Start by marking “Dead of Night (Dead of Night, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dead of Night (Dead of Night, #1)

Dead of Night (Dead of Night #1)

3.96  ·  Rating Details ·  5,028 Ratings  ·  442 Reviews
A prison doctor injects a condemned serial killer with a formula designed to keep his consciousness awake while his body rots in the grave. But all drugs have unforeseen side-effects. Before he could be buried, the killer wakes up. Hungry. Infected. Contagious. This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang…but a bite.
Published October 25th 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin

World War Z by Max BrooksThe Zombie Survival Guide by Max BrooksThe Walking Dead, Vol. 01 by Robert KirkmanFeed by Mira GrantPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
Zombies!
1,432 books — 3,987 voters
World War Z by Max BrooksZombie Fallout by Mark TufoA Plague Upon Your Family by Mark TufoThe End by Mark TufoFeed by Mira Grant
Best Zombie Books
1,085 books — 2,651 voters

More lists with this book...

Lucy
I haven't been reviewing books as much this year and while I want to change that this probably isn't the best book to start with. Dead of Night was written in the most effortless and trite way possible. The characters were two dimensional clichés, the dialogue was rife with overused movie lines (I seriously kept expecting someone to say 'come with me if you want to live'), and even the situations could have been Frankenstein-ed from a bunch of horror and action movies like a fan-made youtube tra ...more
Mr. Matt
Sep 12, 2014 Mr. Matt rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, zombies, 2015
A mortician is going about his daily business. He unzips a body bag and *powie* the stiff opens his eyes, grins and chomps into the unsuspecting mortician. And so begins the zombie apocalypse. The dead guy goes out and kills some more people. The dead doc wakes up, kills some people. And the people they kill wake up and kill some more people. Typical zombie Armageddon stuff.

Unfortunately, based upon the excellent Rot & Ruin by the same author, I was expecting more. Don't get me wrong. It is
Lou
Jun 01, 2011 Lou rated it really liked it
I interviewed Jonathan Maberry recently here. He talks about writing, favorite books, Bram Stoker Awards and Martial arts.

A military bio-weapon could be the most dangerous weapon to us all.
Maberry takes you back through the turning process to where it all started with the first host.
Homer Gibbon was the states most notorious serial killer others watched and saw him be killed via lethal injection or did they?
There is death and then life again well kind of, the undead shall walk upon the earth a
Timothy Ward
Oct 14, 2014 Timothy Ward rated it really liked it
Jonathan Maberry is a talented writer. In a genre full of similar stories with cliche descriptions, Dead of Night was refreshing and scary. The other book I've read of his, Patient Zero, had some of the best zombie action I've read. Where that book was more of a thriller with zombies, Dead of Night is a more traditional, zombie outbreak in a small town type of story, which is more to my preference. If you like that kind of book, I recommend reading Dead of Night.

Dead of Night is about a troubled
Rick Fisher
Mar 07, 2012 Rick Fisher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I have tried my hand at a few zombie novels, most of which have paled in comparision to watching "The Walking Dead", on television. But, finally, a novel that does the genre just right.
"Dead of Night" is an intense, visceral, non-stop read. And, scary in that, the premise almost makes the scenario seem possible.
There are a few drawbacks in this one. The lead character, Desdemona Fox, Dez to everyone who knows her, is not a likable character. Not in the least. She has one or two redeeming tra
Jason Brown (Toastx2)
Mar 12, 2012 Jason Brown (Toastx2) rated it it was amazing
If you put all cultural Zombie dogma together and made a box, we would all be mewling puppies inside said box with Maberry using a nail gun to give us breathing holes to avoid suffocation.

In the publication of ‘Dead of Night’, Jonathan Maberry succeeds again in providing a Zombie novel that is not crippled by generations of genre dogma. Others are also participating in the uncrippling of the genre, (D. Wellington, S.G. Browne, M. Brooks) helping drive a resurrection to a dying and over saturated
Liz
Jan 18, 2012 Liz rated it liked it
Not bad. It's very readable; good characters, good narrative. Problem is that it's all been done before and any zombie fan won't find much of anything new here. Bar one thing, and that's what makes me give this three (and a half - I really, really wish we could give half stars because this book deserves this half one) stars instead of a lower rating. We actually get to see inside the minds of the dead, learn about the people trapped inside there, and that ratchets up the horror of the whole thin ...more
Ms. Nikki
I'm going to go with 5 Stars on this one. A very fast paced read that had my stomach in knots. I loved the way the undead scenario started. A fantastic read. Highly recommend for undead\zombie fans~
Kaisersoze
Oct 05, 2013 Kaisersoze rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
My fourth audiobook was my favourite one yet, but still not as enjoyable as reading at my own pace. I would never have even listened to Dead of Night (and would have instead eventually read it as an ebook) were it not for the fact that I forgot to suspend my Australian audiobook account. $14.95 later, I figured I may as well pick something and go with it. Dead of Night was that choice, and for the most part, it was a good one.

Narrator William Dufris is expressive and engaging as he relates the h
Jessi Adams
Oct 02, 2011 Jessi Adams rated it really liked it
Dead of Night is a zombie story that takes place in rural Pennsylvania. The background to the story is a little different than your standard. A government scientist working at a prison hospital decides that the lethal injection is too good for a particularly bad serial killer, so he decides to inject him with genetically engineered parasites, which will keep his mind aware while his body rots in the coffin. Things start to go awry when instead of being buried in a government cemetery, an elderly ...more
Char
Oct 13, 2011 Char rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A serial killer is executed by lethal injection. But was the injection actually lethal? This is a zombie novel and contains all the things a successful zombie novel should; nasty zombies that not only bite but spew a maggot filled contagious substance; protagonists you respect and admire,and an IN YOUR FACE ending.
Can you imagine anything worse than a zombie whose conscious mind is still functioning but has no control? Totally aware of what he is doing and what has happened to him but unable to
Neil
Aug 03, 2013 Neil rated it really liked it
Good story. Some good characters didn't really like dez the main character. Gibbon and Volker my favs as they were interesting. 4 star book.
Liz at Fictional Candy
Oct 20, 2011 Liz at Fictional Candy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: zombie, horror
Ok, this is my first Jonathan Maberry book, and I am completely blown away. Dead of Night was flipping awesome. I'm glad I listened to Christy @ Christy's Love of Books and got on board with this series - now I just have to find time to read the rest of his books!

Dead of Night is gruesome and gut wrenching.... like seriously, I was reading this, and my innards threatened to become outards. It was fabulously disgusting! It's like Maberry gets zombie guts and puts them under a microscrope for you
Karla Phillips
Jun 28, 2011 Karla Phillips rated it it was amazing
How would you like it if the world you know it ends with a bite and not a bang? For Officer Desdemona Fox, Officer JT Hammond, and Billy Trout the reporter this is how the world they knew it ended. It ended when a doctor decided to make a bioweapon that turned people into Zombies. A very infectious disease, it was spread through a bite or even one of these creatures spitting black blood at you that was full of parasites. The parasites are little white larvae that are born pregnant that keep the ...more
Andrea Olson
Apr 01, 2013 Andrea Olson rated it did not like it
I have officially given up on reading zombie books. I just wanted one good one!! Instead, I got a mediocre one about a guy in Spain willing to sacrifice the world for his stupid cat, one that's a political thriller that only said it has zombies in it, and now this book.

I don't mind profanity in a book, if it serves a purpose, no other word could possibly describe the situation better, or if it is really how a character would express his/herself. However, when it moves from those uses to "Hey, lo
Leah
Feb 21, 2014 Leah rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

This is how the world ends.
Not with a bang...but a bite.

Mr. Maberry has done it again. He’s made an awesome zombie novel that has sucked me in and had me begging for the sequel so that I could continue consuming the story. Alas, I’ll have to wait until September to see how this story ends (although (view spoiler)
Kristin  (MyBookishWays Reviews)
Aug 12, 2011 Kristin (MyBookishWays Reviews) rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, arc, for-review
You may also read my review here: http://www.mybookishways.com/2011/10/...

It’s the perfect time for a zombie read,isn’t it? Halloween is just around the corner,spooky decorations are going up,and AMC’s The Walking Dead’s Season 2 premiered on Sunday night. Yep,perfect! If you’ve been following the blog for a while,it’s no secret that I’m a pretty rabid Jonathan Maberry fan,so when I got a copy of Dead of Night,it was all I could do not to drop my current read and dig in. Dead of Night is a zombi
Todd
Jan 16, 2012 Todd rated it really liked it
How does the world end?

On the eve of the destruction of one of the most abysmal human monsters to ever live, Dr. Herman Volkner is finally able to put the skeletons in his closet to bed. He’s the physician in charge of administering the lethal injection to the despicable Homer Gibbon, who’s responsible for the deaths of so many men, women, and children it’s easy to lose count.

Instead of administering the triple phase cocktail of sodium thiopental, pancuronium bromide, and potassium chloride, Vol
Christie
Aug 09, 2011 Christie rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
Dead of Night takes place in a small Pennsylvania town that becomes infested with flesh eating zombies after a notorious serial killer, injected with a serum that would cause his conciousness to stay aware once he was buried, awakes in the local funeral home and starts feasting on the unsuspecting residents. The epidemic spreads quickly through the small town and soon even the police force have become one of the walking dead.

Over the course of Dead of Night we see the chaos through the eyes of
Jessica Bronder
Jun 06, 2012 Jessica Bronder rated it it was amazing
The story starts at Hartnup’s Transition Estate, the local funeral home. The body of recently executed murderer Homer Gibbons has just arrived. A last minute change of plans has Homer coming to his aunt instead of the usual prison grave. But Homer is not really dead, and he is very hungry.

Dez, Desdemona Fox, and her partner JT Hammond are called out to check out the funeral home. When they get there, they find the mortician and the housekeeper chewed on and dead and an empty body bag. When backu
Unapologetic_Bookaholic
Book Specs

Title/Author
Dead of Night/J.Maberry

Series/Book #
Dead of night/1

Length
totally insane (300 pages or more)

Price
Free with audible membership

Genre
Horror/Zombies

Review may contain spoilers, read with caution; Read tags for other content
I listened to this twice before reviewing. As with any Maberry novel you are in it for the long haul with a great payoff. I have read several of his books and always keep coming back for more.

There is no way I can give a character break down but the most no
10/6 - Fantastic! The night I started this I had a zombie nightmare. I was very happy to wake up after a reasonably scary nightmare as I haven't read a book scary enough to actually effect me all the way through to my subconcious in a very long time - possibly not since I read The Exorcist when I was 12 and I dreamed/imagined there was a Linda Blair/Jason Voorhies mash-up in my wardrobe. To be continued...

13/06 - Another reviewer mentioned something about finding this cheesy and that they were e
Kat
Dec 15, 2011 Kat rated it it was amazing
Shelves: zombie
Dead of Night is pretty much exactly what I expected – instant action, great characters, government conspiracy and zombies by the truck-load.

I was instantly drawn in, for the reasons above, but also due to the inclusion of a serial killer which added a chilling twist, and the relationship between the characters of Dez, JT and Billy. The science behind the infection is well laid out and easy to understand whilst being an integral part of the story. There is a military/government influence in the
Wendy F
Jan 21, 2013 Wendy F rated it liked it
What an interesting way for the zombie apocalypse to start. It actually reminds me a bit of a documentary my husband and I watched explaining how the zombie apocalypse is possible. A strain of disease that's aggressive... do I think it's possible, nah... but what was fun about watching it/reading this, was maybe seeing how the science of it was completely possible.

I won't get too much into it. Let's just say that this zombie is created in a lab, by a man filled with vengeance.

Dead of Night actu
Bill
Nov 30, 2015 Bill rated it really liked it
So yeah, a zombie book. I really don't go looking for these, honest. But it's hard to ignore when I come across reviews and tons of raves for works like this and Brian Keene's The Rising. I just have to read for myself.

I had promised myself I would read more Jonathan Maberry after I had given up on his Pine Deep trilogy. The first novel of that was very good, but once he got into a romantic angle in the second book, it was so pedestrian that it almost made me physically ill.
But, it was becoming
Alondra
Nov 03, 2011 Alondra rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
3.5 Stars

Not too bad; but not nearly as good as the Rot and Ruin series or Joe Ledger series; but readable and entertaining. The 2nd half of the book made up for the first half irritating me.

Jonathan Maberry has become one of my favorite authors and still shines for me. He has set a standard for me on what to expect with a zombie story and this one just didn't do it for me... so it is his fault. Now on to some really great reading; book 3 in the R&R series, with Flesh and Bone. :D
Ignacio Senao f
Comienza bien, con una policía guapa y su compañero experimentado que son llamados para acudir al tanatorio por presunto robo. Ahí encuentran oscuridad y muertos que no quieren serlo y por ellos les atacaran.

Después del terror llegara un thriller para buscar que ha pasado, quien es el culpable. Pero no la solución. Sí veremos la Guardia Nacional para espantar una plaga que ocurrirá, y llegara el final jugoso de zombis.
Frances
Aug 22, 2012 Frances rated it liked it
Very fast-paced, pleasantly creepy. Heavy on the gore. The ending had a weirdly comic feel to it, actually.

I prefer his other stuff, but this was a solid quick pulp horror thriller.
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead

Well wasn't this a fun, zombie flesh filled delightful book. Started slow, but picked up speed and didn't stop until the end.

Review coming before the apocalypse.
Asheley
Oct 22, 2011 Asheley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult-fiction
(a similar version of this review can be found here at Into the Hall of Books: http://intothehallofbooks.blogspot.co...)

Dead of Night was my first Jonathan Maberry experience and all I can say is WOW! I read this book with no idea what to expect and a love for all things zombie. Really, that was all I needed because Mr. Maberry took care of the rest.

There are five main characters sharing narration:

1. Desdemona Fox (Dez), a sexy-with-an-attitude police officer with a drinking problem and a tons
SCAREDY CAT: recommended! 10 79 Nov 28, 2014 08:12AM
Goodreads Italia: La notte degli zombie, di Jonathan Maberry 3 18 Mar 31, 2013 07:12AM
  • Siege  (As The World Dies, #3)
  • Rise Again (Rise Again #1)
  • Pariah
  • Allison Hewitt Is Trapped (Zombie, #1)
  • Mutated  (Dead World, #4)
  • The Infection
  • Domain of the Dead (Domain of the Dead #1)
  • Eden
  • Rebirth (Aftertime, #2)
  • Omega Days (Omega Days, #1)
  • I Zombie I (I Zombie, #1)
  • Kings of the Dead
  • The New Dead: A Zombie Anthology
  • Dying to Live (Dying to Live, #1)
  • Raising Stony Mayhall
  • Thunder and Ashes (Morningstar Strain #2)
  • Autumn: The City
  • Zombie, Ohio
JONATHAN MABERRY is a New York Times best-selling and multiple Bram Stoker Award-winning horror and thriller author, magazine feature writer, playwright, content creator and writing teacher/lecturer. His books have been sold to more than a dozen countries.

His novels include the Pine Deep Trilogy: GHOST ROAD BLUES (Pinnacle books; winner of the Bram Stoker Award for Best First Novel in 2006), DEAD
More about Jonathan Maberry...

Dead of Night (3 books)
  • Fall of Night (Dead of Night, #2)
  • Dark of Night - Flesh and Fire

“She looked like a character from a video game. One of those improbably busty, impossibly well-armed superchicks who could do acrobatics and hit the kill zone even while firing guns from both hands during a cartwheel.

"You look fucking ridiculous," she told herself.”
12 likes