway became Hemingway. Arriving in Paris, Ernest was a newlywed in search of literary connections. By the end of the book, Hemingway returns to Paris after signing his fateful contract with Scribner's to publish The Sun Also Rises and about to leave his first wife for his second. He made literary friendships with Ezra Pound, Gertrude Stein, Ford Madox Ford, and F. Scott Fitzgerald, all of whom contributed in significant ways to his growth as a writer. I found ...more
Lauren Albert
Reynolds does an excellent job of showing Hemingway developing as a writer while also showing his flaws. Reynolds clearly thinks Hemingway is a genius yet can still see honestly his rewriting of his past, his jealousy, his antisemitism, etc. He shows how Hemingway learned from other writers--what he took away and what he dropped by the wayside.
Bradley
I really enjoyed this book. I especially enjoyed reading this book after reading "A Moveable Feast". Michael Reynolds dives into Hemingway and what he was up to during his years living and writing in Paris. Consider it a companion book to Hemingway's "A Moveable Feast".
Kim
A fabulous piece of biography. I strongly recommend it to anyone who has enjoyed Hemingway or travel writing, or just plain good writing. A sympathetic, but clear eyed portrayal of Hemingway, thoroughly researched.
Karen
I just adore him and after visiting Key West I find I want to read more about his life interacting with the other great artists of the early 20th century in Europe at the time.
justjotter
For those who love Hemingway or are fans of "Midnight In Paris" or both, this book is a must read. Provides informative background to the years Hemingway spent in Paris between 1922 - 25. Descriptive prose paint a realistic picture of the times with harming detail. You will feel as you've traveled back in time, much like Gil Pender.
David Carr
Reynolds' form of biography is different - there appears to be a lot of speculation as to what Hemingway is thinking. How could Reynolds know this? One of the very interesting things about this series is that it tells exactly what Hemingway was working on, where he was, and what else was going on in his life. This provides insight into the symbolism and meaning of his books and stories. I recommend that you read or reread what he is writing as you read about him writing it. This is particularly ...more
Manfred
A good insight into young Hemingway, from his growing depression to finding his own voice to his petty resentments and jealousies. Also useful as a glimpse into the Left Bank of the 20s, where by 1924 the golden age was already fading under the pressure of tourists from Peoria.

Hemingway was definitely not an overnight success (his first book took a year to sell around 20 copies), and Reynolds does a nice job of guiding us through Hemingway's most important years. Highly recommended for anyone wh
Nicole G.
I'm reading these biographies out of order, but that's alright. Here we find Hemingway in the 1920s, still married to his first wife, Hadley, and father to Bumby, and one wonders if he ever really wanted a child. This is where Hem really buckles down in his literary life, to produce The Sun Also Rises and begin to make a name for himself.
Michael de Percy
Having read Reynolds' Hemingway in the 30s, I found The Paris Years to be less dull and more like a Hemingway novel. This may well be a result of more information being available about this time period (from A Moveable Feast and so forth) but otherwise, by the second half of the book, this volume had me hooked.
Linda Strawn
I liked The Paris Wife much better! Had I not read it first I would be very confused. It was ok.
Nicholas
The roaring 20's, Paris, great artists, and the bastard Hemingway.
Graham Tennyson
This is what Hem was about. This book goes to the heart of it.
Brian
Jun 20, 2013 Brian added it
good
Melanie Reed
Melanie Reed is currently reading it
Dec 24, 2014
Emily Meek
Emily Meek marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Jimmy Mac
Jimmy Mac is currently reading it
Dec 18, 2014
Nick B
Nick B marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Ryan Dodds
Ryan Dodds marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Jane Soroka
Jane Soroka marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Rob Orozco
Rob Orozco marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
  • Exile's Return: A Literary Odyssey of the 1920s
  • Sylvia Beach and the Lost Generation: A History of Literary Paris in the Twenties and Thirties
  • Memoirs of Montparnasse
  • Hemingway: A Biography
  • Paris Noir: African-Americans in the City of Light
  • Paris Was Yesterday, 1925-1939
  • The Hemingway Women
  • The Romantic Egoists: A Pictorial Autobiography from the Scrapbooks and Albums of F. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald
  • Hemingway: a Life Story
  • Josephine Baker: The Hungry Heart
  • Wild Heart: A Life: Natalie Clifford Barney and the Decadence of Literary Paris
  • Hemingway vs. Fitzgerald
  • Simone de Beauvoir: A Biography
  • Shakespeare and Company
As part of Reynolds' lifelong research, aided by his wife and editor Ann, he followed Hemingway's travels through Spain, France, Switzerland, Austria, Italy and Key West, Fla., and visited the novelist's childhood home in Oak Park, Ill.

Reynolds served on the editorial board of the Hemingway Review. He also helped establish the Hemingway Society, which presents the annual Ernest Hemingway Foundatio
More about Michael S. Reynolds...
The Young Hemingway Hemingway: The Final Years Hemingway: The 1930s Hemingway: The Homecoming Hemingway: The 1930s through the Final Years